Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
It's easier to balance encounters in a game where the developer can assume that the player has full or near full health.

Or game devs are lazy and gamers are babies, depending on how hung up on outdated design philosophy you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetgrinder
Jun 29, 2002
Not stupid, advanced.
http://mashable.com/2013/08/22/mtv-vmas-seating-chart-gift-bags/

quote:

Celebrities, nominees, presenters and performers will get a gift bag filled with swag from local business. This is the first time Brooklyn will host the awards show.

Notably, the bags include the Kickstarter-backed Ouya gaming console.

Taylor Swift is gonna get an Ouya she doesn't even want before some Kickstarter backers get theirs lol.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Daft Punk is going to have an OUYA. I don't think I want them to play at my house anymore.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Waffleman_ posted:

Daft Punk is going to have an OUYA. I don't think I want them to play at my house anymore.
After receiving that gift bag, I guess you could say they "Got UNlucky!"

:v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Touch, I remember touch. The pad didn't work much. A controller in my hand.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Apparently they were also handing Ouyas out at Gamescom like they were candy. I know a dozen people who went (from different walks of life, some journos, some gamedevs, some indies, some students) and all of them got a free Ouya.

So some backers still don't have theirs and they're giving them out to people who don't even want them? Great stuff, Julie.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

No. loving. Way.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

OatmealRaisin posted:

It's easier to balance encounters in a game where the developer can assume that the player has full or near full health.

Or game devs are lazy and gamers are babies, depending on how hung up on outdated design philosophy you are.

Good game design is never outdated.

Dec 26, 2012

I assume the rationale here was that it was cheap and new? I'm not seeing another one.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

01011001 posted:

I assume the rationale here was that it was cheap and new? I'm not seeing another one.

My cat puts a lot of cheap and new turds in the litterbox every day, but you don't see me sticking them in gift bags.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

serewit posted:

My cat puts a lot of cheap and new turds in the litterbox every day, but you don't see me sticking them in gift bags.

Well maybe you should run a Kickstarter for that.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

Morglon posted:

Well maybe you should run a Kickstarter for that.

GET SOME

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

Because having limited health packs requires designers to put more thought into level design and players to put more thought into playing

Neither side wants that to happen

Could also be that going into a huge battle setpiece with 5% health is never fun, but yeah I guess what you said makes more sense since that's how FPSes were when I was 12.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

raditts posted:

Could also be that going into a huge battle setpiece with 5% health is never fun, but yeah I guess what you said makes more sense since that's how FPSes were when I was 12.

We've discussed this in the early fps megathread a good bit, but getting rid of health packs is a large part of why games have become such simple corridor shooters. A big reason to explore was to get those hidden pickups that would help you survive the next fight. Without those payoffs, most players just B-line to the next objective, so now games are designed for you to do that. Comparing games like Doom and Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior to Modern Warfare, the levels were mazes with hidden objects everywhere for you to back-track and explore through. But on the other hand too much backtracking to find where that red keycard goes is boring.

The reason why it happened is as was said; its much easier for level designers. It takes a ton of playtesting to make sure a level with health pickups is balanced, not too easy but not too hard. Different people are going to get stuck in places, just like you said, where you now have 5% health to continue. Regenerating health means every encounter can be designed to be played with full health, and the testing and balance are simpler, each fight stands on its own.

Honestly death itself as a mechanic is something we should probably rethink, in a lot of cases having to replay a section is just frustrating. There should be other penalties and there should be enough incentives we don't even need penalties. Catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

But if you'd like to continue that discussion join us in the Early FPS Megathread. :cheeky:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

JazzFlight posted:

After receiving that gift bag, I guess you could say they "Got UNlucky!"

:v:

The Game of Love is the only game you need on OUYA. Because the OUYA store is currently down

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shine posted:

Badgers badgers badgers badgers badgers badgers badgers badgers badgers badgers badgers badgers OUYA OUYA badgers badgers badgers badgers

OUYA: All your Game are belong to us.

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

Because having limited health packs requires designers to put more thought into level design and players to put more thought into playing

Neither side wants that to happen

Next you're going to suggest levels shouldn't be linear with the occasional open room to run/drive/fly around for a false sense of freedom.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

raditts posted:

I'm pretty sure that any remotely competent design team would give you health/ammo pickups before a huge battle set piece but yeah I guess poorly designed games aren't very fun, who knew?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Is anyone here besides XBP a donator to the Ouya KS? I kinda wish I had given a dollar just to have access to the KS comments section

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Requested_Username posted:

I'm pretty sure that any remotely competent design team would give you health/ammo pickups before a huge battle set piece but yeah I guess poorly designed games aren't very fun, who knew?

Pssst...

This is effectively the same thing as regenerating health

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Pssst...

