Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

Lars posted:

I know that this is a IndieGoGo project, but I've known this guy since 3rd grade, and they're quite far in the development of the game already.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/conquer-mars

The game is a browser-based fast paced RTS, runs really well and is already quite fun and hectic. It's focused on macro and just having fun backstabbing your friends with hundreds of units warped in over the course of a game.

Not going to do a full salespitch, but go check it out - it's an ambitious project, but they are already quite far on their own money (with a playable alpha)

Indiegogo flexible funding, 100k goal. Yahhh, gonna wait until they hit 100k before I look at it seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
gently caress flexible funding. Why don't they just take paypal donations or something if their goal amount is completely arbitrary?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Renoistic posted:

Rainfall: the Sojourn was funded last year but updates have been really rare, and the project lead has been complaining about not receiving assets on time. Last update was in June. He/she showed off some sprites and backgrounds but promised something animated next update. Their money must've run out by now unless they have another source of income so I have a bad feeling about this one.

Their official Twitter feed posted a couple of animated sprites about two weeks ago, actually.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Krabkolash posted:

Indiegogo flexible funding, 100k goal. Yahhh, gonna wait until they hit 100k before I look at it seriously.

Yup, I'm no fan of FlexFunding either, but I figured I would get the word out. As for just doing the Paypal donation thing, a campaign is a way better way to spread the word, although either way it goes towards the same goal.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
A campaign is better but unless there is a serious reason not to use kickstarter rather than flexible funding, I just don't see it succeeding.

I like the look of the game, but the chances of it hitting 100k on indiegogo are pretty slim. At least kickstarter seems legitimate, whereas I think indiegogo still struggles with that.

I hope they succeed, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If they do fail, I'd suggest they look at what made other kickstarters succeed and lay the groundwork for that and then try again on kickstarter (minus whatever amount they raised with flex funding so the goal is seen as legit rather than a failed attempt at a money grab).

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
Another game that got funded and completed and is often overlooked is Expeditions: Conquistador. It's out in good old games and steam.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
It has a terrible name, and the devs behind it are terrible at PR, BUT...

This is kind of the Escape Velocity: Nova "spiritual successor" kickstarter I was hoping someone would do: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1396394944/last-jungle-in-sector-17/ - it's got the same awesome combat, at least. This one is more of a tower defense game, though, which is kinda "eh".

It looks mechanically very, very solid. It also has a really low ask. The guys driving it just have no clue how to promote themselves, and did the programmer thing of focusing on the game/systems first.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 26, 2013

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Great Rumbler posted:

Their official Twitter feed posted a couple of animated sprites about two weeks ago, actually.
The real problem isn't lack of animated sprites, it's lack of gameplay videos. Since all of the original screenshots for the game were 100% mockups, nobody except the developers have *ever* seen any in-game footage of the game, despite many people asking over and over and over.

It sucks for the project lead (Karim, I think) if he's not getting assets delivered, but he is horrible at communication. He doesn't answer emails or tweets, doesn't respond to comments on the kickstarter page, etc.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
I wanted to share this on behalf of a friend of mine who acted a small role in it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reactivestudios/codename-cygnus-an-interactive-radio-drama-for-ios

Codename Cygnus is billed as an "interactive radio drama" for iOS, with a spy theme (think 30's-era radio serials). The gameplay is mostly just listening and making choices, with some branching paths and dialogue based on your choices etc. Probably its biggest feature is professional voice acting (necessary for a game focused on radio-style drama), including Logan Cunningham, the voice actor of the narrator from Bastion, which I thought was pretty badass for a small project like this. They're already releasing the whole first mission regardless of if the kickstarter is successful. Definitely a niche title, but the goals seem very clear and focused and not insanely ambitious, and it has a pleasantly low kickstarter goal.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcNS7ljcjWU

Princeps32 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 26, 2013

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Princeps32 posted:

I wanted to share this on behalf of a friend of mine who acted a small role in it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reactivestudios/codename-cygnus-an-interactive-radio-drama-for-ios

Codename Cygnus is billed as an "interactive radio drama" for iOS, with a spy theme (think 30's-era radio serials). The gameplay is mostly just listening and making choices, with some branching paths and dialogue based on your choices etc. Probably its biggest feature is professional voice acting (necessary for a game focused on radio-style drama), including Logan Cunningham, the voice actor of the narrator from Bastion, which I thought was pretty badass for a small project like this. They've already releasing the whole first mission regardless of if the kickstarter is successful. Definitely a niche title, but the goals seem very clear and focused and not insanely ambitious, and it has a pleasantly low kickstarter goal.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcNS7ljcjWU

This seems pretty neat, and they got the narrator from Bastion, so that's cool. Not really my sort of deal (also no iOS device) but still seems neat.

