Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

We got 45 minutes to the Monday EU line battle event.

Wow, is this really the only EU line battle we have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
We still have the EU Siege event for NW. I'll find one more EU event though around the weekend, just sorting stuff out IRL wise.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Does anyone want some melee training? I've been playing a bunch of crpg the last year, and can at least teach you guys some of the basics so you won't get destroyed so easily.

I'd prefer to do it on raw, but I could attempt it in NW, but I haven't bayoneted in a while.

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

The 19th century Neanderthal...

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Is there an event for americans tonight?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nope, no American events until the middle of the week.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I believe this is our current schedule. It's died down a lot since the summer sale.

code:

| Sun | Mon | Tue | Wed | Thu | Fri | Sat |
-----------------------------------------------
EU | RaW | NW  | NW  |     |     |     | RaW |
NA | NW  |     |     | NW  | NW  |     |     |

Also putting this in here because it should be on every page until it either updates or dropboxes:

Pantaloons L'Fragrant posted:

Hello, I've updated the music pack. Still no fifes yet. If you find anything you'd like on YouTube, let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vm9gc8aqxhfp2lx/Pants%20cool%20NW%20music%20pack%20v0.3.zip

Post edited to add more dumb poo poo! I took the time to tool around with the strings.txt. Here's the block you have to replace in the file:
code:
str_bugle_britain_1 Spanish_Flea
str_bugle_britain_2 Yakety_Sax
str_bugle_france_1 Spanish_Flea
str_bugle_france_2 Yakety_Sax
str_bugle_prussia_1 ?
str_bugle_prussia_2 Yakety_Sax
str_bugle_prussia_3 Spanish_Flea
str_bugle_russia_1 Yakety_Sax
str_bugle_russia_2 ?
str_bugle_russia_3 Spanish_Flea
str_bugle_austria_1 Strauch_Marsch
str_bugle_austria_2 Frohes_Leben_Marsch
str_bugle_signal_1 Assemble_the_Men
str_bugle_signal_2 Extend_Lines
str_bugle_signal_3 Close_Ranks
str_bugle_signal_4 On_Enemy
str_bugle_signal_5 Open_Fire
str_bagpipes_britain_1 All_the_Blue_Bonnets_Are_O'er_the_Border
str_bagpipes_britain_2 Bonnie_Dundee
str_bagpipes_extra_1 Black_Bear
str_bagpipes_extra_2 Amazing_Grace
str_bagpipes_extra_3 Balmoral
str_bagpipes_extra_4 Bonnie_Dundee
str_bagpipes_extra_5 Cock_o'_the_North
str_bagpipes_extra_6 Thunderstruck
str_bagpipes_extra_7 My_Home
str_bagpipes_extra_8 Scotland_the_Brave
str_bagpipes_extra_9 Skye_Boat_Song
str_piano_tune_1 Theme_from_Pokemon
str_piano_tune_2 Maple_Leaf_Rag
str_piano_tune_3 Erik_Satie_-_Gymnopedie_3
str_piano_tune_4 Binary_Sunset/Cantina_Band
str_piano_tune_5 Flight_of_the_Bumblebee
str_piano_tune_6 Bach_-_Prelude
str_piano_tune_7 Yakety_Sax
str_piano_tune_8 Sir_Duke
str_organ_tune_1 Springtime_for_Hitler
str_organ_tune_2 Ride_of_the_Valkyries
str_organ_tune_3 Imperial_March
str_organ_tune_4 Pirates_of_the_Carribean
str_organ_tune_5 Theme_from_Star_Trek
str_organ_tune_6 Yakety_Sax
str_organ_tune_7 Bach_-_Chromatic_Fugue
str_organ_tune_8 Bach_-_Chromatic_Fantasia
The ? is the third horn song which I can't recognize. I also don't know the names of the last two organ songs (Chromatic Fugue and Chromatic Fantasia). Note that there are 2 as-yet-unreplaced piano songs. Please correct any mislabeled songs. I am an uncultured boor.

