Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pureauthor posted:

Where the hell is my FFV remake and prequel you stupids

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

What?

Why Square, why. TAY is pretty low on the scale of "desired remakes" even by the people who like the game.

On the plus side, maybe they'll make Harley not suck.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Pureauthor posted:

Where the hell is my FFV remake you stupids

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/final-fantasy-v/id609577016?mt=8

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Pureauthor posted:

Where the hell is my FFVI remake you stupids

That's more like it....

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

That would be awesome but I'd be worried that Matrix would gently caress up the remake.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

1st AD posted:

That would be awesome but I'd be worried that Matrix would gently caress up the remake.

But they have such a fantastic track record! I mean, they made Avalon Code and the FF3 remake! :v:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Eh, Dimensions is all right and I really like the FF IV remake.

But I'm worried that there is just so much plot and other poo poo to FF VI that they'll half-rear end some of the content.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest FFIV:TAY can only benefit from a remake.

The original game was designed to be released in an episodic format on cell phones. If they do a full-on remake instead of just updated ports of the cell phone game, they have the chance to actually fix some of FFIV:TAY's annoying designs or at least alter the mechanics a bit. The plot is hosed but y'know. A remake of FFIV:TAY is more likely to improve the game than a remake of FFV would be.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest FFIV:TAY can only benefit from a remake.

The original game was designed to be released in an episodic format on cell phones. If they do a full-on remake instead of just updated ports of the cell phone game, they have the chance to actually fix some of FFIV:TAY's annoying designs or at least alter the mechanics a bit. The plot is hosed but y'know. A remake of FFIV:TAY is more likely to improve the game than a remake of FFV would be.

A quick glance at the NeoGAF thread Mega linked indicates that they're releasing it in the same chapter format they used for when it originally came out as a cell phone game and as WiiWare. Make of that what you will. :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Are you loving kidding me.

Really.

Really.

Literally making a 3D remake of The After Years. Of all the games to give a 3D remake to, it's...really!?

I am now convinced, Square-Enix lives and feeds off of the tears of Final Fantasy nerds

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Huh. So supposedly Final Fantasy XIII-3 is going to have a limited number of enemies in the game. If you kill every last member of a species the last member of the species gets a power up and you get a reward for beating it.

That's a little unnerving. Kill every last living thing on the planet: The JRPG.

Edit: Also a hard mode with stronger enemies and unique skills.

I'm imagining the FF13 font popping up in the middle of a battle

GENOCIDE ACHIEVED!!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

1st AD posted:

Dimensions was alright. FF3 and 4 DS were... meh, at best. We'll see.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

On this, out of curiosity, is there any sort of raid finder or support for getting pug raids together? (you may not know, and if not, that's fine) I've been vaguely interested and your post actually kinda stoked that interest quite a bit.

There's a Looking For Group tool, yes. Party sizes are 4 for the earlier dungeons and boss fights, and 8 for the climactic ones, such as the last two story dungeons and Bahamut's Coil, which is -the- endgame raid. Bahamut's Coil is too hard for your avarage pick up group, though, but the raid that was cut for release, the Crystal Tower, will be 24-man and "easy" enough to do with a group picked by the tool, though I can't imagine it'll be WoW LFR level easy.

Actually, that's a fair point to mention: You cannot get through the story solo, as some story quests have you go through dungeons or boss fights that you have to team up with others to beat. If you play a DPS class like Dragoon or Pugilist, you'll have way longer queue times than if you play a tank/healer such as Gladiator or Conjurer, which is a thing to keep in mind. Luckily you can do other things while you wait for the queue to pop; level another class, do other side quests, work on your crafting or gathering classes, things like that. You can also actually choose to play with other language groups, there's a pretty good translation tool that allows you to communicate with them somewhat.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

How many hours did it take you to beat the main story? If I were to buy it and spend between 4 and 6 hours a day on it, could I get through it in the first month or two?

