Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Satorr posted:

Anyone have personal experience with Qanba Q4RAF sticks?

Might need a new PC/360 stick soon and I figured I may as well get one that is dual-modded so I can use it on my PS3 as well, even though I already have two PS3 sticks.

I'm suspicious of the price. How can it be so close to a Madcatz stick price but be ready for any platform out of the box, and with Sanwa parts? Are Madcatz prices just inflated?

I'll take any other pre-fab'd dual mod recommendations, too. I don't want to be doing the modding myself.

I know a couple people that have them and like them ok, no real issues. Dual Modding is pretty easy though, you don't even need to solder these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Satorr posted:

Might need a new PC/360 stick soon and I figured I may as well get one that is dual-modded so I can use it on my PS3 as well, even though I already have two PS3 sticks.

I'm suspicious of the price. How can it be so close to a Madcatz stick price but be ready for any platform out of the box, and with Sanwa parts? Are Madcatz prices just inflated?

I'll take any other pre-fab'd dual mod recommendations, too. I don't want to be doing the modding myself.

I have one. It owns and it is awesome. Madcatz isn't allowed to sell stuff out of the box with both an Xbox and PS3 PCB, because :911:

Qanba (and Eightarc sticks) are Chinese in origin - thus the dual mod out of the box - but they're still extremely quality.

You'll see Madcatz sticks go on sale much much more often, knocking the price down from $160 to $100 or less. So yes, they are somewhat "overpriced". That being said, getting a Madcatz stick on sale and getting a dual mod kit will run you $160 - $180, so it's up to you.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Satorr posted:

I own a Q4RAF, it's a god drat amazing stick and I highly recommend it.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Of course if you're talking about X2, Sol's dustloop were easy as poo poo to just crank out a few reps of and end with a knockdown. Those were really dumb, but so was most of X2.

X2 was sweet because Slayer's command throw was an infinite combo and Millia Rage killed you from just knocking you down once and still wasn't as good as Eddie

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The Qanba and Eightarc sticks that come dual-modded out of the box have a much higher failure rate than non-Chinese sticks. That said, the only people who really notice are the people at tournaments who fix/mod sticks (DaRabidDuckie averages about 4 times as many Qanbas or Eightarcs as all other sticks combined). When they work, they work well, though, so people consider it worth the risk? For the price you can just get a Madcatz stick, dual-mod it, and swap out the artwork, to boot.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Satorr posted:

These are the standard in my scene and we all love them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Broken Loose posted:

The Qanba and Eightarc sticks that come dual-modded out of the box have a much higher failure rate than non-Chinese sticks. That said, the only people who really notice are the people at tournaments who fix/mod sticks (DaRabidDuckie averages about 4 times as many Qanbas or Eightarcs as all other sticks combined). When they work, they work well, though, so people consider it worth the risk? For the price you can just get a Madcatz stick, dual-mod it, and swap out the artwork, to boot.

Not really unless you got one of those $80 TEs. Modding costs like $65 + tools, and you probably don't have all the tools.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Jeffrey posted:

Not really unless you got one of those $80 TEs. Modding costs like $65 + tools, and you probably don't have all the tools.

What tools? The only tools I needed to dual mod my TE was a hex key to open it up and a small screwdriver to screw the wires into the PCB. And some scissors to cut the wires I guess. Nothing really out of the ordinary.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

S-Alpha posted:

What tools? The only tools I needed to dual mod my TE was a hex key to open it up and a small screwdriver to screw the wires into the PCB. And some scissors to cut the wires I guess. Nothing really out of the ordinary.

Hmm I guess the harder part of mine was putting in the ethernet jack so I could switch it out to other consoles, not everyone has to do that. (What good is a stick that can't play ps2 cvs2?) I bought a hole saw for it. Still, if you don't have one of (jeweler's screwdriver, hex key, wire stripper) you are going to have to pay more. I think the eightarc will always come out at least marginally cheaper.

sdasdas
Dec 29, 2012
I've had my Qanba 4 since November of 2011 and it's worked perfectly the whole time on both PS3 and PC. I only once had an issue when I dropped it face down on a concrete floor which messed up the stick itself, but some fiddling inside the case fixed it. In Canada you can't take advantage of the MadCatz sales, so it's either a $150 TE or $160 Q4.

