Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Tim Paine always seemed alright, wasn't afraid to block it out in the middle order. Seems like just what Australia needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Michael Beer. What were he all about?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Was he the groundsman?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

he is now

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
No that was Lyon who is... still in the team

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Guess who just tested positive to a performance enhancer.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/cricket/news/article.cfm?c_id=29&objectid=11111261

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I think Beer debuted in the last ashes at the WACA? He'd only played two games or something before then and wasn't very good. That was the series where they dropped Hauritz right before it started for Doherty and then realised that Doherty isn't very good. I think Beer was in the running to go to India earlier this year but they had to take Doherty because Beer was injured. Now nobody gives a poo poo about either of them because we have Agar.

e: Looked it up, he debuted at the SCG vs England

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Scylo posted:

I think Beer debuted in the last ashes at the WACA? He'd only played two games or something before then and wasn't very good. That was the series where they dropped Hauritz right before it started for Doherty and then realised that Doherty isn't very good. I think Beer was in the running to go to India earlier this year but they had to take Doherty because Beer was injured. Now nobody gives a poo poo about either of them because we have Agar.

e: Looked it up, he debuted at the SCG vs England

He was the 12th man at the WACA. He was included because Shane Warne said he was great.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

He he, I remember that, it brought about the immortal headline, "typical Aussies, dropping Bollinger for Beer".

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Auditore posted:

Can't believe some of the names on that list. Shaun Marsh played 7 tests lol. Lyon playing 24 is crazy.

Why? He's a decent spinner, not great, but handy. And more importantly, who would you replace him with? I'm aware of O'Keefe, but he isn't proven at test level and hasn't set the world on fire in the Shield either. The new Ahmed guy hasn't bashed the door down with his recent performances. I actually think Lyon is underrated. Not because he's so good, but because he's rated so lowly by seemingly everyone. That he was dropped for Agar is just mind boggling. It brings to mind all the other 1-2 test selections based on a hunch, or looking the part, or the other seat of the pants crap that Aussies seem to think is so much more important than actual player management and selection.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Unimpressed posted:

Why? He's a decent spinner, not great, but handy. And more importantly, who would you replace him with? I'm aware of O'Keefe, but he isn't proven at test level and hasn't set the world on fire in the Shield either. The new Ahmed guy hasn't bashed the door down with his recent performances. I actually think Lyon is underrated. Not because he's so good, but because he's rated so lowly by seemingly everyone. That he was dropped for Agar is just mind boggling. It brings to mind all the other 1-2 test selections based on a hunch, or looking the part, or the other seat of the pants crap that Aussies seem to think is so much more important than actual player management and selection.

No I meant because it didn't seem too long ago he made his debut in Sri Lanka.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Who the gently caress is Trent Copeland :psyduck:

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Tall guy that bowled 115kph and landed it on 10c piece

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
That also gets injured all the time now he's joined the ranks of aussie test bowlers.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

"Why, why, WHYYYYYY, Jesse Ryder!"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ryder's been given a 6-month ban, back-dated to April when he was notified of his positive result, meaning he'll only really serve a 2-month spell on the sidelines.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Unimpressed posted:

Guess who's broken again?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/663427.html?CMP=chrome

Poor kid can't catch a break. Is he just hosed up or do the Aussie medical staff have something to answer for? Maybe they should get in touch with Essendon football club?

He's still young, he'll grow into his body in time and he should be fine. I don;t think stress fractures are a chronic thing unless you have really poor muscle tone or something.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Shane Warne's mum at it again.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Shane Warne's mum at it again.

Nah those things he took seem to work like amphetamines, he was probably trying to get high or something.

pogo
Nov 14, 2003

England's finest <3

gay picnic defence posted:

He's still young, he'll grow into his body in time and he should be fine. I don;t think stress fractures are a chronic thing unless you have really poor muscle tone or something.

I had an osteopathy appointment yesterday. My guy is S&C coach for the Oxford university cricket team, and he was saying that almost all young cricketers (particularly bowlers but also batsmen) have small fractures in at least one vertebrae. However, not all are symptomatic - once they become symptomatic they can be really difficult to manage long-term...

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

pogo posted:

I had an osteopathy appointment yesterday. My guy is S&C coach for the Oxford university cricket team, and he was saying that almost all young cricketers (particularly bowlers but also batsmen) have small fractures in at least one vertebrae. However, not all are symptomatic - once they become symptomatic they can be really difficult to manage long-term...

Ah well, better get him on the AOD then...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vagabundo posted:

Ryder's been given a 6-month ban, back-dated to April when he was notified of his positive result, meaning he'll only really serve a 2-month spell on the sidelines.

