Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Kind of the inverse question of the SIM thing: I travel internationally for my work, can I use a local prepaid SIM card in my S4 to use my phone in Asia? Do I need to unlock my device or does the FCC have my back here? Will this gently caress with my unlimited data in any way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

canoshiz posted:

Kind of the inverse question of the SIM thing: I travel internationally for my work, can I use a local prepaid SIM card in my S4 to use my phone in Asia? Do I need to unlock my device or does the FCC have my back here? Will this gently caress with my unlimited data in any way?

Verizon has done an oddly friendly thing with their phone variants in that they're unlocked for international use out of the box. You should be absolutely fine in just popping in the local prepaid SIM. You might have to manually set APN's to get data, but that's probably the only hurdle. Otherwise it'll be just text and voice.

This cannot, and will not gently caress with your unlimited data. You're not using your Verizon plan whatsoever when you go buy a local prepaid SIM. That prepaid SIM doesn't give a gently caress about your Verizon account and vice versa.

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran
My girlfriend and I are in a family plan that currently has unlimited data. If she upgrades her phone with a new contract and loses the unlimited data, am I screwed as well?

(I was planning on paying full price for my next upgrade).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

Nope. You can do an Assumption of Liability at any time (unless you're on the new Edge program) if permission has been granted and documented on the account by an account owner or manager. You will assume liability for whatever is left of the contract.

If you are starting a new account you will undergo a credit check and may require a security deposit.

The new account holder has a 12 month contract or the remainder of the existing contract, whichever is longest.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 11, 2013

Meat Mitts
May 28, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I'm wondering if the reason EDGE exists now is because they know once they debut LTE-Advanced that people will realize it's faster than their terrestrial broadband by a factor of 2-10 times, and they're trying to get as many grandfathered Unlimited Data users to give it up as they can for the ability to access the newest phones? 100Mbit to 1Gbit isn't very attractive when it's got a 6-8 gigabyte ceiling on it.

Many of the features that make LTE-Advanced faster than standard LTE aren't likely to be implemented. The core features are carrier aggregation, 8x8 MIMO, and 128 QAM. Why combine all your spectrum into one giant "carrier" to get faster speeds, but no added capacity, when you could keep the spectrum separate to increase capacity with the same speeds? Battery life is still an ongoing struggle with LTE phones, now double or quadruple the number of LTE transceivers in the phone. Maybe 8x8 MIMO could be used for air cards and jetpacks, though, since battery life is less of a concern for them. In the downlink LTE currently supports QPSK, 16 QAM and 64 QAM coding schemes. Each coding scheme is granted based on SNR. 64 QAM already requires good SNR to be granted, so 128 QAM will likely require nearly perfect RF conditions to be granted e.g. direct line of site of the tower and in the boresight of one of the antennas.

Of course, Verizon could go all in for the fastest speeds bragging rights. In either case I doubt LTE-Advanced is a significant factor in the EDGE program.

e: from a couple pages back:

Binge posted:

I'm looking for opinions on what to do about this. Service absolutely sucks in my neighborhood. There doesn't appear to be a reason for this, other than it just does. It's not just inside my house, it's anywhere. When you're indoors, its way worse, and you cannot have a conversation with someone for more than 5 minutes before the chance of the call dropping increases to near 100%. It's been this way for a long time, and I think I'm finally at my breaking point with it. Obviously we use wi-fi for data stuff, but since we have the Verizon Home phone thing, and 4 other VZW devices in the house, all of which never see more than a single bar on the weakest network I'm getting pissed about it.

So I called tech support. He immediately noted how bad the reception was, and dispatched actual service techs. The techs call and leave a message saying they don't see anything wrong, go buy a range extender. Really? I have 7 devices on one plan(it's a shared plan with my friends). My family has 2 more, and the verizon home connect thing. I think I pay Verizon enough money for them to tell me this. Am I wrong? Should I call and complain? I don't normally do such things, but I wanted to see what other people have to say about it before I do.

