Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

nvining posted:

I'm holding off on giving dates because, in the past, I have given dates and have been wildly optimistic. I will say that the giant systems merge that we have been working on is finally getting in place, and that's been a major hold-up slash lynchpin, sooooo...

Really? :awesome: Sometimes the strangest music runs through my head when I get awesome news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nvining posted:

I'm holding off on giving dates because, in the past, I have given dates and have been wildly optimistic. I will say that the giant systems merge that we have been working on is finally getting in place, and that's been a major hold-up slash lynchpin, sooooo...

So you've done the first 90%, you just have the next 90% to get out of the way. Got it.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
Today's blogpost: Barbers:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/07/17/the-barber-of-cogville/

Figaro, Figaro, Figaro.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

nvining posted:

Figaro, Figaro, Figaro.

Omninous, Blood stained razors. :stare:

nvining
May 30, 2011

Shadowmorn posted:

Omninous, Blood stained razors. :stare:

Don't you mean "quality Empire health care"?

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

nvining posted:

Figaro, Figaro, Figaro.

These have been such a great dev diary. In particular here reading about how the model had to be changed because what looked good in the render didn't pan out in more regular gameplay strikes me as a really cool tidbit for some reason. Is that something that regularly affects the planning stage during asset creation, or does it just occasionally sneak up and bite you like there?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

nvining posted:

Figaro, Figaro, Figaro.

"There was a barber and his wife, and they were polygonal"

:allears:

This is going to be so much fun.

dbaumgart
May 31, 2011

ReWinter posted:

These have been such a great dev diary. In particular here reading about how the model had to be changed because what looked good in the render didn't pan out in more regular gameplay strikes me as a really cool tidbit for some reason. Is that something that regularly affects the planning stage during asset creation, or does it just occasionally sneak up and bite you like there?

There are tons of little details like that and hopefully we catch them early or they're trivial to fix in the renderer. (Don't ask about how much Fun we've had with texture alphas, foliage, and shadows.)

Plus, our 3d art team was trained to do work for 3d video/movies or AAA-style games with characters of very high detail viewed close up from about eye level. Our first few months of warming up involve a LOT of learning to account for the literal change in perspective: you have to do things differently when viewing from an orthographic perspective from above, and working with large numbers of simpler elements, at that. Some details you can get away with leaving out, others you absolutely have to account for. You have to build features so they're recognizable when viewed from above rather than from face-on. By this point we've developed a pretty good workflow that involves, to say the least, viewing work in-progress at small scale with an orthographic camera.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I would like to imagine Junior Barber Sweeps now, partially packing a mop for Reasons, but mainly tending to the poor final throws of Bleeding Leeches whom Proper Society has relegated to a cruel fate despite their tremendous work in life saving and humors rejuvenating.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ahhh yes, the good old Dr. Barber mmmmmm?

Perhaps some surgery is in order, mmmmmmmm?

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

How are individuals' personalities managed in the current design of the game? Is there a trait system, or something a bit more random like DF, or what?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Triskelli posted:

Ahhh yes, the good old Dr. Barber mmmmmm?

Perhaps some surgery is in order, mmmmmmmm?

Why stop with just the hair, you could be so much more!

Ett, Två, Tre!

... Now i find myself hoping my first boatload of colonists can include a barber i neglect due to "Funding reapplication to examination of local fauna and flora.", to the point the barber goes completely off the deep end and starts cutting people up while screaming things about perfect Symmetry being the ultimate goal of barbershops. :stonk:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I hope this means that among the many other things that can pop up in thought bubbles, there is a tiny leech icon somewhere.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Cicadalek posted:

I hope this means that among the many other things that can pop up in thought bubbles, there is a tiny leech icon somewhere.

... filing a ticket for David.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I'm hoping this game can provide a visceral experience not unlike my current Dwarf Fortress file where a mother was carrying two of her children around and a wolverine attacked, tearing off one of the baby's hands, and getting murdered by the enraged dwarven mother but not before said one-handed baby got to punch the wolverine with its remaining hand.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I hope this game fills the void the lack of Towns updates has left in me since I stopped playing dorforts.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

nvining posted:

Figaro, Figaro, Figaro.

I will miss you, stripey shirt. But I understand why you had to die.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

nvining posted:

We blew up the 32-bit address space

32 bit? But I have all this RAM. Why won't you use it? Why do you hate my RAM? I swear there's only one or two non-Euclidean bits. Well, that I can see anyway.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Munkeymon posted:

32 bit? But I have all this RAM. Why won't you use it? Why do you hate my RAM? I swear there's only one or two non-Euclidean bits. Well, that I can see anyway.

Oh, the plan is to get a 64-bit build up and running, but the number of users on Windows who still run 32-bit operating systems is... 50% or so. Pretty gross.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Not much to show this week (which, for my part, is because of ongoing moving (total casualties: one glass pitcher, one commemorative beer sleeve, one television)) but:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/07/24/little-tree-on-the-prairie/

(Many thanks to all of you who gave tile cutting advice previously in this thread. My bathroom looks pretty good, and I will seal the grout on the wall tomorrow after it has finished curing. For what it's worth, I'm getting an actual tile snapper before I do the second bathroom.)

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
So if you are talking about dead trees do you have any plans for visual effects of industrial polution? It might be asking a bit much but it would be seriously cool to see trees dieing off downwind of large chimneys, polluted rivers, ect.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

nvining posted:

Oh, the plan is to get a 64-bit build up and running, but the number of users on Windows who still run 32-bit operating systems is... 50% or so. Pretty gross.