What's the point of that? Wasn't he in hospital around then anyway?

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
I've heard reports that Khawaja and Bird are out for Faulkner and Starc at the Oval, Watson to bat 3, Haddin in at 6 and Faulkner at 7. Considering the tail now starts at 6 rather than 7 Clarke will be under more pressure when he walks in at 30/3.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cricinfo posted:

Faulkner will become the 17th player used by the Australians in this Ashes series, leaving backup wicketkeeper Matthew Wade as the only squad member not used.

Haddin is un-removable.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Replacing a number 3 batsman with an all-rounder seems completely insane

Lehmann on Khawaja earlier this year

quote:

"If he gets a good run at it, that's what you want," Lehmann said. "If he can get that run and he doesn't have that fear of getting dropped straight away, he'll do well."

Centusin fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 20, 2013

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I wish we'd replace Bairstow with and all-rounder.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
Be careful what you wish for. Luke Wright just scored 143 off 68 balls for the England Lions (and more relevantly, against Bangladesh A).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Auditore posted:

I've heard reports that Khawaja and Bird are out for Faulkner and Starc at the Oval, Watson to bat 3, Haddin in at 6 and Faulkner at 7. Considering the tail now starts at 6 rather than 7 Clarke will be under more pressure when he walks in at 30/3.

Faulkner seems to have good stats as a bowler and lets face it, if he scores more than 20 he'll be doing better than the batsmen have been.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Luke "loving" Wright doesn't bowl well enough to be an all-rounder.

Chemi
Jan 1, 2004

foppish
Watson at 3? Are you kidding me? Someone with a glaring technical deficiency holding that position?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Chemi posted:

Watson at 3? Are you kidding me? Someone with a glaring technical deficiency holding that position?
Not to mention his glaring lack of runs deficiency.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Who are the Australian selectors at the moment?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Ilanin posted:

Be careful what you wish for. Luke Wright just scored 143 off 68 balls for the England Lions (and more relevantly, against Bangladesh A).

Scoring 143 from 68 sounds absolutely fantastic; and I like Luke Wright and think he has a future for England.

But its Bangladesh A - as bad as Australia are at the minute; I think they're still a wee bit better than Bangladesh A!

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Not content with just being a long time supplier of clips for Innuendo Bingo, Aggers took part in the contest today.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So, Watson is moving to #3, which of late has been the last stop before the boot. Anyone else seeing his test career coming to an end? Also, love the new criteria for Faulkner's selection. Forget about actual performances, toughness is the new black. I love how the Aussies select, it's so last 1980s. Michael Clarke's language in describing him was illustrative of his lack of belief in the other players.

Michael Clarke posted:

"As we've seen so far in this series, statistics, records, first-class performances haven't meant that much," Clarke said. "It's about finding a way on that day or over those five days to have success. I know James Faulkner has got the strength to do that whether it be with the bat or with the ball.

"Like a lot of our young players, he's a wonderful young talent. But I think he's got the toughness to mix it with any opposition in any form of the game at the highest level. He's a fighter. He's a competitor. He might not look the best all the time but he'll find a way to stay out there and help his partner go on and make a hundred, or make sure he's batting with the tail and find a way to get them through. I think he's got that in him.

Maybe he'll be good, but to me he looks like another one of the young Aussie players who is all about aggression, snarling, and giving the bastman dirty looks. His behaviour and performance in the T20 against Sri Lanka was illustrative.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

JingleBells posted:

Not content with just being a long time supplier of clips for Innuendo Bingo, Aggers took part in the contest today.

Oh my word, this is easily one of the funniest things I have watched. Such grace and poise he has while being showered. What a sport.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
There was an amusing anecdote The Guardian's cricket email today:

quote:

Former Australia fast bowler Nathan Bracken explains why he has has decided to go into politics. Bracken is standing for NSW central coast seat of Dobell, currently held by former Labor MP Craig Thomson. Here's hoping he has more success than 'Lord' Ted Dexter, who stood as the Tory candidate for Cardiff South East against Jim Callaghan back in 1964. Dexter memorably told an audience of dockers and steelworkers that any of them currently contemplating which school to send their son to "should seriously consider Eton" because he "personally had met Old Etonians who were racing correspondents and bookmakers". Dexter, who owned several Jaguars, as well as a couple of racehorses and some greyhounds, told his audience that he was, like them, "one who does work by the sweat of his brow". They didn't buy it. Callaghan's majority had been 868. By the time Dexter was done, it had risen to just under 8,000.

hahaha gently caress you ted

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I love this photo.

(via https://twitter.com/laneybret/status/369966676537647104)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Better those three than Warne selecting the team via his column in the papers again I guess.

• Locked thread