Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

FillInTheBlank posted:

You're a complete idiot aren't you.

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

That's funny, cause all the evidence is pointing to the contrary. This isn't changing some fundamental aspect of the game and it's not something that will affect you. Ever. Why do you care if they're making the standard game modes a little easier for the casual player, especially if there are more difficult modes that aren't getting changed so you can continue to feel like an elitist prick.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
They are making a part of the game easier via unnecessary change. They are doing what they said they wouldn't do. I don't like this. I don't have to like it. It's perfectly ok for me to not like this, despite the fact that the part of the game they changed doesn't effect hardcore league players. But now that they are willing to go against their original vision, when will they start making changes that do effect hardcore league players? That's all I'm saying.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

It's probably a good thing that GGG is listening to the casual Standard league player considering that they make up like ~80% of the playerbase. If a casual Standard league player dies twice and loses a huge chunk of exp at level 70 they become frustrated and sometimes they put the game away for a while. They might even find a new game they like in the meantime and forget about PoE, which is bad for business. If death penalties are less severe player retention will go up and ensure the long term health of the game.

rooth baybee
Apr 15, 2013

Hey youuuu guysssss!
These last few posts man, the xp on death penalty changes nothing. Every person I know plays Hardcore because there's no reason not to play Hardcore. When you die you start over but your character is just in that other league that you never play... but if you really want to play it still exists there.

80% really play Default League? What the gently caress. Getting to 70 without dying is easy, you play carefully and its a rewarding experience.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Stokes posted:

They are making a part of the game easier via unnecessary change. They are doing what they said they wouldn't do. I don't like this. I don't have to like it. It's perfectly ok for me to not like this, despite the fact that the part of the game they changed doesn't effect hardcore league players. But now that they are willing to go against their original vision, when will they start making changes that do effect hardcore league players? That's all I'm saying.

Might they be changing their mind based on player feedback?

Also, good for you that you haven't had desync deaths, that's really neat. However, this is an issue that lots of people complain about. And yeah, captain condescension, when I have two hours to play a game, and die four times because halfway through fighting a mob of enemies with my cleave build, the game goes out of sync and I die ten seconds later, it's not a very good time.

I guess I can just stay at level 50-whatever forever, because I'm not "skilled" enough to join the elite ranks of people who kill monsters in an ARPG. Someone said it earlier, but yeah, get over yourself.

edit; also yeah you are asking people to care how good you are at a videogame. You are whining about a mode you never play because it will let other people who aren't willing to beat their heads against un-fun aspects of the game enjoy it. "I don't want this to change no matter what because I like this game being obtuse so you have to be 'good' at it to enjoy it" is pretty much wanting the game to only be your own little playground. Sorry there are other people on the planet. This is a good game, but if they listen to people who insist that every mode be backwards and obnoxious, it's not going to last. Thankfully GGG is smarter than that, and is reacting to legitimate complaints about the game. That's...you know...progressive thinking.

edit: RE kaboomz - right, but do you never just want to brainlessly mow down enemies? Personally, I prefer onslaught when I'm wanting to pay attention, because it's more exciting. But sometimes you just want to grind your guy higher and kill, I dunno, whatever those jellyfish things are without the irritation of lag deaths putting you back to where you were before your play session began.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
The XP penalty is now 5%/10%. Patch next week.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Is there even a point to an XP on death penalty? All it costs is time, really, and all it gives is annoyance. Death itself costs time, especially if monsters regenerate. Arguably, you'd be best served by an escalating death timer (10s, 30s, 1minute, 2minutes tops) and having monsters that kill a player regen health quickly (with the exception of plot bosses - those would need separate rules). Now dying has a disincentive, you can't zerg down monsters, and you don't lose an hour of experience because you died. Nobody actively goes out and tries to die in the game, and if people make glass cannon builds to try to clear faster, then just increase their death timers so that their overall clear speeds are longer.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Any Onslaught folks that can give me a guesstimate on a value for this amulet?