Still? Holy hell. I'm glad you guys are making the effort, though.

Maybe they can only have 2562 maps in the 32 bit ghetto?

Is there any consideration being made to give the player the ability to pause the game, rewind and see the Interesting Events that just happened that they might have missed because they were checking on the status of a building construction or something? Sort of unwinding the event stack and replaying them in order to see them transpire again. That's something that seems to be missing from (or possibly intentionally left out of) DF which you can see the effect of in LPs where the player will basically say "X disappeared when I wasn't looking - welp".

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 26, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

Still? Holy hell. I'm glad you guys are making the effort, though.

Maybe they can only have 2562 maps in the 32 bit ghetto?

Is there any consideration being made to give the player the ability to pause the game, rewind and see the Interesting Events that just happened that they might have missed because they were checking on the status of a building construction or something? Sort of unwinding the event stack and replaying them in order to see them transpire again. That's something that seems to be missing from (or possibly intentionally left out of) DF which you can see the effect of in LPs where the player will basically say "X disappeared when I wasn't looking - welp".
Memory limitation issues already and you want to add state recording to the mix? :gonk:
That's technically possible if you save the seed and each action per-frame to a file for low-memory machines. That way you use a save file as your primary state backup and have incremental backups. Downside is forward-only playback of a player's turn.

Certainly sounds like a nice feature just really tricky when you add in all the states to be recorded at each interval.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Have you guys listened to Welcome to Night Vale? While not the exact same setting as CE it seems very similar in terms of tone, in that it's a sort of darkly comic setting where common people are aware of both eldritch horrors and secret government institutions and are too busy worrying about next week's ball game to really care much about either.

Also, the shots in that article made me wonder: To what extent can we modify the terrain in CE, if at all? Seeing that little hill with the straight edges made me want to carve a path through it and raise some walls around to make a fort using the environment for part of the defenses.

nvining
May 30, 2011

President Ark posted:

Have you guys listened to Welcome to Night Vale? While not the exact same setting as CE it seems very similar in terms of tone, in that it's a sort of darkly comic setting where common people are aware of both eldritch horrors and secret government institutions and are too busy worrying about next week's ball game to really care much about either.

Also, the shots in that article made me wonder: To what extent can we modify the terrain in CE, if at all? Seeing that little hill with the straight edges made me want to carve a path through it and raise some walls around to make a fort using the environment for part of the defenses.

Not familiar with Night Vale personally, no. You can certainly flatten it, but other modes of terrain modification are - as-of-yet - unsupported. Besides which, only flattening involves Covering The World With Progress!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

zylche posted:

That way you use a save file as your primary state backup and have incremental backups. Downside is forward-only playback of a player's turn.

That's really all I was thinking. I already do per-turn saves when I play Civ games and storing all of the actions that happened during the last few turns would let me go back and replay what happened (instead of just the result) if the game didn't show me. Luckily, Civ does, but DF doesn't because it can't show you everything in real time and that results in gaps in the player's knowledge, though you could argue that that's intentional because it makes the game harder. Yeah, it'd eat some disk space, but that's pretty cheap and you could easily just set it to take a fixed event count or game time span.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Just, uh, leavin' this here:

https://twitter.com/dgbaumgart/status/361950770263883776/photo/1

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

I, uh, blame the weather? http://i.imgur.com/vKYES23.jpg

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

I was definitely thinking the same thing. Those tentacles are very mustache-like.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It took me way too long to realise the tentacles weren't holding on to a balloon

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Cicadalek posted:

It took me way too long to realise the tentacles weren't holding on to a balloon

That's the party version :toot:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

This is exactly what I saw too.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Today: more trees, again.

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/07/31/in-search-of-a-better-pine/

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
It's nice getting some proper scale. Big things just feel nicer. I understand the occlusion problem, but making stuff big is important too.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Here we have big happy trees, on a happy big mesa, and down near the happy little town we have angry little stumps, plotting in the dead of the night.

Also, I would definitely second adding "Welcome To Night Vale" to your inspiration list. It's a podcast about a fictional radio station in a town in the middle of nowhere, where weird unexplainable poo poo happens and people trying to live on regardless. Like for example the cat stuck floating four feet off the floor in the men's restroom. It really captures the themes of mundane paranormality you're trying to capture in CE, just with British stiff upper lips replaced with American small town apathy.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Night Vale council would like to remind you not to enter the dog park under any circumstances, and to look at the hooded figures within as little as possible. Thank you.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
I love Night Vale too but don't poo poo up the Clockwork Empires thread with Night Vale stuff guys. :colbert: They're like, cosmic horror apples and oranges, and it's the reason there's a thread in GBS (I know, I know).

On topic, I really want to slather my colonial constructions all over that beautiful prairie artwork. I'm actually really impressed with the quality of what you guys are making, and even more than that, how well you're communicating the process of making it. I sincerely hope everything exceeds your expectations on this, partially because I'm a selfish nerd who needs his fix, and partially because you're doing good work, and whoever said good work was its own reward was an idiot, get tons of money please, you deserve it.

e: Also the huge loving eyebrows on some of your artwork creeps me the gently caress out.

Protagorean fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 1, 2013

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Well, it wouldn't be a GG production without some huge loving eyebrows, now would it?

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
The latest update has Bob Ross and Monty Python references within a scant few words of each other. This, and such ardent attention paid to trees, is why Gaslamp gets all my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvining
May 30, 2011

A little late but here is a blog post on Tags and Events:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/08/08/tags-and-events/

... if you think you see anything on our front page, you're probably imagining things.

• Locked thread