Also, Pants apparently hates Austria as much as I do and didn't put in music for them.

My suggestion for one of the unfilled piano slots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCJVgR4y9l8

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 17, 2013

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I could probably learn to play recorder and lay some tracks.

Im downloading Hawken right now, anyone playing this? I am looking to nerd out tonight.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

EU Siege event in less than ten minutes goons! get in the Mumble if you want in on the action!

Pantaloons L'Fragrant
May 1, 2000

Yuss the re-proliferation and et cetera.

Gimnbo posted:

I believe this is our current schedule. It's died down a lot since the summer sale.

code:

| Sun | Mon | Tue | Wed | Thu | Fri | Sat |
EU | RaW | NW  | NW  |     |     |     | RaW |
NA | NW  |     |     | NW  | NW  |     |     |

Also putting this in here because it should be on every page until it either updates or dropboxes:

Post edited to add more dumb poo poo! I took the time to tool around with the strings.txt. Here's the block you have to replace in the file:
code:
str_bugle_britain_1 Spanish_Flea
str_bugle_britain_2 Yakety_Sax
str_bugle_france_1 Spanish_Flea
str_bugle_france_2 Yakety_Sax
str_bugle_prussia_1 ?
str_bugle_prussia_2 Yakety_Sax
str_bugle_prussia_3 Spanish_Flea
str_bugle_russia_1 Yakety_Sax
str_bugle_russia_2 ?
str_bugle_russia_3 Spanish_Flea
str_bugle_austria_1 Strauch_Marsch
str_bugle_austria_2 Frohes_Leben_Marsch
str_bugle_signal_1 Assemble_the_Men
str_bugle_signal_2 Extend_Lines
str_bugle_signal_3 Close_Ranks
str_bugle_signal_4 On_Enemy
str_bugle_signal_5 Open_Fire
str_bagpipes_britain_1 All_the_Blue_Bonnets_Are_O'er_the_Border
str_bagpipes_britain_2 Bonnie_Dundee
str_bagpipes_extra_1 Black_Bear
str_bagpipes_extra_2 Amazing_Grace
str_bagpipes_extra_3 Balmoral
str_bagpipes_extra_4 Bonnie_Dundee
str_bagpipes_extra_5 Cock_o'_the_North
str_bagpipes_extra_6 Thunderstruck
str_bagpipes_extra_7 My_Home
str_bagpipes_extra_8 Scotland_the_Brave
str_bagpipes_extra_9 Skye_Boat_Song
str_piano_tune_1 Theme_from_Pokemon
str_piano_tune_2 Maple_Leaf_Rag
str_piano_tune_3 Erik_Satie_-_Gymnopedie_3
str_piano_tune_4 Binary_Sunset/Cantina_Band
str_piano_tune_5 Flight_of_the_Bumblebee
str_piano_tune_6 Bach_-_Prelude
str_piano_tune_7 Yakety_Sax
str_piano_tune_8 Sir_Duke
str_organ_tune_1 Springtime_for_Hitler
str_organ_tune_2 Ride_of_the_Valkyries
str_organ_tune_3 Imperial_March
str_organ_tune_4 Pirates_of_the_Carribean
str_organ_tune_5 Theme_from_Star_Trek
str_organ_tune_6 Yakety_Sax
str_organ_tune_7 Bach_-_Chromatic_Fugue
str_organ_tune_8 Bach_-_Chromatic_Fantasia
The ? is the third horn song which I can't recognize. I also don't know the names of the last two organ songs (Chromatic Fugue and Chromatic Fantasia). Note that there are 2 as-yet-unreplaced piano songs. Please correct any mislabeled songs. I am an uncultured boor.

Also, Pants apparently hates Austria as much as I do and didn't put in music for them.

My suggestion for one of the unfilled piano slots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCJVgR4y9l8

New version up with updated text strings and Austrian musicians and a couple of new songs.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/08zgi0ffia9mjhi/LbzHQnvJmT

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Are the soundmods installed by just overwriting the original folders?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Are the soundmods installed by just overwriting the original folders?