AT&T in my neighborhood works fine. AT&T will be getting the only 2 devices(N5 or HTC one max) I want next anyway, and I might switch regardless (except for the fact I'm the primary account holder for the 7 devices shared plan, so I don't know how I'd be able to get out of that).
If you complain enough and threaten to leave, you might be able to get a reduced cost/free network extender. Be advised network extenders are more of a band-aid to poor coverage than a fix. Specifically, if you make a outside of your home and walk inside, you will not hand over to the network extender. You would have to either end the call or drop, then place another one to be on the network extender. Also, in theory you're supposed to be able to make a call on the network extender and hand off to the macro network as you leave your house, but in practice because macro network coverage is probably pretty bad you'll drop more often than not in this scenario as well.

The techs probably parked in front of your house and took some signal measurements. If Rx power is greater than -95dBm, then by definition there is no "coverage" problem. Voice is pretty robust for the most part, assuming there are no signal quality issues. You should almost never drop a call while stationary if you have Rx power greater than -95dBm. Do note that from the signal range -45+dBm to -95dBm most phone manufacturers spread out 1-4 bars, or 1-5, or whatever they use these days, which isn't particularly useful for knowing if you can make a call or not.

quote:

Additional notes: The guy on the phone said there are 5 towers in my area, and I'm connecting to the best one. I think the one I connect to is very close by, and I've never gotten a real answer from a Verizon person on this, but I am assuming a tower broadcasts like an umbrella, outward, and we're underneath it or something. My town has full 4G support on paper, and if I drive 1-2 miles I do switch over to it, and finally start getting real data speeds.

My neighbors have had the exact same complaints, it's not just me or my rooted devices doing evil signal crushing things.
Most cell towers in urban and suburban areas are no more than 200 ft tall, so if you're 1 mile away from the tower, the signal is essentially coming towards you from the horizon. In rural areas, cell towers can be 400+ ft tall, but because the towers are spread out much farther, the signal would still essentially be coming from the horizon, unless you're right underneath the tower of course. The "umbrella" you're describing if I'm understanding it right would probably equate to omni-directional antennas, which is what TV and radio stations use, and cell towers used to use a long time ago, but has fallen out of favor pretty much after the analog days. Modern cell tower design incorporates usually 3 directional antennas on one tower, where each antenna is 120 degrees away from the other two (e.g. antennas pointing at 0, 120, and 240 degrees from true north). Because the signal is coming from the horizon usually, and not the sky, the antenna propagation pattern looks like a pancake. Lat/Long wise the energy spreads out wide, generally with a main lobe beam width of 50 - 70 degrees, but vertically the energy spreads out very narrowly, like looking at a pancake from the side, the main lobe only spreading around 10 degrees. Think of an omni-directional antenna as a light bulb: It shines energy in every direction. The directional antennas on cell towers are more like having 3 HID car headlights on the tower, each one focuses energy in a specific direction.

You're not underneath the umbrella, you're on the edge of several intersecting pancakes from the sounds of it. Quantity of towers in your area means nothing. What matters most is if you have direct line of sight to one of them. If buildings or hills get in the way of you and the cell tower signal thats coming from the horizion, your coverage is going to be bad, regardless if the tower is a quarter mile away or 10 miles away.

Meat Mitts fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 11, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
First full day with the Droid Maxx and so far:

- 4 hours screen on time
- 13h20m unplugged
- 50% battery left

This was with one app running GPS most of the morning before I killed it so the numbers are probably a bit lower. Texted, emailed and browsed SA quite a bit today. I can't even stress enough how much you should go and get this phone if you're on the market for a new one. It just does so much poo poo better than my old Razr without feeling much different. The bloatware is overstated imo and isn't intrusive in any way. I really love the active notifications.

