Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I'll give that a try and yeah I just screwed in the wires with no solder. It's happening to both my PS360+s when XBOX Live for the PC installed it's poo poo for Street Fighter.

I tried it when it was in it's bizarro XBOX 360 mode and it popped up a really strange Steam game selection window I've never seen before. I didn't get any notification when I replugged them in when they swapped back to PS360S+. Will there be a menu popup or is it just a 'switch'?

Like it's not even a major problem but I'm trying to setup the authentic look and is a bit annoying needing to reconnect both USBs every time the system is restarted. I still need to setup an Autokey script to get past needing to spacebar through the Windows LIVE Bullshit of Street Fighter before loading in the saved joystick controls.

The game selection screen is Steam Big Picture mode, it's meant for people who have their PC hooked up to a large TV screen so they can navigate around using just a controller, instead of a keyboard and mouse.

That's really weird though, I use it on mine for SSFIVAE on Steam and don't have the same issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

apple posted:

There's probably no explicit mechanic needed to handle this situation, it may very well be just an implicit feature of button holds repeating inputs for a few frames (I could be wrong, it's just what I've been able to infer from playing P4A). I was just mentioning an example where you don't necessarily use the button hold solely for doing actions immediately after recovering from something. In this case I'd imagine the P4A engine inspects how long it took you from the special move motion to the C+D required to complete it and determine if you did it fast enough. I forgot to add you do this while jumping, there's a couple of things going on as a whole so I'll summarize it below:

1. Perform special move motion in the air (214 for example)
2. Input A+C and hold it, this turns around the character in the air, leaving you vulnerable for only 4 frames total vs entire throw animations which is undesirable. At this point the special move hasn't come out yet.
3. Immediately go into D. You're still performing an air turn, the game registers the EX move since you were holding A+C. A+C+D is actually burst, but since you're doing an air turn the game doesn't allow you to burst. You can't burst unless you're cancelling off a hit, in a neutral state, waking up or being hit yourself.

A more simple example is how you can make bursts easier by doing D~A+C while holding D (at least with Shadow Labrys). Pressing C first accidentally would do a persona attack which locks out burst temporarily until my persona is done with the move. If I do D~A+C, D is the command to make my persona block, which doesn't lock out my burst and keeps him from doing any other move as long as I keep holding it. In fact, I could be doing something like:

code:
t0: .................,[D]
t1: ...........,[D],[C+D]
t2: ...,[D],[C+D],[A+C+D]
And this would give me a burst. As long as you transition quickly enough (1F?), the potential throw action from t1 is cancelled out by the burst input in t2. Ideally you would always do D~A+C or just A+C+D, but human error etc. This minimizes room for messing up, since starting with A or C you can potentially get a jab or persona attack locking out your burst attempt. In that time chart, if t0 was A or C then burst shouldn't register in t2.

Sorry for taking a while to respond but I wanted to read the new posts properly after work. Thanks for clarifying all that for me. I haven't played P4A but I'm very interested in how the different kinds of inputs work in different FGs. Also thanks to everyone else who answered my questions :)

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ok am I just having a bad reaction or is SC5 slow as poo poo and unplayable online due to lag? Everything is so slow, moves have too much loving animation and all the extra poo poo they've added on doesn't add anything at all. I've had more fun playing 2 on PCX2.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

RBX posted:

Ok am I just having a bad reaction or is SC5 slow as poo poo and unplayable online due to lag? Everything is so slow, moves have too much loving animation and all the extra poo poo they've added on doesn't add anything at all. I've had more fun playing 2 on PCX2.

Congratulations, you found out the secret! People were hailing SC5 as having amazing netcode, but it turns out it just has lovely netcode and the game is so slow that most players never noticed. Blazblue pulls a similar trick, but some of the slowness is replaced by the ability to press a button at the wrong time and still get the same combos.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

On TTT2 I get one bars in player matches and 5 in ranked. In this there's only player matches at this point and everything is 1 bar (Some even have 0) so I have no idea what the gently caress. Im trying to play and I literally can't do poo poo without an extra move coming out I didn't want because the game is so laggy and behind.

