Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Regarding the earlier discussion about magic bullets. Couldn't you just sidestep the whole action economy issue by not making your magic bullets out of real bullets and just make them out of etched spent shell casings filled with reagent paste or something. That way you can still load up your revolver with your special magic ammo for the flavor effect but since game mechanically the "bullet" is just a normal command trigger preparation that doesn't actually contain any propellant or anything, there would be no doubling up on damage. It would basically be you just stuffing preparations into the cylinder of the gun for no other reason than because it's a cool place to keep them in. And maybe so you can surprise some idiot who disarms you and thinks you're done by just pulling one of your magic bullets out of your pocket and blasting them in the face without even needing to put it in the gun, since it's all theatrics anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Okasvi posted:

Regarding the earlier discussion about magic bullets. Couldn't you just sidestep the whole action economy issue by not making your magic bullets out of real bullets and just make them out of etched spent shell casings filled with reagent paste or something.

This is not how bullets work.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Deviant posted:

This is not how bullets work.

No they don't, but that's the whole point. It's not a bullet, its a command trigger magic wand that's small enough to keep in the cylinder of a revolver. It works perfectly fine outside the gun and you're just keeping it inside the gun because it's cool. Since it's not a real bullet, pulling the trigger on the gun does nothing and there's no slug going downrange so you're not doubling up on damage. I'm just pointing out that for those who want to use magic bullets because they're a cool concept instead of trying to stack combat spells on top of regular bullet damage that you can just ignore the whole can of worms and go with theatrics and still be able to describe your character swinging open their revolver and loading it up with "special" bullets even though all it does game mechanically is waste a perfectly good complex action on showboating.

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

You're in luck! The recruitment thread is open for business!

Fantastic. Submitted!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
That's actually pretty cool.

It's also really pushing me to finally make an Outlaw Star inspired character, and now I'll have to use a Caster.

I mean, freelance criminal mercenaries? Cyborg Pirates? Supernaturally good swordfighters? Ships flown by immersed pilots? Taoist Wizard Pirates? Furries?
How is that not the most Shadowrun thing ever?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ProfessorCirno posted:

Again, your perfect awesome character who is the best at Shadowrun and the pinnacle of all thigns Shadowrun is "a walking gun, like you know in the original Transformers when Megatron would just turn into a gun and it was pointless because a gun has no actual character? That, but I have legs."

And uh, sure, I guess? I can link to my character in a PBP. I think she's a pretty cool character, and mechanically good enough.

She's right here.

She's great at killing things up close and afar, one of her weapons has heavy pistol concealment so it's not too hard to sneak in, she covers both killin' poo poo and B&E rather well, and I like to think she has some flaws that give her cool character while not being super cheesy.

I mean, you are sperging way the gently caress out about being mathematically perfect at doing your one thing, except the past like three pages have been people telling you they don't loving care that you are the greatest person in the world at doing a single thing that other people can do just a bit less good then you while still being actual characters.

First of all I don't understand why you're so antagonistic, this is just a discussion and I make it clear that my views are only opinion and neither right or wrong. However you keep needling me and saying I'm sperging out for discussing the rules of a fictional game...?

Secondly, nobody except the two of us cares about this so I'll keep it brief: I checked out your character and have the following thoughts:

1. 26 attribute points, so I guess you bought up a dump stat which you blasted me for suggesting previously.
2. Skills a couple 6s and then a ton of 1s (i.e. a very narrow focus combat monster), you know, the exact same thing you said I was sperging out for suggesting.
3. Cheesy as hell Negative Qualities (Weak Immune System, mild addiction to drugs, Bad Rep).
4. My point was asking if you could make a sam that can do something an adept can't, and you didn't show me that.

I'm in no way saying your character is bad because I think it's perfectly fine and the story is good, but your hypocrisy is ridiculous even by goon standards.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 23, 2013

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Why are those negative qualities cheesy as hell?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Cabbit posted:

Why are those negative qualities cheesy as hell?

