Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

SirDan3k posted:

I kinda liked that the mayor also had a full body tattoo barely peaking out from her suit in that particular fan art. I can see it becoming a meme where people of import in night vale just end up with these odd full body tattoos that could be easily covered but always just peek out a little bit.

I favor the notion that nobody in Night Vale gets tattoos, they were just born with marks and nobody thinks anything of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
In Night Vale, a baby can be born with a beautiful but terrible beard, as a super dense pellet, or as a severed grown man's hand (ew), so that seems plausible.

I sort of figure that when the population of Night Vale is described as "mostly human", it means that most people are completely human (Carlos), some are completely nonhuman (Hiram McDaniels), and the rest are a mixture (the Mayor).

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

iostream.h posted:

Just an FYI (and I just posted this in the Shortwave thread).
The PA (power amplifier) in my radio poo poo itself during the last test for some reason. It's out for repairs BUT, rather than use a high-end radio for this, I'm looking for a cheaper, older unit that will take the abuse a little bit better. I'm hoping to have it picked up, tested and ready to go by the end of September because if I CAN have it ready to go by then, an awesome thought struck me.

That thought was how awesome it would be to broadcast an episode a night for each night in October up until Halloween night, when I could marathon the last ones (with obvious rest periods between).

Curious if anyone's still interested, I'm sorry it didn't work out before but I'm still trying to get it done!

This makes me wish I had a shortwave radio.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I kinda want to record half an hour of shortwave static and warbles and mix it into episodes of Night Vale and tweak it a bit in Logic studio to make it sound like it's coming out of a shortwave receiver.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
I really enjoyed this series about Cecil's mother.

http://andreacecelia.tumblr.com/post/59625972239

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Just started listening to this and am about halfway through episode 16 as I type. The episodes are exactly the right length to fill up my drive to and from college so I've been listening to 2 a day for the last week or so and I'm really enjoying it. It's the perfect mix of surreal, creepy and humorous, and overall I have to say it's of excellent quality. It's a testament to Cecil Baldwin's voice that I can listen to just him talking for 1/2 an hour without growing tired of him.

Also, his blatantly obvious infatuation with Carlos is pretty adorable. I hope it goes somewhere, only on ep. 16 so I kind of expect it to happen in some way or another.

Edit:
Is Cecil-with-3rd-eye canon? That's kind of a big departure from how I imagined him looking. I always kind of liked to think of him as being exceedingly ordinary looking in an exceedingly un-ordinary town.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 9, 2013

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Feeble posted:

Is Cecil-with-3rd-eye canon?

No. Creators pretty much said no but fan art don't care.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

BooDoug187 posted:

No. Creators pretty much said no but fan art don't care.

The person running the headcanon Tumblr is pretty sick of being asked about it actually.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Hey maxmona are you at that point in the process of getting publicity where you're trying to come up with answers to the same questions over and over and over again? Because nobody tells you about that ahead of time. If you're in that place, you have my sympathy.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

dj_clawson posted:

Hey maxmona are you at that point in the process of getting publicity where you're trying to come up with answers to the same questions over and over and over again? Because nobody tells you about that ahead of time. If you're in that place, you have my sympathy.

Best thing is to create a FAQ.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

evilwaldo posted:

Best thing is to create a FAQ.

No I'm talking about interviews for magazines and other podcasts. In audio interviews you can kinda go way off topic in my experience and the person asking the questions can pick up on it if you're truly bored, but when you just get a list of questions to answer in an email and you've already answered them in five different places on five different websites you might want to throw your computer against the wall.

On the other hand maxmona and Craner seem creative enough to always come up with different things to say, so maybe that's just me talking.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

dj_clawson posted:

No I'm talking about interviews for magazines and other podcasts. In audio interviews you can kinda go way off topic in my experience and the person asking the questions can pick up on it if you're truly bored, but when you just get a list of questions to answer in an email and you've already answered them in five different places on five different websites you might want to throw your computer against the wall.

On the other hand maxmona and Craner seem creative enough to always come up with different things to say, so maybe that's just me talking.

