Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amok
Oct 5, 2004
You can't spell failure without U R A
My current "windfall money" plan is to get a used 1DmkIV since I'm mostly interested in sports photography and I have a feeling that the older APS-H sensor will perform better in low light compared to the 70D sensor. Still, need to borrow a friend's 7D and see how well that AF system works when shooting erratically moving black dogs in lovely indoor lighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Get the mkIV. Its vastly superior to the 7D in virtually every way, especially for sports. The mkIV sensor will give more detail, better low light performance, a little more fov and the AF is miles ahead of anything short of the 1Dx.

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008
Random question: if I tweak the focus on my lens manually after autofocusing does that hurt it?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
No.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

If it's a USM lens, no. If it's a regular old little motor, I don't think it's suggested.

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008
Awesome thanks y'all. Randomly got paranoid that I was loving up the motors on my lenses. So what's the point of having an AF / MF slider on the lens?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mdtyson posted:

Awesome thanks y'all. Randomly got paranoid that I was loving up the motors on my lenses. So what's the point of having an AF / MF slider on the lens?

It means the camera won't try to refocus when you half-press the shutter.

It also disengages the focus mechanism, so you don't have to fight the resistance.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

xzzy posted:

It means the camera won't try to refocus when you half-press the shutter.

Also the source of some fun "oh no I broke my AF motor" moments.

Either way back-button focus 4 lyfe.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Yay Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART rumored for photokina!

Also a 135mm 1.8....with OS :psyboom:

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Seamonster posted:

Yay Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART rumored for photokina!

Also a 135mm 1.8....with OS :psyboom:

Will this be a reason for me to not be planning an upgrade to 6D from my 60D?

erephus fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 10, 2013

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

mdtyson posted:

If you feel resistance when turning the focus ring and have AF on then you should be a bit paranoid.
When I have used a lens that support focus while on AF is on never had any resistance when turning the focus ring.

I am not saying that all lenses that don't have a resistance when using the focus ring while on AF are meant to be used that way.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Seamonster posted:

Also a 1.8....with OS :psyboom:

please be full frame please be full frame

Amok
Oct 5, 2004
You can't spell failure without U R A
Basically find the specs for your lens, see if it supports full-time MF, and if it doesn't, try not to fiddle with the focus ring with AF engaged. Forcing the AF motor to turn when it's coupled to the focus mechanism isn't going to make it work better, that's for sure.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

erephus posted:

If you feel resistance when turning the focus ring and have AF on then you should be a bit paranoid.
When I have used a lens that support focus while on AF is on never had any resistance when turning the focus ring.

I am not saying that all lenses that don't have a resistance when using the focus ring while on AF are meant to be used that way.

Aren't most of them non-mechanical now anyway, i.e. AF doesn't turn the ring, and the ring just instructs the motor to change focus by X amount?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

dakana posted:

Yup, they're saying DG out on the rumor mill.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

erephus posted:

Will this be a reason for me to not be planning an upgrade to 6D from my 60D?
If anything, it'd be a reason to do it. Fast 24x36 sigma glass is so heavy you'll barely feel the heavier camera.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I rather want to know whether that 24-70mm f/2.0 is going to happen or not. Gonna be a rather big lens, if so.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

dakana posted:

Why would anyone make a 135 for a crop? I don't think 216mm is a coveted focal range.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I rather want to know whether that 24-70mm f/2.0 is going to happen or not. Gonna be a rather big lens, if so.

I can't imagine it will be a 24-70 f2. It seems like that would be way too big and heavy for what most people would be using it for. Just adding OS and improving the IQ of their current model would be a huge deal, seeing as how Canon poo poo the bed by not putting IS on their 24-70 mkII. Seriously Canon, you put IS on lovely kit lenses but not on one of the most popular pro lenses you make. WTF Canon. W. T. F.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
I wanna live off nothing but Sigma primes. Please make this happen.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Why would anyone make a 135 for a crop? I don't think 216mm is a coveted focal range.

