Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Vittles posted:

Esper is a slang term for an ESP User. Woolsey used the term because it fit within the character limit, definitely sounded distinctive, and kinda-sorta reflected the Espers' status as vaguely-human-like things (well, formerly human things at least) that use supernatural powers. Yes it's a tremendous stretch but so what, it's way better than Phantom Beasts. Square also used the term Espers in the older SaGa games, though they were translated as Mutants for the FFL games. Though it's interesting to note that the back of the box for Final Fantasy Legend actually refers to ESPers.

Espers is actually a term Japan likes a lot which is probably why Woolsey chose it. You saw it a lot in media from that era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Espers is actually a term Japan likes a lot which is probably why Woolsey chose it. You saw it a lot in media from that era.

Japan had a pretty big "esper" fad in the late 80's, early 90's period didn't they? Quite a bit of manga about kids with psychic powers can be traced back to around that time. Now, of course, JoJo put the best spin on the idea with Stands, which, in case one forgets, started off as a idiosyncratic way of depicting ESP visually.

I do think SaGa dates from about then.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Azure_Horizon posted:

You're best off skipping the entire game altogether. You miss nothing.

Personally I thought FF8 had the most interesting and chillaxed atmosphere. It's got this early 2000's feel that, combined with the soundtrack, makes it one of the more interesting settings in the series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Japan had a pretty big "esper" fad in the late 80's, early 90's period didn't they? Quite a bit of manga about kids with psychic powers can be traced back to around that time. Now, of course, JoJo put the best spin on the idea with Stands, which, in case one forgets, started off as a idiosyncratic way of depicting ESP visually.

I do think SaGa dates from about then.

Yeah, it was everywhere. Even Phantasy Star used it IIRC.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Calaveron posted:

Personally I thought FF8 had the most interesting and chillaxed atmosphere. It's got this early 2000's feel that, combined with the soundtrack, makes it one of the more interesting settings in the series.

An empty box with good music isn't an setting. It's a slightly less boring elevator ride.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Calaveron posted:

It's a setting with areas completely slapdashed together with no coherent feel or tone. It sets up a setting and does supremely little with it. Coincidentally, FFXIII has this same issue; at least it's absolutely gorgeous whereas FF8 definitely shows its age.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I actually got backwards language feedback with that since I played FF6 before I watched a number of 80s anime films as a kid. I was all waiting for them to hulk the gently caress out into huge summon monsters and then all they could do was telepathy and shoot psi-hadokens.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

An empty box with good music isn't an setting. It's a slightly less boring elevator ride.

FFVIII does have the logic of making most of its areas reasonably travellable for the average citizen - a train system between most of the major towns, actual footpaths with no monsters on then, and ports between Dollet and Balamb. The only odd ones out are Winhill, Trabia and Shumi Village, I think. Esthar is also closed off but they're supposed to be xenophobic in the first place.

Compare that to FFVII, where simply going from one town to another makes it seem like you're going through rivers, monster-infested swamps, large swaths of oceans or a forest that rejects anyone that doesn't have a magical instrument. I think the only places that are reasonably close by to each other in safety are Midgar/Kalm and Junon/Costa del Sol.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Honey Badger posted:

FFVIII had the most forgettable playable party for sure. Zell seemed alright when I was younger but he's basically just a shittier Wakka looking back now. The main character's dialogue was like literally 1/3 comprised of "...", to the point that the antagonist (Seifer) ends up being infinitely more interesting (he also has one of the better and more realistic character arcs for an FF "villain", imo).

It's always good to see other people who liked Seifer as much as I do.I remember posting in Leovinus' current FFVIIILP (which probably won't be finished as far as I can see) that Seifer was probably the only well-written character in the game and I hold by that.

People always say they want FFVIII but with Laguna. I like Laguna as much as the next guy but Kiros and Ward would make awful side characters and Laguna can't hold up a game on his own. Even if you don't care for Raijin or Fujin they would at least contribute.

And so I say I'd love an FFVIII starring Seifer, Raijin and Fujin.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Oh. So...that's how you're going to handle all eight main characters still being relevant to the plot. Well poo poo, if I'm going to have to put up with Alba in cutscenes anyway, then I may as well switch my main party up. Sol, you're back in. Sorry Glaive, I like you more but Sol has more utility to bring to the table.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Another reason FF9 is the best FF = Zidane and Vivi take a leak on the 500 year old lost city of the summoners.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Thievery posted:

Another reason FF9 is the best FF = Zidane and Vivi take a leak on the 500 year old lost city of the summoners.
That cutscene made me wonder if all the Black Mages had "equipment', or just the prototype. And then the ending made me wonder why the prototype was able to have kids.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That cutscene made me wonder if all the Black Mages had "equipment', or just the prototype. And then the ending made me wonder why the prototype was able to have kids.

