Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i dunno why you'd build robots that are genocidally religious but i'm not a future cj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

i dunno why you'd build robots that are genocidally religious but i'm not a future cj

i think they bugged out or something

e; like when my roomba eats a cable or just starts slamming itno a chair forever lol haha

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

duTrieux. posted:

it doesn't explain why because the people involved expect watchers to just be all "oh, god did it! that makes sense because we are all part of god's plan. god is inscrutable, so there's no point in explanation anyway!"

lazy

i doubt the writers were that overtly lazy about it they just didnt think through how introducing divinity would drive the story of bsg. since they never really solved that it gave them carte blanche to make poo poo up to extend plot lines and ramp up the mystery while slowly eroding the narrative rules theyd built over the first season or two.

anyway bsg's fault didnt lie in using religious allegory (or outright fable) per se but they never used it as anything but a tacked-on mystery box to pull random plot points from. thats a guarantee ur gonna end up with an unsatisfactory narrative because you cant shake the impression that you cheated to get there (which you did)

Dr Monkeysee fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 13, 2013

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Smythe posted:

i want to go back to galactica and live there i want to go please.. make more bsg. i love that ship. i really liked the ep when it was all hosed up and the hull was groaning and stuff. because you went to diff parts and xplored her body.

i like how she can just take nukes to her hull plating. i like how she has hull plating and no deflector shields. i like how the cylons just loving shoot people wi bullets and poo poo.

I rewatched the miniseries with a friend the other day and remembered why i first fell in love

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Smythe posted:

i want to go back to galactica and live there i want to go please.. make more bsg. i love that ship. i really liked the ep when it was all hosed up and the hull was groaning and stuff. because you went to diff parts and xplored her body.

i like how she can just take nukes to her hull plating. i like how she has hull plating and no deflector shields. i like how the cylons just loving shoot people wi bullets and poo poo.

I rewatched the miniseries with a friend the other day and remembered why i first fell in love

agreed

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Smythe posted:

yeah basically everything up until they left new caprice was great. should have ended it with galactica loving up the jump out of the atmosphere, crashing into the planet, and killing everyone.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

post yer favorite galactica pics

(pegasus is cool too)

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Sudo Echo posted:

it's this one

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sudo Echo posted:

(pegasus is cool too)

epic thissery just everything just so epic so fuckin awesome

i ESP like when galactivca jumps into the atmopsphere and when it jumps out it goes WHAM which owns and u can see the air swirling in the vacuum it created jesus christ SO loving COOL WHAM!!!!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

dur posted:

it's this one

this bis is DEFFO the highlight of the whole series followed closely by the entirerty of mr gaetas fall from grace

i am also NOT spoilering bsg man I fuicking love that poo poo i want other people to watch it if they aint but c'mon man its like a decade old its like censoring rodebud or some poo poo lol

e: I'd like to take a moment to make it very clear, to all peoples, that when Galactica jumped out of the New Caprica atmosphere it was basically the high-fidelity recreation of hundreds of Lego battles where a giant, hulking space ship does this exact same thing and it was basically an imagination orgasm and the total fulfillment of any sci-fi fans childish dreams.

Smythe fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 13, 2013

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Smythe posted:

this bis is DEFFO the highlight of the whole series followed closely by the entirerty of mr gaetas fall from grace

i am also NOT spoilering bsg man I fuicking love that poo poo i want other people to watch it if they aint but c'mon man its like a decade old its like censoring rodebud or some poo poo lol

e: I'd like to take a moment to make it very clear, to all peoples, that when Galactica jumped out of the New Caprica atmosphere it was basically the high-fidelity recreation of hundreds of Lego battles where a giant, hulking space ship does this exact same thing and it was basically an imagination orgasm and the total fulfillment of any sci-fi fans childish dreams.

:swoon:

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Smythe posted:

this was definitely the highlight of the series, with the sense of urgency of everyone to get to their ships and escape, then with lee jumping in and sacrificing the pegasus to save the galactica

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
i finally got around to watching the last few episodes of futurama, which aren't overly terrible but it ends literally the exact same way stargate sg-1 did

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Sudo Echo posted:

(pegasus is cool too)

i went and looked up the adama manure and it was not very exciting if you havent seen the show

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the start of the miniseries to the middle of the second season (the end of resurrection ship part 2, after which it puts the serial story on pause for a bit) is pretty much the best milsf tv show ever made

after that it slides downhill with periodic flashes of the same greatness like the new caprica arc or the first cylon-centric episode or the cold open of season 4 which I still sometimes rewatch all on its own every so often

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

haveblue posted:

the start of the miniseries to the middle of the second season (the end of resurrection ship part 2, after which it puts the serial story on pause for a bit) is pretty much the best milsf tv show ever made

after that it slides downhill with periodic flashes of the same greatness like the new caprica arc or the first cylon-centric episode or the cold open of season 4 which I still sometimes rewatch all on its own every so often

i think 80% of the greatness of the show is edward james olmos tbh. without him it'd be mediocre at best.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
season 3 was the worst goddamn thing ever.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

rigberry enema posted:

i think 80% of the greatness of the show is edward james olmos tbh. without him it'd be mediocre at best.

all of the principal cast were amazing, there is no excuse for "sci fi acting" any more

someone's going to quote this and say they hated grace park but she never bothered me much

worst thing about galactica is how every show from now on has to have one character pestered by a dead person that only they can see

haveblue fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 13, 2013

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
some of the ship design and combat was cool. altho the fighter/missile screen always seemed needlessly wasteful and kind of stupid in that ships/missiles could just fly around it.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Shaggar posted:

some of the ship design and combat was cool. altho the fighter/missile screen always seemed needlessly wasteful and kind of stupid in that ships/missiles could just fly around it.

