Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
:negative: Everyone's stupid theories were right all along. Why? I just wanted the people in the thread to be wrong. Was that too much to ask, game?

But whatever. Its not anything to get worked up over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013
Why do people seem convinced that Peko isn't Kirakira at this point? Speeches like that cannot be made with a straight face unless your genuinely that insane. It also explains the mask, since the only people who would know about Kirakira would be Sonia, Hinata, and Peko. Even if Peko wasn't Kirakira and thus only heard about it from Sonia, she STILL wouldn't know that that mask is Kirakira's. And Sonia only mentioned that that mask belonged to Kirakira during the trial, so how would she have been able to prepare it?
That mask now looks like it was left as an egotistical calling card. You know, like the riddler.
I have no idea what Kuzu and Peko's connection could be but his reaction seems to suggest that he's heard all this before.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

With this recent update, regarding kiri-kiri and Kuzuryuu, I think that they are NOT accomplices.

If Kuzuryuu thought someone was the murderer of his sister, but didn't know who exactly it was (one of three people), the easiest way to make sure he got vengeance would be to kill everyone via the trial. That does make sense.

But, it doesn't really make sense for him to get someone else to do the killing. There's no reason for him to basically get himself killed by hiring or recruiting kiri-kiri instead of doing the job himself, its unnecessary and without reason

I think, Peko played the arcade game, and took it upon herself to do justice by killing Kuzuryuu's sisters killer, by killing everyone and escaping herself. She's crazy, and has an obsession with justice, it's not farfetched to think she might think the end justifies the means, and doesn't see the inherent hypocrisy.

In otherwords, Kuzuryuu has nothing to do with this case, it's all kirikiri acting as a vigilante with her demented idea of justice.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 2, 2013

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Ok yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with the people who think that pogo-stick sword/lightweight ninja is stupid. I would have been completely fine with it in the game if anyone had mentioned it beforehand, but instead it's just something they pull out of nowhere. poo poo like this is why murder mysteries aren't always my favorite kind of stories, because of how the item that's super necessary sometimes comes out of nowhere. Just because it's a thing that the player apparently is supposed to know about beforehand doesn't mean it's a legitimate theory. Really hope that this is the low point of the game. Or maybe I'm just overreacting thanks to the thread.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Alberenza posted:

Why do people seem convinced that Peko isn't Kirakira at this point? Speeches like that cannot be made with a straight face unless your genuinely that insane. It also explains the mask, since the only people who would know about Kirakira would be Sonia, Hinata, and Peko. Even if Peko wasn't Kirakira and thus only heard about it from Sonia, she STILL wouldn't know that that mask is Kirakira's. And Sonia only mentioned that that mask belonged to Kirakira during the trial, so how would she have been able to prepare it?
That mask now looks like it was left as an egotistical calling card. You know, like the riddler.
I have no idea what Kuzu and Peko's connection could be but his reaction seems to suggest that he's heard all this before.

It makes sense because without Kuzuryuu involved, Peko has no knowledge of Twilight Syndrome, and thus Koizumi. It seems very likely to me that she's using the Kirakira routine to cover Kuzuryuu's rear end and remove culpability from him, when he was the one who actually got her to whack Koizumi rather than any vigilante justice serial killer tendencies.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Er.

Well.

That...happened.

Dammit, DR2, Peko, I liked you two. You have one update to explain yourselves, and I'd drat well better be impressed. :colbert:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Also,

quote:

When did this happen? I check right before the trial and it was nowhere.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
It's ironic that the ally of Justice was actually the lackey of a mafia cartel all along.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Mystrich posted:

Kuzuryuu is fine with dying if it means that someone who upholds justice will go free and continue to avenge people who are wrongly murdered.

I don't think that fits a Super High School Level Gangster.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Color Printer posted:

I'm really hoping we get at least one dumb "that'll never loving happen" twist come true if only so a shitton of people look stupid as hell.

(though not the "Owari's a werewolf one", that one's beyond dumb)

Thank you, Super Dangan Ronpa 2. I'm happy now. Sort of. I was kinda hoping it...wasn't this one. (But I was also kinda hoping it was)

But no seriously considering the cliffhanger I wouldn't be surprised if she was just faking it or something.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The trial isn't over yet, we haven't explained how three non-culprit people could have found the corpse. That means Pekoyama probably just messed with the crimescene and left for some reason.

