Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Umberger
Jan 24, 2010
Bal Rodos is a terrible boss and I really hope that the new 12 person boss they're planning on isn't something in the style of that fight. It's so slow and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
It's kinda funny that, with a team, the sub boss of Ocean is a much more hectic and complicated fight than Bal Rodos.

On the other hand, the nostalgia is pretty nice.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Gearhead posted:

Your main obstacle in trying to solo him is that when he does his BIG waterbomb attack, you generally need to break the bubble of water with multiple deck guns focusing fire.
If you're good at timing and guessing when it's coming, you can harpoon him just before he starts charging it, avoiding the attack entirely.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

I like fighting Bal Rodos. :(

It's kind of nice that there's at least one gimmick boss. Falz doesn't really count.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
If Bal Rodos went around hipchecking the boat, shot hypodermic tentacle needles at you, and was maybe like 4x as aggresive it might be a fun fight.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

just a butt posted:

and was maybe like 4x as aggresive it might be a fun fight.

This is the major problem with Bal Rodos. The fight takes way too long because he's not within range of any attacks for 80% of it.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Bal Rodos is one of my favorite bosses. Just don't fight him solo.

His music is also really amazing.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Azanami's client orders don't have required levels so you can slap him around on normal if you need to.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
That's twice now I've gotten D/Ced during AQs. I have never had that kind of connection problems before. Kinda getting annoyed.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Devour or Fire posted:

Azanami's client orders don't have required levels so you can slap him around on normal if you need to.

That's what I've been doing. The charge bubble still kills me outright, but I made a lot more progress this time. Guess I should just open up the room. :sweatdrop:

Jowy
Dec 4, 2007

Jesus Christ, it's a Pyro!

One and the Same posted:

That's what I've been doing. The charge bubble still kills me outright, but I made a lot more progress this time. Guess I should just open up the room. :sweatdrop:

The bubble can be broken when soloing by using one of the turrets to just constantly fire on it. There's no real trick or anything to it, otherwise it's an excuse to sit back and enjoy the music.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
You can just guard or dodge the bubble still, if for some reason you fail to break it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Handgun Harlot posted:

You can just guard or dodge the bubble still, if for some reason you fail to break it.

I didn't even know it was breakable and just smacked the boss in the face while the bubble creeps down. Just dodge right before it hits the ground and take no damage.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I didn't even know it was breakable and just smacked the boss in the face while the bubble creeps down. Just dodge right before it hits the ground and take no damage.

Luckily I've been Force every time and with Mirage Escape's generous i-frames it's really easy to dodge, but yeah I'm also joining the "I didn't know you could actually break it" camp. I've always fired at it and people in my party do too but I've never once seen it break in about 10~12 fights. All the melee characters always did Just Guards on it, I figured it was a "do you know how to avoid damage" check. v:shobon:v

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor
Bal Rodos is quite easy once you figure out his pattern.

1. Damage him as usual, preferably with your own weapons when possible. The guns don't do that much damage and are mainly there for melee characters.
2. He'll dive below the platform then do a bunch of bubble shots onto the platform while doing Shamu flops. At the end of this move, most people will try to harpoon him. Resist the temptation.
3. Following the bubbles, he'll then do the big charge up bubble. As others have mentioned in the thread, shoot it with one of the 4 machine guns (not the harpoon). The big bubble scales with the number of people present, so everyone with you must be in a gun. Shoot the big bubble after it is shot and the move should not complete. Harpoon him after this move. Have a person designated to use the harpoon gun and have them get in the harpoon gun after putting a few seconds worth of shots into the bubble.
4. Continue to harpoon him on cooldown. By using this timing, you avoid the insta kill platform swipes and this should make the fight much much easier.

Breakable parts are the top, middle and, bottom of every section of the body, the two fins, his nose horn, his face mask, and the 2 spikes on the back of the neck. The spikes on the back of the neck cannot be damaged till the mask is broken.

Aenslaed fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 11, 2013

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy
I'm pretty excited about those team capes. Are we going to need team points to buy them? What color are we going to have?

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Aenslaed posted:

4. Continue to harpoon him on cooldown. By using this timing, you avoid the insta kill platform swipes and this should make the fight much much easier.

I have harpooned him so many times mid-charge it's kinda funny

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Bal Rodos just makes me pine for a fully updated De Rol. I know that's what they were going for with him and I think he's fun enough to fight, but it could have been so much better if he just had more interesting attacks. :smith:

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
My main problem with Bal Rodos is that his drop table it totally not worth the time it takes to kill him compared with other bosses. The regular and rare versions only drop one 10 star item, and all the other drops (rare disks aside) are crappy 7 star weapons that drop in a bunch of other places. I'd much rather wait until they fill out his drop tables with more and better stuff.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4PTUjBn3Qw

I want Summer Rappies to go away already. This is pure torture.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
But those rare drop titles...

