Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

It's definitely a good counterspell, tacking an extra 2 on to every single spell with the same name is pretty sweet. On the other hand it's not 2 CMC and it's the only counter we've seen so I think they're trying to make it balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
interrupt meaning counter is going to wreck my Magic oriented brain.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Captain Capitalism posted:

It's definitely a good counterspell, tacking an extra 2 on to every single spell with the same name is pretty sweet. On the other hand it's not 2 CMC and it's the only counter we've seen so I think they're trying to make it balanced.

Yeah, it's hard to be excited by any counterspell that costs three, no matter what the rider is.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Still, just being clear that there are actual counters in game is doing a lot to revitalize my enthusiasm, which I'll confess was flagging a little since the frenzy of the kickstarter.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Still, just being clear that there are actual counters in game is doing a lot to revitalize my enthusiasm, which I'll confess was flagging a little since the frenzy of the kickstarter.

Yeah, I'd really like to hear more about PvE. PvP is largely Magic 2.0 with some effects that aren't possible in an analog CCG, but I think I already know what I'm getting there as I've been playing Magic since 1996. I'm pretty psyched to actually get my hands on the game at GenCon in a couple weeks. Hopefully that will get people a little more excited as reports from the con filter out. I'll certainly write something up for here, and I might try to take a camera so I can record a little play.

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

From the description on the Hex site, it sounds like you can use Countermagic to counter an action triggered from a card, not just a new card entering play. Whether that justifies its cost, I can't say...I'm too much of a TCG noob to start evaluating that yet.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I like Countermagic a lot. Sure, it's "just" Cancel with a rider, but if that's the baseline they want to establish, I'm totally fine with that.

Here's an interesting question. Discarding a Shard let's you play the spell without paying its cost. Do you still need to have to Sapphire Threshold? I can see arguments in both directions.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Kakesu posted:

From the description on the Hex site, it sounds like you can use Countermagic to counter an action triggered from a card, not just a new card entering play. Whether that justifies its cost, I can't say...I'm too much of a TCG noob to start evaluating that yet.

Huh, so Hex counterspells have Stifle's effect built in. That's certainly a way to do it. I know 3 mana counters aren't very exciting to seasoned Magic players, but that plus the cost increase might push it into 'playable' territory at 3 mana.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Dunno where to put this, but has anyone played Duels of Champions? Just trying to itch my online TCG niche before Hex comes out.

I enjoy it but I'll never think of it as a "serious" CCG mainly because there's no trading or drafting. I'm not sure how drafting would even work with the way the game works. You can get enough cards to have some fun without spending anything, but it seems like building a serious deck would require an absurd amount of money unless you got lucky. I guess you could say the same thing about MTG, but at least you'd know what you had to spend before you spent it.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I enjoy it but I'll never think of it as a "serious" CCG mainly because there's no trading or drafting. I'm not sure how drafting would even work with the way the game works. You can get enough cards to have some fun without spending anything, but it seems like building a serious deck would require an absurd amount of money unless you got lucky. I guess you could say the same thing about MTG, but at least you'd know what you had to spend before you spent it.

And at least MTG has venues for actually getting the cards you want. It's a complete crapshoot in Duels of Champions.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Zonekeeper posted:

Huh, so Hex counterspells have Stifle's effect built in. That's certainly a way to do it. I know 3 mana counters aren't very exciting to seasoned Magic players, but that plus the cost increase might push it into 'playable' territory at 3 mana.

Plus, the reason why 3 mana vanilla counters are underwhelming to us is that we're used to thinking of 2 mana as being the base price point, or 3 mana with added value. Until we know what Hex's curves tend to look like in practice, we won't have as good an idea what to think of a 3 mana counter, will we?

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.
The art for Ikki the Shard Grafter has to be the worst piece we've seen so far. Costume design aside, everything about the anatomy is distorted and out of proportion. Kind of surprised that got approved for actual use.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Kairos posted:

The art for Ikki the Shard Grafter has to be the worst piece we've seen so far. Costume design aside, everything about the anatomy is distorted and out of proportion. Kind of surprised that got approved for actual use.

Worse than tittywolf?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Go RV! posted:

Worse than tittywolf?

I was about to post the same thing. the answer is: "no"

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
So, I missed the live stream or whatever. Does anyone know if it was saved someplace?

Edit: Weird, I thought there was one this past friday or something but I guess it was just a fevered dream? :confused:

BambooEarpick fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 27, 2013

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

You didn't miss anything. The next stream isn't until August 9th.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
I don't think there's been a livestream for 2 months: http://www.twitch.tv/hextcg/profile/pastBroadcasts

Unless I'm missing something.

