Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

It's also a Common, from what it's worth. Yay for not having the rare in your pack be a resource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Captain Capitalism posted:

It's also a Common, from what it's worth. Yay for not having the rare in your pack be a resource.

In Magic terms, it's basically just Evolving Wilds, a common, with a couple of differences (doesn't think your deck, you can use the color but not the mana the same term). Even though it's a 'different' game, it'd suck to open a Hex pack and have Evolving Wilds as a rare.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

This is true. It's not like an Unlimited Dual (which would be something like a 1/1 resource that you can choose from Diamond or Blood threshold), but it's not terrible in a 3 shard deck. I'm sure we'll start seeing different resources as time goes on.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Captain Capitalism posted:

This is true. It's not like an Unlimited Dual (which would be something like a 1/1 resource that you can choose from Diamond or Blood threshold), but it's not terrible in a 3 shard deck. I'm sure we'll start seeing different resources as time goes on.

I am really curious how they are going to do duals, and if they will have analogues to the original Magic duals. I wonder if they are just considered too powerful?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Gross Dude posted:

I am really curious how they are going to do duals, and if they will have analogues to the original Magic duals. I wonder if they are just considered too powerful?

Resources in this game seem a bit more powerful than magic's mana just because of how much faster they accelerate the game. Imagine how fast games of MTG would be if it used hex's thresholds instead of mana symbols. In that context, I can't imagine them having dual resources exactly the same as MTG's. I could see them using a dual resources with a drawback of some sort. Maybe even different drawbacks for each type of dual resource. A blood/ruby could deal 3 damage. A diamond/sapphire could make you skip next draw phase.

They could even implement dual resource permanents that are invincible. They would give you one turn of threshold in one color and +1/0 for 1 life. Lots of different way to go about it.

What I'm really curious to see is what or if threshold removal cards exist. I always thought land destruction was crap in MTG, but with resources not being tied to the card in hex, it could be fun. I imagine they'd have to release threshold destruction along with 2x same threshold cards that give either 0/0 or +1/0 and you can only have four of in a deck.

Kubert
Aug 9, 2010
I think the biggest problem with some of the Magic dual lands is that they often don't offer very interesting decisions when deck building. Bad design would be making a dual resource that makes any deck playing both of those colors strictly better rather than playing a basic resource in its place. Good design, then, would be making a dual resource interesting enough so that a player has to make an interesting decision whether to include it in their deck or not. This is easier said than done, the design space for resources in TCGs is typically very limited.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Kubert posted:

I think the biggest problem with some of the Magic dual lands is that they often don't offer very interesting decisions when deck building. Bad design would be making a dual resource that makes any deck playing both of those colors strictly better rather than playing a basic resource in its place. Good design, then, would be making a dual resource interesting enough so that a player has to make an interesting decision whether to include it in their deck or not. This is easier said than done, the design space for resources in TCGs is typically very limited.

By this standard Magic has been doing bad design pretty much forever (not that I necessarily disagree with you, at least where manabases are concerned).

Begath
Apr 27, 2012

Fish are stupid cause they can't climb trees.
Some spoilers being listed on the official forums from PAX.

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=27309

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Doom lied to me.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Come on fellas. The male counterpart to succubus is incubus. This is deomonology 101.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Why wouldn't they call it incubus?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
DAT TRANSMOGRIFIER!

I have no idea how that would even begin to be a useful thing but that is a cool ability.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Gross Dude posted:

Why wouldn't they call it incubus?

Perhaps they thought that an amusing portmanteau was better than the strictly accurate name. :shrug:

Also is it just an artifact of the picture or does dude have huge nipple rings

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I wonder if the transmogrifier retains type? It's not clear to me upon reading it, but could a 1 casting guy turn into a one casting constant?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Gross Dude posted:

I wonder if the transmogrifier retains type? It's not clear to me upon reading it, but could a 1 casting guy turn into a one casting constant?

