Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

coyo7e posted:

Because it costs a heckuva lot to print a professional book on paper, compared to an ebook. They'll almost certainly be taking a loss on stuff like that physical novel.

Not necessarily. An on-demand printing service like Create Space will print a physical book for about $4 [plus the price of shipping, which wouldn't be too bad if you're shipping in bulk]. Factor in the cost to ship to backers and the cost would probably only be about $10-$12 per physical book. And the results are really quite nice as long as you're willing to put in the effort to properly format everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Compared to downloading an old legacy copy of Adobe Pro and turning a word doc into a PDF? I bet it costs slightly more. Either way, promising physical rewards to people who're helping to fund your project is a, "two steps forward, one step back," :clint: way of doing business.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

And that's just taking in printing, not shipping, not you know, paying the person to write them, edit them, compile, format, etc.

Kickstarter rewards are a tricky thing, because sure an extra $20 for a shirt sounds ok, until you take into account things like minimum orders, designing them, shipping them, taking the fees off for that extra funding, etc. It's why most higher tiers are more of a prestige/contribution thing than a rewards thing.

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

If that really is "final", I'm kind of disappointed. For all the crowing about how 2D backgrounds means oh my god they can pack in so much beautiful insane detail because it's 1992 and real time 3D graphics haven't advanced past primitive polyhedrons with gourad shaders, this looks a lot like a few obviously flat layers with some unimpressive textures.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Ah Pook posted:

If that really is "final", I'm kind of disappointed. For all the crowing about how 2D backgrounds means oh my god they can pack in so much beautiful insane detail because it's 1992 and real time 3D graphics haven't advanced past primitive polyhedrons with gourad shaders, this looks a lot like a few obviously flat layers with some unimpressive textures.

It's a proof-of-concept test of 2D processes and the Unity engine. It is the "final" pic we put out there, but we're nowhere near the final look of the actual game.

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

Brother None posted:

It's a proof-of-concept test of 2D processes and the Unity engine. It is the "final" pic we put out there, but we're nowhere near the final look of the actual game.

Well then "final" is a bad caption for the top part and I'm taking all my money back + suing you regardless

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Ah Pook posted:

Are we looking at the same picture?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I think it looks pretty neat. :saddowns:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
It looks nice, you butt. :saddowns:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Yeah, I'm not really seeing what's bad about the picture. Perhaps if you fail to notice the bottom part is unfinished...

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think it looks great, i will be very happy if the Final picture is an indication of how the game will look.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yep it looks great and pretty much on par with what's going on with Oblivion's project. That's just the flat final. I'm sure when in game it will have effects work on top of that too (like moving particles for magics and water and whatnot).

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Have you seen Shadowrun Returns in action? I figure Torment/PE are going to look at least as good as that and frankly, SR looks pretty badass.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That picture looks awesome, plain and simple.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The preorder PDFs of the Numenera corebook have just arrived for people who backed or preordered it, so we might get some concrete information on the world/systems being released soon, if not from inXile themselves, by extrapolating from the book.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

The preorder PDFs of the Numenera corebook have just arrived for people who backed or preordered it, so we might get some concrete information on the world/systems being released soon, if not from inXile themselves, by extrapolating from the book.

I haven't gotten anything :negative:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If the backers of Numenera are getting their PDFs, presumably the Torment backers who chipped in at the appropriate tier will be getting ours relatively soon as well.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hakkesshu posted:

I haven't gotten anything :negative:

Mine wasn't through a Torment pledge level, so it's possible they'll be going out later if you're getting it that way.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oh, yeah, I forgot Numenera had its own Kickstarter.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am reading through the book now, i haven't really paid much attention to the actual rules, but setting is really interesting. I am looking forward to Torment even more now.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
One thing that has surprised me so far, is that it in many places has a Lovecraft/China Mieville feel, it is a science fiction setting played as fantasy, but there are a lot of weird/horror parts.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The Amber Monolith, the free short story that was released a while ago, had a very slight sci-fi Lovecraft tinge to it too, what with forces that no-one understands turning people into inhuman monstrosities for simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

EDIT: Having had a chance to check out the book, the Amber Monolith is actually in it, so that might actually have been what you were referencing anyway.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 1, 2013

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What pledge level was required for this PDF book?

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Wildtortilla posted:

What pledge level was required for this PDF book?

$125 unless you added it as an extra.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

I have done a bit of browsing in the Numenera PDF that I got yesterday. Here are a few facts about the basic system. Bear in mind that much of this may be modified for the computer adaptation.

Character Tiers:
You start at tier 1 and can go up to 6. You gain a tier by buying 4 Benefits. A Benefit is things like 4 more points to one of your basic pools, increasing the number of levels of effort you can apply or becoming trained in a skill. Note that the limit on tiers is one of the things Colin have mentioned will very likely be changed for the computer game.