Yes.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Thanks a lot for the update, Pants! There are just two errors in the new strings file.

The Austrian horn songs need to be switched like so:
code:
str_bugle_austria_1 Spanish_Flea
str_bugle_austria_2 Yakety_Sax
Because none of the horn strings actually point to the right sound file. NONE. Good job FSE. I forgot to mention that when I posted the original block.

The other is just replacing Prelude:
code:
str_piano_tune_6 Gonna_Fly_Now

Pantaloons L'Fragrant
May 1, 2000

Gimnbo posted:

Thanks a lot for the update, Pants! There are just two errors in the new strings file.

The Austrian horn songs need to be switched like so:
code:
str_bugle_austria_1 Spanish_Flea
str_bugle_austria_2 Yakety_Sax
Because none of the horn strings actually point to the right sound file. NONE. Good job FSE. I forgot to mention that when I posted the original block.

The other is just replacing Prelude:
code:
str_piano_tune_6 Gonna_Fly_Now

Updated again.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
So is it the opinion of the majority of you guys that we shouldn't play the Wednesday RaW event because of drama? It's an open event so you can attend it on your own anyway, but if enough of you like it I'm prepared to risk it as personally I found it fun despite the problems.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Personally I find Unnamed Insufferable Assholes easy enough to ignore even on a small event so I'm down to attend.

I also think it's blown out of proportion how insufferable they are. It's really not much different from Goons critiquing their team in other events.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 18, 2013

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

Gimnbo posted:

Personally I find Unnamed Insufferable Assholes easy enough to ignore even on a small event so I'm down to attend.

I also think it's blown out of proportion how insufferable they are. It's really not much different from Goons critiquing their team in other events.

I'll list the event in steam. Turn up if you have the patience, the mod itself is really fun especially since we've found our niche has high-speed-low-drag light infantry that reshape the battlefield to suit our whims. I think most of the hostility comes from the fact that we just burst into the community as a fully formed group.

Yummy Dead Cow
Nov 15, 2010

A yummy in every bite!
Anyone want to fill me in on what happened to the Raw event? I've only been to one event and there wasnt any drama that I could pick up on.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Ginmbo is correct, it's mostly been overstated. Basically, we get same kind of stick we get in NW when we get ourselves killed. Most of goons defensiveness comes from the correct assertion that we're new to the mod and also we're all useless idiots.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

It does annoy me that it feels like we've become a group that's eager to criticize but can't take criticism ourselves.

The reason I'm so vocal about siege arty is that it takes about 30 seconds of observing the game mechanics to learn to aim at the walls and not the little mans inside. I don't really begrudge people too much for a lack of aiming skills.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
I've just installed the Rome mod so I look forward to dying with my sandals on later. Also the other day I was on a trip around Liverpool and was introduced to the most amazingly ridiculous monument I have ever seen. Its the Nelson Monument in Liverpool next to the town hall. It has an incredibly buff Nelson being crowned by Victory whilst also getting touched by a skeletal death. Has "England expects every man to do his duty" around the it, along with reliefs of events in his life, which all have half naked well muscled men all over them. And last but not least, chained up men representing French prisoners of war all looking sad as hell on the very bottom.

Personally I can't wait to make a similar monument to our very own Nerdbot when the time comes.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Nurdbot has to be dressed as a Partizani though.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

So does anyone want some melee training before the raw event? You haven't said what time, but I'll probably be home before it starts. It will make all of you less useless. Just some basic stuff that will make your hits do way more damage and help you land them.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Event is at 7 BST aka 1 hour and 15 minutes away.

edit: Alan and anyone else playing RaW for the first time, make sure you make a new Warband profile with the [S*P*R*G] tag and the white dog in the red dot banner. Bonus points for making your usual handle sound Roman or Greek or Gaulish or whatever the gently caress.

