Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

piratepilates posted:

I think the worst worst things for me about KOF13 right now is that no one really plays it so if I play an online match and get crushed I have to wait a few minutes before searching again or I'll just get matched up to the same person again, and that the menus all use LK/LP instead of A/B to tell you what button to press, which is nice since for people new to the series but really confusing since for some reason I only remember what to do if it's an A/B/C/D button instead of punches/kicks.

To be fair, it's still only in "beta" for another week or so. Give it a week after its official release once everyone's tried Arcade mode and some of the trials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Tae posted:

To be fair, it's still only in "beta" for another week or so. Give it a week after its official release once everyone's tried Arcade mode and some of the trials.

Yeah I know and that's my hope at least, I do know one guy who won't buy it until release even though he might as well buy it now and start playing it right away instead of waiting.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

piratepilates posted:

Yeah I know and that's my hope at least, I do know one guy who won't buy it until release even though he might as well buy it now and start playing it right away instead of waiting.

Just remind him that it probably wont be on sale after it officially releases.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Random dude, you kicked my rear end 7 times in a row with 5 of them not getting past your first character. Leave my room already!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I wonder if they'll actually improve the non-netcode online portions of the game after the beta is done with like better lobbies and better ranked and I'm pretty sure the weird levels and battle points and stuff isn't the greatest thing to count in your online.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

piratepilates posted:

I wonder if they'll actually improve the non-netcode online portions of the game after the beta is done with like better lobbies and better ranked and I'm pretty sure the weird levels and battle points and stuff isn't the greatest thing to count in your online.

Some sort of chat in the lobby would certainly be nice.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Tae posted:

Random dude, you kicked my rear end 7 times in a row with 5 of them not getting past your first character. Leave my room already!

Yeah, it'd be nice if you could differentiate between Novice and Expert besides using the word "please".

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Dorroile posted:

Some sort of chat in the lobby would certainly be nice.

Oh yeah I can't figure out how to send hate mail over steam through KOF, I really hope they fix that so I can call everyone I play (win or lose) shitlords.

edit: I'm being serious, there is something really weird about not being able to receive someone insulting you after playing them

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 5, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

Yeah, it'd be nice if you could differentiate between Novice and Expert besides using the word "please".

On the other hand, every time someone says "Please don't hurt me" it ends up being some semi-pro.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
If there's one good thing about Jojo ASB it's CINEMATIC TAUNTS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AImawVGQFCs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA6Yn6Qetr0

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
I've not heard a whole lot about ASB, aside from a couple videos of infinites. Though I guess if infinites were found so quickly, that tells me all I need to know.

Is Kakyoin still incredibly fabulous, though?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Six Of Spades posted:

I've not heard a whole lot about ASB, aside from a couple videos of infinites. Though I guess if infinites were found so quickly, that tells me all I need to know.

Is Kakyoin still incredibly fabulous, though?

They already have a patch coming out on September 10 that will presumably fix infinites/bugs.

Pannacotta Fuugo will be released on September 12 as free DLC as well.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Most of the infinites are possible due to the lack of any gravity scaling, coupled with the fact that the game is 2D with limited 3D movement on a 3D field, which causes there to be almost no pushback if you get the opponent to the side of the arena and at a fairly particular angle.

There are, however, a few infinites that can be done regardless of positioning, but they are at least way rarer and actually involve a bit of execution more than "launch, rapid cancel, jab juggle forever".

If you want to know more of my thoughts on the game so far, I posted what I think are the main flaws of the game in the game's thread, I think on the second to last page at the moment.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
Oh whoops, I didn't realise there was a thread about it. I'll read up on it!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Six Of Spades posted:

Oh whoops, I didn't realise there was a thread about it. I'll read up on it!

I just realized I meant to link the thread but forgot, so here it is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3556420

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

If anyone is in the UK or europe I'd be happy to help them learn KOF, just message me on steam, my steam id is: http://steamcommunity.com/id/brianuk

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Notimedota

Could I get an inv to the KoF Group? I'm an Aussie and also terrible.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

brian posted:

If anyone is in the UK or europe I'd be happy to help them learn KOF, just message me on steam, my steam id is: http://steamcommunity.com/id/brianuk

Oh aye? I'm UK, will add. Pretty bad at KoF atm though.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Is the PC version of KoF re-balanced from the console version? I'm using the shoryuken wiki for combos and a lot of damage values are different, and some combos just don't seem to work (or have such finnicky timing that I'm constantly missing them).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Heavy neutrino posted:

Is the PC version of KoF re-balanced from the console version? I'm using the shoryuken wiki for combos and a lot of damage values are different, and some combos just don't seem to work (or have such finnicky timing that I'm constantly missing them).