Seems to be a decent farming amulet for accuracy / crit based folk but I haven't shopped for iir gear myself so no idea if it's worth a chaos or an exalt.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Dirk the Average posted:

Is there even a point to an XP on death penalty? All it costs is time, really, and all it gives is annoyance. Death itself costs time, especially if monsters regenerate. Arguably, you'd be best served by an escalating death timer (10s, 30s, 1minute, 2minutes tops) and having monsters that kill a player regen health quickly (with the exception of plot bosses - those would need separate rules). Now dying has a disincentive, you can't zerg down monsters, and you don't lose an hour of experience because you died. Nobody actively goes out and tries to die in the game, and if people make glass cannon builds to try to clear faster, then just increase their death timers so that their overall clear speeds are longer.

Death penalties give death meaning. Also, they serve to brickwall bad builds. A lovely build will get to the point where it can't get enough experience to progress without dying, otherwise you'd be able to just suicide through the game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Katasi posted:

Death penalties give death meaning. Also, they serve to brickwall bad builds. A lovely build will get to the point where it can't get enough experience to progress without dying, otherwise you'd be able to just suicide through the game.

On the other hand, suiciding through the game (especially if you're waiting in two minute increments to actually play), is boring. If someone is dying all the time, they're not going to think that it's a good thing. Instead, they'll try to figure out a way to fix it. It's the same way with killing speed - if you're not killing things fast enough, that's boring, so try to kill things faster because it's more fun.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

Dirk the Average posted:

Arguably, you'd be best served by an escalating death timer (10s, 30s, 1minute, 2minutes tops) and having monsters that kill a player regen health quickly (with the exception of plot bosses - those would need separate rules

Diablo 3 did this and it was worse than XP loss. Players constantly tried to zerg things anyway and just got frustrated at having to wait to respawn. Any mechanic that forces the player to not play for a period of time is bad design.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Dirk the Average posted:

On the other hand, suiciding through the game (especially if you're waiting in two minute increments to actually play), is boring. If someone is dying all the time, they're not going to think that it's a good thing. Instead, they'll try to figure out a way to fix it. It's the same way with killing speed - if you're not killing things fast enough, that's boring, so try to kill things faster because it's more fun.

Yeah, I think of all the bad stuff D3 did, they got this part right. XP loss is just a more aggravating way for people to arrive at the same conclusion: your build (or you) sucks.

Death timers are really bad too, I think just having it take ages and be dull as poo poo is the best way to dissuade bad play.

Although, 5/10% loss is really small so that's a step in the right direction at least.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Dirk the Average posted:

If you make players wait 30 seconds to play again, there's a very good chance they'll just turn the game off. I do think the current death penalties are too high, so I'm fine with the new values.

As for the dude who's complaining about GGG making the game easier - they're not. There's a difference between difficulty and penalty. Changing the experience penalty does nothing to the difficulty as evidenced by the fact that a mode with the same difficulty level but a different punishment level is unchanged. This change will let softcore players enjoy playing a little more without making it boring for them (as some punishment level is necessary to keep the game fun) while keeping the game the same for the hardcore players, which only seems like a good thing.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I feel like 50% of the time when I use an alacrity swiftness pot I desync back into the pack of mobs I'm trying to get away from. I guess it won't be as much of a problem when my gear is less awful (I only have about 3k ES currently), but it's pretty easy to get swarmed in Lunaris and they still haven't fixed the Lightning Warp not triggering bug :/

This is from a connection that used to get like 30ms latency in WoW, so :shrug:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Grizlor posted:

I feel like 50% of the time when I use an alacrity swiftness pot I desync back into the pack of mobs I'm trying to get away from. I guess it won't be as much of a problem when my gear is less awful (I only have about 3k ES currently), but it's pretty easy to get swarmed in Lunaris and they still haven't fixed the Lightning Warp not triggering bug :/

This is from a connection that used to get like 30ms latency in WoW, so :shrug:

Yeah the one thing about this game that I'm not sure will ever be fixed is the whole "severs are in new zealand" thing. I mean, I understand that they want to keep operating costs as low as possible, and getting a bunch of server space all over the planet isn't exactly cheap though, so I understand why they're doing it this way.

edit: Oh it looks liek they added an Aus. server in May.

Booyah
Dec 10, 2007
NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR BORING RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS
So I got that crap bow that converts 25% damage taken/done to chaos damage, and it has inspired me to remake my old poo poo shadow who has 71 free passive points.

My build looks like this so far:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...-r1S_lW_Kv_kw==

The goal is physical bow crit/CI +

Skills:

single target Frenzy + PC on crit + crit chance + crit multi.

