Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eh, you either hate the Tennant years or you don't, I guess. Rose had to grow on me, but I didn't think she was so bad, and "It's all a big joke and I'm having fun!" (which was Amy's main way of operating too) is better than "Doctor, I wanna go hoooooooome!" or a the "I'm too awesome to be impressed with time travel" poo poo you get with some companions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

jivjov posted:

I kind hope that the Christmas Special is also titled in the ________ of the Doctor format. Make is a loose trilogy of sorts.

I'd wager it'll be something like "Fall of the Doctor" considering the "Fall of the Eleventh, Trenzalor" nonsense from Dorium's Head.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I'd wager it'll be something like "Fall of the Doctor" considering the "Fall of the Eleventh, Trenzalor" nonsense from Dorium's Head.

I thought we already got The Fall of the Eleventh at trenzalor.

"How do we get down there?"
"We fall! Geronimo!"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Astroman posted:

I hope even more it's not the "insufferable twee I love traveling through space and time and it's all a big joke" Rose we saw in Tooth and Claw.

It's going to be season 2-era Rose. 10 is in his season 2 outfit and hairstyle, and that's the only time he was wearing that specific look while still traveling or doing anything with Rose.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Capaldi's first episode is totally going to be called Twelfth Night

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
^^ Totes.

Wow, Tennant looks old in that poster. Well, not *old right now* exactly but very much on the cusp of it like the skin on his face is going to wake up soon, get a kicking from middle age and just fall down to his knees in a jowly, saggy mess.

Possibly.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sentinel Red posted:

^^ Totes.

Wow, Tennant looks old in that poster. Well, not *old right now* exactly but very much on the cusp of it like the skin on his face is going to wake up soon, get a kicking from middle age and just fall down to his knees in a jowly, saggy mess.

Possibly.

I mean, he kind of just looks like he's 42 years old.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Hey, I finally caught up so now I can read this thread!

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
Tennant looks "old"? What? I also heard someone say he'd gotten fat. Again. What?

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
I wonder if Moffat is bothered by the "Bad Wolf is important because it gets spread through time because it's important" aspect and is trying to give independent significance to it. By making it a code name for the Dalek genocide, for instance. It's the kind of retcon GMS likes.

I'd like that if he didn't make it somehow even more stupid. I live in hope.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

pgroce posted:

I wonder if Moffat is bothered by the "Bad Wolf is important because it gets spread through time because it's important" aspect and is trying to give independent significance to it. By making it a code name for the Dalek genocide, for instance. It's the kind of retcon GMS likes.

I'd like that if he didn't make it somehow even more stupid. I live in hope.

John Hurt's incarnation was not worthy of the name The Doctor, instead going by the Bad Wolf. :v:

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Or it's just as simple as "Rose could see the future from the Anniversary special and seeded Bad Wolf there too to be consistent". It doesn't have to be anything beyond the scope that's already been established.

I suppose that's unlikely if they're putting it in the poster, unless that's just become shorthand for "Rose" now.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well Rose was pretty much the TARDIS at that point. She could see everything ever.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Daric posted:

Hey, I finally caught up so now I can read this thread!

If you cared about being spoiled why would you ever come into a spoiler thread?

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Senor Tron posted:

If you cared about being spoiled why would you ever come into a spoiler thread?

I didn't check this or the other thread out until I had caught up either. I think there's just a difference between casting spoilers/leaked photos and 'here's a breakdown of the last episode and why I liked/didn't like it.'

Also, if you aren't caught up most of the discussion will be meaningless.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TheChad posted:

I didn't check this or the other thread out until I had caught up either. I think there's just a difference between casting spoilers/leaked photos and 'here's a breakdown of the last episode and why I liked/didn't like it.'

Also, if you aren't caught up most of the discussion will be meaningless.

Yeah, this is what I do. It's easy to duck out of the spoiler thread once plot summaries start hitting, but if you're behind on watching (and I always am by at least one day), you have to wait to catch up on. Just kind of the way it works.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

jisforjosh posted:

John Hurt's incarnation was not worthy of the name The Doctor, instead going by the Bad Wolf. :v:

That could actually be plausible, although not "Bad Wolf". The Daleks rattled off their nicknames for The Doctor in Asylum of the Daleks, and one of them was never mentioned on the show before that point: "The Predator".

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Silhouette posted:

one of them was never mentioned on the show before that point: "The Predator".

That's from when he fought Arnie in the jungle. "hmmm new teeth! Weird"

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

cool kids inc. posted:

Juliet Landau?

Edit if this is some big old who person, sorry :(

Quoting myself just to say It IS Juliet Landau and I feel a hell of a lot less crazy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Perhaps lending credence to some earlier rumors:

Peter Davison posted:

I have got a copy of the script which has got my name embossed across it. So it’s top secret, but there’s other stuff, lots of other things that are going on that people should keep their eye open for around the 50th anniversary special!

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/did-peter-davison-drop-a-big-hint-on-the-50th-53076.htm

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Or maybe they just gave him his own copy because they knew Tennant would just show it to him anyway. I love imagining Sunday lunch at the Davison house. :allears:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if, as a kid, David Tennant wanted the 5th Doctor to be his dad. You know, like a lot of little kids want their role figures to be their parents.