When you're pondering the philosophical implications of whether a child wizard from a fantasy video game has sexual organs or not, you can say 'penis.' We're all adults here.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Once you go black mage...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Thievery posted:

Once you go black mage...

White mages cast like this, while Black Mages cast like this!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

NikkolasKing posted:

People always say they want FFVIII but with Laguna. I like Laguna as much as the next guy but Kiros and Ward would make awful side characters and Laguna can't hold up a game on his own.

That's because Laguna is meant to be a foil for Squall. The whole point of having him and those dream sequences where Squall's mind gets shoved back in time is to highlight just how screwed up in the head Squall is compared to his father. Yeah, Laguna's kind of a dork, but otherwise he's a well-rounded, mature individual. Squall, on the other hand, is a broken person who tries to project the facade of a cool, mature individual.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

W.T. Fits posted:

That's because Laguna is meant to be a foil for Squall. The whole point of having him and those dream sequences where Squall's mind gets shoved back in time is to highlight just how screwed up in the head Squall is compared to his father. Yeah, Laguna's kind of a dork, but otherwise he's a well-rounded, mature individual. Squall, on the other hand, is a broken person who tries to project the facade of a cool, mature individual.

Yes, because a well-rounded, mature individual totally tickle tortures a friend of his that just had his vocal cords torn out :allears:

Seriously, what the gently caress is up with Laguna and tickling people? :psyduck:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Squall makes "broken people" look supremely boring.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cervixalot posted:

When you're pondering the philosophical implications of whether a child wizard from a fantasy video game has sexual organs or not, you can say 'penis.' We're all adults here.
It doesn't have to be a penis, though. Dude's literally a robot, evolution doesn't work the same way.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.

NikkolasKing posted:

It's always good to see other people who liked Seifer as much as I do.I remember posting in Leovinus' current FFVIIILP (which probably won't be finished as far as I can see) that Seifer was probably the only well-written character in the game and I hold by that.

People always say they want FFVIII but with Laguna. I like Laguna as much as the next guy but Kiros and Ward would make awful side characters and Laguna can't hold up a game on his own. Even if you don't care for Raijin or Fujin they would at least contribute.

And so I say I'd love an FFVIII starring Seifer, Raijin and Fujin.

I always want to like FFVIII's cast, because the potential is there. Having a bunch of orphans get snatched up to train as unquestionably loyal mercenaries, wiping their memories with GFs in the process, is an interesting premise. Realistically, Cid should have been a villain; the fact that Edea gets possessed and thus a chain of events goes down that "justifies" SeeD existing is only a coincidence, and if not for that there would be no debate over whether raising a child army of assassins is ethical or not. It would also serve as a legit reason for Squall to behave the way he does, in addition to abandonment issues (though I think they tried to keep that angle under wraps for a bit too long), but the way the game handles everything just squanders all that potential again and again.

I can't remember anyone in the game questioning the morality of the Gardens or using GFs. Giving us that conflict early could have made Squall a bit more sympathetic, but we just think he's a dick until we learn about his past (a past he doesn't even really remember), and by the time we know everything it's like disc 3 and my opinion of his character has settled in already. There are brief flashes of inspiration with characters, like Selphie's brainwashed naivety being kind of terrifying and violent sometimes, and Irvine's breakdown when he's about to kill Edea (though I think his character is basically completely wasted aside from that scene), but it's too few and far between. Then you toss in the fact that everyone coincidentally grew up together, which wasn't really a necessary plot point at all, and the villains just get progressively shittier and more removed from the plot we are actually exposed to and...so on.

That's why Seifer kind of stands out, because he is really a more realistic portrayal of what the SeeD process would do to an impressionable teen with no sense of identity. He's a sympathetic villain and he's refreshing because he's one of the few FF antagonists that is a human with human faults, and he doesn't magically transform into some overly-generic metaphor of a monster. Arguably, his view of the SeeDs as evil isn't even all that wrong - he kind of pulls off what Star Wars couldn't with the whole "boohoo the Jedi are the real evil ones in my opinion" thing. It's even worse because Seifer and Squall are actually a lot alike, but Seifer's neuroses manifest themselves outwardly while Squall's manifest inwardly; it just happens that playing and watching a supremely introspective character with social disorders isn't much fun.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Honey Badger posted:

it just happens that playing and watching a supremely introspective character with social disorders isn't much fun.

begs to differ (yes I know he grows out of it). TWEWY sequel, where are you?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 25, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The difference between Squall and Neku is that everyone basically either encourages or ignores Squall's neuroses, while the entire cast of TWEWY takes potshots at Neku and calls him out on his poo poo.