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

X2 was sweet because Slayer's command throw was an infinite combo and Millia Rage killed you from just knocking you down once and still wasn't as good as Eddie

Not sure what you mean with Millia since she still can kill most characters off one knockdown throughout each revision.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Krakhan posted:

Not sure what you mean with Millia since she still can kill most characters off one knockdown throughout each revision.
despite her being that solid off a knockdown. her struggle to get that knockdown on certain members of the cast leaves a lot to be desired.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Satorr posted:

I have an Eightarc Fusion which is practically the same stick.

It had an issue that I didn't really notice until several months after it was out of warranty (if I turned off my 360 with it plugged in, the 360 would not recognize the stick until it had been disconnected and reconnected) and I contacted Eightarc and they sent me a new PCB and USB cable for :tenbux:

So what I'm saying is, buying a stick from Eightarc isn't a mistake even if it shows up defective.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Jeffrey posted:

Hmm I guess the harder part of mine was putting in the ethernet jack so I could switch it out to other consoles, not everyone has to do that. (What good is a stick that can't play ps2 cvs2?) I bought a hole saw for it. Still, if you don't have one of (jeweler's screwdriver, hex key, wire stripper) you are going to have to pay more. I think the eightarc will always come out at least marginally cheaper.

Unless Q4RAFs and Eightarcs are PS2 compatible (they aren't), this is apples and oranges.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski
Execution is so much more difficult in ST than in GG. I can do most things in the latter game because of the lenient buffer but can't hit even hit the Blanka ToD poo poo consistently in ST. The highest level of ST stuff like that weird Ken jab-cancelling into super poo poo is completely beyond me, GG never had anything that difficult.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

heiden posted:

Execution is so much more difficult in ST than in GG. I can do most things in the latter game because of the lenient buffer but can't hit even hit the Blanka ToD poo poo consistently in ST. The highest level of ST stuff like that weird Ken jab-cancelling into super poo poo is completely beyond me, GG never had anything that difficult.

This doesn't mean GG couldn't benefit from being slightly easier to play.

Note: I didn't say a simpler game, just easier to play. Some people keep conflating these things and really need to stop.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
For what its worth almost all of the harder exectution in st is unnecessary. If you're going to use blanka then yeah you have to learn ToD but no one uses him and if you use n.ken then you have to learn to do short short super which is hard because it involves a weird karacancel of a third short. Balrogs jabs into super is also pretty difficult imo but you don't see it much. Fei's poo poo is hard but no one uses him either. Bisons ToD isn't impossible though and Deejays combos aren't hard for the most part except for getting the MGU timing perfect. Most everyone else doesn't have combos to worry about. Its apples and oranges to me when comparing to GG because ST doesn't have nearly as many mechanics or long combos.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Anyone know where you can buy just a good case. I bought a lovely stick as a babby and I replaced the stick and buttons already and now I want a higher quality case. Would probably be better to buy a new stick outright and just have an extra but just want to see. All I've really seen is one from here http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/index.cfm?loc=about&sub=tekcase and acrylic kinda makes me nervous as I'm pretty rough on my stick

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Fingers McLongDong posted:

For what its worth almost all of the harder exectution in st is unnecessary. If you're going to use blanka then yeah you have to learn ToD but no one uses him and if you use n.ken then you have to learn to do short short super which is hard because it involves a weird karacancel of a third short. Balrogs jabs into super is also pretty difficult imo but you don't see it much. Fei's poo poo is hard but no one uses him either. Bisons ToD isn't impossible though and Deejays combos aren't hard for the most part except for getting the MGU timing perfect. Most everyone else doesn't have combos to worry about. Its apples and oranges to me when comparing to GG because ST doesn't have nearly as many mechanics or long combos.

Ken's renda cancel isn't that hard, it's just one extra button than the intuitive motion and you can piano it. The thing is you'd never know to do it without reading the wiki or hearing it from a veteran, like a lot of things in the game. Blanka's ToD isn't really necessary either; I'd say only Deejay and Dictator really need to have the ToDs down (I cannot play Deejay because I simply can't get MGU to do all the hits, it's some mystic poo poo).