The basic stats, Might, Speed and Intellect, have two attributes to them: Pool, which is how much you can spend from it (9-12 is considered 'average'), and Edge, which is basically a fixed stat that gives you a discount on spending once per action (so things that normally cost 3 would, if your edge is 1, only cost 2). If Edge reduces an expenditure of a special ability to 0, the action can be used for free. Special abilities are tied to your type (Glaive, Jack or Nano) or Focus and gained automatically as you go up in tiers. An example of a Glaive special ability is Bash, which let you daze an attacker for 1 round at the cost of 1 Might point, but you deal reduced damage. With a Might Edge of 1, this ability becomes free to use.

Skills have two levels, trained and specialized. Each level reduce the difficulty of rolls they apply to by 1. There is a cap to reducing difficulty from skills of 2, and other things that help (teamwork, equipment etc) are likewise capped at 2, so the most you can normally reduce difficulty without using Effort is 4.

You regain pools by resting, which can be done anywhere, but take increasingly longer periods of time. The first time each cycle only takes a few seconds (so it can be done in the middle of combat). You regain 1d6+<your tier>. The next time takes 10 seconds (roughly two combat actions), then I think an hour etc. The final step takes 10 hours. Pools are very much designed to be used all the time.

Your tier limits how many Cyphers (one-shot numenera) you can carry at once. 2 is normal for CharGen. The GM and players are encouraged to make it easy to get new ones, so players don't end up hording them, but are continually replacing them as they are used.

Your descriptor (the 'charming' part of 'I am a charming jack who posts a lot') can do things like give you extra Edge, free training in certain skills ('every skill related to personal interaction' f.inst), give you extra equipment or even hit you with inabilities, making difficulty go up for certain tasks (not all descriptors have this, so it's a balancing thing).

Focus is even more special abilities, and you gain additional ones as you go up in tiers. One example is Bears a Flaming Halo, which replaces all esoterie 'force' effects with fire effects, and lets you do stuff like make a mantle of fire, throw fireballs etc. Like all special abilities, some cost points from your pools to activate. Each Focus also has a Connection effect, that makes it tie into one of the other PCs. For the Flaming Halo, the Connection is that one of the others (PC choice) is immune to their flame effects.

EDIT: Oh yeah, final thing. Characters Might, Speed and Intellect pools are also their Health. If all three are drained to 0, you're dead. There is a damage track that goes up and down as your pools are drained, that describe limits to what you can do based on injuries. If one pools is drained (normally Might is first to go, since most types of damage target Might), you become limited in what you can do, how fast you move etc. 2 pools down and all you can do is basically crawl slowly away. Special effects like poison can affect the damage track directly without draining a pool first.

NPCS just have a health stat.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Aug 2, 2013

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Am I comprehending this right that getting hit into face by hammer means that Glaives can only use abilities that don't cost any Might but Nanos can still fart around shooting fireballs at everything?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Puistokemisti posted:

Am I comprehending this right that getting hit into face by hammer means that Glaives can only use abilities that don't cost any Might but Nanos can still fart around shooting fireballs at everything?

Kinda, sorta? Glaives have higher base Might to account for this, and they start with a Might Edge of 1 (which basically means that all their tier 1 abilities are free to use). Even when the Might pool is drained, the first level of the damage track is just a 1 increase in difficulty (and some movement restrictions).

Not all damage is Might either. Quite a few Nano abilities go straight to intellect from what I can tell. Also Glaives can shoot fireballs just fine as well if you picked the right Focus, so they are not limited to only doing Might things in combat.

I should add that the distance system, while simple, works on the assumption that everyone is within reach of everyone, unless you take special action to keep your distance. A combat round is 5-10 seconds, and thus you can reach all ranges in a round if you want ('immediate' aka melee range is free, 'short range (3-15m)' requires you to spend an action to move, 'long range (15-30m)' also requires an action and may require a roll to see if you trip). Of course people can stunt their way out of battle placement and such, but it is generally quite hard to set up a tank to protect backliners. Also, hooray for Monte having converted all distances to metric as well as the usual feet/mile balooney. I finally have an idea of how far away stuff is or works without having to do head-math.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 2, 2013

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Ah Pook posted:

Here's a more detailed breakdown of the PE process (which is likely very similar to the TToN process) if it's of interest to you:

The only differences from '92 really are the polycount of the render and the AO pass.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Hey, quick question, have they sent out whatever it is they needed to send out for people to pick out what addons they wanted? I haven't been able to get online for awhile so I dunno if I missed that or not.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
No, they still havent't added that to the inXile page, I suppose they will send a mail to all the backers when it does become available. (Just received the new Numenera Rulebook and I already want my Torment source book to go along with it)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

GhostBoy posted:

Not all damage is Might either. Quite a few Nano abilities go straight to intellect from what I can tell. Also Glaives can shoot fireballs just fine as well if you picked the right Focus, so they are not limited to only doing Might things in combat.

