Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't know that that's a fair comparison because Von Trier's TV show, The Kingdom, is funny as hell.

Yeah, I recall an ominous scene where the old crazy doctor examines his BM. And then he travels to Haiti to learn voodoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

casa de mi padre posted:

True Blood is extremely well titten.

Yeah, extremely well written is a stretch even if it improves on the unreadable source material, but if you like the nude torsos of gorgeous young women, HBO has the show for you.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

foodfight posted:

I would say Tony Wonder's apartment qualified everything for me.

Same.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The much acclaimed original Danish version of The Killing is on UK Netflix, you guys should watch that instead of the bad US version. If you are in the US there are various browser plugins and things you can use to access other country's Netflixes.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

casa de mi padre posted:

Angel is never good.

All I remember of Angel is the episode with the evil Muppets. Which, according to my memory, was only worthwhile for the scene where the muppetified main character beats the poo poo out of Spike for laughing at him and Spike is laughing too hard to fight back.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

True Blood is extremely well written.

It's cool if you like trashy vampire erotica but at least be willing to recognize it for what it is. I like lots of schlocky crap but I don't try to pretend it has quality that it doesn't.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It's cool if you like trashy vampire erotica but at least be willing to recognize it for what it is. I like lots of schlocky crap but I don't try to pretend it has quality that it doesn't.

Who says trashy vampire erotica can't be well written? Surely you're familiar with the novel Interview With a Vampire?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I am halfway through Orange is the New Black and I really like it. Especially because of the strange mishmash cast that features:

Not one but two cast members of American Pie
Captain Janeway
The redhead from That '70s Show
Nick Sobotka from The Wire
The voice of Patti Mayonnaise from Doug

I don't want to sell it short though, it's pretty good.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
My thoughts on Buffy/Angel, having watched both all the way through a couple of times:

Buffy starts off rather weak in season 1 due to the show going through some episodic world-building, but it rarely becomes outright unwatchable. Seasons 2 and 3 get better, mostly on the strengths of the respective main villains and the writing getting better. (Also Seth Green.) Season 4 takes a dip in quality due to reasons that will become extremely apparent by a few episodes in, though it does have a couple of my favorite episodes of the series (most notably the "Jonathan becomes a superhero" episode). Season 5 is a glorious return to form, and 6 and 7 are excellent follow-ups, even if 7 goes off the rails a bit toward the end.

Angel, by contrast, just keeps getting better as it progresses. The first season is rather rocky, not only because it's very episodic, but also because they try some interaction with the concurrent season of Buffy that doesn't work all that well. Also Cordelia is loving annoying and remains so until season 2. Once they re-introduce Darla in season 2 and the main overarching plot gets moving, however, it's all gravy. David Boreanaz is a more than talented enough actor to hold his own as the main character, and once they give Alexis Denisof more to do than comic relief and introduce Fred and Lorne(sp?) the supporting cast lineup becomes my favorite in any show ever. (Also the puppet episode is loving fantastic.)

Overall, both shows are well worth your time, even if they do tend to be a bit inconsistent. But what multi-season basic cable TV show isn't?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

scary ghost dog posted:

Who says trashy vampire erotica can't be well written? Surely you're familiar with the novel Interview With a Vampire?

Exactly, and as much as I dislike later Anne Rice, I have to admit that was a pretty good novel and was definitely better written than a lot of things goons like...

True Blood, for what it is, is pretty brilliant, especially this season.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Devil Wears Wings posted:

My thoughts on Buffy/Angel, having watched both all the way through a couple of times:

Buffy starts off rather weak in season 1 due to the show going through some episodic world-building, but it rarely becomes outright unwatchable. Seasons 2 and 3 get better, mostly on the strengths of the respective main villains and the writing getting better. (Also Seth Green.) Season 4 takes a dip in quality due to reasons that will become extremely apparent by a few episodes in, though it does have a couple of my favorite episodes of the series (most notably the "Jonathan becomes a superhero" episode). Season 5 is a glorious return to form, and 6 and 7 are excellent follow-ups, even if 7 goes off the rails a bit toward the end.

Angel, by contrast, just keeps getting better as it progresses. The first season is rather rocky, not only because it's very episodic, but also because they try some interaction with the concurrent season of Buffy that doesn't work all that well. Also Cordelia is loving annoying and remains so until season 2. Once they re-introduce Darla in season 2 and the main overarching plot gets moving, however, it's all gravy. David Boreanaz is a more than talented enough actor to hold his own as the main character, and once they give Alexis Denisof more to do than comic relief and introduce Fred and Lorne(sp?) the supporting cast lineup becomes my favorite in any show ever. (Also the puppet episode is loving fantastic.)

Overall, both shows are well worth your time, even if they do tend to be a bit inconsistent. But what multi-season basic cable TV show isn't?

I'm luke warm on Angel as a whole, but when the show got canceled they pulled together the tightest, most satisfying series finale I can think of. Every character gets a great send off.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

It's trashy vampire erotica, but for the most part it's well-written when the writers remember what to do with their characters. Occasionally you get bad, meandering poo poo like anything to do with shifters or werewolves, but when they focus on tits and blood and vampires it's actually pretty smartly written.