Mild drug addiction - only happens once a month, should never affect business. Negative side effects are minimal anyway.
Bad Rep - 3 points of Notoriety, very little actual game balance issues related to that. Also who cares if you have a bad rep, you're a criminal. Notoriety actually has no penalty unless a GM enforces it by their own choice.
Weak Immune System - Increase Disease Power by +2. There are currently no Disease rules.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I'm using weak immune system for my decker, along with a severe allergy to antibiotics. It's because he's sickly and was practically bedridden as a teenager. I didn't think doing that was cheesy.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Bigass Moth posted:

Bad Rep - 3 points of Notoriety, very little actual game balance issues related to that. Also who cares if you have a bad rep, you're a criminal. Notoriety actually has no penalty unless a GM enforces it by their own choice.

Coming out of the gate being labeled as someone who has sold 'Runners down the river for a corporation before strongly influences how other players and characters deal with you. While it's only a number for the purposes of determining dice rolls, the roleplaying elements involved are where this comes into play. Your dialogue with NPCs and other players is going to be vastly different if everyone is always suspicious of your intent and your promises (well, more than other criminals).

Essentially Bad Rep influences what options are available to you, not the numbers.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Bigass Moth posted:

Mild drug addiction - only happens once a month, should never affect business. Negative side effects are minimal anyway.
Weak Immune System - Increase Disease Power by +2. There are currently no Disease rules.

So what you meant to say was that you think they're overvalued. Okay.

Though 'no penalty unless a GM enforces it by their own choice' describes, like, almost half of tabletop gaming. Having a severe shellfish allergy has no penalty unless a GM enforces it, because presumably a dude knows to avoid shellfish.

When I think 'cheesy', I think 'Street Samurai with Incompetent (Acting)'.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 23, 2013

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Gonna Break this down into digestible bits.

ProfessorCirno posted:

I sincerely cannot imagine a game where this is true. Where your guy who literally cannot use electronics or talk to other living beings can somehow be a good thing because "I had to specialize!" If you make someone who is that far gone, any GM who doesn't veto it outright or consistently tag you in your glaring weaknesses is doing you a disservice.

Again, all you've made is a walking wall with a gun sticking out of it. In any situation where that isn't helpful, you are at best watching the rest of the group play, and at worse you are an active hindrance because you over-specialized.

Really, that's the problem I see with both you guys. You are way, way over-specializing. Runners work as a group, but that doesn't mean nobody is ever going to talk to you, or that you'll never have to do some jogging or be sneaky. And how would you play this character? Because I don't see characters from these. I see stat blocks in the shape of giant penises.

Lets start by saying: There is no 'stat block in the shape of a penis' in the characters posted so far, so any penis you are seeing is one of your own making. I personally know Dirty Cajun and when he discusses new builds, he only gets an erection and starts wildly masturbating 3 times out of 10.

Take the scenario where, instead of Logic and Charisma at 1, we have Logic and Charisma at 3 starting. It means jack, diddly, and squat. Are you also investing into logic and charisma skills, or defaulting? Lets say you optimize and put a single rank (for 2 karma) into every skill you want. Your pools are 1+3, or 4. 4 dice. You are not going to succeed on any social check without a boatload of positive modifiers to help you out. Your matrix actions will be terrible and routinely fail against Rating 2 firewalls. In short, what did you gain in practical terms, in terms of success on actions in gameplay? Absolutely nothing.

You could build, via cyberware or magic, a character with decent dice pools in a variety of things. A sort of ultimate generalist, who uses Edge to boost rolls when needed. Thats a form of character optimization too, so I presume you think optimization is A-OK as long as its only towards that specific archetype? But of course, all others must be punished via GM fiat, because there is only one way to play Shadowrun.

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's the same bullshit I see at Dumpshock and from one dude at RPG.net. I see statblocks that have never and likely will never see an actual game, that only work under specific parameters or that ignore large swathes of rules. It's a bunch of spherical cows.