Boogoose fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 18, 2013

Don Sultan
Aug 14, 2009

I am Sea Lion, hear me rwblbwoblbwoblbwoarr!

VulgarandStupid posted:

So does anyone want some melee training before the raw event? You haven't said what time, but I'll probably be home before it starts. It will make all of you less useless. Just some basic stuff that will make your hits do way more damage and help you land them.

We don't need no stinkin' melee training! Just press x and mash the attack button wildly.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Don Sultan posted:

We don't need no stinkin' melee training! Just press x and mash the attack button wildly.

Don't forget about the wiggle.

Oh, event is during normal person work time. I guess I won't make it.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

We finally found what we excel at.

Running.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Gimnbo posted:

We finally found what we excel at.

Running.

Running naked :colbert:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Running naked backwards.

SmashTheState
Oct 2, 2012

always be closing posted:

I could probably learn to play recorder and lay some tracks.

Im downloading Hawken right now, anyone playing this? I am looking to nerd out tonight.

Haven't played Hawken since before the last update. Pretty fun game but I got the feeling I was playing COD in a mech.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'd like to think that memorial is actually just dedicated to a day in the life of Nelson and his crew when they are at port.

We got a NW Siege event in around 40 minutes time. Come onto into the Mumble with us!

Pantaloons L'Fragrant
May 1, 2000

Also I am livestreaming tonight's event.

http://www.twitch.tv/lljkpants

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Oh I noticed that there were some death glitches in Pants' recording, where some bodies would remain upright and not fall to the ground, if you have the enhancement mod and have this glitch try setting the number of ragdolls to "unlimited" in your options...

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
The fact that only one of the goons in the regiment can shoot straight (deutschnozzle) is a source of never ending hilarity for me. Are there any 17th century pirate mods for this? That would just be the greatest thing possible :3

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Bitter Mushroom posted:

The fact that only one of the goons in the regiment can shoot straight (deutschnozzle) is a source of never ending hilarity for me. Are there any 17th century pirate mods for this? That would just be the greatest thing possible :3

Caribbean is supposed to come out... At some point.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Evek is known to snipe people, I notice spacemarine and LP like to hit people, and the same mysterious force that attracts cannonballs to Nurdbot seems to be swerving his bullets at people's heads lately.

As whole we're terrible marksmen but there's definitely more than one decent shooter in the group.

I sometimes wonder if there are times where we manage to wound but not kill an entire line. If the Warband velocity-damage system works the way I think it does with bullets we need to stop shooting uphill.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 19, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Getting and shooting dudes with the muskets it easy.

Shooting them while they are up hill, half the line is dying including our officer while dealing with the gun physics is something else.

All I cay say is don't 'spread' the reticule unless you are more or less point blank to medium range. Shoot above the head at long distances or chest height if they are slightly closer. Put the reticule over your target then fire the shot.

Spacemarine9
Feb 24, 2013
I either channel some kind of Napoleonic Death God and headshot about six people before dying or bumble about uselessly and shoot someone in the leg before being shot in the face myself.
But really, it's mostly just a matter of pointing the closed reticule at a man, and then aiming and firing at said man. Taking drop into account is probably the hardest part; you see a lot of volleys just landing at the feet of the dudes you're fighting. And, of course, the muskets themselves are so inaccurate that it's hard to tell if you're aiming too low or if you just fired a bullet that went low.
Musketing is hard, guys :(

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Of course, not to insult any other musket superstars in our midst. I've only done a couple of games! I seem to remember even downhill archery being weird when I played mount & blade the first many years ago. Some upwards curvature maybe? God knows how it affects musket balls, which you can't even see. I've had a bit more success this afternoon during a little warmup by planting the two bottom dots slightly above the enemy's waist.

That Carribean mod (or standalone?) looks like the game I've dreamed of ever since I played Cutthroats in the late 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It is a stand alone game using the Warband engine.

We got a NW event in around forty minutes tonight, show on up in the Mumble channel if you want in on the big hatted fun!

• Locked thread