I'm entertained by True Blood in the way the writers intended, and my enjoyment doesn't come from how much I hate it but how much I'm engrossed by it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The excellent concert doc Shut up and play the hits is now on Netflix. It's about LCD soundsystems last show at the Madison square garden, and it's pretty good. I was actually at the show and it was so much fun and the doc is worth a shot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PonchAxis posted:

The excellent concert doc Shut up and play the hits is now on Netflix. It's about LCD soundsystems last show at the Madison square garden, and it's pretty good. I was actually at the show and it was so much fun and the doc is worth a shot.

Just watched this last night and holy poo poo it's loving good. They really played the gently caress out of those songs and I am so jealous I wasn't there.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Zwabu posted:

I really like how British shows of this type like "Prime Suspect" or "Luther" don't have any qualms about having a miniseries type run and resolving a crime or storyline in 3 or 5 longish episodes. I wish this type of format would happen more in American TV but I suppose once you got a hit you gotta ride that cash cow all the way until you get down to Shitsville.

The miniseries and even made-for-TV movie of the week format seemed to die in the US, though, around the 90s for broadcast television. Personally, I'd love to have it back if only to force and permit some variety, take a chance on a fringe project that may or may not have a following, etc.

I know they're still out there and being made, but they seem so few, far between and underpromoted compared to years past.

I think about the only time a miniseries happens anymore is if Stephen King's name is attached.

Also, I think we have a distinct lack of anthology-style shows, too. I sort of like watching things like Ray Bradbury Presents and Twilight Zone where the whole story is pretty much contained in a single 30-60 minute story that even if you don't like a single thing about it, next week will be something totally different.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

I feel like this is basically the same with Game of Thrones. Like, I love it because it's clearly genre schlock and I'm into that poo poo* but let's call it what it is, guys. Neither show is on Netflix though, so this is kind of a tangent.

*Can't wait until they get to that part in the book where the evil viking captain gets the fantasy equivalent of a bionic arm :allears:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

casa de mi padre posted:

I feel like the American House of Cards is less interesting than the British one solely because Kevin Spacey just isn't evil enough. Don't worry, he does some evil stuff, but he doesn't revel in it like the protagonist in the British series. Maybe he'll get more overtly evil in future seasons.

I just want one show where the protagonist is a complete bastard and the show doesn't try to make you feel guilty for cheering for him.

I just finished the British House of Cards, and I don't really agree with the idea that the show lets you revel in Urquhart's bastardhood. The show very explicitly implores you to question cheering for Urquhart through some of his monologues, and the overall trilogy is structured so that you come to anticipate the moment he comes undone. And since he has actual political convictions (Underwood explicitly does not), it's harder to accept him as a force of mischief and disruption.

On top of that, Urquhart has a much easier time. The very nature of each country's political system forces Underwood to take a much more convoluted ascent to power than Urquhart. Urquhart's Prime Minister in four episodes. After that, he's just the authourity figure fending off threats, instead of playing the conniving underdog. The latter role is easier to root for.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

I feel like this is basically the same with Game of Thrones. Like, I love it because it's clearly genre schlock and I'm into that poo poo* but let's call it what it is, guys. Neither show is on Netflix though, so this is kind of a tangent.

*Can't wait until they get to that part in the book where the evil viking captain gets the fantasy equivalent of a bionic arm :allears:

It swings both ways too. I can't stand Aaron Sorkin's style, but I wouldn't hesitate to call The West Wing extremely well-written. Something can be great and not appeal to you at all, and something can be terrible dogshit and suit your tastes perfectly.

Speaking of, I've been burning through CSI:NY that got put up recently. It has this reputation as the lamest of the franchise, but I like it way more than the other two. It's not as hokie as Miami and the characters are way more compelling than the original. Also Gary Sinise is the poo poo and rules as a hard rear end detective.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Just watched The Bay, I thought it was pretty awful and I usually like horror movies. It of been a bit better if they'd avoided CGI but I can't really take spooky environmental disaster film seriously when the parasite things look cheesier than the slugs from Slither.

I guess the scary bit is the fear of infection and dying, but the characters were all so drat boring and the jumps between different 'found footage' was annoying. Do I want to see low quality texts and skype chat? :confused: I don't know why you'd bother trying to make it feel real like that when your concept is literally chicken poo making sea parasites grow super quick and turn EVIL.