You're not at Dumpshock, we're all not the one dude at RPG.net. I've seen many characters at Missions play so far (granted I've only GM'ed 7 sessions of 5E Missions now), and so far much of the gameplay advice is toxic adversarial bullshit.

At what point do I declare a character free of the "I inflict bullshit on you, specifically, because I don't like your build" mandate? Do I just gently caress the run for everyone at the table, and say to myself, "Good job, you really punished CyberMurderDwarf2000k/Strength1ElfMage/Charisma2Decker by forcing him to make and flub that <blank> roll, too bad that for the punishment to matter it had to effect the run, and hence everyone else in the group. I bet they learned not to game with that guy again." (HINT: They learned not to let the GM be their GM again.)

If I want to highlight "Cybermurderdwarf, you have no social skills" I can complicate life for the character, but ultimately its not going to effect the rest of the run, because its a spoiler for everyone else otherwise. It has to somehow be specific to that character, and in general, I have to be the one to instigate something and ask for a check. The character with terrible skills in regards to a task is not going to be volunteering to take it on.

I can highlighting weaknesses in character which can lead to great roleplay and is fun for the table, but so far all of the advice was of the "gently caress that guy." nature; that is just really terrible advice.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Overspecialized characters are the #1 most common mistake new SR players make, especially combat monsters. You're committing yourself to spending a lot time just watching other people play the game because even just having you around is a liability.

In the last 4E game I ran, one of the players made a dyed-in-the-wool physical adept combat monster. Maxed out agility, ares alpha, muscle toner, improved ability, the usual. You know what his most valuable skill was?

Hardware.

There were way more times when the group's ability to complete a run hinged on his ability to hack open maglock's than that he was real good at killing people.

Ok? For your game, obviously wetwork and combats are infrequent. In other games and other formats, like Shadowrun Missions, there is always 1 combat per module, and generally these things are well written so there is a variety of ways to approach a problem. If you go on a run with no mage or no decker, though, you are going to be locked out of certain options. I don't think anyone will criticize you for making a Pure Mage or Pure Decker, but if you play a Pure Street Sam, you are some kind of table pariah? That is nonsense.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 23, 2013

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I posted a recruitment thread in the Game Room a couple days ago but it sank to the bottom :) Good to see that folks have been able to find games L:)

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

While I agree with some of this, are you implying that character flaws should not impact other characters? At what point should a players poor choices start causing problems? If a character is lacking in a specific attribute, skill, or equipment by design is this off-limits for a game master to use during gameplay? Highlighting a murdertroll's lack of social skills may be unimportant during a firefight, but if you're trying to interact with a character (such as getting questioned by security) this type of thing comes into play and can flummox the character and botch a specific angle of the 'Run.

If you're trying to avoid all social contact because you have a Logic, Intuition, and Charisma of one and are literally being combat-dropped into a battle and do nothing else, I suppose that's your prerogative but I couldn't expect the severe flaws of other people not to impact you (and vice versa).

Basically this:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Overspecialized characters are a real trap option, though--I firmly believe that if you can't handle at least two different situations, you're no good.

Fortunately it's not hard--most combat monsters can have stealth and acrobatics layered on top at a minimal cost, for example, and some gear options are utile without skills--but it happens. Look at Tobi in our missions game. He can only talk, (Not great at that, mind you, but that's a roleplay issue) and when combat rolls around he's not doing anything. And then we have to make a daring escape and he's not great at that. Later we're scouting out a building and he's poo poo there too. Then we need to sneak up on something and again, we've gotta leave him behind, because he can't sneak and even if he could he wouldn't be an asset once he got there undetected.

But the player's paralyzed by his view of the character (a talker) and can't think of anything else for his character to do. And what happened last session? He didn't do poo poo, except for when we needed him to roll a negotiate roll and boom, no net hits no increase in pay. One bad roll and he went from nearly useless to completely useless.