Selane
May 19, 2006

There was a Hearthstone stream yesterday, maybe you were thinking of that. :haw:

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

So, in order to hit their goal of having beta in September (which they advertised during the KS campaign), the alpha would have to be hitting relatively soon. Given the paucity of streams and information going out at this point...are we looking at another Kickstarter game hitting a delay?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I thought they decided they were going to have the Alpha in September instead?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

VanillaGorilla posted:

So, in order to hit their goal of having beta in September (which they advertised during the KS campaign), the alpha would have to be hitting relatively soon. Given the paucity of streams and information going out at this point...are we looking at another Kickstarter game hitting a delay?

If what I suspect (fairly close to complete game but the company hit money problems and had to move to KS to put the game out at all) is true, there was never any chance of August and little chance of September because the unanticipated success of the KS made the roadmap blow up. When you announce a timeframe as part of a "have to get this out the door soon or else" push, and then get two million dollars and half a dozen features that were maybe kinda sorta on the drawing board for six months to two years later added onto it, this type of stuff happens.

IMO it's not a huge deal but don't be surprised if they don't get anything out until the winter.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Adar posted:

If what I suspect (fairly close to complete game but the company hit money problems and had to move to KS to put the game out at all) is true, there was never any chance of August and little chance of September because the unanticipated success of the KS made the roadmap blow up. When you announce a timeframe as part of a "have to get this out the door soon or else" push, and then get two million dollars and half a dozen features that were maybe kinda sorta on the drawing board for six months to two years later added onto it, this type of stuff happens.

IMO it's not a huge deal but don't be surprised if they don't get anything out until the winter.

Yeah, I get that this is a likely possibility, but they've been crowing about advancing their work on the 2nd and 3rd sets in a bunch of their updates and saying nothing about when folks who put down money on their concept will have a shot at playing with set 1, which we've already paid for. We've also heard dick about PVE, lately, or seen any actual (even early/rough) gameplay footage of what PVE will look like.

I mean, they pitched the game as being in a very advanced state during the kickstarter, which is one of the reasons that I was more willing to lay down quite a bit of money on it instead of opting for a lower tier. It seems off to me that we haven't even heard firmer plans about releasing a PvP-oriented alpha using set 1 in the near term, with a more feature complete (and PvE ready) beta being pushed a few months, followed by release (which, frankly, at this point will probably include set 2). It makes me suspect that they weren't as far along with the game as they let on during the campaign.

edit: I feel like this is one of the big flaws with the whole "crowd publishing" idea of kickstarter games. We, as the theoretical funders and publishers, have virtually no way to pressure or (ultimately) punish the developers we fund if they misrepresent their progress or (and hopefully this doesn't happen) end up in development hell and delay things multiple times/forever. If I'm EA, I have some contractual options or direct financial control. With Kickstarter, I basically handed them an $85 check and said "good luck".

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 28, 2013

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Yeah, I get that this is a likely possibility, but they've been crowing about advancing their work on the 2nd and 3rd sets in a bunch of their updates and saying nothing about when folks who put down money on their concept will have a shot at playing with set 1, which we've already paid for. We've also heard dick about PVE, lately, or seen any actual (even early/rough) gameplay footage of what PVE will look like.

I mean, they pitched the game as being in a very advanced state during the kickstarter, which is one of the reasons that I was more willing to lay down quite a bit of money on it instead of opting for a lower tier. It seems off to me that we haven't even heard firmer plans about releasing a PvP-oriented alpha using set 1 in the near term, with a more feature complete (and PvE ready) beta being pushed a few months, followed by release (which, frankly, at this point will probably include set 2). It makes me suspect that they weren't as far along with the game as they let on during the campaign.

edit: I feel like this is one of the big flaws with the whole "crowd publishing" idea of kickstarter games. We, as the theoretical funders and publishers, have virtually no way to pressure or (ultimately) punish the developers we fund if they misrepresent their progress or (and hopefully this doesn't happen) end up in development hell and delay things multiple times/forever. If I'm EA, I have some contractual options or direct financial control. With Kickstarter, I basically handed them an $85 check and said "good luck".

It makes perfect sense that they're working on sets 2 and 3 now, though - I'd be worried if they weren't. Game design and programming are handled by different people. The only work left for the alpha is programming - the card design for set 1 is done. So the card designers have a choice of what to do while the programmers finish the implementation - they can work on future sets, or they can sit there with their thumbs up their asses.

They were also pretty clear during the campaign that the full PVE isn't going to be in until mid-beta, never mind the alpha (which is only going to last for a couple of weeks before the beta). So working on the PVE stuff to do demo streams or similar would come at the cost of delaying the alpha.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Selane posted:

There was a Hearthstone stream yesterday, maybe you were thinking of that. :haw:

Yeah, apparently I'm mixing up all my digital games.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
If people are going to be able to play the game at GenCon in 2 week,s I have to assume that they have something pretty close to an Alpha ready. I guess I'll find out then, but I doubt that we're months away from getting our hands on the game.

katkillad
Sep 10, 2003
I think either beta is going to get delayed or it's going to be a really short alpha period. They haven't even mentioned alpha in a while, but keep pimping how they are showing the game off at GenCon which is midway through August and I get the feeling there's probably no chance of alpha until after Gencon. So I'm not holding my breath for the September beta estimate. Even if we do get beta before the end of the year, this game could still be a year away from being finished unless they do what the other F2P games do and just remain in a perpetual state of "in beta".