AoE would be multishot + chain + PC on crit + crit chance + crit multi.

Any thoughts on how to make this not another waste of a character?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Platypus Farm posted:

Yeah the one thing about this game that I'm not sure will ever be fixed is the whole "severs are in new zealand" thing. I mean, I understand that they want to keep operating costs as low as possible, and getting a bunch of server space all over the planet isn't exactly cheap though, so I understand why they're doing it this way.

Servers are sadly far away from New Zealand as I have 300 ping to US server, 400 to Singapore due to the way internet is routed.

The Aus server isn't even good from NZ as I have 60-120 ping to it it skips between those values constantly so I get out of sync quite often even without use of movement skills and such.
I have a stable 59-62 ping to the LoL Aus servers so PoE really need to get themselves some good servers.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Platypus Farm posted:

There aren't any servers in New Zealand, unless you're counting the developer-only testing servers. I don't know where the alpha servers are located.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Dreggon posted:

There aren't any servers in New Zealand, unless you're counting the developer-only testing servers. I don't know where the alpha servers are located.

Oh wow, for some reason I thought that's what all the problems were with the OOS errors and all that. Sorry for the misinformation.

edit - maybe that's how it was back earlier in beta, so that's sticking in my brain.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Are there any good guides for obtaining collectibles or trading? I don't really understand the while system due to taking a break for a while.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

ChaseSP posted:

Are there any good guides for obtaining collectibles or trading? I don't really understand the while system due to taking a break for a while.

Here's a vendor recipe list:
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_Recipes

And a general guide to value:
http://www.poeex.info/

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

please don't use poeex.info use http://exilestats.com/ex/ as it's not trying to drive a RMT site.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Platypus Farm posted:

Here's a vendor recipe list:
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_Recipes

And a general guide to value:
http://www.poeex.info/

Thanks. Any guides for actual equipment trading at all or at least a good price for stuff? Or does that just come with time.

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...

ChaseSP posted:

Thanks. Any guides for actual equipment trading at all or at least a good price for stuff? Or does that just come with time.

Use one of the trade indexers:
https://poe.xyz.is
https://www.poexplorer.com

Just search for items with similiar stats as the one you have and see what other people are getting for them.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Booyah posted:

So I got that crap bow that converts 25% damage taken/done to chaos damage, and it has inspired me to remake my old poo poo shadow who has 71 free passive points.

My build looks like this so far:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...-r1S_lW_Kv_kw==

The goal is physical bow crit/CI +

Skills:

single target Frenzy + PC on crit + crit chance + crit multi.

AoE would be multishot + chain + PC on crit + crit chance + crit multi.

Any thoughts on how to make this not another waste of a character?

Piercing pre-empts chaining, so either drop the pierce chance node or switch Chain to a Pierce gem in your AoE links. I'd recommend switching to Pierce since you can reach 100% chance with a quality gem. Same could be achieved with a Projectile Weakness curse, but then you're not cursing Critical Weakness. I guess you could use Projectile Weakness for dealing with trash and Critical Weakness for tough targets.

Aim for something like http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...9TcFcSiu-P-ug==

Get Iron Reflexes, Heart of Oak and then Vaal Pact for defense first, pick up the crit multipliers last.

Conduit is along the way and is usefull if you ever play in a group because you're should be using all 3 types of charges - your physical damage reduction gets fairly absurd if you stack endurance charges on top of chaos conversion and armor from IR.

There might be problems with lack of mana and accuracy.

Booyah
Dec 10, 2007
NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR BORING RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS

Ornedan posted:

Piercing pre-empts chaining, so either drop the pierce chance node or switch Chain to a Pierce gem in your AoE links. I'd recommend switching to Pierce since you can reach 100% chance with a quality gem. Same could be achieved with a Projectile Weakness curse, but then you're not cursing Critical Weakness. I guess you could use Projectile Weakness for dealing with trash and Critical Weakness for tough targets.

Aim for something like http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...9TcFcSiu-P-ug==

Get Iron Reflexes, Heart of Oak and then Vaal Pact for defense first, pick up the crit multipliers last.

Conduit is along the way and is usefull if you ever play in a group because you're should be using all 3 types of charges - your physical damage reduction gets fairly absurd if you stack endurance charges on top of chaos conversion and armor from IR.