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Every time a Clarita Visas drops, I experience an instant of pure hate.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
A Clarita Visas would be a nice change of pace from tuna/umbrellas, honestly.

Very late edit: Saw a RARE DROP! notification about the same time Hunar died on the beach, nearly soiled myself. Oh..it's a rod.

Why did I open my big stupid mouth :negative:

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 12, 2013

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
You meet the most interesting people in space.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Having dusted off Fo and played around with the new techs, I figured I'd put up revised rankings for the various elements.

Lighting: still king, Na Zonde is dangerous because it needs to be channeled, but super PP efficient and does great damage to bosses that leave long openings

Fire: still a solid number two, Na Foie offers both good area and single target damage for an affordable 35 PP, Shore adds a ton of fire-vulnerable enemies to fry

Dark: moves up a spot on the strength of Na Megid, which owns for breaking parts, dropping mid-size trash and blasting big chunks out of mini-bosses

Light: still solid overall and great against darkers, but Na Grants doesn't help with Light's lack of good burst damage, though it is still definitely worth getting

Wind: slightly better off with the advent of bird darkers, but still only useful against a handful of enemies that are all weak to Fire or Light, Zanverse doesn't stack up all that well against the other new techs

Ice: more enemies vulnerable to it, but also vulnerable to Fire, Sa Barta is unchargeable, which pretty much says it all

So yeah, not much difference. Ice still gets boned, but Wind's main weakness has always been the dearth of targets, so things are at least moving in the right direction. Sa Barta is really terrible, and Zanverse is kind of interesting but hard to use effectively. Na Zonde is risky, but powerful and efficient. Na Foie is versatile and powerful. Na Megid gives tech users powerful burst damage at the price of a high opportunity cost. Na Grants gives a good source of stacking persistent area damage with zero dead angles.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Nabarta actually does decent AoE damage and control, it's just horribly PP innefficient and worthless to Techers since it doesn't built wand gear. Zanverse is mainly good for stunned bosses in MPAs, where that damage boost really adds up, especially when poo poo like Backhand Smash and Over-End exists.

Wind is also one of the better elements for Techer mains because of how insanely fast and cheaply Zan builds gear.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
When you're Territory Bursting all over the place, Zanverse and Zondeel and Megiverse are godsends to the multiplayer area.

I wonder if the patch did anything with PSE Bursts, because I would see them infrequently during CBB but I have seen multiple cross bursts during every Beach Wars event. The beach also has a lil snippet of the PSP2I beach theme, which was the best. :yayclod:

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES

Handgun Harlot posted:

I wonder if the patch did anything with PSE Bursts, because I would see them infrequently during CBB but I have seen multiple cross bursts during every Beach Wars event. The beach also has a lil snippet of the PSP2I beach theme, which was the best. :yayclod:
I don't think any of the PSE Burst mechanics were changed. In CBB you couldn't walk 10 feet without running into Persona or one of the many other bosses, so everyone would stop what they were doing to fight them. This means that nobody was killing the random trash enemies, so the PSE bonuses end up degrading faster than people can generate them. Meanwhile, in Beach Wars, there are way fewer boss e-trials, so people are killing plenty of trash mobs and maxing out PSE bonuses, causing a burst.

Incidentally, the guy from last night that was screeching about "exit bursts" was talking about a trick where everyone groups up at the exit area when a PSE Burst occurs - since enemies cannot spawn inside the exit region, it causes enemies to spawn in tighter groups just outside the exit area, leaving them easy pickings for ranged classes. Unfortunately it also means melee classes spend a lot of time sitting around and doing nothing, since moving further out will disrupt the spawns, which the SUPER SERIOUS players don't like. It's perfectly fine to ask people to group together at a certain location to get the most out of a PSE Burst, but please don't be like this guy and yell at 11 other random people when they're not playing the way you want them to play! Remember, You Are Not The Only Hero!

AndyAML fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 12, 2013

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
They're also changing PSE Burst mechanics expressly to prevent this poo poo by allowing mobs in a PSE Burst special exceptions to spawning rules.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

AndyAML posted:

I don't think any of the PSE Burst mechanics were changed. In CBB you couldn't walk 10 feet without running into Persona or one of the many other bosses, so everyone would stop what they were doing to fight them. This means that nobody was killing the random trash enemies, so the PSE bonuses end up degrading faster than people can generate them. Meanwhile, in Beach Wars, there are way fewer boss e-trials, so people are killing plenty of trash mobs and maxing out PSE bonuses, causing a burst.

