Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
What happened to the slides? I sort of recall Deb finding them last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Enallyniv posted:

What happened to the slides? I sort of recall Deb finding them last season.

I'm not 100%, but didn't Dexter send them off like Spock in to the incinerator with that Minotaur guy?

I honestly can't even remember why he did that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Narcissus1916 posted:

If you dick around with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dexter_episodes its pretty apparent how much of a turnover hurt the quality of the show.

The vast majority of the season one - two writers left in mass exodus after season four, probably after the original showrunner peaced out.

Didn't the showrunner leave at the end of Season 2 though? I remember that vaguely because it was a "big deal" at the time and people were already predicting a dip in quality with Season 3. There also seem to be a lot less Season 1 and 2 writers writing episodes after Season 2. That, plus Season 3 was the first one that was supposed to go into syndication on CBS, and the show started taking a lot less risks and Dexter started acting way more "sympathetic".

Also notice that new showrunner Scott Buck starts showing up in the writing credits of Season 3. It's really a loving miracle that Season 4 was so good since by all measures it should have been as bad as seasons 5-8.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

E: ^^^^ Nor are we going to get Harrison kidnapped by someone and nearly killed, apparently, even though like half the people Dexter seems to have been after totally have free access to that kid, or would just have to off his babysitter to get to him.

This was the season 6 finale.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

This was the season 6 finale.

Oh god I'm wrong about everything (and I've apparently forgotten it all too) :ohdear:

I thought she found his slides too, but now I kinda doubt what I'm remembering from this series.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

E: ^^^^ Nor are we going to get Harrison kidnapped by someone and nearly killed, apparently, even though like half the people Dexter seems to have been after totally have free access to that kid, or would just have to off his babysitter to get to him.

This happened in season 6 but I understand why you may have blocked it out.

Oops I didn't see there were more replies, sorry to remind you of season 6 twice in one day.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Season 6 had such great promise with its premise. A duo of serial killers using apocalyptic scripture to pave the way for the end of days with their tableuax.

The fact that the execution was so lovely is what truly killed the show to me.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Didn't Deb have the blood slides all laid out at the end of S07E01? I vaguely remember that. The first two episodes of that season were actually pretty good before we found out the writers had absolutely no idea where to go with "Deb finds out".

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

jisforjosh posted:

Season 6 had such great promise with its premise. A duo of serial killers using apocalyptic scripture to pave the way for the end of days with their tableuax.

The fact that the execution was so lovely is what truly killed the show to me.

Thankfully Hannibal rectified and more or less stole the use of "serial killer tableaux" from Dexter.

Entropic posted:

Didn't Deb have the blood slides all laid out at the end of S07E01? I vaguely remember that. The first two episodes of that season were actually pretty good before we found out the writers had absolutely no idea where to go with "Deb finds out".

I've never in my life seen a show where it's basically the writers saying, "alright, how can we go back to status quo as soon as possible?". Anytime something of significance happens (Doakes death, Rita's death, Deb finding out, Laguerta's death) the writers brush it off under a rug as if it didn't happen. Laguerta could have quit at the end of last season and this season could would have wound up here at the exact same way.

Breaking Bad spoiled us. I don't even remember 24 season 6 being this bad. That was "bad" but never- "this show has destroyed all goodwill that has come before it" bad.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

deafmute posted:

So in the treadmill gif that was posted before it took out some really important frames and with the frames it actually makes that scene much worse than it was originally... He's on the treadmill, he falls then as he gets ejected from the treadmill ages 10 years :psyduck:

Don't forget that he also somehow falls on his stomach on the treadmill and is ejected out the back head first. No wonder he got so hosed up. :v:

deafmute posted:

It gets MUCH worse than Ireland. That isn't a bad jump off spot at all if you were to bail.

The pain in my life is having a wife still super into both Dexter and Sons of Anarchy when both of those shows should have ended seasons ago. Dexter is hilariously stupid but SoA makes me really mad for some reason.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I laughed my rear end off when that bitch got her throat cut.

I'm now cheering for everyone to die.

The end of prison break was far worse. Even worse if you consider the tv movie.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

TLG James posted:

That was funny bad though, this is just boring bad.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

zylche posted:

That was funny bad though, this is just boring bad.

Prison Break was never touted as anything more than popcorn entertainment. Dexter is still being treated by the network as some high class show.

And I liked the Ocean's 11esque season. The last few episodes were dumb but never 'gently caress this show forever' bad.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I thought he still was and that he was just storing them in a different place? Did I explain that to myself somehow without the writers explaining it?

Also, Dexter really stopped killing a lot of people. Murders everywhere and Dexter's like "I must go get a DNA sample from this soda can!". Go hunt down some minnows while you're looking around for Saxon, drat. Stab some people.