There might be problems with lack of mana and accuracy.

Thanks for the idea.

I'm assuming you suggested HoO for the stun resist? I've got an eye of chalupa, so that covers that. Is IR really worth it? It seems a long way to go for just a minor benefit.

Also, enduring cry to generate endurance charges? Is that really useful on a ranged dude?

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Booyah posted:

Thanks for the idea.

I'm assuming you suggested HoO for the stun resist? I've got an eye of chalupa, so that covers that. Is IR really worth it? It seems a long way to go for just a minor benefit.

Also, enduring cry to generate endurance charges? Is that really useful on a ranged dude?

I thought you were in the new leagues where there is no Eye of Chayula. Still, it's only 2 points and it'll free up your amulet slot. Iron Reflexes and the endurance charges are there to deal with you ending up in melee range of mobs and for reflected damage.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Are there any particular variations of EK or Sporker builds that are specifically good for new/poor characters? I've found a few on the forums and other sites, but I'm paranoid about picking something that someone optimized for the endgame with perfect gear or something.

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...

Kersch posted:

Are there any particular variations of EK or Sporker builds that are specifically good for new/poor characters? I've found a few on the forums and other sites, but I'm paranoid about picking something that someone optimized for the endgame with perfect gear or something.

Life based builds are always going to be easier to get into over Chaos Innoculation so definitely take a life build. Other than that every build is going to hit a wall in the endgame where upgrades are a significant expense. Both EK and Spork are able to function in the 70s and into the 80s without crazy expensive gear.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Kersch posted:

Both of those builds are great for fresh economies and can get to/clear 66 maps with no outside help. You might have to farm merc docks a little longer than a totally twinkled character, but you'll be fine until you find either tradeables or currency. Dominions CI spork witch in particular is great, if dual totem gameplay is tolerable for you.

nas22
Oct 2, 2012
I keep getting stuck on the loading screen before you login? Anyone have a fix other than just reinstalling?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

nas22 posted:

I keep getting stuck on the loading screen before you login? Anyone have a fix other than just reinstalling?

Are you sure you aren't just waiting long enough? I always minimize and do something else when I start the game, since it takes forever to load.

OK, that's too long.
\/\/\/

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 27, 2013

nas22
Oct 2, 2012

Quixzlizx posted:

Are you sure you aren't just waiting long enough? I always minimize and do something else when I start the game, since it takes forever to load.

Waited for 15 minutes last time, after that i just gave up.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I notice a lot of people (myself included) use freezing pulse as a leveling build before switching over to their endgame build. Does nobody use it for an endgame build itself?

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon
ahhh, I love when RNG goes in my favor
didn't really count how many orbs I used, but I now have a 6S5L Searing Touch.
Something like 2 dozen fuse, under 50 jewelers for sure, too

edit: Now if only I could find the video I saw a while ago of the build I want to shamelessly copy, but my google-fu has failed me.
It was a fire trap build, Templar I think, and the video consisted of the guy running the Dungeon Map. One of the map mods was that it had two unique bosses, and he killed both bosses in a handful of seconds. He also had one of the two items that lets you cast an additional curse, so that he didn't need to use the passive node.

Golden Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 28, 2013

nas22
Oct 2, 2012

Haerc posted:

I notice a lot of people (myself included) use freezing pulse as a leveling build before switching over to their endgame build. Does nobody use it for an endgame build itself?

It got nerfed alot, but i still see alot using it late game with ci.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
Yeah the nerf kind of hurt it's endgame potential. There's still a few decent Mara FP builds though. Also I hope to god Cutthroat league doesn't become an actual thing. I swear most of the players spent 80% of the time killing each other in terraces. I noped out and farmed fetid pool to get away from people.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Dirk the Average posted:

I sure don't see the point. I hate endlessly grinding with no concrete rewards. It takes so much grinding to get anywhere that I just gave up after getting a few builds to maps. All the uniques that would enable additional builds are too much bother. I might have kept playing if getting items was as easy as it was in diablo II, I put more time into eternal sun than I did into PoE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Dirk the Average posted:

It's pretty hilarious because they literally did exactly that in Diablo 3 and people came to the consensus that death timers were Hitler.

• Locked thread