Incidentally, the guy from last night that was screeching about "exit bursts" was talking about a trick where everyone groups up at the exit area when a PSE Burst occurs - since enemies cannot spawn inside the exit region, it causes enemies to spawn in tighter groups just outside the exit area, leaving them easy pickings for ranged classes. Unfortunately it also means melee classes spend a lot of time sitting around and doing nothing, since moving further out will disrupt the spawns, which the SUPER SERIOUS players don't like. It's perfectly fine to ask people to group together at a certain location to get the most out of a PSE Burst, but please don't be like this guy and yell at 11 other random people when they're not playing the way you want them to play! Remember, You Are Not The Only Hero!

"learnt o exit burst noobs

melee so useless"

- Versye 2001

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
One thing I did notice since the start of episode 2 is that getting PSE trolled in AQs at the very end of the map is no longer a thing.
Once that "PSE Burst chance!" timer pops up, and there's no monsters left, the game will eventually spawn some pity mobs so you can get that burst going.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
I'm thinking of holding some kind of informal trivia contest in the IRC channel for anyone who would like to win some Arks Cash. I'll just PM the winners the webmoney code.

When's a good date for people? Thursday? Saturday? Sunday? I know we have peeps scattered all over the globe, so I'd like some feedback so as to alienate as few people as possible.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

AndyAML posted:

Melee characters are supposed to use Additional Bullet in PSE Bursts (especially so in exit/entrance Bursts). It's not the end of the world if they don't, but you're being way less ~*~efficient~*~ if you aren't doing this.

Protocol 5 posted:

Having dusted off Fo and played around with the new techs, I figured I'd put up revised rankings for the various elements.

This also depends on what your subclass is. As Fo/Br for instance, Lightning is really good for small enemies (Dahgashes, most mechs, Micdas) but starts to fall behind Fire for medium/large enemies (Wonda, Kuklon/Cyclonehdas) because of how much DPS Nafoie can provide and the utility that comes from stunlocking them. I certainly wouldn't say Lightning is king just because of how good Safoie and Nafoie are even for Fo/Te. Fire and Lightning are still indisputably #1 and #2 in terms of usability though, but it's debatable which is the best overall. I will say though, having used Nazonde, I found that it is very risky in that you can't just dodge out of it freely like you can with every other tech. Once you're channeling it, you have to wait for the animation to finish before you can move. What you said is right about it being ridiculously PP efficient, but I honestly haven't found many opportunities to use it, and every boss that has a long "down" period I feel like there are better options: Banther/Banshees/Gwanahda I'd use Safoie/Nafoie, Vol/Quartz/Dragon EX/Ragne you may as well just start charging another Namegid (once you've broken one Ragne leg it's easier to just spam Namegid on his core so long as you aren't in a party that is going for breaks/drops), Goronzoran/Caters are well suited for Ramegid spam, not sure if you can sit in Vardha's core while channeling but that'd be a good one probably, same goes for Zeshrayda if the game actually decides to hit his core. But again because of how ridiculously good Weak Stance and Namegid are, it ends up being more damage to just use that on bosses 90% of the time anyway. Except when it decides to hit Banther/Banshees front claws even though it's specifically targeting his head. :argh:

Also I've never used offensive Light spells outside of Ragrants on Dark Falz Elder's arms, Grants to break Hunar's sword/Chrome Dragon parts, or the special case of using Grants for the Amduscia TA to avoid killing dragonkin where applicable. They all charge too slow and I feel like none of the spells hit hard enough (as either Fo/Te or Fo/Br) to warrant using them, particularly because everything that's weak to Light is weak to either Fire or Lightning (with the exception of Chrome Dragon and Hunar's sword) which often provide far superior DPS. Even with the new Darkers I still prefer using Zan over any of the Light spells. I don't really get what Nagrants is meant for either. It seems pretty okay at breaking the funji so I guess that's cool. Otherwise it does poopy damage and isn't the most convenient thing to use.

Ice sucks, grass is green, sky is blue etc etc. Nothing new here and I still don't think they understand why Ice sucks.

Protocol 5 posted:

My main problem with Bal Rodos is that his drop table it totally not worth the time it takes to kill him compared with other bosses. The regular and rare versions only drop one 10 star item, and all the other drops (rare disks aside) are crappy 7 star weapons that drop in a bunch of other places. I'd much rather wait until they fill out his drop tables with more and better stuff.

At least they were kind enough to give Bal Dominus the two worst possible rare disks, an Ice spell and a Rifle PA. Woop de loving doo.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 12, 2013

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Edit: Problem solved.