I wonder how proud ChildTennant is that adulthim made that happen.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Or maybe they just gave him his own copy because they knew Tennant would just show it to him anyway. I love imagining Sunday lunch at the Davison house. :allears:

The convention videos Davison made where Tennant shows up and tells him to stop hanging around are hilarious.

Some people are speculating that Davison might be playing Omega in a 5th Doctor's body again. Though that might be a reference too far to pack into one special, it would make sense that if the Time Lords where bringing back Rassilon, they might bring back his Best Frenemy Forever Omega for the last act of Gallifreyan Society. Or hell, maybe the Daleks would recruit him. "Hey, you hate Gallifreyans, right? So do we!" :haw:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Astroman posted:

The convention videos Davison made where Tennant shows up and tells him to stop hanging around are hilarious.

Some people are speculating that Davison might be playing Omega in a 5th Doctor's body again. Though that might be a reference too far to pack into one special, it would make sense that if the Time Lords where bringing back Rassilon, they might bring back his Best Frenemy Forever Omega for the last act of Gallifreyan Society. Or hell, maybe the Daleks would recruit him. "Hey, you hate Gallifreyans, right? So do we!" :haw:

They already did that in the BF audio "Omega".

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Well, apparently Davison will have some sort of role in the 50th.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/davison-on-50th-im-making-an-appearance-somewhere-53107.htm

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hopefully he's just being cagey about it to keep us on edge and not because the role is a brief interview for a retrospective to be aired in the scene breaks of An Adventure in Time and Space.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Burkion posted:

I wonder if, as a kid, David Tennant wanted the 5th Doctor to be his dad. You know, like a lot of little kids want their role figures to be their parents.

I wonder how proud ChildTennant is that adulthim made that happen.

Even better is that Tennants kid has The Doctor as both his father and grandfather,

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Senor Tron posted:

Even better is that Tennants kid has The Doctor as both his father and grandfather,
And The Doctor's "daughter" is his mother.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Regarding the finale:

Steven Moffat posted:

“Oh, never mind the TARDIS blowing up, what about the endless, bitter war Kovarian was on about? And what’s Trenzalore? And the oldest question in the universe? And what exactly do they mean, silence will fall? Anyway, I’m off to a readthrough…”

Yes, completely ignore the questions people want answered, by all means.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

The_Doctor posted:

Regarding the finale:

Yes, completely ignore the questions people want answered, by all means.

I think he's trying to hint that the answers will demonstrate it's all connected together, because of his master plan or whatever, but it's not going to be as cool as he thinks.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Blah blah Puzzle Box blah. I really hope he gives this stuff a rest when Capaldi takes over (he won't).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Barry Foster posted:

Blah blah Puzzle Box blah. I really hope he gives this stuff a rest when Capaldi takes over (he won't).

He's new puzzle box will be the Doctor's regeneration limit and Jenna Louise Coleman's acting limit.

The answer to both of course is that they are close to reaching their end.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Is that quote from some recent thing? We know the deal with most of that stuff (Trenzalore is where the doctor died, the oldest question in the universe is "doctor who?" and the meaning of "silence will fall" changed from episode to episode in accordance with the whims of Moffat) so it sounds like he's making fun of people who want answers by saying they've already got them. Which I guess is better PR than saying "eh, it sounded cool so I chucked it in" at least.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

2house2fly posted:

so it sounds like he's making fun of people who want answers by saying they've already got them.

It sounds more like he's saying, "You thought we gave you the answers? That was a clever trick, just wait until the REAL answers to those answers are revealed!"

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

Diabolik900 posted:

Hartnell wore a wig for something like 130 episodes, so I think McGann and Smith just need to man up a little.

Really? I had no idea Hartnell wore a wig!

Burkion posted:

I've said this in the main thread and I'll say it here.

gently caress what New Who has done to the Cybermen.

I like the Gaiman episode redesign but yeah they haven't been great since Troughton (and Spare Parts)

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/capaldis-past-appearances-not-ignored-53407.htm Well that's interesting, hm?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Well, the show did the same thing with Gwen, Martha, and (I think?) Amy, so it makes sense they'd keep the trend up.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

If this is what people were bitching over a few pages back it seems harmless. It's just "The Doctor can use other people as inspiration for his next form if he so chooses".

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Chairman Capone posted:

Well, the show did the same thing with Gwen, Martha, and (I think?) Amy, so it makes sense they'd keep the trend up.

I don't think they mentioned Amy's Roman life in the show at all.

computer parts posted:

If this is what people were bitching over a few pages back it seems harmless. It's just "The Doctor can use other people as inspiration for his next form if he so chooses".

Romana did this exact thing when she regenerated.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I'd like to know how they fit Frobisher in. I don't know how the Doctor would find out about that, but Frobisher did seem like a decent guy placed forced into a shitpile of a situation.

Kevos Setzer fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Kevos Setzer posted:

Edit: Now that I think about it, I'd like to know how they fit Frobisher in. I don't know how the Doctor would find out about that, but Frobisher did seem like a decent guy placed forced into a shitpile of a situation.

Moffat's probably referring to Capaldi's role in The Fires of Pompeii.

• Locked thread