Orzo posted:

The real problem isn't lack of animated sprites, it's lack of gameplay videos. Since all of the original screenshots for the game were 100% mockups, nobody except the developers have *ever* seen any in-game footage of the game, despite many people asking over and over and over.

It sucks for the project lead (Karim, I think) if he's not getting assets delivered, but he is horrible at communication. He doesn't answer emails or tweets, doesn't respond to comments on the kickstarter page, etc.

Yeah. I backed it and I'm starting to feel a bit worried it's ever going to happen :\

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
With all of the talk recently of kinda shady Kickstarters I wonder if Yogventures will ever see the light of day. The alpha videos look...like an early version of Minecraft I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiXT0tRo_Ps

I just don't know why this game exists. Minecraft YouTube celebrities wanted a Minecraft clone of their own? Don't we have enough of those now?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Has there been a Minecraft successor? I know there are tons of alphas and videos of things that look like Minecraft cranked up to 11 but no one has actually released anything right?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The WoW guild should sue :colbert:

YOGS (still is?) was Ye Olde Goone Squade on Venture Co.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Has there been a Minecraft successor? I know there are tons of alphas and videos of things that look like Minecraft cranked up to 11 but no one has actually released anything right?
3079 came out and 3089 is being made right now. There are probably other examples but I don't even play Minecraft let alone Minecraft clones.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Carecat posted:

The WoW guild should sue :colbert:

YOGS (still is?) was Ye Olde Goone Squade on Venture Co.

Doesn't the name come from them being in that guild and making WoW videos..?

Edit: Cursory googling indicates yes and also refers to the guild in the past-tense so I'm not really sure what the complaint is.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Krabkolash posted:

A campaign is better but unless there is a serious reason not to use kickstarter rather than flexible funding, I just don't see it succeeding.

I like the look of the game, but the chances of it hitting 100k on indiegogo are pretty slim. At least kickstarter seems legitimate, whereas I think indiegogo still struggles with that.
A large portion of the reason indiegogo struggles with looking legit is the flex funding thing.

Shalinor posted:

It has a terrible name, and the devs behind it are terrible at PR, BUT...

This is kind of the Escape Velocity: Nova "spiritual successor" kickstarter I was hoping someone would do: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1396394944/last-jungle-in-sector-17/ - it's got the same awesome combat, at least. This one is more of a tower defense game, though, which is kinda "eh".

It looks mechanically very, very solid. It also has a really low ask. The guys driving it just have no clue how to promote themselves, and did the programmer thing of focusing on the game/systems first.
I dunno, "Defend a base" being the backbone of the gameplay and "EV:N successor" don't really seem to go together to me. :shrug:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

epitasis posted:

Doesn't the name come from them being in that guild and making WoW videos..?

Edit: Cursory googling indicates yes and also refers to the guild in the past-tense so I'm not really sure what the complaint is.

I think it might have been an Everquest guild before the wow guild.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Zereth posted:

I dunno, "Defend a base" being the backbone of the gameplay and "EV:N successor" don't really seem to go together to me. :shrug:

When I looked at that before I completely missed the tower defense structure somehow. Exploration was one of the best things about EV:N for me.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Zereth posted:

Yea I always say Escape Velocity as more of an exploration, and capture as many ships planets as you can sort of game with quests and stuff. Not sure how tower defense really works into Escape Velocity.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

When I looked at that before I completely missed the tower defense structure somehow. Exploration was one of the best things about EV:N for me.
Exactly. Gotta love that relatively early mission to go to the rear end end of the universe for science in EV:N.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

FuzzySlippers posted:

Same. I watched the video, got excited, made the post, then realized that by "single player campaign" they meant "series of base defenses." So, false alarm. :(

... but the combat does still look fun and neat. I just wish it wasn't tied to a lame wave defense game.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

With all of the talk recently of kinda shady Kickstarters I wonder if Yogventures will ever see the light of day. The alpha videos look...like an early version of Minecraft I guess.

I just don't know why this game exists. Minecraft YouTube celebrities wanted a Minecraft clone of their own? Don't we have enough of those now?

I always figured this was like Doublefine Adventure, only instead of throwing money at an established, pedigreed developer in the hopes of seeing a poorly defined game emerge, you're throwing money at a couple of Youtube celebrities with the same goal.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yogventures was meant to be Minecraft, but with smoother landscaping, and reduced ability to reshape the enviroment during play.