Ibexaz fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 12, 2013

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just fired up the game for the first time since the first month of open beta... promptly entered into a 15 minute emergency event as a level 3 Braver, and went to level 13 by the time it ended. I think that many levels took me a couple weekends when I first started playing. Also saw my first crazy PSE item-rain, where it dropped an umbrella for me that lets me cast spells like Resta as any class. Rad.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I think it's time for me to take a break from the game again. There really isn't anything for me to actually do now that I've gotten some AQs out of the way and specific 10* drops and Haze Draal continue to be almost unattainable. I've used 5 or so triboosts on the beach quest, had two 8+ minute cross bursts, and fought countless rare bosses and have yet to see anything but Lambda weapons and rappy poo poo drop.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Miijhal posted:

I think it's time for me to take a break from the game again. There really isn't anything for me to actually do now that I've gotten some AQs out of the way and specific 10* drops and Haze Draal continue to be almost unattainable. I've used 5 or so triboosts on the beach quest, had two 8+ minute cross bursts, and fought countless rare bosses and have yet to see anything but Lambda weapons and rappy poo poo drop.

PSO2 basically has no endgame content worth mentioning. Once you've hit the wall, you realise that aiming for any specific drop, and in particular any specific 11*, is impossible. AQs are alright fun but the dumb risk mechanic means that anyone without the ability to play extremely regularly won't see the benefit of the highest risk levels and the capsule mechanic is just daft. XQs are... really poor, suffer from an extremely confusing design in terms of progression (even the JP players get confused as gently caress looking at it: http://pso2.swiki.jp/index.php?%E3%82%A8%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B9%E3%83%88%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0%E3%82%AF%E3%82%A8%E3%82%B9%E3%83%88) and are not particularly satisfying or fun to actually play compared to just shooting enemies in a free field.

The only thing left to do is to farm the same explorables over and over with goons. That can be really relaxing and I log in to do just that, but once you've dressed up your space anime and done that a bunch there really is no content left to speak of. Adding a new boss every once in a while isn't going to help very much because it'll be something you kill once or twice, then only go back to when an EQ is up or you need it for a client order.

Couple that with the very real server load and DC issues (in the past five AQs I've done, somebody has disconnected in four of those tries) and the very poor implementation of the party/block system and it becomes easy to see that Sega has designed a pretty fun action combat system for an MMO and then... sort of backed it up with close to nothing at all.

What really confuses me is that this game is made for playing with friends. You want to gather a group together and shoot stuff together because that's fun. Unfortunately, you have to deal with all the barriers the game has in place for playing with your friends: the block system sucks and if you're not premium you can easily miss out during emergency events. The instant you need to pop over to your My Room to assign some quests to your support partner you have to leave your block and maybe you won't get back into it. The AQ capsule mechanic means that everyone will need to do different AQs at any point in time. The dumb XQ stage system means that if you play XQs with friends who are higher up the stages than you are you see no advancement in stages. Why do these barriers exist when playing together and whacking stuff together is the best part of the game?

It all just smacks of asinine design that really shouldn't even be a problem! For instance, any quest fields are already instanced - why should you not be able to form a cross-block party and enter the first field that exists out there with enough slots for you, or create a new one if there isn't a currently active field that fits the party requirements?

Also, here's some news on the English version of PSO2 for the first time in months:

quote:

Your digital offering is also changing Sega into a new business. What are the objectives in that space?

The business models are changing every day, and free-to-play is something we are excited about; at GDC we announced Total War Arena, and then in Japan we are seeing huge success with Phantasy Star Online 2. Phantasy Star is free-to-play on PC and Vita, and doing very well on Vita in Japan. We will bring that game to the Western market at some point.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/has-sega-s-switch-to-digital-worked/0119859

Oh, were you hoping for some actual, concrete information?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Kessel posted:

Also, here's some news on the English version of PSO2 for the first time in months:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/has-sega-s-switch-to-digital-worked/0119859

Oh, were you hoping for some actual, concrete information?

Ugh. I don't even care anymore. I've actually convinced some of my friends to play, so I don't have any real reason to wait for it's western release "at some point" anymore.

Besides, I need something to keep me occupied until Saint's Row 4 comes out. :madmax:

edit: I guess it's cool that they're still planning on releasing it in the west. I'm certainly not going to spend a dime on it while I have to go through some money changing service with an upcharge to do it.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 13, 2013

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I still care. I really want it to be released on PC in the West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, I'm still holding out for a western release. I know it won't come until like 2016, start out years behind in content, never get any updates, quickly become a ghost town, and just as quickly get shut down by Sega, but I just can't get into the eastern version :negative:

Ryanbomber fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 13, 2013

• Locked thread