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

It makes sense because without Kuzuryuu involved, Peko has no knowledge of Twilight Syndrome, and thus Koizumi. It seems very likely to me that she's using the Kirakira routine to cover Kuzuryuu's rear end and remove culpability from him, when he was the one who actually got her to whack Koizumi rather than any vigilante justice serial killer tendencies.

I don't know if she played the game or not so I wont argue there but...

But if she wasn't Kirakira she doesn't have a motive, because she wouldn't have such a deep rooted sense of justice. She would have no reason to cover for Kuzu, unless they had some other connection. Also, she doesn't need to go THIS far to cover for Kuzu. In fact, something more subtle like 'I really, really hated Koizumi. No further motive.' would end the vote far quicker. Dragging it out like this just raises the chance that people will draw a connection between her and Kuzu, which may foil some of her plans.
But again, it would be impossible for her to prepare the mask even if she did get the idea from Sonia. Also I think Peko added some parts to the speech that Sonia never mentioned.
AND ALSO if Peko isn't Kirakira, then who is? Kirakira is a renowned serial killer if Sonia is to be believed. It would be anti-climatic if kirakira turned out to be some random dude with no real connection to the plot.
There really isn't any reason to have her NOT be Kirakira. Makes her more interesting anyway because she's been one of the most boring characters in the entire franchise up until now.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Color Printer posted:

Thank you, Super Dangan Ronpa 2. I'm happy now. Sort of. I was kinda hoping it...wasn't this one. (But I was also kinda hoping it was)

But no seriously considering the cliffhanger I wouldn't be surprised if she was just faking it or something.

That seems like a possibility to me as well, considering how this game's enjoyed yanking our chains with parallells to the first game. Still, you have to wonder what the gently caress she's doing at this point if this is an act, regardless of whether she's the killer or not.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The trial isn't over yet, we haven't explained how three non-culprit people could have found the corpse. That means Pekoyama probably just messed with the crimescene and left for some reason.

It's already been explained in the first five minutes...?

Saionji found Koizumi dead and ran off.
Souda found the body second when he got to the beach house.
Hinata found it third when he heard Souda's scream for help.

Jynxite
May 1, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

Also,

When did this happen? I check right before the trial and it was nowhere.

It happened during the trial, right in this post.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Obviously the three people are Saionji, Souda, and Togami's ghost. He couldn't resist the temptation of messing with the body, even from beyond the grave.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Jynxite posted:

It happened during the trial, right in this post.

Oh, weird. They used art that implied it was an non-trial scene in the flashback.

legoman727 posted:

The announcement triggered after Souda found her.

...Which brings me back around to this not being over: We still "don't know" who that third person is (it's obviously Kuzuryuu) and the accomplice angle still needs to be settled, because he's very clearly involved here. Which is why, to me, this Kirakira routine seems to be a cover for Kuzuryuu's involvement, which will be broken down next update.

edit: Hell, we might get another twist and reveal Kuzuryuu as the killer with Peko doing the bloody work + covering for him after. Why? Who knows! We'll find out when the dust settles.

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 2, 2013

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Wasn't the only reason to think there was an accomplice, was because of the window?

With how kiri kiri got through it explained as a solo job, what else is there to go on that anyone else was involved?

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 2, 2013

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, looking back at the post, one thing that caught my eye was that, when Chiaki asked about Peko's motive, Peko looked distressed and asked if it could wait until after the vote. That's...odd, and I'm not sure what to make of it. If she killed Koizumi, and it sure as hell looks like she did, what would it matter what her motive was? Unless she's afraid that revealing her motive will cause people to vote away from her - Surely Kuzuryuu didn't actually have her do a hit on Koizumi? And then be so thankful to this assassin to die for her by directing suspicion away from her in the trial?

I really, really hope the next update has some good answers for us.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Penakoto posted:

Wasn't the only reason to think there was an accomplice, was because of the window. With how kiri kiri got through it explained as a solo job, what else is there to go on that anyone else was involved.

