Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

phi6 posted:

Hey guys,

Just a quick heads up, Scott Jone's Colonisation Moonbase has only 21 hours to go and so very close to getting funded! Race to Mars failed recently so it would be good to see at least one space strategy game succeed this week.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/993702462/colonisation-moonbase-an-indie-game-for-pc

I backed this, needs £112 in 3 hours to get over the line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phi6
May 26, 2013
Just woke up. Oh my god, 3 hours to go and only £115!
This is ridiculous!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'd pledge if it wasn't in moon dollars.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Baloogan posted:

I'd pledge if it wasn't in moon dollars.

I can't tell if you're a real person or a construct designed to talk about 'moon dollars' and nothing else.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

mcpringles posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting so sick of kickstarters with tons of stretch goals and add-ons. I really like that Massive Chalice didn't post any stretch goals and is just focusing on making a good game.

I think the warmachine game is an exception to this though. They have an established base of warjacks, units, solos etc. And more money just means they can add even more models to the multiplayer game to make it even more like the tabletop, along with expanding the initial universe to the additional factions that were at first not going to make the cut.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Chairchucker posted:

I can't tell if you're a real person or a construct designed to talk about 'moon dollars' and nothing else.

Hey I'm just doing my part to help there be a day where Kickstarter just lists prices in dollars.

phi6
May 26, 2013
Since America rules the world of course.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_consumer_markets

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Doesn't even matter, prices should convert to your currency.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Prices should convert to your currency but to automatically not back anything at all solely based on the displayed currency is just beyond retarded, and continuing to post about said practice over and over in this thread is not very productive.

Anyways, looks like that Moonbase game just barely squeaked through. Bullfrog style base management but with a moon base seems like it could be a neat idea but that game looks a little rough. I hope the funding allows him to flesh it out.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Also on this occasion I was poking a little fun: its a moon game.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

That would be ideal, yes.

But anyway whatever game that was ended up making it with, what, 67 pounds to spare?

I looked down at the conversion chart as I might've ended up pledging if it would have literally made the difference in whether it got funded or not but otherwise: $23? Oof. Those are some rouuuggh graphics for $23.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Baloogan posted:

Hey I'm just doing my part to help there be a day where Kickstarter just lists prices in dollars.

I, too, can't do basic multiplication

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Some people are going to flip right the gently caress out when Kickstarter Canada launches soon and lists everything in $CAD

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

Fluctuations in currency exchanges make that problematic, whereas an explicit pledge of twenty pounds sterling at the beginning of a kickstarter will still be twenty pounds sterling when it closes.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I don't think it would be an unsurmountable problem to list both or do it like this: approximate conversion to your currency: JPY 1959.40 (amount to pay: USD 20) or JPY 1959.40 (price listed is approximate conversion, click here to see the original amount you will pay).

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

lordfrikk posted:

I don't think it would be an unsurmountable problem to list both or do it like this: approximate conversion to your currency: JPY 1959.40 (amount to pay: USD 20) or JPY 1959.40 (price listed is approximate conversion, click here to see the original amount you will pay).

And then there's $4 to 8% credit card/bank fees on top of that for the currency conversion. If Amazon is the one to convert it, then they'll take their slice. Kickstarter is never going to do this, it makes the prices way too vague.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Obsurveyor posted:

And then there's $4 to 8% credit card/bank fees on top of that for the currency conversion. If Amazon is the one to convert it, then they'll take their slice. Kickstarter is never going to do this, it makes the prices way too vague.

Having a price listed in a foreign currency with an added, unknown conversion fee being added during transaction sounds pretty vague to me!

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.
Simple Currency Converter 2.14 for Firefox allows me to see the prices in my currency as well as the original currency on Kickstarter.
I've also chosen 5% to be added to the converted currency so that it better reflects Amazon fees or whatever you might have.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Having a price listed in a foreign currency with an added, unknown conversion fee being added during transaction sounds pretty vague to me!