That's not great!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

PierreTheMime posted:

If you're trying to avoid all social contact because you have a Logic, Intuition, and Charisma of one and are literally being combat-dropped into a battle and do nothing else, I suppose that's your prerogative but I couldn't expect the severe flaws of other people not to impact you (and vice versa).

In 4e I had an idea for a character that had 1s in all its stats, but used all the other stuff to buy a Troll, keep it in a secured box, and stuff it full of K10 day in and day out. He didn't solve any problems, but he watched a lot of problems work themselves out.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

While I agree with some of this, are you implying that character flaws should not impact other characters? At what point should a players poor choices start causing problems?

Having a charisma of 3 and a social skill of 3 is not useful in Shadowrun. There's no need to punish people for not spending the points raising that stat and that skill to useless levels.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Okay, I think some of the issues causing friction here is that Laph runs SR Missions games at cons and whatnot (presumably that's where sanctioned events get played?) and other people here play games with friends or other goons. In a con game, you really don't get as much of the team aspect, as this is likely the only time you'll game with the majority of these people. There's less reason to worry about things other than what has practical value. All the characters need to be able to do their thing, because that's all they're going to have time to do, really.

In home games, it's a little different. The characters end up dealing with the outcomes of their actions on a longer term. You can't always get the work your team is best at. Sometimes you just kinda end up on a murderous gameshow hosted by an insane elf desperate to get back into his corp. Nobody wants to work with the guy with 1 in Logic, because he's a loving dumbass that can't remember the drat plan. Or the guy with 1 Charisma who's just in-loving-capable of talking to people without starting a fight or creeping them out.

What it comes down to is that in con games, Shadowrun is all about what makes characters awesome. It's awesome to watch a couple of hardass sams Terminator their way through 20 guards, once or twice. In home campaigns, it's all about what's wrong with your character, and how that's fun/interesting. It's fun to have the decker and the face have to come to the rescue of MurderDwarfOver9000 McGunRetailOutlet, who got pistol whipped by the world's luckiest guard. But if happens all the time, he's gonna get better at hth, or find a new team.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Having a charisma of 3 and a social skill of 3 is not useful in Shadowrun. There's no need to punish people for not spending the points raising that stat and that skill to useless levels.

Six dice can be plenty useful, depending. Remember, most low level mooks are going to have around that, too. Six dice plus whatever comes up can be you convincing your contact to put a little more effort into getting your DoomGun. Six dice might get you past that critical first set of guards, and up the elevator before the run gets loud (It's WAY easier to get up 30 floors when the decker isn't fighting for control of the elevator...) Yeah, you might have to throw edge at it, but at least you have something to throw edge AT. The face can't be everywhere, so people need to be able to at least act like they aren't a machine that builds death for five minutes. On the other hand, the face needs to be able to do thing like shoot a gun and steal a thing. Doesn't have to be GREAT at it, but even a little skill makes a difference.

Unless all NPCs are super-pro, excellent quality, MurderTrolls with 12 dice to do anything.

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 23, 2013

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

OB_Juan posted:

In home games, it's a little different. The characters end up dealing with the outcomes of their actions on a longer term. You can't always get the work your team is best at. Sometimes you just kinda end up on a murderous gameshow hosted by an insane elf desperate to get back into his corp. Nobody wants to work with the guy with 1 in Logic, because he's a loving dumbass that can't remember the drat plan. Or the guy with 1 Charisma who's just in-loving-capable of talking to people without starting a fight or creeping them out.

Logic 3 and Charisma 3 are not meaningfully better than Logic 1 and Charisma 1. Why do people have to buy them up?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Mystic Mongol posted:

I don't agree. So you should have either 12+ dice to throw or none? I don't know about you, but Etiquette and other social skills come up a lot and being unable to properly act professional, negotiate, or act in front of NPCs can be a source of major problems.