The loops are really the hardest thing in the game and they are hard. If you watch the Japanese play the Fei Long and T. Hawk players are just terrifying because if they get you knocked down you basically die from option select loops (Fei's isn't really an option select but it's still incredibly strong).

It's all really character dependent, if you play O. Sagat there's not much hard execution but there are a lot of weird inputs and charge tricks in the game.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

lamentable dustman posted:

Anyone know where you can buy just a good case. I bought a lovely stick as a babby and I replaced the stick and buttons already and now I want a higher quality case. Would probably be better to buy a new stick outright and just have an extra but just want to see. All I've really seen is one from here http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/index.cfm?loc=about&sub=tekcase and acrylic kinda makes me nervous as I'm pretty rough on my stick

Most of the case makers stopped doing them. Tek and this other guy are your best bets.

http://www.simplecase.org/

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Redmark posted:

Ken's renda cancel isn't that hard, it's just one extra button than the intuitive motion and you can piano it. The thing is you'd never know to do it without reading the wiki or hearing it from a veteran, like a lot of things in the game. Blanka's ToD isn't really necessary either; I'd say only Deejay and Dictator really need to have the ToDs down (I cannot play Deejay because I simply can't get MGU to do all the hits, it's some mystic poo poo).

The loops are really the hardest thing in the game and they are hard. If you watch the Japanese play the Fei Long and T. Hawk players are just terrifying because if they get you knocked down you basically die from option select loops (Fei's isn't really an option select but it's still incredibly strong).

It's all really character dependent, if you play O. Sagat there's not much hard execution but there are a lot of weird inputs and charge tricks in the game.

I guess when I think of "execution" I think of longer difficult combos, not stuff like OS inputs. That stuff makes sense to me I guess from playing ST/older games, but playing games with long combos annoys me. Its part of the reason I never got into any airdashers/marvel other than spectating. I didn't even think to mention something like t.hawks dp/throw safejump OS because in my brain it doesn't fall in the same category of execution.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I guess when I think of "execution" I think of longer difficult combos, not stuff like OS inputs. That stuff makes sense to me I guess from playing ST/older games, but playing games with long combos annoys me. Its part of the reason I never got into any airdashers/marvel other than spectating. I didn't even think to mention something like t.hawks dp/throw safejump OS because in my brain it doesn't fall in the same category of execution.

By the way, since you mentioned Machine Gun Upper timing: how do you do it? The only thing I've read about it is that you have to mash fast but not too fast or else you don't get all the hits anyway :psyduck: When I mash it the hits don't even combo and I just get thrown.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Redmark posted:

By the way, since you mentioned Machine Gun Upper timing: how do you do it? The only thing I've read about it is that you have to mash fast but not too fast or else you don't get all the hits anyway :psyduck: When I mash it the hits don't even combo and I just get thrown.

Tbh I haven't tried in a long time and when I goof around with deejay I usually just go for the sobat kick ToD because I can do it pretty easy even if it doesn't work as consistently as MGU. I heard it told to me one time that you should cancel into FP mgu, then after hitting FP you piano all three punches with a tiny pause in between each piano. Not sure how well that method works :shrug:

I'm a Honda player anyways, i just neg edge ochio all day when I use n.Honda so clearly I am not a person who likes doing difficult combos!

Ed: someone find that vid of the fastest st match, might have been a tougeki video between a ken and a deejay. The one where round one ended in a few seconds because of deejay ToD, I can't find it.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 4, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gutcruncher and Gwyrgyn Blood talking about how fun Aquapazza is finally got me to go over to Play-Asia to order it. But apparently they have it listed as getting a US release now?

I'm not sure just how bullshit that listing is, because I haven't heard of nor can I find any mention of a US release outside of that page.

As for GG stuff, even with my lower-than-mediocre execution, FRCs are fine, but the one thing I can't do is get a consistent clean hit off of Grand Viper. I feel so bad that of all the mechanics, that's the one thing that throws me :smith:

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 4, 2013

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

AkumaHokoru posted:

despite her being that solid off a knockdown. her struggle to get that knockdown on certain members of the cast leaves a lot to be desired.

It will never get old seeing millia do her bullshit for 30 seconds and then the jam/slayer guesses right once and kills her in one combo.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

S-Alpha posted:

Gutcruncher and Gwyrgyn Blood talking about how fun Aquapazza is finally got me to go over to Play-Asia to order it. But apparently they have it listed as getting a US release now?