I believe so?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Did none of you people play Doom 2? loving kids.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Huh. So the alpha is apparently going to last "months not weeks", starting out with just deckbuilding and casual PVP then rolling out features like drafting. I'm... not entirely sure how I feel about this.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
You sound up set that they are letting you play an alpha (which typically is internal only) and that it is going longer, most likely to decrease the chance of bugs further down the road?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

This is why I'm not sure how to feel. On the one hand, as you say, this will be very good for the long-term health of the game. On the other hand, I'd been planning on not playing the alpha too much (since I want my Kickstarter toys to feel shiny and new rather than being a subset of my old alpha toys), and this means I'll be waiting a lot longer for the full beta. I'm also a bit worried the first set will be stretched out for too long.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

pumpinglemma posted:

This is why I'm not sure how to feel. On the one hand, as you say, this will be very good for the long-term health of the game. On the other hand, I'd been planning on not playing the alpha too much (since I want my Kickstarter toys to feel shiny and new rather than being a subset of my old alpha toys), and this means I'll be waiting a lot longer for the full beta. I'm also a bit worried the first set will be stretched out for too long.

What were your expectations? I was assuming beta in winter and release next summer.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Have they said anything one way or the other about streaming the game on twitch while it's in Alpha?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Lone Goat posted:

Have they said anything one way or the other about streaming the game on twitch while it's in Alpha?

I think they said streaming was cool, but I might be overlapping with SolForge

Selane
May 19, 2006

Can't say I'm surprised, I always figured this game would be in testing for a long time. There's sooooo much poo poo going on in this game as a whole that they really need to take their time.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

:allears:

Thank you, Cryptozoic.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yea I think it's a Mancubus because that's loving funny

Also I guess I can see the Transmogrifier being useful; you disrupt the hell out of people banking on any kind of combo, and with some forward planning you would probably still have enough of the right stuff to recover before they do (getting poo poo out of the graveyard / back from the void where it was safe from transmogrification, etc) - just a shame that the Transmogrifier would also be transformed so you can't just keep hitting the reset button until you get something you like :drac:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Where did this alpha timing info come from, DragonCon? I'm at PAX and the CCG panel was the only HEX related thing I was aware of.

Said panel was decent, though as expected most of it was high level info about the three games the panelists represented (Hex, Solforge and Duel of Champions.)

Met up very briefly with Kyle afterwards and got some neat swag courtesy of wearing my Ardent shirt (will post the pics in a bit) but didn't have any great questions to ask so didn't ask anything v:shobon:v

EDIT: Quickie uploads here: http://files.bitprophet.org/pax%20hex%20swag/ - will scribe down the contents of the associated cards later since they're probably not legible :)

bitprophet fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 1, 2013

ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004

But when the box is on its side it's a duplicator :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ianvincible posted:

But when the box is on its side it's a duplicator :(

Oh my god it's a tiger coming out of the box too

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Mancubus is way more fun than incubus. I really like the professor, too. All we need is a good rearrange the top of your deck card to make him interesting. Alpha length doesn't bother me so long as it's not going to drag on for 4+ months. I am worried that I might lose interest in set 1 early though. Hopefully pve will ease that when it finally does exist.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Wait, so is Cryptozoic actually at PAX? I couldn't find an area anywhere and the official "list" said that neither they nor Hex had a booth or anything.

Did these spoilers come from the Digital TCG panel?

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, so is Cryptozoic actually at PAX? I couldn't find an area anywhere and the official "list" said that neither they nor Hex had a booth or anything.

I'm assuming they came out of Dragon*Con because no, there's no (listed or visible, to me anyway) presence at PAX besides the single dude who was on the TCG panel.

Maybe they were on the borders of the slides he showed during his part of the intro, but those went by too fast for me to notice.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

pumpinglemma posted:

If you didn't see this coming, then I'm not sure you've been watching the streams, etc. The client is still pretty buggy, and they have shown 0 PVE, at all, since the kickstarter trailers. I took that to mean that it probably isn't even close to being in a playable state yet and they're pushing all their resources behind just getting PVP in a place where they can share something with backers. They won't push beta until PVE is ready to start testing, and we've probably got a long road before that happens.

