Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

katium posted:

:unsmith:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/ohio-officials-ordered-to-recognize-gay-couples-marriage

Of course it will probably be appealed.

The story of their marriage is awesome. :3:

What a touching and bittersweet story. Glad that the decision came down while he was still around to see it. Brave guys, too. I don't know that I'd have it in me to handle all the crap involved in a test case lawsuit during that rough a time.

Of course, now I'm gonna get extra teeth-grindy when I next hear about "defending the sanctity of marriage" or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sweeney Tom posted:

Montgomery County has started issuing marriage licenses for same-sex couples, in defiance of Pennsylvania's ban on marriage equality.

Oh wow, how did I miss this. This owns, MontCo owns. Suck it Corbett :smug:

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eviltastic posted:

What a touching and bittersweet story. Glad that the decision came down while he was still around to see it. Brave guys, too. I don't know that I'd have it in me to handle all the crap involved in a test case lawsuit during that rough a time.

Of course, now I'm gonna get extra teeth-grindy when I next hear about "defending the sanctity of marriage" or whatever.

Considering how these guys came to MD (private jet modified for these specific medical needs) I assume that there's some serious money riding on this. Not that this is a bad thing-- if this is the kind of thing I'd have to do to protect my wife or partner while I was dying, I'd do it in second.

I'm sad that these kind of things need to be done to get people equality, but I'm incredibly glad that my state and my vote helped enable this couple (and hopefully a lot more if they win this court case) to get some equality.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I'm going to say this claim by the clerk isn't unreasonable:

quote:

Clerk Dronenburg also raises yet a third argument: He claims...that Judge Walker did not have even the authority to enjoin the four California state officials, including the DPH director and the registrar, because those officials do not have the specific authority under state law to direct the clerks to issue, or to deny, marriage licenses.
Consider that this claim could equally fly if circumstances were flipped, ie gay marriage was legal and the governor was ordering clerks not to recognize it.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

ShadowHawk posted:

I'm going to say this claim by the clerk isn't unreasonable:

Consider that this claim could equally fly if circumstances were flipped, ie gay marriage was legal and the governor was ordering clerks not to recognize it.

I'm always a little hesitant to comment on legal matters because it can get so technical, but this has to deal with a judge issuing a ruling on a legal matter and directing state officials to come into line with that ruling, not a state official taking it upon themselves to issue directives which go against the law. I can see the judge's order being flawed if there were a specific official he should have ordered to carry out his ruling which he mistakenly didn't address, but I suspect that there isn't any official explicitly invested with the authority the Clerk is contesting. In that case who is supposed to carry out the judges ruling?

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

Naturally the south will still be last, as always :negative:

http://www.wave3.com/story/22910746/first-federal-lawsuit-filed-challenging-ky-ban-on-same-sex-marriage

I'm not sure how this'll work, though, as KY has a constitutional amendment against SSM.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

http://www.wave3.com/story/22910746/first-federal-lawsuit-filed-challenging-ky-ban-on-same-sex-marriage

I'm not sure how this'll work, though, as KY has a constitutional amendment against SSM.

Doesn't matter; no state law, not even a constitutional amendment, can violate the Federal constitution. Remember, that was the whole point of the original Perry ruling in California.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Hasters posted:

Doesn't matter; no state law, not even a constitutional amendment, can violate the Federal constitution. Remember, that was the whole point of the original Perry ruling in California.

:hurr: Man, I don't know how I could have read Judge Walker's ruling in Perry and then said something like that.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Hasters posted:

Also, it was the point of the Supremacy clause, and of the Civil War.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

rypakal posted:

Also, it was the point of the Supremacy clause, and of the Civil War.

As demonstrated by the classic and oft-cited case of W. T. Sherman v. City and Environs of Atlanta.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
Picked up the petitions for the marriage referendum in Oregon! I am excited.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Only tangentially related to gay marriage, but since this seems to have become the catch-all thread for gay rights...

http://www.forwardprogressives.com/gay-men-in-louisiana-targeted-and-arrested-under-invalid-unconstitutional-anti-sodomy-law/

Apparently the Sheriff's Office has been setting up sting operations to catch men attempting to engage in consensual, not-for-pay gay sex in private residences and arresting them under the states still-on-the-books anti-sodomy laws despite the said laws being deemed unconstitutional a decade ago.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

hangedman1984 posted:

Apparently the Sheriff's Office has been setting up sting operations to catch men attempting to engage in consensual, not-for-pay gay sex in private residences and arresting them under the states still-on-the-books anti-sodomy laws despite the said laws being deemed unconstitutional a decade ago.

This is completely ridiculous. Wasn't this an episode of South Park?