My general attitude is that if they ask me a boring question (or a question that they would have known the answer to if they did the tiniest bit of research) then I'm just going to give them a boring answer. So generally I just say the exact same thing I said to the last three people for that question.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

dj_clawson posted:

The person running the headcanon Tumblr is pretty sick of being asked about it actually.

Eh, not so much now they she can direct them to her FAQ. It's the 'tell me what episode this phrase I vaguely remember is in thanks' requests that drive her nuts. Like she has the transcript memorized...?

You know what weirds me out is that Carlos abruptly has a team of 'scientists'. Did they come with him? Are the his own set of interns Night Vale somehow provided? I have a theory they're Night Vale citizens since they were cooing like birds at a clock. Or maybe I'm being too literal.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Wedemeyer posted:

Eh, not so much now they she can direct them to her FAQ. It's the 'tell me what episode this phrase I vaguely remember is in thanks' requests that drive her nuts. Like she has the transcript memorized...?

You know what weirds me out is that Carlos abruptly has a team of 'scientists'. Did they come with him? Are the his own set of interns Night Vale somehow provided? I have a theory they're Night Vale citizens since they were cooing like birds at a clock. Or maybe I'm being too literal.

I'm listening from the beginning, there has always been a team of scientists, and maybe they haven't always been ~his~, but they've been there.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Knockknees posted:

I'm listening from the beginning, there has always been a team of scientists, and maybe they haven't always been ~his~, but they've been there.

Yeah, that's my guess. They are mentioned in Episode 1 before Carlos is introduced, in reference to the house. Carlos has his own team of scientists, and then there's Night Vale's scientists. I've assumed Carlos's team is dead because they're not mentioned again after that episode I think. Also, we're definitely overthinking this.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Just now I discovered this neat thing on Tumblr called "Cooking with Clarice" which is presented as a cooking segment on Night Vale Community Radio. I think it has the tone of the show down pretty well and the narrator's English accent is delightful. :chef:

http://claricenightvale.tumblr.com/
Episodes

Looking forward to more episodes assuming Jon doesn't brutally murder her first. If he's a gentleman, he'll wait at least a couple of dates for that.

Action Yak fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 11, 2013

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Action Yak Police posted:

Just now I discovered this neat thing on Tumblr called "Cooking with Clarice" which is presented as a cooking segment on Night Vale Community Radio. I think it has the tone of the show down pretty well and the narrator's English accent is delightful. :chef:

http://claricenightvale.tumblr.com/
Episodes

Looking forward to more episodes assuming Jon doesn't brutally murder her first. If he's a gentleman, he'll wait at least a couple of dates for that.

I was wondering when/if the community was going to come up with more NVCR programming. I think its pretty interesting, but she needs to work on her sound quality. She definitely needs a Pop Filter to get rid of the breath noises. Some background music would help set the tone also.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Last minute live show announcement: San Francisco at the Booksmith on Wednesday 9/25 at 8. Tickets go on sale Monday at noon. Weather will be from Something Awful's own Satellite High.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

It being 12:20 am and not having the new episode be up makes me a probably banned catchphrase.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Not necessarily 100% Night Vale related, but I saw the New York Neo-Futurists perform Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind during my recent visit to NYC and Cecil was on the night's cast (which I feel makes it fair game to bring up here). Can't say I expected to be handed a cup of Cecil Baldwin's penis water, but there you go.

Anyway it was pretty fantastic overall and I think most of you who enjoy Night Vale would also enjoy their show, so go see it if you're in NYC on a Friday or Saturday sometime.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
LOVING the new episode. Just got to the Weather. I feel like you're not just tossing out concepts - there's a coherent backstory and plot hidden behind everything. I'm getting the urge to listen to all the episodes again and make some kind of chart.

This is probably the beginning of nightvale-induced insanity, isn't it?

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

The offhanded way that Carlos explained what was happening was hilarious to me. He really is getting used to the place! :3:
The whole episode was gold, of course, but that in particular made me laugh.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Woebin posted:

Not necessarily 100% Night Vale related, but I saw the New York Neo-Futurists perform Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind during my recent visit to NYC and Cecil was on the night's cast (which I feel makes it fair game to bring up here). Can't say I expected to be handed a cup of Cecil Baldwin's penis water, but there you go.