As soon as they started pushing all those stretch goals, the expected release date was probably leaping further and further down the calendar. On top of that, I suspect that the game was nowhere near as far along as they indicated during the kickstarter drive. This has become a pretty strong trend among kickstarter games - it's going to be interesting to watch how a lot of these progress, given that the dev teams have free reign to push their deadlines forever and have pretty much 0 accountability when it comes to delivering things in the windows they initially promise.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Some Numbers posted:

CZE isn't there in any official capacity, but the pics are most definitely from PAX, as I know both the guy who took the pictures and the guy who shared them on the official forums, and I know they're both in attendance there (and not at DragonCon). The original pic taker commented on his pics on Facebook that he was "inside [the TCG panel, I believe] with an unnamed CZE employee", so it might have just been a private preview he was given the go-ahead to share.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

VanillaGorilla posted:

If you didn't see this coming, then I'm not sure you've been watching the streams, etc. The client is still pretty buggy, and they have shown 0 PVE, at all, since the kickstarter trailers. I took that to mean that it probably isn't even close to being in a playable state yet and they're pushing all their resources behind just getting PVP in a place where they can share something with backers. They won't push beta until PVE is ready to start testing, and we've probably got a long road before that happens.

As soon as they started pushing all those stretch goals, the expected release date was probably leaping further and further down the calendar. On top of that, I suspect that the game was nowhere near as far along as they indicated during the kickstarter drive. This has become a pretty strong trend among kickstarter games - it's going to be interesting to watch how a lot of these progress, given that the dev teams have free reign to push their deadlines forever and have pretty much 0 accountability when it comes to delivering things in the windows they initially promise.

Eh, like I said earlier, this was expected and completely fine with me because of the nature of the product, basically a 5-10 year horizon MMO (of sorts). It's better to get these right than to push something out and the intended audience knows it, especially with them actually managing to hit PvP alpha nearly on time (which is surprising enough, tbh). I agree with your comment as it pertains to the million single player games that never come close to meeting deadlines, though.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

This game looks rad and I am ashamed I didn't find out about it until a few days ago. I love playing the Magic games but they have problems that put me off playing them for too long. Online has a really ugly interface and you have to pay for everything. DoTPW is great, but people quickly stop playing and I lose interest once I beat the story modes once.

A non garbage interface (solforge), some really interesting online hooks, and the actual game looks fun? Sign me up :10bux:x5

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Adar posted:

Eh, like I said earlier, this was expected and completely fine with me because of the nature of the product, basically a 5-10 year horizon MMO (of sorts). It's better to get these right than to push something out and the intended audience knows it, especially with them actually managing to hit PvP alpha nearly on time (which is surprising enough, tbh). I agree with your comment as it pertains to the million single player games that never come close to meeting deadlines, though.

Intellectually I know you're right and I'd rather have a working game when it's ready than a bugged-to-gently caress game RIGHT NOW.

Emotionally, though, the prospect of long delays makes me nervous. Each month of delay is declining time-value-of-money on my initial investment, slipping away and making me wonder exactly how foolish that Grand King pledge was.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Intellectually I know you're right and I'd rather have a working game when it's ready than a bugged-to-gently caress game RIGHT NOW.

Emotionally, though, the prospect of long delays makes me nervous. Each month of delay is declining time-value-of-money on my initial investment, slipping away and making me wonder exactly how foolish that Grand King pledge was.
I don't know many people who think paying for a game this early in it's development isn't at least a little silly. That's why we try to justify it by staring at all the shiny things they promise us for doing so. One day, we will learn. (we won't)

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I'm going to go into this game as a perfectly normal user, since I apparently missed the KS. I guess this isn't too bad, since it'll give me a pure beginner's perspective and I'll be able to make a guide for anyone looking to get into the game in the future. Also, I really wanna make a RB Blood-Ruby Escalation deck. So many big numbers...

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

This is still going to be the best KS reward set of all time for quite a while so if nothing else, at least that money didn't go to {insert single player failure here}.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Since we won't get the rewards in alpha, I'm hoping that familiarity with the card pool due to a longer alpha will benefit me. I play SW LCG and AGOT LCG very casually, and I'm looking forward to this game, primarily for the drafts. I'm glad the alpha will be 'months' as that makes more sense to me from a software development standpoint.

I'm sure for CZE they would like to launch and start making revenue asap, but I think it's good that they are showing restraint, and that they want to make the game solid/good before they flip that switch.

• Locked thread