Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Hace posted:

I really don't get the hype behind this, it just looks clunky and slow every time I see it.

Me and you, buddy. :respek: The movement reminds me of the grappling from Tenchu, where your character just weightlessly glides across the map like a balloon on a clothesline.

I only saw one episode of the anime, but their grappling mechanisms looked faster and conveyed a much better sense of weight and momentum than this. This just looks bland and lazy by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Well I think I'm ready to strike Bravely Default off the list. I knew nothing about the game and just kind of assumed it was something other than Square's typical DS chibi Final Fantasy ugly. And that VA did no favors.

Kirby too seemed kind of lame to be using messy rear end polygons. Hasn't that series kind of had a penchant for looking unique?

VVV If their development process for the game was literally write down all the Zelda conventions and then not do them they could make the game a strict 3-heart run.

kater fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 1, 2013

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Best secret thing from the direct today was them going "Guess getting one person for each point ain't enough. Alright bump it up to six." after looking at the Streetpass Relay numbers.

I felt the same way. I'll actually start taking my 3DS with me now when I leave the house.

With the freedom they are giving us in the new Zelda, I wonder if there is still going to be a order of difficulty the dungeons follow like the original Nes game or if they are going to scale damage based on the number of dungeons you've completed. I guess my concern is Nintendo tends to cater towards new players sometimes and it seems a little surprising they would let you run into the second to last dungeon where you'll probably get 1-hit killed by everything.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
The AA5 ended at just the right moment for me to stare at my 3DS and be crushed that I can't play the rest of the game right now.
It just looks and plays so good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

kater posted:

Well I think I'm ready to strike Bravely Default off the list. I knew nothing about the game and just kind of assumed it was something other than Square's typical DS chibi Final Fantasy ugly. And that VA did no favors.

Kirby too seemed kind of lame to be using messy rear end polygons. Hasn't that series kind of had a penchant for looking unique?

BD is generally well anticipated because it's like 4 Heroes of Light, ergo, Final Fantasy from the old days, and not recent style they've taken it.
And if you think it's ugly, you have bad eyes. :colbert:
Also Dual Audio!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

BD has some absolutely phenomenal visuals, yeah.

The music is also obviously great as well, just listen to this world map music.

Terper fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 1, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

It looks like it's playing on the same engine FFIV DS used only updated for better graphics and textures. I approve.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Streaming some rune factory 4 soon if anyone's interested http://www.twitch.tv/roguelike (until then, you can thrill at the rune factory 4 download screen).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hace posted:

I really don't get the hype behind this, it just looks clunky and slow every time I see it.

Yeah, I really like the show and I want a game based on it so bad, but let's face it: It's a game based on an anime, and those are never good. I cannot imagine this one being anything but total garbage. But it'll never see a release outside of Japan either way.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Are all 3DS games supposed to come with club nintendo codes or only specific ones? I didn't get one with my physical copy of RF4.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

THF13 posted:

Are all 3DS games supposed to come with club nintendo codes or only specific ones? I didn't get one with my physical copy of RF4.

Physical cartridges are hit or miss, but all digital ones give points.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

THF13 posted:

You can also register by serial number, at least on consoles. That's how I registered my DSi since I long ago lost the box and whatnot with the Club Nintendo stuff in it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

THF13 posted:

I think every first party game I've bought has had a code but 3rd party games are hit or miss.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

You can also register by serial number, at least on consoles. That's how I registered my DSi since I long ago lost the box and whatnot with the Club Nintendo stuff in it.

New consoles (post DSi) consoles come with a club nintendo code, and to get points you need the code or the serial number AND the code. If you do the SN by itself it asks for a CN code or else it doesn't give you anything.

I used to troll ebay back in the day for pictures of consoles for sale, then register their serial numbers for CN points. When the 3DS came out they put a stop to that. I have like 25 GBA SPs and six or seven DS Lites registered because of this.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I haven't watched the US Nintendo Direct outside of a few of the standalone trailers on YouTube, but was anything said about Theatrhythm Curtain Call? I saw the JP Direct got some info and footage about it, but I haven't heard anything regarding a US release. :ohdear:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It looks like it's playing on the same engine FFIV DS used only updated for better graphics and textures. I approve.

FFIV DS engine with ability to turn off random encounters at will (or turn it up to eleven for grinding purposes). I approve!