To clarify, Dexter burned all of his slides part way through season 7. Laguerta had found a slide, and I think something, something Harrison getting older, something must burn all of the trophies of my victims regardless of how retarded that is.

You want to know what is really hosed up? Dexter has killed precisely one (1) person in a kill room this season. He's only killed three total, with the awkward stabbing of briggs (bet you have to look up who that is!) and the the oh so subtle curtain rod impalement.

Remember when he had a compulsion to do this poo poo? I sure do, and I really need to stop watching the first season, because poo poo is getting downright depressing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I will not allow anyone to associate the greatness that was Prison Break with this piece of poo poo show.

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
I'm not a monster it'sonlyamask.

Caros posted:

You want to know what is really hosed up? Dexter has killed precisely one (1) person in a kill room this season. He's only killed three total, with the awkward stabbing of briggs (bet you have to look up who that is!) and the the oh so subtle curtain rod impalement.

Remember when he had a compulsion to do this poo poo? I sure do, and I really need to stop watching the first season, because poo poo is getting downright depressing.

Briggs was ummmmm. Deb's drug addict boyfriend? Once upon a time Dexter desperately needed to kill people to maintain a mask of sanity. Now his imaginary dad who used to advise him on how to blend in has to actually beg him to kill someone. Really Makes U Think.

Really what even is the point of Head Harry anymore? Apart from lazy exposition he seems to only really be hanging around from pure force of habit. Most of this whole season just seems like force of habit, don't upset the apple cart, business as usual poo poo, even ignoring how totally awful it is. Definitely can't believe the finale is coming in two episodes! Even with Dexter's tendency to abruptly wrap everything up in a tidy bow and sweep it under the rug in the last episode to, like someone said, rush back to the status quo, the past couple seasons have had a lot more tension in the final run of episodes.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Dexter is truly incomparable in regards to a quality drop. It will be a case study in terrible, ruinous decisions that destroy the legacy of a series.

People will talk about Dexter in the same official, measured, clinical tone as they would in a breakdown of events surrounding a bridge collapse or some food contamination that kills schoolchildren.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Junkfist posted:

Dexter is truly incomparable in regards to a quality drop. It will be a case study in terrible, ruinous decisions that destroy the legacy of a series.

People will talk about Dexter in the same official, measured, clinical tone as they would in a breakdown of events surrounding a bridge collapse or some food contamination that kills schoolchildren.

Ah, so Dexter's bridge equivalent would be the Tacoma Narrows bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mclp9QmCGs

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 12, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ah, so Dexter's bridge equivalent would be the Tacoma Narrows bridge.

More like the Ashtabula Bridge Disaster. Not only was Ashtabula the worst disaster of its kind at the time, it got rid of a perfectly competent writer and inspired some of the worst writing ever seen.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Prison Break was loving awesome if you didn't take it seriously. It was hilarious and crazy. T-Bag forever.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I want Elway or whatever he's called because i honestly don't remember to win

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I am so angry that the trailers and promos for this show continue to be a billion times better than the actual show they're for.

That it includes stuff from the good years just feels like salt in the wound.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I forgot how funny season 1 is. I mean "grab a crayon psycho, and scribble this down" is a great line by itself, but the shot preceding it where Dexter is just rotating in a swivel chair underneath the crime scene photos with a moronic smile on his face is what makes it.

Also, what the gently caress did Saxon even want in the last episode "I want you to do for me what you did for Dexter" "no! I cant help you kill innocent people!" but Dexter doesent kill innocent people? Shouldn't you be happy for your son to become a "Perfect psychopath" like Dexter is?

Do you just want to learn how Dexter walks around free? Like you haven't been doing that happily for 30 years?

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 12, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Junkfist posted:

I am so angry that the trailers and promos for this show continue to be a billion times better than the actual show they're for.

I like how the second to last in the countdown is Saxon at #4 which I think is how many episodes he has been in. That's what I got out of that.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Anyone have a rough idea what page of this thread it was where daughtertits appears? I would love to read the reactions to that one.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

massive spider posted:

I forgot how funny season 1 is. I mean "grab a crayon psycho, and scribble this down" is a great line by itself, but the shot preceding it where Dexter is just rotating in a swivel chair underneath the crime scene photos with a moronic smile on his face is what makes it.

They knew how to break up the tension with a few humorous non-sequiturs. In fact, they ended the season on one and I still maintain that is the best ending they've done yet: that completely out of left field imaginary parade to Dexter (spoilered just in case) was amazing, along with MCH's best attempts at a creepy fake smile. I laughed not because it was particularly funny in itself but because of all the serious and tense moments that preceded it and how it caught me completely off guard. Now I just laugh at the gifs of dexter choking a guy who cut him off in traffic v:shobon:v

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

NC-17 posted:

Anyone have a rough idea what page of this thread it was where daughtertits appears? I would love to read the reactions to that one.