Because they really wanted a game that enforced the limitations you were supposed to obey in those Minecraft "adventure" maps. Which are Minecraft saves where someone marks off a path and uses signs and poo poo to direct you onward and you're supposed to just not mine your way through obstacles.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

The Warmachine: Tactics kickstarter hit a stretch goal for another single-player campaign today, adding a Menoth vs Khador mission pack to the game. They've also unlocked the next two stretch goals after that (mercenary units added to multiplayer).

Hopefully they'll keep up the pace to get to at least the next mission pack (~267k to go).

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Pyrolocutus posted:

The Warmachine: Tactics kickstarter hit a stretch goal for another single-player campaign today, adding a Menoth vs Khador mission pack to the game. They've also unlocked the next two stretch goals after that (mercenary units added to multiplayer).

Hopefully they'll keep up the pace to get to at least the next mission pack (~267k to go).

Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting so sick of kickstarters with tons of stretch goals and add-ons. I really like that Massive Chalice didn't post any stretch goals and is just focusing on making a good game.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

mcpringles posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting so sick of kickstarters with tons of stretch goals and add-ons. I really like that Massive Chalice didn't post any stretch goals and is just focusing on making a good game.

I don't really see what he alternative is, except to just not disclose the stretch goals. I guess they could pay themselves a higher wage or keep the money for emergencies, but then I'm guessing not many people would bother to pledge past the initial goal.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Seashell Salesman posted:

I don't really see what he alternative is, except to just not disclose the stretch goals. I guess they could pay themselves a higher wage or keep the money for emergencies, but then I'm guessing not many people would bother to pledge past the initial goal.

I think that's basically the reasoning behind stretch goals now, if it wasn't to begin with. That and KS-only benefits. For computer games, I don't know. Is, say, the new Divine Divinity asking around 100,000 to put NPC schedules in a reasonable thing? Is an extra ten grand for spin-down counter dice on top of a project that originally asked fifty grand worth it? And how many people actually increase their pledge, versus more people coming in to get in on the ground floor?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

I don't think Yogventures was ever supposed to be a Minecraft clone. It's an adventure creation kit, really. It's not something you can just play in a sandbox mode, as far as I can tell. Basically the Yogscast really loved Minecraft "adventure maps" (scenario maps with stories and objectives created and shared by other players) and recognized that Minecraft was extremely limited in what it actually allowed adventure map makers to do. So they thought they'd make a game dedicated entirely to that. Since their campaign ended, however, Minecraft has gotten substantially more powerful as an adventure creation tool and has given map makers a ton more tools and there has been some really advanced and interesting stuff coming from the community since then. I wonder if Yogventures is necessary at all in light of that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bieeardo posted:

I think that's basically the reasoning behind stretch goals now, if it wasn't to begin with. That and KS-only benefits. For computer games, I don't know. Is, say, the new Divine Divinity asking around 100,000 to put NPC schedules in a reasonable thing? Is an extra ten grand for spin-down counter dice on top of a project that originally asked fifty grand worth it? And how many people actually increase their pledge, versus more people coming in to get in on the ground floor?

You might be underestimating the time and effort required for adding additional functionality to software if it's not specifically planned for during predevelopment stages. 100k is, like, not that much when you have a large studio, and people are already working full bore on their assignments and you're still going to overshoot your delivery. To keep to the same window, you have to hire more people. If you're doing even more you have to push the window back AND hire more people.

But yeah, as you said, this is about raising as much money as you can. It's very psychologically designed to continue to appeal to everyone who is already engaged with the process. And the higher the amount received, the more likely other people on the fence would then give their money to it.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 27, 2013

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Drifter posted:

You might be underestimating the time and effort required for adding additional functionality to software if it's not specifically planned for during predevelopment stages. 100k is, like, not that much when you have a large studio, and people are already working full bore on their assignments and you're still going to overshoot your delivery. To keep to the same window, you have to hire more people. If you're doing even more you have to push the window back AND hire more people.

Yeah adding functionality is definitely not a linear thing. Sometimes the change to enable some new scenario takes a day but then a week later you find out you just broke an assumption someone made a year ago and now it's going to cost weeks to fix the feature that took you a day to implement. And even the it permanently increases the matrix you have to test all other features against.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I meant it literally when I said I didn't know if $100,000 is reasonable for that sort of thing. I'm inclined to give software Kickstarters the benefit of the doubt in those cases, because I've heard horror stories about Development Hell, and even more after hearing in passing that Harebrained had to get outside funding help to finish Shadowrun Returns.