I'm not sure just how bullshit that listing is, because I haven't heard of nor can I find any mention of a US release outside of that page.

As for GG stuff, even with my lower-than-mediocre execution, FRCs are fine, but the one thing I can't do is get a consistent clean hit off of Grand Viper. I feel so bad that of all the mechanics, that's the one thing that throws me :smith:

Playasia was told there was a US version coming, but I haven't heard a thing about it either. Gamestop doesn't seem to know anything about it though, which makes me skeptical.

For Grand Viper, if you're just hitting it raw, all you have to do is mash out all of the hits to get the clean hit. But yeah, doing it in combos you sometimes have to mash out a specific number of hits and gently caress that. Good news is that if you're lazy like me, in ACPR you can use EX Sidewinder which always clean hits!

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Seems silly of me to ask considering all the match footage out but you should still be aiming for 3 sidewinders in a bnb combo right?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

3 Sidewinders into a hard knockdown is a pretty good target to aim for yeah. Depending on the setup and situation, it's possible to get upwards of 5 or 6, but I don't recall if the damage for those is dramatically better or not.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 4, 2013

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Redmark posted:

All the rules of how MGU are really funky but basically you just piano from fierce to jab three times with a certain timing. If you do it too fast, you'll extend the earlier hits too much and it'll drop. If you do it too slow, the MGU will get like 2 hits and do no damage or stun. There's a sweet spot in the middle but even within that spot there are like 3 different versions depending on very small timing differences that will all fully combo but you might get 3 or 4 hits (and on some chars and depending on the combo you did, the 4th hit MIGHT whiff) and the stun will be inconsistent.

Once you get it down, you'll probably get the 3-hit version most of the time but it will stun most of the time from a crossup. I can't get 4 hits consistently but it doesn't really matter as either one is huge damage and most likely stun. Learning how to do MGU is pretty essential for a Deejay player in my opinion, if not for the TOD combo then just for the giant "gently caress you" throw bait that is low short xx MGU.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

S-Alpha posted:

Wouldn't count on it. A few of the menus are in English already anyways though, if that helps.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Klaus Kinski posted:

It will never get old seeing millia do her bullshit for 30 seconds and then the jam/slayer guesses right once and kills her in one combo.

millia was my first juri. I dropped her for jam.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I feel really bad about +R because there is no way the online infrastructure will be improved enough for a lot of us to play each other. I just wanna be hit by FB Puffball just once more....before I die :smith:

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I feel really bad about +R because there is no way the online infrastructure will be improved enough for a lot of us to play each other. I just wanna be hit by FB Puffball just once more....before I die :smith:

gently caress puffballs in every game.

Jam puffball in GG, Marisa puffball in IaMP, Chie puffball in P4U...

They all give me nightmares.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Give o.ryu a puffball.

thumb
Sep 9, 2003

Very large hands.
How the crap does anyone keep track of what's going on in a Marvel vs. Capcom game? The screen is just exploding with the actions of 6 different characters that are bouncing in and off the playfield and making GBS threads out insane, screen-filling fireworks.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Watch/play it a lot, I guess? Following the game is pretty simple once you know what the characters are capable of. Playing it is another thing entirely.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Countblanc posted:

Watch/play it a lot, I guess? Following the game is pretty simple once you know what the characters are capable of. Playing it is another thing entirely.

I think playing any fighting game makes it easier to understand when you watch, really.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

thumb posted:

How the crap does anyone keep track of what's going on in a Marvel vs. Capcom game? The screen is just exploding with the actions of 6 different characters that are bouncing in and off the playfield and making GBS threads out insane, screen-filling fireworks.

Once you have experience with the game, you learn to filter out the "noise" (like the fireworks,) and you'll get a lot better at seeing the actual important bits.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

One of the Skullgirls steam preorder benefits says "permanent access to the beta" - is the beta open now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

One of the Skullgirls steam preorder benefits says "permanent access to the beta" - is the beta open now?

Yes. It has no lobbies (should be fixed early this coming week) and no story mode (by publisher request), and Squiggly is the only DLC character in so far, but it's totally playable otherwise.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 5, 2013

• Locked thread