Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Medullah posted:

Don't we already have this game, and it's called Tekken?

Electric? No you can't do that, that is cheating! Also you can't do combos all the way to the wall, you have to drop it and let me get a few hits in there. Its only fair! If not I'm telling my mom you are cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Honda mirror... the crowd goes WILD...

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

Medullah posted:

Juggles are cheap too.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Ashenai posted:

Honda mirror... the crowd goes WILD...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8ax-OopF8Y

This is what that guy actually wants!

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Well deserved win.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I unironically enjoy watching Mike Ross play Honda mirrors.

thumb
Sep 9, 2003

Very large hands.

kaujot posted:

I unironically enjoy watching Mike Ross play Honda mirrors.

What does the "mirror" part refer to?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

thumb posted:

What does the "mirror" part refer to?

Both players playing the same character

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008
Shorthand for a match where the players pick the same character.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Brosnan posted:

..are trying to apply the design choices of other games to a game that isn't making any attempt to imitate those choices.

I wonder why more fighting games recently don't try more different things. I mean right now we have, what, three basic archetypes with a bit of variation? Even indie fighting games end up being something like "Hey it's Third Strike where someone moved some supers around and put parry on a button", not that I don't plan to play the poo poo out of Yatagarasu.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Klades posted:

I wonder why more fighting games recently don't try more different things. I mean right now we have, what, three basic archetypes with a bit of variation? Even indie fighting games end up being something like "Hey it's Third Strike where someone moved some supers around and put parry on a button", not that I don't plan to play the poo poo out of Yatagarasu.

Some indie fighting games are trying some cool new stuff, BaraBariBall comes to mind.

And Dive Kick I guess.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Klades posted:

Because most fighting games were born from the intent to cash in on the Street Fighter phenomenon and thus were content to use the same formula.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Jmcrofts posted:

Some indie fighting games are trying some cool new stuff, BaraBariBall comes to mind.

And Dive Kick I guess.

BaraBariBall has far too many projectiles and not enough grappling for my tastes.

thumb
Sep 9, 2003

Very large hands.

troofs posted:

Wow, it's that kid everybody hated playing in videogames growing up.

"All those other games are bad, clearly the only reason to show up is SF4, but only if you play it without using half of the moves because they're cheating. My mom said i can set the rules however I want and if you don't listen you can't play and you can't have any pizza later"

To be fair, his main point seems to be not so much that projectiles are cheap as that projectile spam is boring to watch. In other words, he wants to mix up the metagame to the benefit of spectators and general variety. FWIW, I disagree with his point (I find watching fighters try to control space with projectiles really interesting) and with his proposed solutions.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
This was my favorite part

quote:

King of Fighters XIII is fun to watch but way overdependent on 50-hit super combos.

Him not knowing why people cheered the Hakan counter pick is also precious.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
No projectiles would mean no more gangster Balrog supers and ultras, and that would suck.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Projectiles and the more interesting movement style abilities are most of the reason 2D fighting games are really different and interesting in their own right as compared to 3D fighters and that's why they're also fun to watch and I'm just preaching to the choir but yeah.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Medullah posted:

Oh, yeah Tekken totally solves the problem, I'll play that instead.

/Gets hit by full-screen, almost instant, unblockable cheap pew-pew laser

This game is full of cheaters too, I'm not playing anymore! :argh:

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Oh boy, there goes VentureBeat again. I remember an article they wrote some time ago about how Warhammer 40000 (a 25+ year old franchise) is totally a ripoff of Gears of War. And now all fighting games suck because players are lame and cheat.

I think they write terrible articles to bait pageviews, that's got to be it.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
You guys are making fun of him for the wrong reasons. He's not saying fireballs are cheap or anything, just that it might be fun for some people to play without them. What's retarded is that he thinks it's viable for a major tournament to play a game by house rules.

When's Melee?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Safe jumps are way more annoying than zoning. They should do the honorable thing and let the opponent stand up before attacking.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Safe jumps are way more annoying than zoning. They should do the honorable thing and let the opponent stand up before attacking.

Seriously, that video happened for a reason. You have not truly experienced Street Fighter under you have been put in the blender 20 games in a row by a Brazilian T. Hawk in Super Turbo. It's the most maddening thing, and the worst part is the utter certainty that it's all your fault for letting him in.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

The most impressive thing about this article is that he can be wrong about real fighting and fighting games in the same article.

It's almost like he's a selfish manchild who expects everyone to entertain him.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Nidhogg is coming along and looks to release on Steam later this year

Incredibly excited about this.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

For those who have never watched Pr0 Nidhogg play, Here you go. Starts out fumbling, but as it goes on, their skill level improved markedly and the grand final is spectacular.

(The commentators... ehhhh)

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
When I read that article I was really hoping he'd explain why SkullGirls isn't worth mentioning but he never did. What's wrong with SkullGirls?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

My sole regret from Evo is that Nidhogg was only there for one day and I missed it. :(

Barabariball still owns hard, though.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really don't get why that guy who wrote that article hates persona so much.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Seashell Salesman posted:

When I read that article I was really hoping he'd explain why SkullGirls isn't worth mentioning but he never did. What's wrong with SkullGirls?

He said earlier that he didn't like watching some of the games because of long combos.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Why would he write about it if its not worth mentioning?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Fun posted:

Why would he write about it if its not worth mentioning?

Why did he write any of it and why are people still responding to it?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Monaghan posted:

I really don't get why that guy who wrote that article hates persona so much.

A game with projectiles? A game where people shoot out ghosts that shoot out projectiles?! Sorry, game is boring!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp0s85byvDY

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Equilibrium posted:

I agree with this man's proposal to ban characters which are not-Makoto.
Only Haitani should get to play as Makoto. And then force everybody else to use Cammy. Haitani beating up Cammys all day, every day :getin:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Focus-Attack is supposedly going to have PS360+s back in stock this weekend.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Is the entire GGPO thing nudge-nudge wink-wink or is there actually a way to obtain a license for these games? Would copying the bits from an original physical media even be legal?

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Too many girls, not enough skulls.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Is the entire GGPO thing nudge-nudge wink-wink or is there actually a way to obtain a license for these games? Would copying the bits from an original physical media even be legal?

If you legally own the board in question, there's nothing legally stopping you from making a digital backup of the board and using it on your computer.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Gutcruncher posted:

A game with projectiles? A game where people shoot out ghosts that shoot out projectiles?! Sorry, game is boring!

The no-projectiles P4A bracket is literally no one because everyone has a projectile, even Akihiko. :downs:

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

You picked like the worst match to link, this one is much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

b0lt posted:

You picked like the worst match to link, this one is much better.

Ha! Thats actually what I wanted but couldnt remember who was playing and when it was so I quickly gave up and went "ok grand finals, whatever"

• Locked thread