the DRADUS or whatever?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hrm, we've got two basestars here better just put them on the same side of galactica and fly everything right into the bullety bit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rigberry enema posted:

the DRADUS or whatever?

nah the guns shooting lots of bullets.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Shaggar posted:

nah the guns shooting lots of bullets.

oh yea. i liked that just for the wwii idea of it, trying to shoot down kamikazees or whatever they were going for with filling the skies with flak.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they have similar systems on irl ships that are basically just gatling guns that fire a shitload of bullets into the air as a last line of defense.

the one the us uses is entirely automated and has no iff system so it uses internal rules to determine if anything it sees is a target and then fires without human approval. its basically a stationary version of that big-rear end killbot from Robocop

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Shaggar posted:

they have similar systems on irl ships that are basically just gatling guns that fire a shitload of bullets into the air as a last line of defense.

the one the us uses is entirely automated and has no iff system so it uses internal rules to determine if anything it sees is a target and then fires without human approval. its basically a stationary version of that big-rear end killbot from Robocop

that seems like it would go wrong in hilarious ways

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I hated the final five poo poo because they just completely shoehorned it in and picked random characters for it for ~~dramatic effect~~

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

I hated the final five poo poo because they just completely shoehorned it in and picked random characters for it for ~~dramatic effect~~

it was :smith: to have to see tigh's wife in more episodes after he poisoned her.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

probably don't approach a carrier at broadside ~sea level, at supersonic speed and you should be cool

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

quote:

On October 11, 1989, the USS El Paso was conducting a live fire exercise off the east coast of the United States using the Phalanx against a target drone. The drone was successfully engaged, but as the drone fell to the sea, the CIWS re-engaged it as a continued threat to the USS El Paso. Rounds from the Phalanx struck the bridge of the USS Iwo Jima, killing a US Navy officer and injuring a US Navy petty officer.

On February 25, 1991, during the first Gulf War, the Phalanx-equipped USS Jarrett (FFG-33) was a few miles from the USS Missouri (BB-63) and the destroyer HMS Gloucester (D96). The ships were attacked by an Iraqi Silkworm missile (often referred to as the Seersucker), at which time the Missouri fired its SRBOC chaff. The Phalanx system on Jarrett, operating in the automatic target-acquisition mode, fixed upon Missouri's chaff, releasing a burst of rounds. From this burst, four rounds hit Missouri which was two to three miles (about 5 km) from Jarrett at the time. There were no injuries. A Sea Dart missile was then launched from HMS Gloucester in a 'tail end' engagement; destroying the Iraqi missile as it passed between Gloucester and the USS Missouri (BB-63), achieving the first successful engagement of a missile by a missile during combat at sea.

On June 4, 1996, a Japanese Phalanx accidentally shot down a US A-6 Intruder from the USS Independence that was towing a radar target during gunnery exercises about 1,500 miles west of the main Hawaiian island of Oahu. A Phalanx aboard the Asagiri class destroyer Yûgiri locked onto the Intruder instead of the target. Both pilots ejected safely. A post-accident investigation concluded that the Yûgiri's gunnery officer gave the order to fire before the A-6 was out of the CIWS engagement envelope.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

edit: shows what i know

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

there are actually shipboard systems like that in use atm for being docked (after the uss cole got suicide bombed). the system is all automated and it will give a verbal warning for anything approaching within x meters, then it will light it up. the uss cole bombing was a pretty big deal and you won't hear about poo poo like that happening again.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

guys there might be a snow crash movie!!!

http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog/2012/06/18/snow-crash-movie-back-on/

edit: aggh gently caress i just saw that that article is from 2012. nevermind.

Ganguro King fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 13, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ganguro King posted:

guys there might be a snow crash movie!!!

http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog/2012/06/18/snow-crash-movie-back-on/

edit: aggh gently caress i just saw that that article is from 2012. nevermind.

also see: dune remake, spawn 2

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

world war z: kind of meh, but there were some good bits

zombie outbreak on a plane in the air is a scary thought, though still nothing beats the parking garage scene from 28 weeks later

(lol @ israel being all altruistic and humanitarian by letting people in and then their downfall was palestinians singing too loud)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
world war z was two movies bolted together badly and it really showed

after they started doing the massive rewrites and reshoots they should have just quietly shelved it and moved on

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

yeah you can do a human-scale "here is the perspective of one dude fighting to survive a zombiepocalypse" or an epic-scale "here's militaries and governments battling it out with unstoppable zombie hordes" but it's pretty jarring to have them both in the same movie

like it's hard to get the same amount of dramatic tension from "brad pitt must walk down hall with three zombies in it" when in the previous scene there were helicopters machine-gunning literal piles of thousands of the things

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

also see: dune remake, spawn 2

who the gently caress cares about spawn 2 at this point, I might have been all over that poo poo had it been released like 15 years ago

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Trig Discipline posted:

finally saw oblivion

review: eh

literally the worst plot

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

nigga crab pollock posted:

literally the worst plot

no, that would be avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

ol qwerty bastard posted:

world war z: kind of meh, but there were some good bits

zombie outbreak on a plane in the air is a scary thought, though still nothing beats the parking garage scene from 28 weeks later

(lol @ israel being all altruistic and humanitarian by letting people in and then their downfall was palestinians singing too loud)

EDIT: goddamn that book was stupid.

• Locked thread