Speaking of Blazblue, I got CSE today too and it's much better online and the connection bars apparently work for once. Though it was pretty dead when I was just on. I like it even though a lvl 69 Hazmama was kicking my rear end though I took him to the wire most rounds. Its funny when people assume you're completely new to fighting games just because you're new to that specific game.

This is all on PS3 btw.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

RBX posted:

I don't see much of a problem with the animations. The combos can be a bit slow though since they're mostly counter/stun based and there's no cancelling to speak of.

The online's pretty good in Japan and when it's well populated though. If you're having lag problems, it's probably your/their internet, not the game's netcode.

EDIT: Well yeah, player matches were always quite hit and miss. You're probably trying to play people based on the other side of the planet.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 31, 2013

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

RBX posted:

On TTT2 I get one bars in player matches and 5 in ranked. In this there's only player matches at this point and everything is 1 bar (Some even have 0) so I have no idea what the gently caress. Im trying to play and I literally can't do poo poo without an extra move coming out I didn't want because the game is so laggy and behind.

There are some Tekken ps3 goons who are dying to play people, hit up the Tekken thread, they've put their GTs up (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3492311)

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

DiscoJ posted:

The online's pretty good in Japan and when it's well populated though. If you're having lag problems, it's probably your/their internet, not the game's netcode.

Online is ALWAYS good in Japan cause it's so small.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just got Aquapazza and smashed buttons for a little bit. It seems like it should be pretty fun! Its got assist characters, a 'mood' system that rewards/penalizes depending on if youre offensive or overly defensive, and of course a clumsy maid schoolgirl robot.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I'm going to sound like a old and confused man here, but should I accept random friend requests while playing fighting games? I received one from some guy I played once. I'm pretty much a newbie, the match wasn't great, he was better than me. It seemed weird to receive the request, but what harm would there be in accepting it (on the PS3)? At the worst, I can unfriend him. I don't know if it's common in the FGC to receive requests from people looking for players with good connections or something, or maybe I was a better match-up for him than I thought.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

that Vai sound posted:

I'm going to sound like a old and confused man here, but should I accept random friend requests while playing fighting games? I received one from some guy I played once. I'm pretty much a newbie, the match wasn't great, he was better than me. It seemed weird to receive the request, but what harm would there be in accepting it (on the PS3)? At the worst, I can unfriend him. I don't know if it's common in the FGC to receive requests from people looking for players with good connections or something, or maybe I was a better match-up for him than I thought.

The worst thing thatll happen is youll never play together and one of you will just unfriend the other. Best case though, youll be invited when he loads his room with friends and youll get a good group to play with.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

that Vai sound posted:

It sounds like he enjoyed playing you and he'd like to play you more? You can accept these kinds of friend requests or not as you like, I'm not sure why this is a dilemma for you :confused:

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Ashenai posted:

It sounds like he enjoyed playing you and he'd like to play you more? You can accept these kinds of friend requests or not as you like, I'm not sure why this is a dilemma for you :confused:
I guess the confusion was from not understanding the PS3 network. I wasn't sure if was going to hack into my trophies and post indecent pictures to my Facebook or something. That's an exaggeration, but the frame of mind I was approaching it from.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Gutcruncher posted:

I just got Aquapazza and smashed buttons for a little bit. It seems like it should be pretty fun! Its got assist characters, a 'mood' system that rewards/penalizes depending on if youre offensive or overly defensive, and of course a clumsy maid schoolgirl robot.

If you like AquaPazza, try Vanguard Princess (mizuumi has a page on it). Personally I think it's more fun than AP, and it also doesn't have Chizuru...

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Gutcruncher posted:

drat, someone else with this game. If my PS3 hadn't just died I'd love to try playing online with you, I haven't actually given the netcode a try yet.

interrodactyl posted:

and it also doesn't have Chizuru...

I'm so blessed that in my small group of folks we've got playing this game, there is only 1 Chizuru player and he is terrible.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Looks like Skullgirls is up on Steam for pre-order.

Anybody interested in going in on a 4-pack?

Edit: Sold!