I've seen the same damage values so far, though I haven't even touched HD combos. It is kof13: climax which has a few balance changes from the console version, but not many. Mostly it made the arcade version in sync with the console version.

If you find concrete differences, post em! I don't think a full changelog is available anywhere, though there is a partial one here:
http://dreamcancel.com/2012/02/09/kofxiii-climax-changes/

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

I've seen the same damage values so far, though I haven't even touched HD combos. It is kof13: climax which has a few balance changes from the console version, but not many. Mostly it made the arcade version in sync with the console version.

If you find concrete differences, post em! I don't think a full changelog is available anywhere, though there is a partial one here:
http://dreamcancel.com/2012/02/09/kofxiii-climax-changes/

I was going off of the values on the Shoryuken wiki -- I just went through a lot of Maxima combos and almost all of them did less damage than shown on it. Leona's EX earring bomb into EX V-Slash does 17 more damage than the wiki suggests. Maybe nothing changed and those values are just wrong?

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

I was going off of the values on the Shoryuken wiki -- I just went through a lot of Maxima combos and almost all of them did less damage than shown on it. Leona's EX earring bomb into EX V-Slash does 17 more damage than the wiki suggests. Maybe nothing changed and those values are just wrong?

Just a sanity check but make sure Counter Hit is turned off. Also a lot of the combos will list optional jump-in starters or hitconfirms that aren't included in the final damage number. Multi-hit specials and supers can also give different damage values depending on how the attack connects with the opponent, like Kyo's EX Orochinagi in juggles.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

brian posted:

I'm in Europe, and could probably use some tips, so i sent you a friend request. :)

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Heavy neutrino posted:

It might be that you're not getting all the hits off on a stage of the combo, like you can do Terry's cl.C df C with the cl.C doing one or two hits depending on when you do the command normal.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is anyone else's KoF stuck in updating phase but not actually updating (and can't play it)?

brian
Sep 11, 2001

I've always found the Dream Cancel Wiki and the Orochinagi Wiki to be the best sources of info, I've never really used the SRK one.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What is the name of this crazy motion that's like a chicken wing with up->down tacked onto the end. Why wasn't it sf4'ifized like everything else. It's very hard to do on a hitbox. Especially fast. Because everything in this game has to be done fast! I can't even imagine what pad players do, basic stuff like cr.b, cr.a, dragon punch seems like it'd be really, really difficult.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Roguelike posted:

What is the name of this crazy motion that's like a chicken wing with up->down tacked onto the end. Why wasn't it sf4'ifized like everything else. It's very hard to do on a hitbox. Especially fast. Because everything in this game has to be done fast! I can't even imagine what pad players do, basic stuff like cr.b, cr.a, dragon punch seems like it'd be really, really difficult.

Makes sense to me. You use it from a jump and the down input makes you not get it by accident if you superjump weirdly.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

drat KoF13 is a blast to play even though I'm getting chain-crushed most of the time (I do have three total wins though!). Right now I only know how to play EX Iori and Leona, with whomever else I pick being basically free. Who's a newbie-friendly third character I could pick up and learn? I'm thinking Duo Lon or Maxima.

I tried playing a bit of Athena, but I think the anime's too strong for me.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 7, 2013

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Heavy neutrino posted:

drat KoF13 is a blast to play even though I'm getting chain-crushed most of the time (I do have three total wins though!). Right now I only know how to play EX Iori and Leona, with whomever else I pick being basically free. Who's a newbie-friendly third character I could pick up and learn? I'm thinking Duo Lon or Maxima.

I tried playing a bit of Athena, but I think the anime's too strong for me.