The consumer not knowing if they're going to be hit for using a different currency than their own is not Kickstarter's problem. Kickstarter listing a US price and then charging a different amount is.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Call Now posted:

I, too, can't do basic multiplication

I too have never heard of this obscure currency called 'the pound'

He needs to stop with his gimmick though, it's getting a little tiring.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Now you know what Kickstarter is like for Europeans. Even the D:OS Kickstarter was in thalers :qq:

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 29, 2013

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

90's Arcade Racer hasn't updated in a while and I'm starting to think the Nicalis partnership is starting to rub off on it or something. Really hope it's not canceled or having dev issues.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Phlegmish posted:

Now you know what Kickstarter is like for Europeans. Even the D:OS Kickstarter was in thalers :qq:
I love it because Dollars < Euros so everything looks cheaper to me that's how currency works right. :v:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Fellow goons, while I've got a thread for Dungeonmans up elsewhere in Games, I thought I'd swing by here and pimp Dungeonmans just one more time as the KS winds down.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56637190/dungeonmans-the-heroic-adventure-roguelike

4 days left, 8.5k to go. Not impossible, but the game hasn't picked up the number of backers I thought it would, and so things are in jeopardy. Dungeonmans will continue on one way or another, though if the KS doesn't make it, development will certainly be much shorter.

The thread here is all about the game and not simply a kickstarter shill. People are discussing strats, builds, likes/dislikes, and pointing out bugs to help me make it better. If you like crushing monsters and haven't checked it out already, please give it a try!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558729

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just wanted to mention that it looks like Eterium (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1989266212/eterium-a-space-combat-sim-for-windows-pc?ref=activity) is going to miss it's funding goal.

Gameplay video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Z1DxbG1bU

I have no dog in this fight other than I backed it, I just wanted to let people know about it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Trapezium Dave posted:

Fluctuations in currency exchanges make that problematic, whereas an explicit pledge of twenty pounds sterling at the beginning of a kickstarter will still be twenty pounds sterling when it closes.

These campaigns go for 30 days. Barring a US currency crash that leads us all living Mad Max style besieging oil refineries in the Texas wasteland (at which point you probably have bigger problems than Kickstarter), your pledge is gonna fluctuate +/- about $1.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

madjackmcmad posted:

Fellow goons, while I've got a thread for Dungeonmans up elsewhere in Games, I thought I'd swing by here and pimp Dungeonmans just one more time as the KS winds down.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/56637190/dungeonmans-the-heroic-adventure-roguelike

4 days left, 8.5k to go. Not impossible, but the game hasn't picked up the number of backers I thought it would, and so things are in jeopardy. Dungeonmans will continue on one way or another, though if the KS doesn't make it, development will certainly be much shorter.

The thread here is all about the game and not simply a kickstarter shill. People are discussing strats, builds, likes/dislikes, and pointing out bugs to help me make it better. If you like crushing monsters and haven't checked it out already, please give it a try!

That really sucks. :( I was hoping this would happen. Maybe a miracle will occur!

(If you remake the Kickstarter, with a smaller goal, will that get rid of the money that would pay for zircon?)

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Jordan7hm posted:

I've never pledged to a kickstarter before, but I'm wondering about Tom vs the Armies of Hell. Is there anything that stands out as particularly good or bad with this one? Looking at his game footage it looks pretty fun, but I'm not sure what red flags might be. Other than the fact he is doing it solo and wants 100k.

This looks like CAD the video game, a generic adventure with a bunch of characters nobody cares about. Also 100,000 for that game seems insane, since it looks like something that would quickly litter the bargain bin of the PlayStation Network.

That being said, Kickstarter is about backing projects you want to see made, or at least think you would like to see made. Just ask yourself, if this was on steam, how much would I spend to play it right now, then wait like 8 months and flip a coin to see if it actually comes out.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

AxeManiac posted:

This looks like CAD the video game, a generic adventure with a bunch of characters nobody cares about. Also 100,000 for that game seems insane, since it looks like something that would quickly litter the bargain bin of the PlayStation Network.

That being said, Kickstarter is about backing projects you want to see made, or at least think you would like to see made. Just ask yourself, if this was on steam, how much would I spend to play it right now, then wait like 8 months and flip a coin to see if it actually comes out.