At this point though, I'm going to go ahead and accept that we can agree to disagree on this as arguing the point further would be silly. You have some valid points, but I feel that there can be shades of grey in skillsets.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I was thinking a bit more about magic bullets and the only problematic thing about them is trying to cheat on action economy and stack damage via touch spells. If you avoid doing that you can do all sorts of cool stuff with even real enchanted bullets as long as you avoid using the contact trigger.

For example, you could have a revolver and six normal bullets. You could then enchant each of the six bullets with a lightning bolt spell on a command trigger. Then you can have a revolver with 12 shots, six of which are lightning bolts and six of which are mundane bullets. You're not cheating on action economy since each lightning bolt takes a simple action to shoot as does each bullet. You're not stacking damage either. But you have essentially doubled the ammo capacity of your gun and you can do all sorts of cool combinations of mundane ammo and ranged combat spells. All you have to do is make sure you shoot the spells first before shooting the bullets, since shooting the bullet probably ruins the preparation if it hasn't been spent beforehand. Also this whole setup is functionally identical to just having six lightning bolt rings on the fingers of your gun hand, so it's not even allowing you to do anything you couldn't have done otherwise in a more boring way.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, I found out one of the big reasons characters I've made haven't been chosen for the play by post games--they're terrible. Can someone help me build a character that doesn't suck to submit to the next Shadowrun game that opens up?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Mystic Mongol posted:

Logic 3 and Charisma 3 are not meaningfully better than Logic 1 and Charisma 1. Why do people have to buy them up?

Logic 1 and Charisma 1 mean you automatically fail any checks based on those skills that you haven't put ranks that. Logic 3 and Charisma 3 give you a 56% chance to get one hit on those skills.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

I don't agree. So you should have either 12+ dice to throw or none? I don't know about you, but Etiquette and other social skills come up a lot and being unable to properly act professional, negotiate, or act in front of NPCs can be a source of major problems.

Well, you can tell me to lower my agility by 4 to raise those two stats by three, which gives an additional two thirds of a success on any logic or charmisma checks. That's still terrible, and you don't need to make checks for everyday activity. This means being polite, attending parties, engaging in normal business exchanges. You can share a drink with someone without punching them without making a roll, there's no need to say every charisma 1 character is a psycho. A logic 1 character can remember plans, he can read, he can pay his bills (maybe counting on his fingers) he can load his weapons and dress himself. You can't talk your way into a fancy dress party or pass yourself off as a socialite or convince a businessman to pay a tremendous sum of money, but honestly not every character needs to be able to do that. A logic 1 character won't be terribly interested in the world around him or be hacking the gibson, but again, not every character needs to do that.

Neither a Charisma 1 or Charisma 3 character will be able to convince a Mr. Johnson (who WILL have charisma skills, because he is management) to raise his offering price, or talk his way past a guard with even basic training, or disguise himself as a valet. There is no gain in utility.

So we've gone from Super Agile (which is incredibly useful to everything I want my character to do) to clumsy gently caress, and in exchange I've gotten.... nothing. Or Verisimilitude. And gently caress Verisimilitude.

So yeah, 12+ or nothing, if you're going to say the attributes reflect the character, then you've got to agknowledge someone with a charisma of 3 is not meaningfully more charismatic than someone with a charisma of 1, and if they don't then who gives a poo poo what the attributes are. This is the system we're playing, not some theoretical system where the difference between minimum playable and human average matters.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Having low dumpstats is fine if it's the character you want, like someone said nobody is going to question the mage or technomancer with 1 strength, or the dumbass troll with 1 Logic and 1 Charisma but who can punch through a tank. Hell, in 2E Otaku got a bonus to their mental stats if they took all Physical attributes at 1! There is almost no benefit to take Charisma at 2 instead of 1 if you are not going to be doing the talking for your group. I personally would not take an attribute at 1, but if someone else wanted to I wouldn't hold it against them.