Plus you can build Speed focused Glaives seemingly as well as you can Might focused ones. A Glaive could be anything from a grizzled lycanthrope to a unarmed warrior-philosopher who read minds. The classes themselves seem designed to be pretty vague (Glaives hit things, Nanos are magical, Jacks do a bit of both), with most of the character definition coming from the Descriptor and Focus. It's definitely not as simple as Glaives exclusively use Might, Nanos exclusively use Intellect and Jacks exclusively use Speed (though it looks like you could build it that way if you wanted to).

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Oasx posted:

One thing that has surprised me so far, is that it in many places has a Lovecraft/China Mieville feel, it is a science fiction setting played as fantasy, but there are a lot of weird/horror parts.
Yeah, this is definitely what intrigued me initially - it's this mix of cross genres (which is awesome).

BenRGamer posted:

Hey, quick question, have they sent out whatever it is they needed to send out for people to pick out what addons they wanted? I haven't been able to get online for awhile so I dunno if I missed that or not.
I've been waiting for this -forever- too. I need a t-shirt (right, I think that was an optional addon?).

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Having read through the rules in much more detail now, it definitely seems like they're going to have to be heavily rewritten for Torment. All the resource management mechanics that Ghostboy was talking about earlier will probably carry across fine, as will the character creation options (though I seem to remember inXile already saying they want to make new focuses), but rest of it just doesn't seem complex enough or is complex in a way that CRPGs just aren't generally good at.

Things like there being 3 types of weapon (heavy, medium and light) with set damage values for the class of weapon rather than the type of weapon seem like they would annoy the traditional CRPG gamer though. The whole XP system I could see being controversial too. I can't think of any other CRPGs where you would want to or even can expend XP for short or medium term benefit or to craft powerful items. Plus there's the fact that the game runs extremely strongly on GM fiat, with players being encouraged to think as outside the box as possible to find creative ways past obstacles, a system where the GM can intrude to change things in exchange for XP for the players and what's essentially a critical miss system (as I understand it, on any action that involves a roll, not just combat) when the player rolls a 1 where a failure leads to a appropriate complication as decided by the GM at the time. I guess that's a general problem of PnP RPG to CRPG conversions, but it seems like it would have more of an effect in something like this that's verging on being a storygame. Either way, critical miss mechanics for every action type in the game doesn't really seem like a feasible goal.

The setting seems great though, and reading the book has definitely made me more excited to play the game.

Noricae posted:

I've been waiting for this -forever- too. I need a t-shirt (right, I think that was an optional addon?).

I wouldn't necessarily expect it any time soon. The Obsidian kickstarter was almost a year ago now, and we still can't do any form of backer management for that. If anything, inXile are being incredibly organised.

Maledict
Jan 5, 2005

Ask me about being worldly
Since Torment: Numenara came into being, and is now has a life of its own - I figured any updates I post would be better suited here, since it was already received well in the Project: Eternity thread.

"The Proposition of Ravel Puzzlewell"

Opened the sketchbook last night on the train, and said, "gently caress it, why not?" Few hours later, that was the result.

Stuff I did in that vein previously:
http://imgur.com/a/5IkO4

Stuff that I'm about to start:

Now I can actually use Torment's most oft quoted catchphrase about journals for the updates.

(It's The Practical Incarnation's lost journal. The one you so desperately tried to find, but never do. Because The Paranoid Incarnation got his hands on it first.)

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

CottonWolf, honestly I think it's a good thing that most of the systems won't translate literally well. I think that's where a lot of CRPGs have issues - that is, systems that translate well enough but are still clunky/awkward/generally not optimized for being on a computer. I'm really excited for Numenera as the source because it provides such a strong base of setting, flavor, and class structure while giving Torment a lot of room to make mechanics that fit a video game.

Maledict, that's loving incredible. I can't express how jealous I am of that journal, and how much I'm regretting spending all that time playing video games as a child instead of learning how to do crafty things.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/07/torment-devs-on-progress-death-putting-story-first/ Was a great interview and read (Aug 7th).

"'We are starting with the assumption that our players want to read and think – both about their choices and to see the appropriate reactions to them" :)

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Chairchucker posted:

If the backers of Numenera are getting their PDFs, presumably the Torment backers who chipped in at the appropriate tier will be getting ours relatively soon as well.

I backed at the 250 dollar level and haven't seen or heard anything about Numenara books, PDF or hardcopy. Should I be getting in touch with InExile?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Rhandhali posted:

I backed at the 250 dollar level and haven't seen or heard anything about Numenara books, PDF or hardcopy. Should I be getting in touch with InExile?

I got my email for it from DriveThruRPG on the 3rd of this month so if you don't have anything from them you should email them yeah.

e: By them I mean inXile

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Rhandhali posted:

Note Torment tiers are digital OR hardcopy, not both. Digital backers get digital books, physical backers get physical books. Digital copies have been distributed, physical copies hit an unfortunate delay but should start arriving soon (see update here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah I Emailed the Numenera guys (There's some details in this update under Ebooks http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1433901524/numenera-a-new-roleplaying-game-from-monte-cook/posts/565949 ) and now I have all of my PDFs, oorah.

• Locked thread