I'd say you could definitely beat the main story in the first free month you get as long as you're not hospitalized or something during it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

alcharagia posted:

But they have such a fantastic track record! I mean, they made Avalon Code and the FF3 remake! :v:
Avalon Code was almost brilliant, except they just had to go and make the launch attack button share the same key as examine :shepicide:

It's like, you fuckers have two goddamn shoulder buttons that are never even used. What

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That's just the annoying tip of the shitberg that is Avalon Code.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The After Years was only chosen because it was designed to be made up of recycled assets from Final Fantasy IV. Since they've already released FFIV on the iOS, it's just a matter of moving stuff around until it resembles the clusterfuck of The After Years.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
4 Heroes of Light is awesome. Matrix haters, vacate.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The setting of FFXIV is basically throwing XI's art style, XII's goofy dialogue (with pretense of seriousness removed), and IX's memorable NPCs into a pot and seasoned with a bucketload of filthy jokes.

If you get the collector's edition, it comes with a blu-ray that has the main story cutscenes from the 1.0 version (it's probably been uploaded to Youtube by now, or will be soon). The main villain, who is supposedly dead in Realm Reborn, has a scene where he ruins the party and walks into the flames like Sephiroth, only he's doing this ridiculous sashaying stagger while giggling to himself. Later he is confronted on a flying island and does something that results in widespread global devastation. If that also sounds familiar, good, because it was very clearly on purpose.

I really hope he's not actually dead, because god drat he deserves to be voice-acted.

Terper posted:

Actually, that's a fair point to mention: You cannot get through the story solo, as some story quests have you go through dungeons or boss fights that you have to team up with others to beat. If you play a DPS class like Dragoon or Pugilist, you'll have way longer queue times than if you play a tank/healer such as Gladiator or Conjurer, which is a thing to keep in mind. Luckily you can do other things while you wait for the queue to pop; level another class, do other side quests, work on your crafting or gathering classes, things like that. You can also actually choose to play with other language groups, there's a pretty good translation tool that allows you to communicate with them somewhat.

Read, take heed, and abide: Play a tank. Get up in foes' faces, none of that sissy flankin' poo poo. Die often, die gloriously. And get faster queues.

Plus one of the tank classes lets you do it with nothing but a huge fuckoff axe and how can you say no to that.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 19, 2013

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

4 Heroes of Light is awesome. Matrix haters, vacate.

Speaking of which, I'm just getting into this. Anything I should know beforehand?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Joey McChrist posted:

Speaking of which, I'm just getting into this. Anything I should know beforehand?
Front-row attacks target left-to-right, back-row attacks target right-to-left.

Disclaimer: it's been like three years since I played it, so I may have it backwards. Either way, the targeting is automatic, but predictable, in that mirrored fashion.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

New Final Fantasy 13-3 trailer. How many trailers can a game have? I dunno, but they're out to set a record.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Joey McChrist posted:

Have fun not actually playing with four heroes for a long, long time.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Terper posted:

There's a Looking For Group tool, yes. Party sizes are 4 for the earlier dungeons and boss fights, and 8 for the climactic ones, such as the last two story dungeons and Bahamut's Coil, which is -the- endgame raid. Bahamut's Coil is too hard for your avarage pick up group, though, but the raid that was cut for release, the Crystal Tower, will be 24-man and "easy" enough to do with a group picked by the tool, though I can't imagine it'll be WoW LFR level easy.

You're not helping the fact that I really shouldn't be interested in this due to lack of time to play a subscription MMO, damnit. :smithicide:

(For real, though, that sounds awesome when coupled with the fact that there's a class that gets two Carbuncles :D)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

gently caress the carbuncles. The orange tank Carbuncle shits out threat and is a better tank than actual tanks at lower levels. :(

Here's some more actual Lightning Returns Valkyrie Profile gameplay.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Joey McChrist posted:

If you're a completionist, don't sell any items ever, talk to every animal you see (exactly one is missable), and there's one boss fight a little over halfway through you want to steal from and lose over and over to grind Diamonds to save you a worse grind later. Also, there's a secret buff of +30% to animal attack when you have a Beastmaster in the party.

If you're not? Nah, man. Have fun.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm playing FFT: WotL and am trying to get Agrias' birthday scene for that sweet, sweet Tynar Rouge. However, since this is my first playthrough I knew nothing about it when I started, and while I luckily kept her two mooks around I fired Ladd about as fast as I got him. The internet seems entirely split on whether he's needed for the event, and though logically it doesn't seem like he should matter, not being affiliated with her, I can't get the event to spawn on Cancer 1st. Is there something I'm missing?