The Fuck Juicer
Oct 16, 2012

FF8 is the first FF game I played and nostalgia dictates I will never look at it objectively. I just can't, I've replayed it about 5 times and loved every single playthrough. Surely everyone has a FF game like that?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yohan Kebab posted:

FF8 is the first FF game I played and nostalgia dictates I will never look at it objectively. I just can't, I've replayed it about 5 times and loved every single playthrough. Surely everyone has a FF game like that?

Why do you think people still talk about 4?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yohan Kebab posted:

I don't think so. My first FF was FF1 though so v:shobon:v

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Space whales?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

It having the best Cid?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Because the 3DS version is fun. :colbert:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Yohan Kebab posted:

I'll admit I'm this way a little bit with FFX.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

That reminds me, why did alternate world maps stop being a thing? In FF7 there was a whole undersea area that (admittedly) didn't have much but it was still cool, then FF8 and FF9 didn't have anything, and we lost world maps entirely with FFX.

Bring back world maps! Let me go underwater, underground, and to the moon again! It's just more places to stick additional content!

Personally I think FF8 missed the opportunity to actually utilize a goddamn dragon spaceship and the established fact that monsters live on the moon and space stations exist.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I really, really miss world maps, it's true. It just feels like even though it isn't so, the game is so open world. A positive quality of FFD. One of few.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Yohan Kebab posted:

There's a reason for me calling FF6 my favorite game ever, and that's having played 1 and 4 when they were first released.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Yohan Kebab posted:

This is me with 5. I actually hate the first Final Fantasy I played though because 10 is a pretty bad game, but hey.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I have to applaud Matrix Software, they loving outdid themselves with the encounters in the last dungeon. Enemies who hit for half my party's HP, status effects galore, mountains of HP, bullshit Death and HP-to-1 skills. And the creme de la creme loving random encounter boss refights. Those are special. My Moogle Charm doesn't prevent those.

The funniest part was when I got Hermes Sandals. An accessory that gives auto-haste.
Yeah. Like hell I'm taking off my sweet, sweet status protection for that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

I have to applaud Matrix Software, they loving outdid themselves with the encounters in the last dungeon. Enemies who hit for half my party's HP, status effects galore, mountains of HP, bullshit Death and HP-to-1 skills. And the creme de la creme loving random encounter boss refights. Those are special. My Moogle Charm doesn't prevent those.

The funniest part was when I got Hermes Sandals. An accessory that gives auto-haste.
Yeah. Like hell I'm taking off my sweet, sweet status protection for that.

Those aren't random. They're only once and always occur on that row or column of tile the first time.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 26, 2013

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Endorph posted:

It having the best Cid?
He said 4, not 12. You did pick the runner-up, though.

Dude's the only person in the entire world with sunglasses.

Pope on fire
May 12, 2013

Azure_Horizon posted:

You're best off skipping the entire game altogether. You miss nothing.

I shall remember this. Replaying 7 atm on steam!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
The thing with FF8 is that there is an awesome game there, which just happens to be trapped within a terrible game.

Like, the second CD is just excellent fun. Almost every scene (other than perhaps the boring FH) feels awesome, you're breaking out of a prison here, holding off an invasion there, sneaking into a military base there.

By contrast, the first CD is boring as gently caress and the third CD alternates between being annoying as hell and making no sense. And the final dungeon is awful.

The junction system could have been interesting except it's so ridiculously easy to exploit that there's no point. At least they had the good sense to include an option to skip random encounters altogether, and scale bosses to your level. It's the only way to play FF8.

As for the characters, I didn't mind them that much. It's actually kind of refreshing playing as a party of uniquely flawed individuals. Every one of them has crippling personality issues that cause no end of problems throughout the game. None of the "good guys" come out looking that good which is pretty interesting.

But yeah, that's the thing with FF8. It's got a potentially interesting premise, potentially interesting game mechanics, and potentially interesting characters, but it spends way too much time failing to deliver on that potential.

I still love it though :3:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cmndstab posted:

Like, the second CD is just excellent fun. Almost every scene (other than perhaps the boring FH) feels awesome, you're breaking out of a prison here, holding off an invasion there, sneaking into a military base there.
It'd made for a the kind of movie you'd expect to be directed by Sylvester Stallone, so fun, sure, but hosed if there's an ounce of narrative cohesion in that series of action-oriented events.

Of course, the fact that said prison break takes place in something like ten or fifteen identical, circular rooms doesn't help my impression of the sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
CD2 would be passable if it wasn't for the insulting breakage of logic that occurs in the Missile Base.