I can't imagine it will be a 24-70 f2. It seems like that would be way too big and heavy for what most people would be using it for. Just adding OS and improving the IQ of their current model would be a huge deal, seeing as how Canon poo poo the bed by not putting IS on their 24-70 mkII. Seriously Canon, you put IS on lovely kit lenses but not on one of the most popular pro lenses you make. WTF Canon. W. T. F.

I think on the realm, "because we can" Same reason for the 18-35 f/1.8. I think a great feat in an of itself, but make a 16/18-35ish f/2 for full frame that would be amazing.

But for 1/3 of a stop they have huge disadvantage against the Canon 135 if only because it is one of Canon's best lenses (not even considering its cost).

That's why their 24-70 f/2 could be such a big deal - that's a full stop of light against lens series that can't even get IS into the 2.8 lens.

geeves fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 11, 2013

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

fivre posted:

Aren't most of them non-mechanical now anyway, i.e. AF doesn't turn the ring, and the ring just instructs the motor to change focus by X amount?

That's Canon's STM motor, which is in a couple newer crop-oriented lenses and the 40 mm pancake. So, no, not really.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

geeves posted:

That's why their 24-70 f/2 could be such a big deal - that's a full stop of light against lens series that can't even get IS into the 2.8 lens.

I have a feeling whether it be it a 2.0 or 2.8, it's going to be just as good if not better and a lot cheaper. $2300 is loving expensive for a non is 24-70

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

LiquidRain posted:

There was a fellow here earlier in the thread saying his Canon camera was perma-stuck being really slow to wake from sleep after they installed Magic Lantern - even after he wiped ML off his memory card and was back to a Canon firmware.

I experienced the same infuriating problem today, and it turns out a normal flashing of your firmware will not disable the bootflag that has your camera attempt to check your CF/SD card for firmware every time it wakes up. Seek out firmware (or make your own) that disables your camera's bootflag and your camera will go back to being speedy. The instructions for doing this on a 7D are here, search for "7dnoboot" on the page.

somnambulist posted:

It was me. Still doing it :( I have a 5d mark 3, i'll look around that page to see if there's a solution for it yet.

Posting because there still is no way of clearing the bootflag option on the 5d3. This is a minor inconvenience if you're using an SD card, but recently I found that the camera will completely lock up and drain the battery if using an EyeFi card. The only way I was able to get it to work so far has been to power it on with no SD card, then quickly switch it off, insert the SD card, and switch it back on.

Seems like 1 out of every 3 times it works, but I have to keep the camera set to not automatically power off, otherwise you have to do the dance all over again.

There doesn't seem to be a way of just leaving the MagicLantern files on the EyeFi card, either and dealing with the slower bootup, it just won't allow the camera to start.

So let this be a cautionary tale to 5D3 owners: Experiment with MagicLantern at your own risk, and consider manually loading ML when you need it rather than using the bootflag.fir file to make a permanent (for now) change to your camera's firmware.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
So what's the general consensus on 6d vs. 5dmk3? Most of the photographers I've talked to talk up the 6d as a cheaper option that they would rather use than the 5dmk3. It seems like the primary advantage of the mk3 is less shutter lag and a poo poo-gently caress-ton of AF points? I'm so used to focus-recompose using the center AF point that I'm not sure I'd really even use them, but who knows. Then again, the mk2 and mk3 are both sold out from Canon's refurb program...

Question mostly because the roomie rented a 6d and now I want to skip a vacation and grab one. :(

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008

Shellman posted:

Question mostly because the roomie rented a 6d and now I want to skip a vacation and grab one. :(

Just grabbed a 6D and I love it.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Borrowed my friend's 70D yesterday for a wedding. Didn't use it much (and glad I didn't because I didn't properly set it to RAW when I thought I had), but aside from that, it was a real joy to use and I loved the menu.

So question: Does the 6d or 5D3 share similar menus and touch capabilities with the 70D or is it unique?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Menus are mostly the same, no touch on the 6D, and I think neither on the 5D3.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

geeves posted:

Borrowed my friend's 70D yesterday for a wedding. Didn't use it much (and glad I didn't because I didn't properly set it to RAW when I thought I had), but aside from that, it was a real joy to use and I loved the menu.