4-Pack

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 1, 2013

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Illuminado posted:

I'm up for saving £4.50.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
My TV is playing up so I can't check - what's the PSN price for Skullgirls?

edit: in the UK, specifically.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 1, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Illuminado posted:

Edit for Slots:

4-Pack

You'll probably get more response in the skullgirls thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3458689

Sorry if you knew about that already. I backed already so I'll pass on the preorder.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Illuminado posted:

Edit for Slots:

4-Pack

Threw myself in.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Jeffrey posted:

You'll probably get more response in the skullgirls thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3458689

Sorry if you knew about that already. I backed already so I'll pass on the preorder.

Ha, I did not but I'll post in there. Thanks.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Illuminado posted:

Edit for Slots:

4-Pack

Sure, why not.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Yatagarasu's indiegogo campaign is over in 10 days, and they need $19k more to meet their funding.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/yatagarasu-attack-on-cataclysm/x/4221524

I don't think they'll meet their stretch goal for GGPO :(

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Yatagarasu's indiegogo campaign is over in 10 days, and they need $19k more to meet their funding.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/yatagarasu-attack-on-cataclysm/x/4221524

I don't think they'll meet their stretch goal for GGPO :(

Yeah I'm so glad they allocated that 4000 to getting WACKY ANNOUNCERS instead of ggpo. How much poo poo do kickstarter runners get in if they change what they implement?

EDIT:
Looking again, I guess there are other necessary costs like backer rewards and paying indiegogo. We might not see both new characters.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 2, 2013

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

I'm up for a 4 pack of skullgirls, if anyone has a slot.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If anyone here still hasn't gotten bored of Tekken Revolution, there's a special event from Friday to Sunday where you can beat up Mokujins for easy points.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh poo poo, here we go. A bunch of ASW news dropped last night, so have at it.

-GGXXAC+R is finally dropping this month on PSN! It'll be a free patch, but 360 users are going to have to wait a while longer, it seems.

-The Xrd Loctest that's gonna run from August 9th to the 12th is apparently going to have seven characters playable, with movelists currently available for Sol, Ky, and Millia.

-There's also a general system mechanics page here, and it looks like most mechanics are returning. One button throws, (F)RCs, and what looks like a new clash mechanic thing that I don't know anything about because I can't read Japanese.

Goddamn this is gonna be a good month.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

S-Alpha posted:

-GGXXAC+R is finally dropping this month on PSN! It'll be a free patch, but 360 users are going to have to wait a while longer, it seems.

-The Xrd Loctest that's gonna run from August 9th to the 12th is apparently going to have seven characters playable, with movelists currently available for Sol, Ky, and Millia.

-There's also a general system mechanics page here, and it looks like most mechanics are returning. One button throws, (F)RCs, and what looks like a new clash mechanic thing that I don't know anything about because I can't read Japanese.

I hate how Japanese sites so often use images for the text, so I can't just highlight it and whack it into Google Translate.

As for the clash system, I half got the impression from the launch video that some clash moves will force you and the opponent further apart, kind of like throw techs.

edit: So Ky's fireballs are back to old GG style of 236HS being the charged Stun Edge. 236D is now a move called "Split Seal"?
(something)D or j.D or something about Split Seal is called "Grinder something".

I swear I should just get my Japanese dictionary out and look some of this poo poo up.

Also, something about Grinder Something and Sacred Edge at the bottom is called "Durandle Roll"?

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 2, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

I hate how Japanese sites so often use images for the text, so I can't just highlight it and whack it into Google Translate.

As for the clash system, I half got the impression from the launch video that some clash moves will force you and the opponent further apart, kind of like throw techs.