For third try Shen, he has really good normals, you don't have to worry much about confirming quick lows unless it's an HD combo, and his super is useful for many situations. You can also try Kim, some of his combos are kinda difficult, but his normals are incredible as well and even good players have trouble baiting his ex flashkick so you have a great anti air there.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

Roguelike posted:

Vice's Overkill super? Don't worry about being unable to do raw Overkill because you pretty much only use the super after QCB+P (Mayhem) -> QCF+P (Splash), which actually gives you plenty of time to slowly and carefully input the motion. In fact there are many situations like this where you have lots of time to input motions slowly. Not everything needs to be done quickly.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Also I need some meditative breathing advice to calm down and focus during real matches so I can land a combo. It's amazing how I can pull off combos with a 90+% rate in practice and then turn into a complete moron who can't chain poo poo the second a real fight begins.

I guess it comes with being new to fighting games, but drat if it isn't frustrating as hell.

The game is amazingly fun though. I can't believe I missed out on fighting games for so long.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Heavy neutrino posted:

Also I need some meditative breathing advice to calm down and focus during real matches so I can land a combo. It's amazing how I can pull off combos with a 90+% rate in practice and then turn into a complete moron who can't chain poo poo the second a real fight begins.

I guess it comes with being new to fighting games, but drat if it isn't frustrating as hell.

The game is amazingly fun though. I can't believe I missed out on fighting games for so long.

Like a lot of stuff with any competitive game, it gets better over time. I don't play Starcraft or anything very much, so when I DO decide to fire it up, I always get those little pangs of anxiety until I play for a bit.

The other thing to consider is that you might well be missing combos due to tiny amounts of lag. A good idea is usually to stick to less intricate combos unless you've got a really good connection so you don't end up whiffing a combo because of a hiccup.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Heavy neutrino posted:

Most people say it is nerves but I think that if you get to where you can do it without looking at the screen then you will be fine at landing it in a match.

The thing is that in practice you are thinking about the combo and in the match you are thinking about the match. So you need to distract yourself more in practice mode. With muscle memory, your hands will do it without much conscious thought at all.

Also helpful is to throw the dummy on CPU. Sometimes it is that you don't know how to properly set it up.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I second the CPU thing, every time I learn a new combo i'll spend a lot of time just practicing it against the CPU because it will rarely play predictably so you end up with having to confirm in weird situations a lot which is very helpful in making the normal situations (i.e. after a jump in or on their wakeup) feel a lot more trivial.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

Roguelike posted:

Especially fast. Because everything in this game has to be done fast!

I find that the inputs work a lot more consistently when I do them SLOWLY. KoF really emphasizes having clean inputs over lightning fast ones compared to other stuff I'm used to.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Roguelike posted:

Are you really complaining about a motion because it's hard to do on a Hitbox?

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Brosnan posted:

Are you really complaining about a motion because it's hard to do on a Hitbox?

Yeah, first world problems. Anyway, it turns out that only the first diagonal is required so you can input it pretty easily as HCF and then Up->Down. I just heard a lot of KoF players mentioning that they changed all the motions to be more friendly to capcom players and it seems like the kind of motion that might get changed. Maybe the old motions were just way crazier then I'm imagining.

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo
Hey fighting game thread (sweet OP), help me buy or not buy an arcade stick!

I mainly play SF4 (though by this point I own a lot of the stuff available on XBLA) and am getting to where I'd like to get a little better, but even moreso I'd like to start playing with a stick. My biggest problem with a gamepad, aside from executing some directional inputs on the right side of the screen, is hitting the awkwardly placed heavy punches/kicks on the shoulder buttons.

The issue is of course money. I found this Datel stick most interesting, mainly due to its low price and lack of complete thrashing by the reviews I've looked at. I've no illusions of getting a great stick or even an okay one at this price point – the most important quality is that it won't be aggressively bad. At the moment the 100$+ sticks are out of my price range (especially since I'll be paying a bunch for shipping to Finland on top of the price), but I might be able to swing a pricier stick in the future. How badly can I get burned by this Datel stick? Should I save my money and go for something better? I'm not looking to get super serious about fighting games, I just want a better controller layout and preferably on something that won't immediately disintegrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
If you buy a cheap stick now you can always just upgrade the parts later (or replace them when they inevitably fail) and it's pretty identical to having a $100+ stick, albeit in a cheap little case. You should look around to make sure you're able to mount a Sanwa JLF in it without modding it, but putting 30mm sanwa buttons in shouldn't be a problem.

• Locked thread