So question: Does the 6d or 5D3 share similar menus and touch capabilities with the 70D or is it unique?

No touchscreen on the 5D3.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Anyone have opinions on the medium format camera that Canon is working on? Does anyone have a guess as to what it might cost? There isn't much information to go by, but it's pretty exciting nonetheless. My guess is that it will be more expensive than an equivalent Hassie.

http://petapixel.com/2013/08/19/rumor-canon-hopes-to-launch-a-digital-medium-format-system-in-2014/

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Shellman posted:

So what's the general consensus on 6d vs. 5dmk3? Most of the photographers I've talked to talk up the 6d as a cheaper option that they would rather use than the 5dmk3. It seems like the primary advantage of the mk3 is less shutter lag and a poo poo-gently caress-ton of AF points? I'm so used to focus-recompose using the center AF point that I'm not sure I'd really even use them, but who knows. Then again, the mk2 and mk3 are both sold out from Canon's refurb program...

Ultimately, I think the answer to 6D vs 5DIII has less to do with the merits of the cameras and more to do with the financial situation of the individual. Unless you're desperate for GPS+wifi, or are a worshipper at the Church of DXO, the 5DIII is the better body. So it's a question of whether in the long-run £850 is significant cash.

As the saying goes, the best camera in the world is the one you have with you. So I'm not sure I'd hold off buying the 6D just in case you might be able to buy the 5D3 at some unknown time in the future.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

rcman50166 posted:

Anyone have opinions on the medium format camera that Canon is working on? Does anyone have a guess as to what it might cost? There isn't much information to go by, but it's pretty exciting nonetheless. My guess is that it will be more expensive than an equivalent Hassie.

http://petapixel.com/2013/08/19/rumor-canon-hopes-to-launch-a-digital-medium-format-system-in-2014/
Well it hasn't been picked up by CanonRumors, so it's probably true!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

Well it hasn't been picked up by CanonRumors, so it's probably true!

That rumor appeared on CanonRumors quite some time ago actually.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

As the saying goes, the best camera in the world is the one you have with you. So I'm not sure I'd hold off buying the 6D just in case you might be able to buy the 5D3 at some unknown time in the future.
The 5D3 has practically only 1/8000th shutter and the million AF points over the 6D. Unless you reaaaaaaaaaally need those, the 6D is a perfectly viable option.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hope no one minds, but I got this shot from an EOS-M I got at the $329 price point from Amazon, with the standard 18-55mm lens just this weekend.. no filters installed.

Taking pics in the middle of taking videos is a cool feature, got a picture of a snapping turtle right next to the kayak too. Pity it kinda freezes your video for a second..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 16, 2013

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
And the viewfinder. Sure its only a little bit but there's something to be said for 100% coverage.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I guess so, but on the other hand, the 97% coverage saved a bunch of my spontaneous shots that didn't leave me with time to frame properly.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

rcman50166 posted:

Another market segment for canon to produce cameras inferior to pentax in.

Cool.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I was about to say, it's not like Pentax is making money hand over fist, and Canon's not about to make better glass than loving fuji.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Shellman posted:

Like everything camera related, the question would be what are you using it for? If I were in the market for a full frame, my concerns would be AF tracking, burst-rate, and whether it had a CF card slot, along with low-light performance, making the 5dmkIII the clear choice. If you aren't shooting action those things might matter a lot less than having the extra cash in your pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Hope no one minds, but I got this shot from an EOS-M I got at the $329 price point from Amazon, with the standard 18-55mm lens just this weekend.. no filters installed.

Taking pics in the middle of taking videos is a cool feature, got a picture of a snapping turtle right next to the kayak too. Pity it kinda freezes your video for a second..

Love my EOS-M, though mine is with the 22MM STM. I carry it in my Camelbak when biking and snap pictures like this:

(filters used)