This is effectively the same thing as regenerating health

Except you get those pickups once, and then you're hosed if you get hurt. No amount of hiding will give you more health, so you have to be on your A game. One of my fondest memories of TimeSplitters 3 was trying to beat one of the later levels on the hardest difficulty. I had it figured out to the point where if I took more than 4 hits before the middle part of a certain level, it was over. There was no way I would be able to continue going with any hope of beating the level in the required amount of time to unlock whatever I was trying to get.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Sammus posted:

Except you get those pickups once, and then you're hosed if you get hurt. No amount of hiding will give you more health, so you have to be on your A game. One of my fondest memories of TimeSplitters 3 was trying to beat one of the later levels on the hardest difficulty. I had it figured out to the point where if I took more than 4 hits before the middle part of a certain level, it was over. There was no way I would be able to continue going with any hope of beating the level in the required amount of time to unlock whatever I was trying to get.

See, that's bad design.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The best design is what I played as a ten-year-old, sorry.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I tend to be someone who complains about "handholding" game design but I can kinda see why regeneration has taken the place of health packs. I mean people got jobs and poo poo in the day, who has time to hunt those down?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Sammus posted:

One of my fondest memories of TimeSplitters 3 was trying to beat one of the later levels on the hardest difficulty. I had it figured out to the point where if I took more than 4 hits before the middle part of a certain level, it was over. There was no way I would be able to continue going with any hope of beating the level in the required amount of time to unlock whatever I was trying to get.

The ouya is specifically marketed to people who would forgive awful design and choices on the part of the developers, like you.

E: fb

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Sammus posted:

What a surprising post I could not have predicted.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The ouya is specifically marketed to people who would forgive awful design and choices on the part of the developers, like you.

E: fb

Let's be fair here, we're talking about "outdated game cliches from the 90s" as opposed to the OUYA's actual bad game design of "these characters look like they were designed in MS Paint"

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Well I mean he's talking about doing something on the highest difficulty with an additional self-imposed restriction. Hell, i'm pretty sure if you tried to totally rush through a Call of Duty level on Veteran you'd probably have around 4 shots before you were dead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Let's be fair here, we're talking about "outdated game cliches from the 90s" as opposed to the OUYA's actual bad game design of "these characters look like they were designed in MS Paint"
On the other hand, sometimes outdated games from the 90s had that problem. See: Daikatana

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Alan Smithee posted:

I tend to be someone who complains about "handholding" game design but I can kinda see why regeneration has taken the place of health packs. I mean people got jobs and poo poo in the day, who has time to hunt those down?

Gamers, obviously. You'd know that if you weren't a casual with a job and obligation and all sorts of poo poo to avoid gaming.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

How about there are many schools of game design and both regenerating health and health packs are equally valid approaches to the problem of determining a failure state, provided they are designed properly. The widespread implementation of poor regenerating health systems doesn't mean the system itself is a bad idea (Halo in particular gets too much flack in the whole regenerating health talk as it was done perfectly there and in fact is still probably the best implementation of the system to date) nor does the existence of regenerating health obsolete the design paradigm of treating health as a rationed resource, as that approach has its own sets of advantages that many types of players appreciate.

Fortunately no one will have to worry about these type of things when getting an Ouya because they can just be guaranteed bad design with every acquired game!

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 24, 2013

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Uhhh except Amazing Frog has no such arbitrary health system imposing its pointless limitations on gameplay hello?!?!

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Just Cause 2 had you regenerate your health up to a certain point, but you could only get to full health with the assistance of health packs. That seems like a good compromise.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Touch, I remember touch. The pad didn't work much. A controller in my hand.

This isn't getting enough love. :v:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

TTBF posted:

Just Cause 2 had you regenerate your health up to a certain point, but you could only get to full health with the assistance of health packs. That seems like a good compromise.

Ditto Escape From Butcher Bay, where your health was divided into sections, and if you lost a whole section, you wouldn't regenerate it until you got to a healy thingy.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

sleepwalkers posted:

This isn't getting enough love. :v:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,

Ouya Logic
OUya Logic

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shine posted:

Ditto Escape From Butcher Bay, where your health was divided into sections, and if you lost a whole section, you wouldn't regenerate it until you got to a healy thingy.

Alien vs Predator (the 2010 one) did the same thing.

I don't see what the big deal is. Showbags are always full of crap you'll only play with once before tossing in the bin/back of a closet.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't see what the big deal is. Showbags are always full of crap you'll only play with once before tossing in the bin/back of a closet.

I don't get why it's in there in the first place. Isn't it all supposed to be local poo poo from Brooklyn?

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
The Ouya is infinitely valuable, as it represents the dreams and ideas of Real Gamers(tm) to take down the BIG THREE worldwide.

It's also worth slightly less then whatever your local jurisdiction sets the minimum bar for import tax at.

The Unconsole triumphs.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Shine posted:

Ditto Escape From Butcher Bay, you wouldn't regenerate it until you got to a healy thingy.
The step between health packs and regenerative health was activating wall units (Half Life). The result was levels became streamlined and didn't suffer from players getting frustrated over backtracking for keys and switches. As a result of loosing that, exploration was converted into mostly novelty easter egg hunts (Riddick has you finding packs of smokes).

BogDew fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I can't say I ever actively sought out health packs if I was low on health. I just hoped the design would carry me through it and I'd eventually find some.

Or quick save/quick load abuse which is really hard to resist in PC shooters.

• Locked thread