The art style of this game really bugs me. I hate it, hate it, hate it.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

madjackmcmad posted:

Dungeonmans is pretty awesome plus he has a fully playable demo in the linked thread -- if you liked the humor of Dreadmor this is another must pledge.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

AxeManiac posted:

Also 100,000 for that game seems insane

Seashell Salesman posted:

The art style of this game really bugs me. I hate it, hate it, hate it.

That's a great deal of money for a game that simple. I do wonder when people say 100k if they measured that number out or are just rounding to the nearest awesome pile of cash. I haven't played the demo, but it would take some really clever gameplay to get people excited about that art style. DannyB makes some fine music though, that could help.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

madjackmcmad posted:

That's a great deal of money for a game that simple. I do wonder when people say 100k if they measured that number out or are just rounding to the nearest awesome pile of cash. I haven't played the demo, but it would take some really clever gameplay to get people excited about that art style. DannyB makes some fine music though, that could help.

I don't know if I'd say the dollar amount is wrong. If I was just going to work on a game for a year, even if it sucked, I'd still want $100,000 so that I could pay myself a salary.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

I don't know if I'd say the dollar amount is wrong. If I was just going to work on a game for a year, even if it sucked, I'd still want $100,000 so that I could pay myself a salary.

That's one way of looking at it, but you'd be hard pressed to convince backers that the 100k is worth it just because you want what they would see as a six figure salary. Chasm asked for 150k, but they've got a team of four and they're making something pretty big in scope.

Honestly the current way of things is that if you work indie, you get a much smaller salary than you'd get working for a studio. That changes if the game sells well, but until then, you're investing your own time and capital as part of the project.

Anyway, clearly I'm no expert on pricing Kickstarters, but I built my financial goal around the estimated number of backers I'd pull in. 100k means you need maybe 5k backers, that's a tall order without a lot of fancy and shiny game to go along with it. It helps if you're a big studio (bigger than 1 person) and can offer up pie-in-the-sky physical rewards.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I think it isn't fair to say you want the expenses of the game met AS WELL as an entire standard salary of 40k+ a year. Living expenses, like rent/mortgage and a few other small things + game expenses should be more than enough, especially considering you have future product sales to bank on as well.

If the guy wants to make 60k of profit on top of his 40k of work and bills and food, screw that. I am entirely unsympathetic. :colbert:

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Drifter posted:

I think it isn't fair to say you want the expenses of the game met AS WELL as an entire standard salary of 40k+ a year. Living expenses, like rent/mortgage and a few other small things + game expenses should be more than enough, especially considering you have future product sales to bank on as well.

If the guy wants to make 60k of profit on top of his 40k of work and bills and food, screw that. I am entirely unsympathetic. :colbert:

This seems pretty unfair to one man operations. I'm guessing larger kickstarters aren't paging their devs 40,000 per year.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
While that may be true, I'm still inclined to skip a one person, $100,000 Kickstarter because I have strong reservations about their ability to produce.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

This seems pretty unfair to one man operations. I'm guessing larger kickstarters aren't paging their devs 40,000 per year.
Those are larger Kickstarters. We can run those once we're Double Fine or have a huge team and super fancy demo. Otherwise, yeah, expecting more than $40k/year is a bad idea and probably isn't happening.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Shalinor posted:

Those are larger Kickstarters. We can run those once we're Double Fine or have a huge team and super fancy demo. Otherwise, yeah, expecting more than $40k/year is a bad idea and probably isn't happening.

People can give or not give money to whoever they want. I haven't seen any one man kickstarters that I really cared about and the only one I gave money to was Cult. The point of contention, though, was whether $100,000 was too high a budget for one guy working on a thing for a year.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think its safe to say that it is too high considering there's no way he'll reach that goal in the next 3 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

voltron lion force posted:

I think its safe to say that it is too high considering there's no way he'll reach that goal in the next 3 weeks.

That is because no one cares about his game, not because he's greedy and trying to gouge people.