Also, when I get picture messages and drag down the notifications bar I get a preview of the picture. Do all phones on 4.2 do this or is this something new? I really like that feature.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
The 2yr contract for my Droid RAZR (first gen with the lovely battery life) ends at the end of Feb., and I want to upgrade to a 16GB iPhone 5S. Any ideas as to what Verizon will charge to renew my contract and do the upgrade? I'm guessing a leg and both testicles, in which case, so much for an iPhone.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You mean the activation fee? That's 30-35 dollars. Other than that the 16gb 5s's are 199 on contract.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

JP Money posted:

You mean the activation fee? That's 30-35 dollars. Other than that the 16gb 5s's are 199 on contract.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/

Half a testicle may be doable for me, then. $99 is what I paid for the 32GB Droid RAZR with 2yr contract via Amazon in 2012.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CapMoron posted:

My girlfriend and I are in a family plan that currently has unlimited data. If she upgrades her phone with a new contract and loses the unlimited data, am I screwed as well?

(I was planning on paying full price for my next upgrade).

When I upgraded from the Droid to the Galaxy Nexus a few months after they'd already ditched unlimited data, I was able to keep it. I don't think they can force you (yet) to give it up if you already have it. Don't let them talk you into the new EDGE plan - as it requires you to ditch unlimited.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DominusDeus posted:

The 2yr contract for my Droid RAZR (first gen with the lovely battery life) ends at the end of Feb., and I want to upgrade to a 16GB iPhone 5S. Any ideas as to what Verizon will charge to renew my contract and do the upgrade? I'm guessing a leg and both testicles, in which case, so much for an iPhone.
Right now or in February? If it's February, $199. If now, $649.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Right now or in February? If it's February, $199. If now, $649.

Feb. 28th, so almost 6 months.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wait, are you trying to pay an ETF to get an upgrade? I don't think they will let you do that if you want to keep your number.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can't end your contract early without paying early termination fees. Usually Verizon will let you upgrade a couple months before your actual contract is up. So if your contract ends in February, you might be able to upgrade with a new contract in December.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Where does this "usually" come from? I've never heard of Verizon allowing early upgrades except in the most extreme cases, and the upgrade cycle is every 24 months now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's always been that way for me. I last upgraded my phone in November 2011, I currently can upgrade my phone.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

For a while Verizon let you upgrade at 20 months IIRC.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

JP Money posted:

For a while Verizon let you upgrade at 20 months IIRC.

Yeah, this was changed during the summer. If your upgrade date was after September, you got bumped to the end of your contract.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

FordPRefectLL posted:

Yeah, this was changed during the summer. If your upgrade date was after September, you got bumped to the end of your contract.

Yeah that's what happened to me. Upgraded 3 months before contract end date, and the next upgrade date is 24 months on the dot.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

ProjektorBoy posted:

Verizon has done an oddly friendly thing with their phone variants in that they're unlocked for international use out of the box. You should be absolutely fine in just popping in the local prepaid SIM. You might have to manually set APN's to get data, but that's probably the only hurdle. Otherwise it'll be just text and voice.

An oddly friendly thing they are required to do by the FCC's restrictions on the 700MHz spectrum block they use for LTE: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/24/verizon-leaving-iphone-5-sim-slots-unlocked-as-required-by-fcc-network-access-regulations/

Don't think they do this for non-LTE phones (willing to be corrected if I'm wrong)

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Wait, are you trying to pay an ETF to get an upgrade? I don't think they will let you do that if you want to keep your number.

No no, I want to upgrade when my contract expires.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Then it will be $199/$299/$399.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

JP Money posted:

- 4 hours screen on time
- 13h20m unplugged
- 50% battery left

This was with one app running GPS most of the morning before I killed it so the numbers are probably a bit lower. Texted, emailed and browsed SA quite a bit today. I can't even stress enough how much you should go and get this phone if you're on the market for a new one. It just does so much poo poo better than my old Razr without feeling much different. The bloatware is overstated imo and isn't intrusive in any way. I really love the active notifications.

Also, when I get picture messages and drag down the notifications bar I get a preview of the picture. Do all phones on 4.2 do this or is this something new? I really like that feature.

Did you also get to look at the LG G2?