Three people need to find the body before the announcement and that hole needs to be filled. The game called attention to it and thus it's got to be explained.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Penakoto posted:

Wasn't the only reason to think there was an accomplice, was because of the window. With how kiri kiri got through it explained as a solo job, what else is there to go on that anyone else was involved.

Kuzuryuu getting really upset when Peko was accused of being the killer when earlier he talked about how he didn't care about any of them and kept to himself.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Really?

REALLY!?

This is what you are going with?

lambj3 posted:

Other people were smug when they thought it was a dumbass theory, so yeah I have every right to bask in it right now.

The fact that the game actually went with this doesn't make the theory any less dumb, I think.

I mean I'm pretty sure that Peko is totally bullshitting us and there's some kind of twist to this that will make it less dumb but even so...

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

kidcoelacanth posted:

Oh, weird. They used art that implied it was an non-trial scene in the flashback.

Both games have done that whenever they did a flashback to a part of the trial.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

GrizzlyCow posted:

:negative: Everyone's stupid theories were right all along. Why? I just wanted the people in the thread to be wrong. Was that too much to ask, game?

I remind you that the mastermind of the first game was guessed early on in the form of a dumb meme. The thread will always make up the stupidest things and have them end up right.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
If Peko really did it alone then we still don't know who the other person to see the body was, or why they would stroll past, come in through the window (the only entrance that won't leave footprints), have a quick shufty at the body, then climb back out the window and not mention it to anyone. That's why I think she's talking mince, for whatever reason.

Perhaps she's willing to be executed along with everyone else to let the real culprit get off the island to do something really important - if there's other people she cares about outside, Kuzuryuu or Sonia is rich and powerful enough to set them up for life, and after all the weird poo poo he's said in the trial, Kuzuryuu is definitely involved somehow.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Last three or so updates, I was really, really hoping they didn't go this way. I was praying that it was all just a fake out, and that they'd go with something else. But no.

Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

It's time to make the moon fall.

legoman727 posted:

Well, no, it wasn't Hinata. I brought it up a couple pages back. Check out the update in question again and have a look at when the announcement was made. Souda triggered the announcement, meaning two other non-murderers discovered the body before he did. We know one is Saionji, so who's the other?

On top of that, a couple of updates back Nagito made a big deal out of interrupting the trial to clarify that rule with Monobear, so it's definitely important.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Seems kinda similar with assuming Leon could throw a glass ball as accurately as a baseball though.

I was actually thinking when I saw the picture again of Peko in the diner that maybe she hid a rope in the shinai case*? That seems less contrived to me, but seeing it visualized (her foot on the guard of the shinai) doesn't look impossible either if we assume the characters are younger and lighter than the art style makes them look.

Though maybe the accomplice thing is true; Kuzuryuu is the one with the bat and killed her (since he's a SHSL Gangster he might be able to avoid blood hitting him?), than Peko moved the body and got blood on herself (ergo using the bottles) and Peko is covering for Kuzuryuu, she helped him out and then got out herself?

The whole thing with Nanami asking for her motive makes me think this is still a red herring but not sure how yet.

*The Shinai also looks as tall as she is so...

e: vvv Ninja'd you!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The complaining about this reveal is what's dumb. "She stood on the long thing she always carries around, and used the string she always carries around to pull it up after her" is pretty drat simple, really. And it's nowhere near the most absurd use of SHSL abilities either; we've had someone program an AI in a matter of days in the last game, among other things. Heck, even Leon perfectly pitching that crystal ball to hit a button in one try was more unbelievable than this.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Last three or so updates, I was really, really hoping they didn't go this way. I was praying that it was all just a fake out, and that they'd go with something else. But no.

Posts like this are pretty amusing when considering there's obviously more to this and we're not near done yet.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Peko's definitely the actual killer. I know meta arguments are sort of frowned upon, but to have this be another fakeout would be ridiculous for only the second trial of the game, not to mention it would leave us with two known crazies in the population for the next chapter which would be really weird.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

HMS Boromir posted:

Peko's definitely the actual killer. I know meta arguments are sort of frowned upon, but to have this be another fakeout would be ridiculous for only the second trial of the game, not to mention it would leave us with two known crazies in the population for the next chapter which would be really weird.