Yeah, that's what keeps me from getting better info, which sucks. Just going off the images themselves, it looks like there are multiple types of clashing, depending on what moves clash. The first image has two light moves clashing, which seems to be pretty similar to how it used to be, but the second image has Sol knocking Ky back, so maybe they have a thing going on where if you clash with a lighter move, they'll be knocked back farther/stunned a bit? The third clash image is the most confusing though, I have no idea what that warning is supposed to mean.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

S-Alpha posted:

Yeah, that's what keeps me from getting better info, which sucks. Just going off the images themselves, it looks like there are multiple types of clashing, depending on what moves clash. The first image has two light moves clashing, which seems to be pretty similar to how it used to be, but the second image has Sol knocking Ky back, so maybe they have a thing going on where if you clash with a lighter move, they'll be knocked back farther/stunned a bit? The third clash image is the most confusing though, I have no idea what that warning is supposed to mean.
The katakana above the third image says "Danger Time". I can pick out the phrase "Super Counter" in the text above, so I wonder if maybe you can get a free super move out of Danger Time?
Also, in the main text above the clashing pictures is something about "pattern of 3 times" - I wonder if that's a Skullgirls time infinite protection, where if a pattern of moves occurs 3 times it'll break/clash?

Dash-cancellable Dust seems cool, I suppose that's the replacement for Impossible Dust combos?

Kp
Aug 3, 2002

Lets drill
There's a thread on dustloop where they're translating the pages on the website ( http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?16395-Xrd-News-%28Theoretical%29-Gameplay-Discussion/page163&p=1525207&viewfull=1#post1525207 ). So far, they haven't translated the system info page but it looks like they're keeping a lot of Guilty Gear's system intact while adding a couple new mechanics (new FRC system?). I can't wait for this game to come out.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Instant Kills are still in there it seems, though the information is something along the lines of "Please look at the character command list"

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

S-Alpha posted:

I am fist pumping like hell.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Also, in the main text above the clashing pictures is something about "pattern of 3 times" - I wonder if that's a Skullgirls time infinite protection, where if a pattern of moves occurs 3 times it'll break/clash?

Isn't it more likely that if you clash three times in a row something bad happens to one of you? Shoutouts to Narukami Yu. RIP clash exhibitions

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

Looks like the Dust Camera is going to stay in, considering they're including it on that page, with lifebars.
Too bad the japanese text is all part of the images, so nobody can just google translate it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Mio Bison posted:

Isn't it more likely that if you clash three times in a row something bad happens to one of you? Shoutouts to Narukami Yu. RIP clash exhibitions
Weird that they would've had a clash exhibition in the launch trailer, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKGPhKu3jNg
Although now that I watch it again, they didn't have more than two consecutive bursts without enough time apart to dash, jump, etc.

edit: I just realised that nobody has mentioned the "R.I.S.C. Level" at the edge of the lifebar. The text has something about "guard" and "counter hit", should we just assume it's the guard break meter?

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 2, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I finally got around to looking at Dustloop, and I found this post:

Ronove posted:

The translation is:

when doing a roman cancel you can also "slow down the flow of time for anyone except you"

and below the three images showing the yellow RC

"Upon doing a RC during a projectile move's activation, you can attack the opponent both with your character and the projectile move simultaneously!"

Witch Time RCs? Okay, whatever.

Also, Sol now has an aerial Dragon Install :unsmigghh:

edit: I just realised that nobody has mentioned the "R.I.S.C. Level" at the edge of the lifebar. The text has something about "guard" and "counter hit", should we just assume it's the guard break meter?

It's probably just the guard balance or its replacement. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked the same way, crank it high enough, and it'll cause CH on any and all hits for a while.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 2, 2013

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The FRC bit I suppose is just giving an explanation as to why it's using, showing Sol's classic unblockable setup.

Slowing down time on RC seems really interesting - sounds like the kind of thing I'd expect out of Arcana Heart.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Yellow RC sounds interesting. I hope the characters revealed are all old except one. Please reveal the grappler...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Dustloop has a dedicated thread for tidied up notes now:
http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?16461-Xrd-News-Thread

Two interesting things:
③ Tension Gauge
This gauge is required for Overdrive Attacks and Roman Cancels. It increases each time you dash or perform an offensive action.
⑥ R.I.S.C. Level
This increases each time you block your opponent's attacks and decreases when you are hit. Once it reaches a certain level, you can counter any attack from your opponent.

Did dashing increase your gauge before? I don't remember it doing so.
Also, RISC seems to be a new defensive tool, is it like a free Dead Angle attack?

• Locked thread