If that turns out to be true, and given the rough time Doublefine's had getting that one project, I'm beginning to wonder if crowdfunding isn't a better way to determine interest in risky projects (with people putting their money where their mouths are) and attract traditional funding from there, rather than as the closed system it works as for more straightforward projects.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Yodzilla posted:

Don't we have enough of those now?

Please list all the Minecraft clones that passed an alpha/tech demo stage and are actually somewhat fun to play. I'm still waiting for someone to take the genre further and years later there's been no one to take it to finish (and no, Cube World doesn't count).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SupSuper posted:

Well here's a quick rundown from the games I've backed:

Successful Kickstarters (game is finished and released):
- Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
- Legend of Dungeon
- Leisure Suit Larry Land of the Lounge Lizards Reloaded
- Retrovirus*
- Shadowrun Returns
- Strike Suit Zero
- Word Realms

Thanks for the rundown. I went to Steam and checked out some of those games. Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams looks very visually impressive, even though I'm not usually into platformers. It's exactly what you would expect an example of the genre to look like in 2013. Still waiting for goons to report on Shadowrun Returns. I would also mention Expeditions: Conquistador, which is a pretty good and challenging turn-based RPG. Perhaps not an epic, life-changing experience, but for an 'indie' game it is definitely worth the price.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I'm broadly pro stretch goals. Yes they can be silly or misused but it seems reasonable to me to estimate this additional feature will probably cost x so if we raise x we'll put it in. It seems to be a fairly standard feature of budgeting.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks for the rundown. I went to Steam and checked out some of those games. Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams looks very visually impressive, even though I'm not usually into platformers. It's exactly what you would expect an example of the genre to look like in 2013. Still waiting for goons to report on Shadowrun Returns. I would also mention Expeditions: Conquistador, which is a pretty good and challenging turn-based RPG. Perhaps not an epic, life-changing experience, but for an 'indie' game it is definitely worth the price.

Giana is somewhat fun, but I'm not much into platformers these days. I used to really love them, and this one has so much effort put into the visuals and mechanics that I'd probably have enjoyed it as a kid.

Shadowrun Returns is a top seller on Steam right now and as someone who just finished it, I can say that it is quite fun, and the editor should make it even moreso.

Conquistador still has a few rough edges to smooth out but has been seeing patches and additions lately that seem to be making it a much grander experience. Fun for what it is and with quite good music.

Edit: As for stretch goals I am all for them. They motivate people's imaginations and sense of accomplishment for what they're helping to create.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Phlegmish posted:

Still waiting for goons to report on Shadowrun Returns.

I don't know why, you could just read the thread right here in this same subforum.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476514

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Boiled Water posted:

I think it might have been an Everquest guild before the wow guild.

It wasn't, it was always a WoW guild. We started YOGS back in the fall of 2006 on the Venture Co. server in the EU. The ORIGINAL idea was to be an all-dwarf gimmick RP guild, but we quickly realized that was unfeasible and just made it a general "be chill and have fun with video games" guild. It became super popular real quick and for a long time it was the biggest EU goon guild by far, and the YOGScast people were all if not original then very early members.

Even though I was the original GM I haven't played in YOGS since The Burning Crusade so I'm not exactly up to date on later developments and can't comment on how they got started (they're goons though so ask them), but the guild is dead these days.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 27, 2013

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I don't know why, you could just read the thread right here in this same subforum.
Yeah, firstly I'd view the thread by date, but if that isn't helpful I'd say to ask the Steam thread, that way you can avoid spoilers or if a thread is just too circle-jerky. There's already been some mini-reviews there (fair to good if somewhat constrained, short 10-12 hours, checkpoint system implemented late in development due to Unity problems, already impressive fan made stuff rivaling main campaign, if I'm remembering correctly anyways), and it is better than card talk anyway.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I didn't know it had its own thread. Makes sense, since even Expeditions: Conquistador does. I'm heading over there right now.

Also obligatory mention of Divinity: Original Sin, which is coming out in a few months. So stoked for that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

mcpringles posted:

Yeah, I don't like them either but a lot of Warmachine: Tactics' stretch goals are basically art based. It's a turn based strategy game(basically) so they're just tweaking values for systems that will already have to be built for the main goal. They're a relatively modern war game company so they may already have digital assets for their miniatures. If you're familiar with Warmachine, they're not straying outside previously covered ground of the table top version either. The systems are already playtested so there's no design to do on that side.