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Fuckin' A, then. I'm getting 7 hours of overtime this week, which will nearly half pay for it.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Endless Mike posted:

+$30 upgrade fee

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

SeaborneClink posted:

+$30 upgrade fee

+tax and AppleCare if you want.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

bam thwok posted:

I don't find the whole back buttons thing appealing. Screen is reported to be nice and the camera looks awesome but I'm pretty happy with my choice. I think either one is probably a solid choice but the near stock OS on the Maxx and aesthetics win me over to be honest.

The quad core looks to be pretty baller in the G2 though if CPU is something you care about.

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose

JP Money posted:

- 4 hours screen on time
- 13h20m unplugged
- 50% battery left

I'm in the same boat as you. Just upgraded from a gnex so this is a while new world of battery life for me. Loving the near stock experience, only thing I'm missing is root. I just want to hook up my ps3 controller and abuse my unlimited with tethering to see how much battery abuse this can take.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Congobongo posted:

I'm in the same boat as you. Just upgraded from a gnex so this is a while new world of battery life for me. Loving the near stock experience, only thing I'm missing is root. I just want to hook up my ps3 controller and abuse my unlimited with tethering to see how much battery abuse this can take.

http://phandroid.com/2013/09/11/verizon-moto-x-droid-root/

Someone mentioned this above. Keep your eyes open as I'm sure they'll figure out a way.

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose

JP Money posted:

http://phandroid.com/2013/09/11/verizon-moto-x-droid-root/

Someone mentioned this above. Keep your eyes open as I'm sure they'll figure out a way.

Looks like jcase posted some images of a rooted Maxx on the XDA bounty thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2431005&page=14

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Falco posted:

+tax and AppleCare if you want.

And if you have unlimited data, kiss it goodbye.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!
This has been described before in general but I wanted to get the exact steps down before I screwed things up. One dumb phone line (#1) on my family account has an upgrade available and I have unlimited data on my line (#2). The upgrade on 1 can be used on that line, and then the first time the new phone turns on it'll automatically activate on line 1. After that is complete, I'd go onto the account website and input the old dumb phone information for activation on line 1. And then input the new phone's information for line 2 for activation while preserving unlimited. I'm assuming this would lead to a day's charge of data on line 1. Correct procedure? Any better alternatives?

Edit: thanks Kensei!

Fiki fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 12, 2013

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Fiki posted:

This has been described before in general but I wanted to get the exact steps down before I screwed things up. One dumb phone line (#1) on my family account has an upgrade available and I have unlimited data on my line (#2). The upgrade on 1 can be used on that line, and then the first time the new phone turns on it'll automatically activate on line 1. After that is complete, I'd go onto the account website and input the old dumb phone information for activation on line 1. And then input the new phone's information for line 2 for activation while preserving unlimited. I'm assuming this would lead to a day's charge of data on line 1. Correct procedure? Any better alternatives?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=418225601

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

bam thwok posted:

The LG G2 looks fantastic.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
Figured this would be the best place to ask, I have a company issued Verizon Hotspot - can they track my web usage on my personal laptop? If so, how does that work?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

dongsweep posted:

Figured this would be the best place to ask, I have a company issued Verizon Hotspot - can they track my web usage on my personal laptop? If so, how does that work?

Unless you're getting on a work VPN from your personal laptop, your company isn't going to see what you're doing.

There's the ethical question of burning your company's data cap on personal use, but I think we could all agree this isn't the place to debate that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cuedotcom posted:

The LG G2 looks fantastic.
Too bad it's made by LG and has LG software.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

dongsweep posted:

I'd think they could see your data usage but not what it's being used on.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
Thanks. That is what I figured. I have unlimited data but I wanted to double check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

JP Money posted:

It just does so much poo poo better than my old Razr without feeling much different.

So it isn't laggy at everything like the OG Razr? It was such a piece of poo poo that it really soured me on Motorola phones. If that's the case I might reconsider when my contract allows me to upgrade.

The lag was so bad that it would take two or more seconds for the Swype keyboard to come up, the screen rotation took forever to sense and adjust, among other things.

• Locked thread