The priority system encourages dumpstatting, and that's a mistake on Catalyst's part.

As for the guys who questioned the cheesiness of the negative qualities earlier - you can take whatever qualities you feel fit your character but mechanically if they have no real negatives I believe it's fair to question their game balance.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Bigass Moth posted:

Having low dumpstats is fine if it's the character you want, like someone said nobody is going to question the mage or technomancer with 1 strength, or the dumbass troll with 1 Logic and 1 Charisma but who can punch through a tank. Hell, in 2E Otaku got a bonus to their mental stats if they took all Physical attributes at 1! There is almost no benefit to take Charisma at 2 instead of 1 if you are not going to be doing the talking for your group. I personally would not take an attribute at 1, but if someone else wanted to I wouldn't hold it against them.

The priority system encourages dumpstatting, and that's a mistake on Catalyst's part.

As for the guys who questioned the cheesiness of the negative qualities earlier - you can take whatever qualities you feel fit your character but mechanically if they have no real negatives I believe it's fair to question their game balance.

I've found that even though I might have some stats lower than others with the priority system, I'm not dropping them as much as I would for the BP system. Less using them as dumpstats, and more the character having a flaw.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

BenRGamer posted:

So, I found out one of the big reasons characters I've made haven't been chosen for the play by post games--they're terrible. Can someone help me build a character that doesn't suck to submit to the next Shadowrun game that opens up?

Whatcha tryin' to make?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

MohawkSatan posted:

I've found that even though I might have some stats lower than others with the priority system, I'm not dropping them as much as I would for the BP system. Less using them as dumpstats, and more the character having a flaw.

Same, I have two 2's. But I'd never make anything with 1's, it just feels like terrible munchkin'ing.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Mystic Mongol posted:

Whatcha tryin' to make?

Eh, I've been trying to make a little of everything.

I've submitted an Illusionist Mage (On a gimmick that was called terrible here)
I've submitted a cybersamurai (With terrible initiative, I've been told)
I've submitted a Rigger (before I learned that autosofts existed/how much they cost)

:negative:

How about a Technomancer? Would one of those not suck?

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Talmonis posted:

Same, I have two 2's. But I'd never make anything with 1's, it just feels like terrible munchkin'ing.

I've actually got a zero in a stat now that I think of it: had to burn edge session before last to stay alive. The raid on another gang's HQ didn't go so well, and now we've got two gangers(an NPC and my character) with cyberskulls taken from Humanis backed jerks.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

BenRGamer posted:

Nope.

(Well, there are some weird tricks you can do with them but if you're strugging to get started I wouldn't go there.)

Do you want the Illusionist, the Sam, or the Rigger?

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

BenRGamer posted:

I've submitted a Rigger (before I learned that autosofts existed/how much they cost)

Give us an idea of what you actually want, and we can help.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

MohawkSatan posted:

I've actually got a zero in a stat now that I think of it: had to burn edge session before last to stay alive. The raid on another gang's HQ didn't go so well, and now we've got two gangers(an NPC and my character) with cyberskulls taken from Humanis backed jerks.

0 Edge. Mother of god. Better hope the dice gods love you chummer, or you're up poo poo's creek.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES

Laphroaig posted:

Gonna Break this down into digestible bits.
I personally know Dirty Cajun and when he discusses new builds, he only gets an erection and starts wildly masturbating 3 times out of 10.

This is pretty true. I really am not trying to do anything at the moment other than create things that test just exactly how far I can take this system and the implications of these far flung variants.

I am not trying to start arguments, I am not trying to make you feel bad about what you eventually choose to do. I am here to test my ideas through actual gameplay and do crazy fun stuff because that is the kind of guy I am. I will mirror shades to death but in the end I am the first guy to throw a plan out the window and let my pink mohawk fly.

