Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Sydney Bottocks posted:

At the end of the 50th anniversary special, David Tennant is going to turn to the camera and sneer "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated" at the audience before storming off. :v:

I don't know what Moffat is going to do in three years time now that he's moved the 10th Anniversary episode forward to this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't know what Moffat is going to do in three years time now that he's moved the 10th Anniversary episode forward to this year.

Well, he is the guy who invented the catchphrase "timey wimey," as well as the guy who knows he's the cleverest writer in showbusiness. Just one step further to take it to the meta level and claim that the 10th anniversary is really this year because of wibbly wobbly spoiler reasons.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Im still hoping that Due to time war shenanigans that John Hurt Regenerates into Peter Capaldi and Nine, ten and Eleven disappear in some sort of Temporal non-existence. That would be the Ultimate troll move ever from Moffat. You know that show you enjoyed the past many years It never happened.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Chairman Capone posted:

Well, he is the guy who invented the catchphrase "timey wimey," as well as the guy who knows he's the cleverest writer in showbusiness. Just one step further to take it to the meta level and claim that the 10th anniversary is really this year because of wibbly wobbly spoiler reasons.

I don't like some of Moffat's "cleverness," but I think celebrating the 10th anniversary prematurely because it's a show based on a time traveler would be actually kinda funny.

(Speaking of Moffat trolling...)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It appears that one of the stuntworkers has accidentally revealed that the Cybermen will be in the Christmas special:

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/27135/has-the-doctor-who-christmas-special-monster-been-revealed

This doesn't necessarily mean they're going to feature prominently, but I'd say odds are that they're the major villain in Matt Smith's swansong.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It'd be a nice parallel to the First Doctor.

Wish I could be excited though.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Seems the hair will be back as well, as there are clips of him talking about what a nightmare wearing a wig for the Christmas Special will be. At least he'll now have something to talk about with Paul McGann.

Also, by my count this will now be the third regeneration story in which the lead actor wears a wig, following the grand tradition of Time and the Rani and the TV Movie. interesting doctor who factsTM

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

T-Bakes may also have been wearing a wig in his regeneration story, come to think of it. he was ill a lot of the last season and had to wear one because his hair had lost its insane frizziness.

Uh oh we're on wigchat again!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Hartnell wore a wig for something like 130 episodes, so I think McGann and Smith just need to man up a little.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bicyclops posted:

It appears that one of the stuntworkers has accidentally revealed that the Cybermen will be in the Christmas special:

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/27135/has-the-doctor-who-christmas-special-monster-been-revealed

This doesn't necessarily mean they're going to feature prominently, but I'd say odds are that they're the major villain in Matt Smith's swansong.

Yawn. Hopefully they'll just be a bit part joke like they've often been recently, because they haven't once been interesting in the revival (no, not even the bit in The Pandorica Opens).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

Yawn. Hopefully they'll just be a bit part joke like they've often been recently, because they haven't once been interesting in the revival (no, not even the bit in The Pandorica Opens).

I don't know why anyone find the bit in The Pandorica Opens because it goes against what is actually interesting about the Cybermen by making it a robot that can exist even without the human insides.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've said this in the main thread and I'll say it here.

gently caress what New Who has done to the Cybermen.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't know why anyone find the bit in The Pandorica Opens because it goes against what is actually interesting about the Cybermen by making it a robot that can exist even without the human insides.

Well, that was more an emergency program. I agree it'd be stupid, but that's not really what they did.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Burkion posted:

I've said this in the main thread and I'll say it here.

gently caress what New Who has done to the Cybermen.

At least they do not have a weakness to gold and prats gold stars.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bobkatt013 posted:

(Looks at Silver Nemesis)

gently caress it so very hard.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Jesus CHRIST just film Spare Parts already, dipshits.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Wasn't the weakness to gold a plot point in the Gaiman episode? (I honestly don't remember)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn't the weakness to gold a plot point in the Gaiman episode? (I honestly don't remember)

Yes, but it was explained as being an old exploit in the Cybermen's operating system that the Doctor could only exploit because it was in a vulnerable state due to trying to control him.

Because the Cybermen, like the Daleks, are basically just robots now.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

Yes, but it was explained as being an old exploit in the Cybermen's operating system that the Doctor could only exploit because it was in a vulnerable state due to trying to control him.

Because the Cybermen, like the Daleks, are basically just robots now.

Do I even need to say gently caress It at this point?

I just, there is SO MUCH you can do with the Cybermen!

The last good story with them, outside of audios, should not have been 30 something goddamn years ago!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion posted:

The last good story with them, outside of audios, should not have been 30 something goddamn years ago!

It wasn't.

It was forty years ago.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Cyberman have been crappy since the Fourth Doctor era anyway. The "Excellent!" Cybermen were about the silliest recurring villains.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Bicyclops posted:

The "Excellent!" Cybermen were about the silliest recurring villains.

True. But even so, I'd take them over "Delete!" Cybermen any loving day.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'm surprised no-one mentioned the news about Romana being cast in big finish audios

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Little_wh0re posted:

I'm surprised no-one mentioned the news about Romana being cast in big finish audios

Juliet Landau?

Edit if this is some big old who person, sorry :(

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Little_wh0re posted:

I think it has been mentioned, here or the main thread. Or maybe IRC.

It's the first time I've seen the costume, though. Love it. Imagine her showing up like that on the show, with half the viewers not knowing who she is. Something else we can wish was a clever cover for the show.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
It'd be great if every time Romana shows up she's trolling a different one of the Doctor's costumes, then acts confused if he asks about it.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

The "Movie Poster" for The Day of The Doctor was just released:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bad Wolf? :what:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Timby posted:

Bad Wolf? :what:

Rose is back like Frankenstein, baby.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

10's pointy "front hair spike" is turned down. poo poo just got real.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tomtrek posted:

The "Movie Poster" for The Day of The Doctor was just released:

I kind hope that the Christmas Special is also titled in the ________ of the Doctor format. Make is a loose trilogy of sorts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dirt posted:

10's pointy "front hair spike" is turned down. poo poo just got real.

Wasn't Tennant's hair down for pretty much the entirety of the second season? I don't recall him getting all spiky until he started running around with Martha.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Timby posted:

Wasn't Tennant's hair down for pretty much the entirety of the second season? I don't recall him getting all spiky until he started running around with Martha.

I think you're right actually.

I guess in my mind he was always spikey. Ha.

That poster has me all excited again.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

When the bbc first announced Tennant was coming back they just tweeted an image of him right after losing rose where he had the hair down. So this MIGHT be in between the period where he loses Rose and then burns up a star, or it might just be me over thinking things.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

When the bbc first announced Tennant was coming back they just tweeted an image of him right after losing rose where he had the hair down. So this MIGHT be in between the period where he loses Rose and then burns up a star, or it might just be me over thinking things.

Rose is in this, so it will be before that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Senor Tron posted:

That's not certain. Rose got out of that dimension once before, she could do it again. Or the doctors go back and encounter her earlier on her own timeline. Or something.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I want River to be in this special only so she can slap Rose if she hits on Eleven.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I hope it's fun "I love traveling through space and time" Rose and not Bad Wolf bay realdoll Tennant Rose.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Senor Tron posted:

do you not see the BAD WOLF in the poster? Clear indication that it's Super Rose from the end of s1 making a cameo.

I hope so, I hate Rose and I need her to have as little screentime as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

I hope it's fun "I love traveling through space and time" Rose and not Bad Wolf bay realdoll Tennant Rose.

I hope even more it's not the "insufferable twee I love traveling through space and time and it's all a big joke" Rose we saw in Tooth and Claw.

• Locked thread