Anyway it was pretty fantastic overall and I think most of you who enjoy Night Vale would also enjoy their show, so go see it if you're in NYC on a Friday or Saturday sometime.

People usually refused to take the coffee, but Cecil told me that one night someone in a Night Vale t-shirt enthusiastically took it and seemed really excited about it.

...was that you?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Love how this week's weather thematically fit into the program.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

maxnmona posted:

People usually refused to take the coffee, but Cecil told me that one night someone in a Night Vale t-shirt enthusiastically took it and seemed really excited about it.

...was that you?
That was me! I didn't know I seemed really excited about it, I just sort of accepted it when offered and politely thanked him for it. It's just proper manners, you know?

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Loved the new episode. :) Is it too much to hope that the army is marching towards Desert Bluffs and their not-so-awesome god?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Annakie posted:

Loved the new episode. :) Is it too much to hope that the army is marching towards Desert Bluffs and their not-so-awesome god?

Desert Bluffs must have the Judeo-Christian God who never comes through with anything.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

dj_clawson posted:

Desert Bluffs must have the Judeo-Christian God who never comes through with anything.

You delightful fool. We here at Desert bluffs don't need a God to be happy and successful people. We have Strexcorp.

Strexcorp. For life. Strexcorp. For defense. Strexcorp. We're here for you.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Just listened to the "You" espisode last night. By far my favorite at this point. Maybe my favorite "radio" drama I've ever listened to.

I imagine that this episode lends the most credence to the "Cecil has a third eye" camp, although I still prefer imagining him as a pretty much regular dude. Personally, before I saw any fan-art, I pictured him as a tall skinny bald man in his 40's, crushing on a younger sexier scientist. Nothing I've heard so far gives me any reason to sway from that initial picture, so I'm sticking with it!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Tickets for the San Francisco show go on sale in a little under an hour. http://nvbooksmith.brownpapertickets.com

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Knockknees posted:

Just listened to the "You" espisode last night. By far my favorite at this point. Maybe my favorite "radio" drama I've ever listened to.

I imagine that this episode lends the most credence to the "Cecil has a third eye" camp, although I still prefer imagining him as a pretty much regular dude. Personally, before I saw any fan-art, I pictured him as a tall skinny bald man in his 40's, crushing on a younger sexier scientist. Nothing I've heard so far gives me any reason to sway from that initial picture, so I'm sticking with it!

Well, he's not short or tall, not thin or fat...

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

On sale now, yo http://nvbooksmith.brownpapertickets.com/

Never mind, it literally sold out in 10 seconds.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Every time I read "Satellite High" I think "City High". Boys and girls wanna hear a true story? Saturday night was at this real wild party...

Not a terribly good fit for Nightvale. :v:

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

maxnmona posted:

You guys should just bite the bullet and book Madison Square Garden.

Apr 23, 2002
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. Wait...

maxnmona posted:

Does this blow you guy's minds? I just think it's amazing that a thing can blow up like this, and move from where it was six months ago, to live events instantly selling out.

It's really exciting to see something worthy of praise get recognized by an audience, is what I'm getting at here in a rambly way. Yeah.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I got a little giggle out of the abrupt turn from asking for donations before the podcast, to "here are seven live shows we've already sold completely out" around the time this blew the gently caress up on tumblr.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Man, it is surprisingly hard to find SA swag to wear to this show.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Added a late show in San Francisco: http://nvbooksmithlate.brownpapertickets.com

On sale tomorrow at noon.

Vosenbergen
Jan 26, 2013

My only ingredients are HATE, VITRIOL, and FLUFFY BUNNIES

maxnmona posted:

Added a late show in San Francisco: http://nvbooksmithlate.brownpapertickets.com

On sale tomorrow at noon.

Anyone who wants to go should probably leave the window open in a browser and refresh it quickly just as they go on sale in order to get a seat!

Congratulations on the popularity, mate! It's amazing how quickly things like this sell out! And for good reason! If I lived anywhere remotely near that I would be there in a heartbeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

maxnmona posted:

Added a late show in San Francisco

Well, I definitely shouldn't, even if I technically can... but I might. Though given how the other events have gone fate and network latency will probably make sure that I won't, in any case.