This is an elf game people and you guys need to stop doing to things in this thread: Getting mad about elf games (this includes being needlessly antagonistic) and grogging out while edition warring. There is a difference between pointing out a better build option and calling people out as idiots for honest mistakes. There is a difference between saying "hey, the older edition did this why did we change?" and "I hate this new edition I have not played gently caress you guys for having fun"

My two cents on dump stats: really charisma for not the face or secondary face feels pretty weak BUT maybe you wanted to have one actual contact? This is a way to do it. Maybe logic at 1 makes no sense because your character has a little specialized knowledge in his field of training. The free points in knowledge and professional skills make sense here, same goes for contacts. I personally am making builds with dumpstats because I am making extreme examples of things right now. Priorities means I can't do everything so I shouldn't try, unless I am making Mr. Clean edge build that does everything because why the gently caress not. Feel free to criticize my choices but just understand I am trying to actively push the boundaries of how this system works. My actual in play character is a punk singing face adept who happens to also be able to shoot a gun and not suck. It isn't the best at everything, but I did specialize and then make sure I could actually be in a fire fight. I like being able to be useful in some capacity at all times because I like to play the game.

I suggest everybody just cool off and just go and play with this game for a bit (and try not to let the poor edit job bog down the fun, it is still shadowrun and it is still a blast) before we get all super angry about each other's choices in an elf game.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Just how dim/ugly are you with 1 logic/charisma?
I'd always assumed you were completely and utterly awful. Like, worse than a goon. Like having to deal with :tvtropes: constantly?

Edit
Like, people (Johnsons and Contacts ans everyone) will try to sabotage you or half rear end things because you're just that irritating.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 23, 2013

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
To be honest, I like the idea of a Rigger/Street Samurai, who can either use drones or fight directly and have drones back them up.

Though any tips you could give me at all would be good. What's a good initiative to aim for, for example? I had 6 +2d6 on my street samurai... and that was apparently terrible.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
If you start out by replacing a bunch of your organs and skin with used cyber-chunks, and then once you can afford it you replace those bits with sleek, sweet deltaware, is there any way to 're-grow' the difference in Essence?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

BenRGamer posted:

To be honest, I like the idea of a Rigger/Street Samurai, who can either use drones or fight directly and have drones back them up.

Though any tips you could give me at all would be good. What's a good initiative to aim for, for example? I had 6 +2d6 on my street samurai... and that was apparently terrible.

I'd say somewhere between 8-10 before you add cyber/bio, depending on what you're thinking of taking priority wise. Then jack your reaction up further with enhancers and/or wired reflexes.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Used to be gene therapy. Gotta wait for the new cybertech book to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Mystic Mongol posted:

So yeah, 12+ or nothing, if you're going to say the attributes reflect the character, then you've got to agknowledge someone with a charisma of 3 is not meaningfully more charismatic than someone with a charisma of 1, and if they don't then who gives a poo poo what the attributes are. This is the system we're playing, not some theoretical system where the difference between minimum playable and human average matters.

I guess it depends on the type of game your group plays. If that works where you're playing, cool.

dirtycajun posted:

I suggest everybody just cool off and just go and play with this game for a bit (and try not to let the poor edit job bog down the fun, it is still shadowrun and it is still a blast) before we get all super angry about each other's choices in an elf game.

Probably true. Less mad, more... confused, I guess?

BenRGamer posted:

I like technomancers, but they do start a little weak compared to deckers. They can be fun, though.

I missed the mage, what was his gimmick? Was it an addiction to Psyche?
Sams kinda need that init. Wired reflexes, and solid stats are how that happens (or that bioware version)
Riggers can get costy.

Which do you want to play?

Edit:

BenRGamer posted:

The problem with that guy is that he might have to split his actions up between fighting and giving the drones instructions. Not impossible to deal with, but it IS a complication. Also, skills are likely to be all over the place. The upside is that he's a fighter that can do a fair amount of spying remotely, which could be cool. There could be a way to make it work, but it's likely to take a while to get all the stats and gear together to do it well.

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 23, 2013