Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I made a long rear end nose out of the exploding blocks so I could ram pirates for laughs..

But strangely, they exploded in a weird pattern that left me with a wrench type shape at the tip. This tip got caught on the BACK of a pirate ship and sort of held it in position and let me sort of carry it around...

===(enemy)]

Now I want to build a gently caress-all large ship that just traps other ships inside...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

GentlemansSleepover posted:

Can I do anything useful with all the crap I get from salvaging a planet? I'm obsessed with the idea of just making a massively wide salvage ship and collecting whole planets, but I'd also like to know if there's any point to keeping the dirt/ice blocks and all that.

Some of the recipes you can get from pirate stations will turn planet stuff into other stuff, so if you get lucky you'll be able to turn your loot into some level 5 minerals or ship parts or something.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

GentlemansSleepover posted:

Can I do anything useful with all the crap I get from salvaging a planet? I'm obsessed with the idea of just making a massively wide salvage ship and collecting whole planets, but I'd also like to know if there's any point to keeping the dirt/ice blocks and all that.

Amass 5000 of a block type you want, take it to a shop and make a recipe, if you can get something good like a recipe that builds antimatter cannons out of dirt then you have something to do with the planet you salvaged.

With the way that factories were redone it's hard to say whether or not minerals really have any decent place in starmade anymore.

Kharmakazy posted:

Now I want to build a gently caress-all large ship that just traps other ships inside...

The problems with a ship like this are how big you'd have to make it, and how much lag it would create with two giant ships colliding with eachother. Having said that I do have plans for such a ship.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Kharmakazy posted:

I have been playing with a ship that makes use of the 'feature' that a docking beam can cycle the plexdoor attached to another ship. I made a combat ship with a docking module on the front and then docked a ship made entirely of plexdoors in the shape of a hook. I 'open' the plexdoors and find a pirate, snuggle up close, hit the plexdoor with my docking beam of my combat ship, and presto I have a plexdoor inside the pirate ship that I can use to drag or push the poor bastard wherever I want.

biomatter
Aug 14, 2013

HughGRect posted:

I have been playing with a ship that makes use of the 'feature' that a docking beam can cycle the plexdoor attached to another ship. I made a combat ship with a docking module on the front and then docked a ship made entirely of plexdoors in the shape of a hook. I 'open' the plexdoors and find a pirate, snuggle up close, hit the plexdoor with my docking beam of my combat ship, and presto I have a plexdoor inside the pirate ship that I can use to drag or push the poor bastard wherever I want.

Holy poo poo that is hilarious. Can we get pics/.sment files?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Be careful, you can kill a server doing that. It causes a lot of collisions, especially if you do it wrong. Even if you do it right with moving objects there's a pretty good chance things can end up terrible.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yea I've been experimenting with poo poo like that to keep people from running away, so far it seems like it will end up in one of the two ships warping out of collision after some client crushing lag unless they are of very similar mass or one ship is much less massive.. in which case there's just server crushing lag.

Better than nothing though!!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Minerals have a place, lava is a great decorative outer hull (and probably would discourage boarders :3:).

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey can someone post those "Must have infinite resource" Blueprints? like the blocks of thrusters etc, etc.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if anyone has a blueprint for the giant cube that does half a million dps and cloaks I'd appreciate that as well

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Server is back up, sorry for the downtime.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

zennik posted:

Server is back up, sorry for the downtime.

No problems here, you're better than most admins I've dealt with :)

But I had to entertain myself with Spore for a while :gonk:

soy posted:

if anyone has a blueprint for the giant cube that does half a million dps and cloaks I'd appreciate that as well

Somehow I'd wager that's a Professor design. You'd have to steal one of their ships like our favorite :spergin: did.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
I found an abandoned ship close to Eden base. If its yours PM me and you can have it back. It was in a planet so I just think it was put there to be protected.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Is it not possible to launch missiles vertically?

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

AirborneNinja posted:

Is it not possible to launch missiles vertically?

I think it should be possible now due to the patch but not sure.