This is countered though by the other meta argument in that we're still 2-3 updates short in terms of trial length unless the first trial was unusually long in DR terms to help people ease themselves in?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 2, 2013

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

To be fair, if it isn't Peko it's possible this is an act, since she clearly wants us to think that she did it right now.

Raenir Salazar posted:

This is countered though by the other meta argument in that we're still 2-3 updates short in terms of trial length unless the first trial was unusually long in DR terms to help people ease themselves in?

Actually, we've got 3 updates left until this trial is as long as Hanamura's - but remember that Hanamura was executed in the second to last update of the trial, the final update being the survivors going 'Oh gently caress we're all gonna die :stonk:' for a bit. If we assume this trial runs the same length, then we have two updates until execution. I'm a little iffy with what that means from a meta-perspective. If it's Peko then I'm not sure how she drags it out much longer than this, if it's not then someone's gonna get an absolute bomb dropped on them real soon.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 2, 2013

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

HMS Boromir posted:

I remind you that the mastermind of the first game was guessed early on in the form of a dumb meme. The thread will always make up the stupidest things and have them end up right.

Part of me believes Dangan Ronpa isn't even really a game and orenronen is just having a laugh at us. He reads all our stupid theories and quickly writes everything out to make the worst ideas real. Then HelloWinter draws all the art to make it more believable. This whole thread is just one messed up Choose Your Own Adventure and we don't even know what our choices are.

We've already selected a culprit, but I want to know what Kuzuryuu's problem is. He's willing to go down with the S.S. Pekoyama for some reason and there's still the matter of his envelope. What's your deal, Baby Face?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess it could be "Peko has an accomplice", but with the ninja trick there's no actual need for one. So the end of the trial would have to be "Yeah I had an accomplice/ there was a second witness, but they didn't do anything at all". That doesn't strike me as a very good climax.

Incidentally, the water bottles are strange if Peko is the culprit (she could've just washed the blood off when she dived into the sea).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I laughed at the mask, but I am hoping it turns out to be something other than just a way to take the serial killer idea from DR1 and turn it. Obviously we'll be hearing more from Kuzuryuu, and I would not be surprised if Peko is faking the Kirakira identity to conceal that she did it for him.

I am disappointed at the ninja sword trick; not because it's all that dumb for a game like this, but because it would legitimately have been an awesome thing for her to be hiding a different tool in her sword bag. That would have been a good mystery game way to hid evidence.

Jynxite
May 1, 2013

HMS Boromir posted:

In that case, Nagito is Naegi and also our main villain, this is virtual reality and also happening at the same time as DR 1, Hinata is a robot/AI and bugging out in the intro, dead people appear in the stars, Togami 2.0 is Togami 1.0's son in the bad end of DR 1, Kuzuryuu is a crossdresser, Hanamura has a split-personality and cooks his victims up, Saionji is evil, and Gundam is a cyborg ninja.

And that's only from the first five pages.

I'm kind of tempted to go back and jot down every single theory everyone has made in this thread, just so we can see who was right and who wasn't; someone called Hanamura murdering someone on the first page (based on his gleeful smile no less), and I found that amusing, so I can't wait for cyborg-ninja-Gundam.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Oh for gently caress's sake, Dangan Ronpa.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

I was actually thinking when I saw the picture again of Peko in the diner that maybe she hid a rope in the shinai case*?

Yeah, that would have been a much better solution, instead of this "ninja trick" nonsense.

Also, I'm not buying Peko being Kira-Kira just yet; I would think a self-proclaimed "killer of criminals" would have gone after the person who actually committed murder (i.e. Kuzuryuu) rather than the person who merely withheld evidence.

Still, assuming Peko is in fact the culprit, I'm not sure why she would lie about her motive at this stage. She's dead no matter what.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Her crazy portrait was a lot more subdued than Komaeda's. I almost didn't notice it was there.

I'm going to go ahead and believe she's BSing until further notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geg
May 29, 2013
Man, what's with people taking this so seriously. I don't see how this is any more dumb or ridiculous than the Genocider Sho reveal in the last game

• Locked thread