E: Nevermind, the wiki only mentioned castled cities not working which I assumed were those that sold heavy armor and had 'castle' in the names, but turns out Dorter isn't an eligible city either. Ended on Gollund instead and it triggered.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 19, 2013

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

TGS Final Fantasy XV trailer

Yes, it's more or less the same as the E3 trailer. Siliconera promises there's minor differences in there, though. I think I saw blonde guy do Noctis' teleporting move and that shot of blonde guy and huge sword guy standing inside Noct's weapon barrier is a new thing, too. What differences can you find?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Level Slide posted:

TGS Final Fantasy XV trailer

Yes, it's more or less the same as the E3 trailer. Siliconera promises there's minor differences in there, though. I think I saw blonde guy do Noctis' teleporting move and that shot of blonde guy and huge sword guy standing inside Noct's weapon barrier is a new thing, too. What differences can you find?

That's some pretty terrible quality, here's a better capture of it.

And yeah, I could spot a few new things, most of it around the 2:50 mark.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Speaking of FFT, its creator, Yasumi Matsuno, is working a new Tactical RPG called Unsung Story. It's for mobile platforms and this specifice game will be part of a cross promotional universe by Playdek. Christophe Boelinger, a board game designer, is working on a card game that ties into the game's universe

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/09/19/final-fantasy-tactics-and-vagrant-story-director-introduces-new-project.aspx

Considering Playdek's past works, it probably won't have microtransactions but instead have a core game have with DLC/expansion packs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Never played any of Boelinger's games, but I've heard good things about Archipelago and Earth Reborn, which he designed, so I'm kinda optimistic about that front.

I think tactical RPGs would work well for mobile if designed around their strengths, i.e. a focus on touch-screen controls and allowing you to save mid-battle to be more pick-up-and-play-ish. Not sure how optimized FFT was to iOS/Android in those regards, but hopefully it'll be just as full-featured as a handheld game would've been.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Terper posted:

That's some pretty terrible quality, here's a better capture of it.

And yeah, I could spot a few new things, most of it around the 2:50 mark.

Would you or someone else mind sharing the differences you saw for us working scrubs behind a filter?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The only difference I could see was a shot where Noctis dives off a bridge when it gets attacked by the Leviathan, everything else was from the two trailers at E3.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Noctis hangs on his sword while poo poo's exploding and soldiers are falling to their deaths around him. He's picked up by two of his boy-toys while chatting with a third. Blonde dude slides on the ground and shoots a soldier.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Terper posted:

gently caress the carbuncles. The orange tank Carbuncle shits out threat and is a better tank than actual tanks at lower levels. :(

But.. they're adorable! :(

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Terper posted:

Here's some more actual Lightning Returns Valkyrie Profile gameplay.

Looking better and better. Also, LR needs more trailers. All of the trailers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Square Enix to take bold move of releasing complete Lets Play before the game comes out.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Terper posted:

New Final Fantasy 13-3 trailer. How many trailers can a game have? I dunno, but they're out to set a record.

If they are, they've still got a way to go.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Joey McChrist posted:

Enemies level up with you, including bosses. Normally this is not an issue, but if you're level 99, then you'll have to have invested more into weapon and armor upgrades.

Guest party members have unique equipment. Steal it from them before they leave. There are some other missable items. Nothing missable is strictly necessary, but some of it's good stuff.

For most jobs, the second ability unlocked is the most useful. You rarely need the final ability.

Gems drops are mostly determined by region. If you want to grind, use a Merchant or two. Never sell Amethysts or Diamonds, no matter how badly you need the money. Generally speaking, the minigames in Urbeth are the best way to earn money.

Black Mage is the best job in the game. Salve-Maker is a more efficient healer at low levels, but White Mage surpasses it by the end. The secret to beating the final boss is to have a Bard in your party. It's worth unlocking Beastmaster and then turning all of your party members into animals.

In areas where you can talk to party members, remember that the party leader will also have some comments if you switch.

I'm pretty sure the hundred-floor bonus dungeons are lovely.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

Square Enix to take bold move of releasing complete Lets Play before the game comes out.

Capcom beat them to it with DmC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

So I guess that's Ceodore in those TAY screenshots.

"Huh?!?" sure must be a long phrase in Japanese...