E: Now I remember, that was actual prostitution. Which means Louisiana is being more ridiculous than actual satire. :golfclap:

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 29, 2013

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

hangedman1984 posted:

Only tangentially related to gay marriage, but since this seems to have become the catch-all thread for gay rights...

http://www.forwardprogressives.com/gay-men-in-louisiana-targeted-and-arrested-under-invalid-unconstitutional-anti-sodomy-law/

This is pretty much peak deep_south.txt.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

hangedman1984 posted:

Yeah the catch all thread is the actual fabgoons thread, they are discussing it now. We welcome our straight allies (at least I'm pretty sure we do :confused:)

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

We welcome our straight allies (at least I'm pretty sure we do :confused:)

I can't speak for everyone but having thread which is just LGBT goons makes it easier to open up than a thread which merely has a lot of LGBT goons among others, no matter how supportive. Stuff related to gay rights comes up but then there's also a lot of other stuff which isn't aimed at a wide audience like relationships or dealing with family.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I can't speak for everyone but having thread which is just LGBT goons makes it easier to open up than a thread which merely has a lot of LGBT goons among others, no matter how supportive. Stuff related to gay rights comes up but then there's also a lot of other stuff which isn't aimed at a wide audience like relationships or dealing with family.

Those are things straight people certainly could learn a lot from. But this thread has become more focused on all legal issues, marriage being the paramount one.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

rypakal posted:

Those are things straight people certainly could learn a lot from. But this thread has become more focused on all legal issues, marriage being the paramount one.

Try to understand that for a lot of people, they'd rather not have their personal lives serve as some sort of educational experience. It took me months to build up the courage to make a first post, and if it weren't people largely in the same boat as me, I probably never would. Some things simply can't be learned: A straight guy will never really know what it feels like to get butterflies in their stomach talking to a cute guy. It's not because they're intolerant or they need to learn; it's because they're straight and part of that means not having those sorts of feelings.

Sometimes I want to talk about that without caring about any political implications and I'd hope allies can understand it's nothing personal.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I figure this thread is more about general LGBT politics, including poo poo like those gorillas in LA, or stupid poo poo politicians say about gay people, as well as the dominant issue for the past few years, which is obviously marriage equality. The other thread is probably more just a 'being LGBT' thread. I think that's a good divide.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Sometimes I want to talk about that without caring about any political implications and I'd hope allies can understand it's nothing personal.

I'm a straight woman and I definitely get the need for LGBTs to talk amongst LGBTs.

Content:
So, uh, apparently Pat Robertson kinda sorta accepts transgender people?

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2013/07/29/2374611/televangelist-pat-robertson-affirms-transgender-identities/

He admits he doesn't "understand" the idea fully, but apparently they're not going to hell for transitioning.

He's still a shitbag, don't get me wrong, but broken clock twice a day and all that.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

That doesn't even seem possible. I know one doesn't really necessarily follow the other, but I would have assumed that anyone that is cool with the whole trans thing would have to also be the sort of person who is cool with the whole gay thing. I guess it takes all kinds.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I don't want to start white-knighting people like Robertson but I think their idea is transsexuals aren't homosexuals, they're just mis-identified, or whatever, so if, say, you're MTF, now you have a vagina so therefore you're not homosexual when you're doing it with a guy. I guess?

I mean, it's still icky. But at least the dicks aren't touching.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Re: Montgomery Co. PA

I always wondered what would happen if a county or city somewhere suddenly realized they could just tell the state legislature to go gently caress themselves, and start issuing licenses. What's the state house going to do, draw attention to it in the media and make themselves look like shitheads enforcing an unpopular law? Take administrative action and hope nobody notices they're spending time and effort to enforce an unpopular law?

Good on Montgomery. Suck it, Pennsyltucky.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
On the other hand I'm not sure having local officials just decide not to enforce state laws is a good thing big picture.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Evil Sagan posted:

That doesn't even seem possible. I know one doesn't really necessarily follow the other, but I would have assumed that anyone that is cool with the whole trans thing would have to also be the sort of person who is cool with the whole gay thing. I guess it takes all kinds.

This is actually somewhat common, surprisingly. Iran theoretically has the death penalty for (male) homosexual activity, but both the clerics and government support (MtF) sex reassignment surgery.

I think it's just that people with a very strong concept of gender roles can understand switching genders more readily than breaking the roles.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

mdemone posted:

I always wondered what would happen if a county or city somewhere suddenly realized they could just tell the state legislature to go gently caress themselves, and start issuing licenses. What's the state house going to do, draw attention to it in the media and make themselves look like shitheads enforcing an unpopular law? Take administrative action and hope nobody notices they're spending time and effort to enforce an unpopular law?

Good on Montgomery. Suck it, Pennsyltucky.

Asbury Park, NJ (big gay spot on the shore) did this in 2004 and issued a bunch of licenses to gay couples. The state, which had a Democratic governor (McGreevey :ironicat:) and Legislature at the time, sat on it and it just kind of faded from the public consciousness after that. I think McGreevey resigned not long after that so that blasted that story out of the water. And this was in 2004 which, in the world of marriage equality, feels like decades ago. If there wasn't the override effort and courts moves going on, I could see similar moves across the state as a way to put the screws to Christie, since the Democrats really don't have much else to go on against Christie's appeal.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There's also the fact that even if the marriage license get issued by the one jurisdiction, they may not be honored by any other jurisdiction. Say a gay couple gets married in Norristown under this - will the PA state tax agency allow them to file jointly like a straight married couple for their taxes? Will the federal IRS allow it either? One of them goes to a hospital that requires you to be married to have visiting rights, but it's in a different county - can they still do it?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

On the other hand I'm not sure having local officials just decide not to enforce state laws is a good thing big picture.
It's not great procedurally, but there's no blowback on marriage at this point, and I think a judge would order a quick injunction for any legitimate policy being ignored.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

mdemone posted:

I always wondered what would happen if a county or city somewhere suddenly realized they could just tell the state legislature to go gently caress themselves, and start issuing licenses. What's the state house going to do, draw attention to it in the media and make themselves look like shitheads enforcing an unpopular law?