I do believe you're looking for page 51, however this was around people realized they should live-watch BB instead.

mortons stork posted:

In fact, they ended the season on one and I still maintain that is the best ending they've done yet: that completely out of left field imaginary parade to Dexter (spoilered just in case) was amazing, along with MCH's best attempts at a creepy fake smile. I laughed not because it was particularly funny in itself but because of all the serious and tense moments that preceded it and how it caught me completely off guard. Now I just laugh at the gifs of dexter choking a guy who cut him off in traffic v:shobon:v

Yeah you don't need to spoiler stuff from earlier seasons.

I actually defend Season 7 as one of the good seasons, even if it's at the bottom of that pack. It's mainly the first half but, silliness of a lot of the finale aside, the last shot of Dex and Deb walking side-by-side through an actual celebration looking totally destroyed was a clever throwback to the first season finale that I appreciated.

I also thought, foolishly, that the writers set themselves up for a good endgame that they might actually deliver on.

ALAS.

Junkfist fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 12, 2013

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Junkfist posted:

I do believe you're looking for page 51, however this was around people realized they should live-watch BB instead.

Yeah you don't need to spoiler stuff from earlier seasons.

I actually defend Season 7 as one of the good seasons, even if it's at the bottom of that pack. It's mainly the first half but, silliness of a lot of the finale aside, the last shot of Dex and Deb walking side-by-side through an actual celebration looking totally destroyed was a clever throwback to the first season finale that I appreciated.

I also thought, foolishly, that the writers set themselves up for a good endgame that they might actually deliver on.

ALAS.

Season 7 had easily the most interesting plot thread possible and in the hands of competent writers it could have been stellar TV, instead of mediocre. But yes, the whole exploration of the changing dynamics between Dexter and Debra basically had to struggle to keep it afloat among all the boring garbage b-plots they shoved in there. I agree with you, it was good, just not as much as it ought to have been. The whole Hannah plot was also impossibly stupid and it's unbelievable they're keeping her for another whole season.

Also, I don't know how I missed that parade reference in the finale but, wow, that's actually well done!

I've been unsuccessfully trying to watch season 8 and it's truly really unwatchable garbage, I keep trying to find something to do while it's on. It's so disappointing.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Junkfist posted:

quote:

Breaking Bad is nowhere near the level Dexters on. Its in its 5th season so to be fair you only compare it to the first 5 seasons of Dexter. And it doesn't even come close to the quality the first few season of Dexter had

Sounds fair :downs:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Dexter being a total weirdo in the first few seasons was great. It generated good comic relief and led to a lot of realistic interactions where the secondary character would get visibly weirded out by him.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

PostNouveau posted:

Dexter being a total weirdo in the first few seasons was great. It generated good comic relief and led to a lot of realistic interactions where the secondary character would get visibly weirded out by him.

The best part about this? In about 10 seconds he tries to give her head.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

TLG James posted:

I don't consider the movie canon. It helps me sleep better.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

vyst posted:

I don't consider the movie canon. It helps me sleep better.

If it makes you feel better, they planned on another season where Lori was in the womens prison for the season and they had to break her out..

13stitches
Mar 13, 2012

You were born free, you got fucked out of half of it and you wave a flag celebrating it.
Listening to the most recent episode of the Dexter review podcast of twoguystalking.com and they are slaughtering last Sunday's episode and pretty much everything. A real delight, no matter if they're analyzing Quinn ("a total loser") or Daughtertits and her pot problem.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

13stitches posted:

Listening to the most recent episode of the Dexter review podcast of twoguystalking.com and they are slaughtering last Sunday's episode and pretty much everything. A real delight, no matter if they're analyzing Quinn ("a total loser") or Daughtertits and her pot problem.

Dexter barely even stalks one guy anymore. I think two guy stalking is probably beyond his grasp at this late date, regardless of what sort of podcast they may have.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Dexter last season did not have this and that is what makes SOA better.

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
Maybe the writers sabotaged the final season in hopes of not "satisfying" viewers and getting five more years. Maybe they're hoping for a spin off.

Haha. I really shouldn't mistake malice for incompetence.

13stitches
Mar 13, 2012

You were born free, you got fucked out of half of it and you wave a flag celebrating it.

bobkatt013 posted:

Dexter last season did not have this and that is what makes SOA better.

The guy from Rocky Horror Picture Show really got really went off the rails it seems.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

13stitches posted:

The guy from Rocky Horror Picture Show really got really went off the rails it seems.

He just wants Dexter to have a family meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Tim Curry would actually be a fantastic Dexter villain. But I wouldn't wish that on him.

• Locked thread