Also to Goonfleet I have been on an incursion/pirating habit bringing ships to the base. Feel free to use them and repair them except for the Hyperion. That is my mother ship for the invasion when it happens. Happy hunting.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Angle your missile computer downwards and make sure you are entering the computer instead of the ship core and it should work fine.

e: yes you orient computers downwards to fire upwards through them, it's kind of weird.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
With slower big ships and a lower speed cap overall(or a massive speed buff to missiles) then giant arrays of non-front pointing missiles would be wonderful, but I don't really see them being viable.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
Well just logged into the c3w server for the first time. Went to build a ship (my first ever) and someone immediately dismantled it and stole all the parts. Apparently there is a high demand for thrusters and power because I wasn't even able to buy any from the shop. Is there anyway to get myself the parts I need or am I doomed to stay on this shop until someone decides to sell their components?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Kizurue posted:

Well just logged into the c3w server for the first time. Went to build a ship (my first ever) and someone immediately dismantled it and stole all the parts. Apparently there is a high demand for thrusters and power because I wasn't even able to buy any from the shop. Is there anyway to get myself the parts I need or am I doomed to stay on this shop until someone decides to sell their components?

You're probably screwed if you don't have any cash. If you do, just spawn in a block of thrusters and claim them for yourself.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

lohli posted:

a lower speed cap overall

Keep in mind that the speed cap is 100% dependent on the server.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
their was a ship named MAC around Eden. It was a long range cannon I was trying to work on. I would like it back please or a story of what happen to it.

e. Also Jimmy can you set everyone to enemy and faction standings not shoot nuets then? that way I can put my turrents on shoot turrents and it will not shoot me in space?

darthzeta88 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 26, 2013

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
Why are your turrets shooting you? Just pop a faction block in them and they won't shoot you or anything friendly?

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

LuciferMorningstar posted:

You're probably screwed if you don't have any cash. If you do, just spawn in a block of thrusters and claim them for yourself.

My guy still has around 40k but how do I spawn thrusters when I have none and the shop I am standing on has none?

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

Kizurue posted:

My guy still has around 40k but how do I spawn thrusters when I have none and the shop I am standing on has none?

Load a small, complete ship from the catalog with thrusters.

If there isn't one in the catalog just make one in sandbox mode, save it to local and then upload it from local on the server.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

Smoking_Dragon posted:

Load a small, complete ship from the catalog with thrusters.

If there isn't one in the catalog just make one in sandbox mode, save it to local and then upload it from local on the server.

Got it! Thanks!

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

eviljimmy posted:

Why are your turrets shooting you? Just pop a faction block in them and they won't shoot you or anything friendly?

Its kinda a known bug that they do have faction module, my other ship has faction module but when I get out I am a neutral till I die. Works ok in attack ships mode but not attack turrets mode since people are considered turrets.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
So I spent 6 hours working on my new ship today...only to realize when I stuck a cockpit on it that I'd built the WHOLE GODDAMN THING backwards. Which means the "front" of the ship had the engines on it. I was rather frustrated. :negative:

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

D34THROW posted:

So I spent 6 hours working on my new ship today...only to realize when I stuck a cockpit on it that I'd built the WHOLE GODDAMN THING backwards. Which means the "front" of the ship had the engines on it. I was rather frustrated. :negative:

This happens to us all... :suicide:

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

BERGfu posted:

This happens to us all... :suicide:

Worry not! An intrepid programmer at the StarMade forums has a solution, an alpha of a starmade ship editor.

As per this thread, download this java app, and this file too.

Copy the jo_sm.jar file into the root of your starmade folder, then make a folder called "jo_plugins". Copy the jofilemods.jar folder in there.

What can you do with this thing:
  • Paint a ship or give it a pattern
  • Move the ship core somewhere else
  • Rotate the ship 90 or 180 degrees in any direction (if you hosed up ship core orientation)
  • Scale a ship up or down x blocks in any axis
  • Replace 'soft' hull with 'hard hull'
  • Automatically replace cubes with the appropriate slope blocks on edges
  • Import .obj models without having to convert to voxels first (super buggy)

You have to either have the ship saved in your local catalog, or have a downloaded blueprint, in order to use it. It doesn't seem to like blueprints as much as the .smd2 object files in the "blueprints" folder, so if it doesn't open your preferred blueprint, you may need to click "Open..." and browse the folder tree for it.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

48 Hour Boner posted:

Worry not! An intrepid programmer at the StarMade forums has a solution, an alpha of a starmade ship editor.