Isn't this what places in the South did in the 60s, with a bunch of the civil rights laws and court rulings?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Evil Sagan posted:

I would have assumed that anyone that is cool with the whole trans thing would have to also be the sort of person who is cool with the whole gay thing.
I've known trans* people, like personally known them, who have been told by other trans* people that they're not really trans if they're attracted to their identified sex (like, that a lesbian MtF isn't actually trans), and who have been told by gay members of their identified sex that they "don't really count" as a man/woman, as if they switched sex just because they really wanted to shag that gay guy/lesbian woman that wouldn't take them when they were the opposite sex. No surprise, then, that someone outside the LGBT community could have that disconnect (and, like api call girl didn't quite say, a metric fuckton of people assume that all trans* people are straight).

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
The Mexican state of Colima, with roughly 650,000, has legalized civil unions.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I've known trans* people, like personally known them, who have been told by other trans* people that they're not really trans if they're attracted to their identified sex (like, that a lesbian MtF isn't actually trans), and who have been told by gay members of their identified sex that they "don't really count" as a man/woman, as if they switched sex just because they really wanted to shag that gay guy/lesbian woman that wouldn't take them when they were the opposite sex. No surprise, then, that someone outside the LGBT community could have that disconnect (and, like api call girl didn't quite say, a metric fuckton of people assume that all trans* people are straight).

That's insane. I can hardly believe that a community that preaches open mindedness and acceptance of others would utterly shut people down like that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That's insane. I can hardly believe that a community that preaches open mindedness and acceptance of others would utterly shut people down like that.

No, 'the community' doesn't, some very stupid people do. Just like 'the black community' doesn't smoke crack and rob people.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Tatum Girlparts posted:

No, 'the community' doesn't, some very stupid people do. Just like 'the black community' doesn't smoke crack and rob people.

"A community" as in a group of people. Not the LGBT group in all, just a crazy section. In the same way the Tea Party is not all Republicans.

Bad phrasing, I guess.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Yeah, I've heard trans people get thrown under the bus a lot by other LGBT people. Bisexuals, too; I met a gay guy a few years ago who was convinced that "bisexuals don't exist."

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
E. holy crap phone posting!

Amarkov posted:

This is actually somewhat common, surprisingly. Iran theoretically has the death penalty for (male) homosexual activity, but both the clerics and government support (MtF) sex reassignment surgery.

I think it's just that people with a very strong concept of gender roles can understand switching genders more readily than breaking the roles.

That, and a lot of people of that generation don't understand the difference between trans and intersex. They might not understand someone with a normal body choosing to change genders but they do understand someone with a birth defect choosing to have it corrected. At least that's how my mother explained a MtF acquaintance of hers to me.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Being oppressed and just generally shat upon doesn't necessarily make a person kinder and more tolerant of others, sadly.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Some things simply can't be learned: A straight guy will never really know what it feels like to get butterflies in their stomach talking to a cute guy. It's not because they're intolerant or they need to learn; it's because they're straight and part of that means not having those sorts of feelings.

Okay I completely agree with your wider point, but I have to ask: Are you seriously implying that straight men don't get nervous talking to people they are attracted to?

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

paragon1 posted:

Okay I completely agree with your wider point, but I have to ask: Are you seriously implying that straight men don't get nervous talking to people they are attracted to?

Um, the nervousness can be pretty different. When you talk to somebody you're attracted to and are straight, there's a pretty good chance that they're straight, too.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

paragon1 posted:

Are you seriously implying that straight men don't get nervous talking to people they are attracted to?

There's a whole swack of extra issues that you get to deal with in the moment when the person you're attracted to is the same gender as you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

paragon1 posted:

Are you seriously implying that straight men don't get nervous talking to people they are attracted to?

Not to speak for Turkey here, but I think part of it is that straight people often literally have no idea what it feels like to not only have the nervous feeling from attraction, but also the issue of "holy crap what if he's straight". I can honestly say that I have been rebuffed far more politely by women who I didn't know beforehand were lesbians than most gay guys get by straight guys. I mean, when the difference can be as pronounced as "sorry, sweetie, I'm flattered, but I'm not into men" versus "HOLY poo poo YOU loving human being YOU'VE BEEN TALKING TO ME JUST TO TRY TO GET INTO MY PANTS GET AWAY FROM ME YOU FREAK HEY EVERYBODY THIS GUY IS GAY AND IS TRYING TO gently caress ME", there's definitely a huge divide that most straight people simply don't get. I got disabused of the "what's the worst he can do, say no?" delusion after a friend of mine told me about being punched by a straight guy he chatted up. In a gay bar.

• Locked thread