I might just be too desensitised to horror but at least stuff like the first V/H/S had some humour and if you didn't care for the characters it didn't matter as they weren't going to last long. I know they aren't that comparable but The Bay felt like an anthology horror at times.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 1, 2013

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Hope this isn't off-topic but I noticed RedBox finally launched their streaming/physical rental service. Has anyone tried this out yet? The stuff available for streaming seems like the same standard fare that's already on Netflix and Amazon Prime, but without all the tv series. It looks like they're doing instant-rental streaming for movies that aren't included in the subscription, and you get credits to get the discs at kiosks. I'm eager for some competition to at least get Netflix to include blu-rays in the disc service without an additional charge, but given the amount of unpopular/old/foreign movies I watch I doubt I can ever get rid of Netflix's disc service.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
After not having turned my TV on in something like three years, I just bought a Roku 3 and a Netflix subscription to go with my Amazon prime one. I had never seen an episode of Battlestar Galactica or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia before so I just started things off with those from the suggested list and man :lsd:. Netflix seems really great about suggesting content based off of my likes but this thread is going to be a great way of really getting some value out of this.

vvv :hfive:

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 1, 2013

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Incredulous Dylan posted:

After not having turned my TV on in something like three years, I just bought a Roku 3 and a Netflix subscription to go with my Amazon prime one. I had never seen an episode of Battlestar Galactica or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia before so I just started things off with those from the suggested list and man :lsd:. Netflix seems really great about suggesting content based off of my likes but this thread is going to be a great way of really getting some value out of this.

Welcome to the family! :hfive:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Supercar Gautier posted:

I just finished the British House of Cards, and I don't really agree with the idea that the show lets you revel in Urquhart's bastardhood. The show very explicitly implores you to question cheering for Urquhart through some of his monologues, and the overall trilogy is structured so that you come to anticipate the moment he comes undone. And since he has actual political convictions (Underwood explicitly does not), it's harder to accept him as a force of mischief and disruption.

I preferred the American version precisely because Frank Underwood is more "likable" (well, much less after he straight up murders a dude).

I think I just have a mancrush on Kevin Spacey. Dude is seriously mesmerizing. The film version of The Big Kahuna is loving phenomenal.

Emden
Oct 5, 2012

by angerbeet
I finally got around to watching some classic westerns. More specifically, Shane and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence (my first John Wayne movie). Both were really, really good. Shane reminded me of Unforgiven and High Plains Drifter in theme, tone, and in main character. Every main character in these movies seems more like a force of nature than an actual person. Any way, both of these films are up on streaming and you should watch them, pilgrim.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
its like Netflix has answered my prayers:
http://blog.netflix.com/2013/08/make-netflix-your-own-with-profiles.html

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah in pretty excited about "top ten for FishBulb" not being Busytown mysteries, my little pony and 8 bad 80s cartoons.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

loving finally! It's baffling as to why this wasn't an option from the start.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I got an email saying that Fringe season 5 is up. It's the only one I haven't seen so that's cool.

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010
I've never been big on idioms, but jumpin' jesus christ on a cracker, they added Event Horizon, Season 5 Fringe, and Season 2 Alphas. This is like Christmas! (for me) Weird though, http://instantwatcher.com/titles/new?view=synopsis&popups=1&infinite=0 doesn't show them but I got the emails from Netflix and checked manually for them and they're there.

edit- God drat you! ^^^^

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It was all over when they added Antiques Roadshow.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Cleatcleat posted:

I've never been big on idioms, but jumpin' jesus christ on a cracker, they added Event Horizon, Season 5 Fringe, and Season 2 Alphas. This is like Christmas! (for me) Weird though, http://instantwatcher.com/titles/new?view=synopsis&popups=1&infinite=0 doesn't show them but I got the emails from Netflix and checked manually for them and they're there.

edit- God drat you! ^^^^

Sweet season 2 of Alphas. I really enjoyed the first season so can't wait to watch this one. And definitely can not wait for the profiles to come to my setup, will be nice to my stuff separate from the girlfriend's stuff.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

drat, it seems like it's not on web browsers yet. At least not on my account.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Season 5 of Fringe is hot garbage. Boiling hot steamy compost.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah - I had missed out on the second half of season four and sort of forgot where I was. Screw it, might as well jump to the next season and see what the intro explains right? :stare:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Hell yeah, the original Piranha is up. As silly as it is, I love it so much for the absolutely brutal ending.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Oh hey The Baby (1973) is up. Take a bit of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?, add color, and make it more bizarre and disturbing, and you'll sort of have an idea.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

FishBulb posted:

Yeah in pretty excited about "top ten for FishBulb" not being Busytown mysteries, my little pony and 8 bad 80s cartoons.

It is, however, still likely to be ~3 star anticipated-rating poo poo, however.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They also added Titanic, Zodiac, The Prince of Egypt, Waking Ned Devine, Fritz Lang's You Only Live Once, Luis Bunuel's Tristana, and Munchie.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

They also added Titanic, Zodiac, The Prince of Egypt, Waking Ned Devine, Fritz Lang's You Only Live Once, Luis Bunuel's Tristana, and Munchie.

Prince of Egypt is loving sweet as poo poo by the way, a real stellar retelling of Exodus with some rad rear end music. Czech it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

User-Friendly posted:

It is, however, still likely to be ~3 star anticipated-rating poo poo, however.

When I used to have a kung fu and Asian gunshoty action movie only DVD profile my recommendations were relatively accurate!

• Locked thread