Copy the jo_sm.jar file into the root of your starmade folder, then make a folder called "jo_plugins". Copy the jofilemods.jar folder in there.

What can you do with this thing:
  • Paint a ship or give it a pattern
  • Move the ship core somewhere else
  • Rotate the ship 90 or 180 degrees in any direction
  • Scale a ship up or down x blocks in any axis
  • Replace 'soft' hull with 'hard hull'
  • Automatically replace cubes with the appropriate slope blocks on edges
  • Import .obj models without having to convert to voxels first (super buggy)

You have to either have the ship saved in your local catalog, or have a downloaded blueprint, in order to use it. It doesn't seem to like blueprints as much as the .smd2 object files in the "blueprints" folder, so if it doesn't open your preferred blueprint, you may need to click "Open..." and browse the folder tree for it.

Holy poo poo that's useful. Moving the ship core around alone will be insanely handy. Thanks!

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Kizurue posted:

Got it! Thanks!

Or, come join us on my server! We can get you setup in a system away from the newbies spawning right in, so you can build in peace.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

48 Hour Boner posted:

This sounds ridiculously helpful.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

New patch is out, server is being updated and will be back online shortly.

Among many bug fixes, they have introduced a new feature: Personal Shops.

That's right, you can have your very own shop with your own special inventory. Prices can be set to credits, or even other blocks!

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Server rolled back, for now. New patch makes all stations and planets magically vanish.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

aannnd, updated to the new version with the hotfix. Everything works now, yaaay

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
Anybody else seem to think the credits and blueprint system is currently broken? It is pretty easy getting credits and just instaspawning what was lost. I think instead of credits you need the required blocks. Of course material farming right now is not the easiest thing.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

darthzeta88 posted:

Anybody else seem to think the credits and blueprint system is currently broken? It is pretty easy getting credits and just instaspawning what was lost. I think instead of credits you need the required blocks. Of course material farming right now is not the easiest thing.

Welcome to the alpha. You should post this comment or something similar in the dev blog or forums so they can actually implement a system that doesn't have as many loop holes. A running joke when we first started was to have square brick of whatever blocks you needed and spawn and take apart to build whatever.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah nothing has any value really on top of the fact that there's several exploits to get unlimited money etc..

I think in the long run if you want an economy with any sense of scarcity you would have to do it on a per-server basis probably with modding.. and the blueprint system would need to be disabled entirely as it stands..

But yeah it's alpha so what do you expect. As with most games like this you should probably just enjoy whatever is available now because chances are the devs are going to work on implementing random pet project features for the next 10 years anyways.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I like the blueprint system in some ways. I really, really like the idea that the ship I spent 9 hours working on won't get interrupted halfway or immediately destroyed in five seconds and all that design time will be lost. The only thing it REALLY needs is either a shift from "press butan, spend cradit, reciv bote" or to have credits be harder to get. I like the idea of blueprints it just needs the details ironed out.

But, again, it's alpha software, I'm not going to complain, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I like the blueprint system in some ways. I really, really like the idea that the ship I spent 9 hours working on won't get interrupted halfway or immediately destroyed in five seconds and all that design time will be lost. The only thing it REALLY needs is either a shift from "press butan, spend cradit, reciv bote" or to have credits be harder to get. I like the idea of blueprints it just needs the details ironed out.

But, again, it's alpha software, I'm not going to complain, really.

Make it so that buying a blueprint has to be done at a "ship factory", either playermade or spawned during generation. The ship factory can produce the type of blocks used by a blueprint to construct it, and it should take time based on number of blocks and cost. However it could also use blocks from your inventory first, then stockpiled blocks from the factory, then blocks from the factory as they're being created. Perhaps an option to purchase resources from nearby player shops too. EDIT: Perhaps ship factories could be placed on large ships themselves? Carrier swarms...

Just being able to spend credits to respawn a ship is where the huge exploit is. That's basically just on-demand instant block duplication. Removing that means of convenience means that the larger the ship, the more time and money has to be invested. It also means people can't just instantly respawn their 500k space dicks at a whim.

edit: Oh and schema should look at a way to have same colour hull blocks come under the same ID, and use metadata to determine if it's a block/slope/corner. Some more types of hull blocks would be nice too, like inner corner blocks, diagonal slanted blocks etc. to help make smoother looking surfaces.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 27, 2013

• Locked thread