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

pumpinglemma posted:

It makes perfect sense that they're working on sets 2 and 3 now, though - I'd be worried if they weren't. Game design and programming are handled by different people. The only work left for the alpha is programming - the card design for set 1 is done. So the card designers have a choice of what to do while the programmers finish the implementation - they can work on future sets, or they can sit there with their thumbs up their asses.

This exactly. There's a TON of work involved in a card set and even more for this game. In addition to the card design team, there's also the artists, level designers for dungeons using the new cards, etc etc. If they weren't working on set 2 or 3, there would be absolutely massive problems. Working on those sets is actually a sign that at least some things are proceeding relatively on schedule.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

katkillad posted:

Even if we do get beta before the end of the year, this game could still be a year away from being finished unless they do what the other F2P games do and just remain in a perpetual state of "in beta".

Cory already said they're planning on doing a "soft launch"/open beta sort of thing. IIRC there was going to be an Alpha with just PvP, a closed Beta where they'll introduce PvE, and then finally the open beta that transitions into launch.

He also said in an interview not too long ago that he was expecting alpha in September at the earliest. Perhaps they'll say more at GenCon.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Got a response about timezones and how they relate to start of the week / once per day stuff:

Cryptozoic Entertainment posted:

Grim posted:

...for the purposes of "once per day" and "once per week" clocks, will this be based on server time or the time at your head office? Will the week start on Sunday or Monday?
...as of now we haven’t made a determination if the week will begin on Sunday or Monday, but the once per day will be locked to Pacific Time.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

New update out. Looks like Christie Golden will be the novel author. Can't check them from work, but the Gencon decklists are up, and apparently have new cards in them.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I'm glad they've been keeping up with the weekly updates, I feel like they've been pretty up front with everything. Still wish there was more PvE info though.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

I'm glad they've been keeping up with the weekly updates, I feel like they've been pretty up front with everything. Still wish there was more PvE info though.

Well, they likely won't have much PvE info available until it gets close to the time for the Open Beta/Soft Launch, as there won't be any PvE other than the Arena until then.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Kairos posted:

It's on "the list" I have of art that needs to be redone. I wouldn't let a suboptimal card image gate information, and having something is better than CARD IMAGE MISSING in Impact font in the artbox.

As for PVE content, I hope the Wakuna panorama helped a bit. I'll probably provide an interview with Kevin Jordan post-Gen Con.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Every tcg should have CARD NAME HERE at some point during their run.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

This game has PvE? :v:

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I just learned about this game (Extremely bummed I missed out on the kickstarter) and have been devouring any information I can get my hands on regarding it. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is how or if sets will rotate. Will Set 1 be available forever? Will they stop selling it at some point? Will there be the equivalents on Magic's Legacy and Standard?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Gross Dude posted:

I just learned about this game (Extremely bummed I missed out on the kickstarter) and have been devouring any information I can get my hands on regarding it. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is how or if sets will rotate. Will Set 1 be available forever? Will they stop selling it at some point? Will there be the equivalents on Magic's Legacy and Standard?

We have no clue how things are going to shake out. Magic's formats sort of sprung into being as the game matured, so those decisions will likely be made down the road. The first set has to lay a lot of groundwork and set the tone for the entire game, so I wouldn't expect anything too crazy.

That said, I'm looking forward to PVE the most. I love the idea of that format, since it allows them to go crazy with the fun overpowered stuff without worrying about warping the PVP game.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Zonekeeper posted:

We have no clue how things are going to shake out. Magic's formats sort of sprung into being as the game matured, so those decisions will likely be made down the road. The first set has to lay a lot of groundwork and set the tone for the entire game, so I wouldn't expect anything too crazy.

That said, I'm looking forward to PVE the most. I love the idea of that format, since it allows them to go crazy with the fun overpowered stuff without worrying about warping the PVP game.

My favorite iteration of Magic was the original Microprose Shandalar game. It was only PVE and the AI sucked, but it was one of the most fun things magic has ever done. While I love drafting and will play a ton of PVP on this, I think the PVE looks far above what the current Magic games give us. Duels of the Planeswalkers (Not the Microprose one) has always been a huge let down to me.

I've been into Magic forever, and everything about this game is what I've been wanting out of Magic ever since Shandalar.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Gross Dude posted:

devouring any information I can get my hands on regarding it.

Check out http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23180 if you haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

I had not seen this, and it answers my question, so thanks!

quote:

Q:I would also like to know about the card rotation plan. Will there be standard and unlimited formats, or will all cards be legal to play forever?
A:Right now we're planned for a 2 block format, as well as an everything format. That is the current plan. We might revisit it after 2 years of data.

So, it sounds like there will be a Standard equivalent.

• Locked thread