And my wallet is gonna hurt because I heard about the Collector's Edition and I want it badly! :negative: Unless the CE kinda sucks.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Obeast posted:

I haven't watched the US Nintendo Direct outside of a few of the standalone trailers on YouTube, but was anything said about Theatrhythm Curtain Call? I saw the JP Direct got some info and footage about it, but I haven't heard anything regarding a US release. :ohdear:
I'd be pretty surprised if we didn't get Curtain Call, unlike most Square games there's not a whole lot of localization and they probably make an assload off of DLC.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

I'd be pretty surprised if we didn't get Curtain Call, unlike most Square games there's not a whole lot of localization and they probably make an assload off of DLC.

Yeah I tend to avoid DLC in general but I got kinda suckered into it with Theatrhythm because I'm a terrible Final Fantasy nerd. I think I bought something like 15 songs.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

At the very least, with all the spotpass issues, they should let you exchange Miis with people on your friend list.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I know I'm a little late, but Kirby can loving suplex again!
That power alone has raised my hype.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

At the very least, with all the spotpass issues, they should let you exchange Miis with people on your friend list.

Ooohhh drat that would be like endless easy Spotpasses. Would probably have to put some sort of time constraint on how often you could do it.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Terper posted:

The music is also obviously great as well, just listen to this world map music.

How can you not post the battle theme?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, avoid the internet if you hate spoilers.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Dehry posted:

I can't believe clerks are putting poo poo out this early, even in that security plastic thing. I was at Gamestop earlier today and they just had some display copies that even said "promotional material only" or something like that.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Dehry posted:

gently caress my life, why don't I live here.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Dehry posted:

Ohhh, I should go see if my local shitball game store broke street date!

(Not likely, but hey.)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

homeless snail posted:

That's true. Plus, the first game was pretty well received here and looks like it did alright in terms of sales for a game catered for dedicated fans of a particular series (and maybe even that crowd of us who wants more awesome touchscreen-centric rhythm games like Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan).

Also, outside of a US release, my biggest hope is that they include this song (I'd be fine with it being DLC just as long as it's there).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr0pNEnJ2dI

I know everyone loves Aeris' actual theme that plays during that scene, but this one is much better IMO. :colbert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I've never played a Pokémon game. From some posts a few pages ago, it seems that mainline Pokémon games play almost like a Shin Megami Tensei: Is this true?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Wark Say posted:

I've never played a Pokémon game. From some posts a few pages ago, it seems that mainline Pokémon games play almost like a Shin Megami Tensei: Is this true?

There is a Pokemon thread with a good summary of the current generation, the history of the franchise, and a few bits on what Gen 6 will have. I've never played or heard of Shin Megami Tensei but looking over the wiki...uh, well, they're both turn based, I guess?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Wark Say posted:

You command minions you caught in turn based fights and that's where the similarities end.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Pretty much yeah. Pokemon aren't as disposable as SMT demons, the advancement system works totally differently, and Pokemon is not nearly as challenging, but they are both games about collecting and training monsters.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Bland posted:

You command minions you caught in turn based fights and that's where the similarities end.

Isn't SMT pretty Rock Paper Scissors?

Pokemon is Rock Paper Scissors like a motherfuck.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
I am inordinately tempted to restart my just-started Rune Factory 4 file and name my princess "Arthur". Please tell me I'm not the only one feeling this way already. Then again, by naming Frey "Kylie", I have completed the circle of scrambling all the main character names from the first to the last...

edit: Wait, is Frey voiced by Laura Bailey? How about that. Oh and Vishnal is Vic Mignogna. I didn't expect to recognize so many voices right off!

Shoopuf fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 1, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kater posted:

Isn't SMT pretty Rock Paper Scissors?

Pokemon is Rock Paper Scissors like a motherfuck.

It isn't RPS. Each demon has its own strengths and weaknesses. You want to hit the weaknesses and avoid the strengths but it isn't reliable. There's no "this is an ice demon so it is weak to fire" like Pokemon.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 2, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ImpAtom posted:

There's no "this is an ice demon so it is weak to fire" like Pokemon.

Well, someone made of ice is probably weak to fire but it's less prevalent.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
There's a fairy pokemon type now? :stare:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

There's a fairy pokemon type now? :stare:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That leak image from earlier is real. There are at least 3 people playing and posting to the web right now.

You probably want to go to the Pokemon thread if you want to discuss it.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516989

You probably want to shut off all internet access if you want to avoid it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for all the helpful replies, dudes! I'm sure at some point down the road I'll play it, it just... doesn't seem to catch my interest right now.

It's an RPG where you recruit/capture your party members and it seems that it encourages you to use strategies when battling, I guess? It also seems to reward you for venturing to find out stuff on your own, which makes it a definite attention-grabber. I'm just not sure that I can actually have time to play it, since I'm going back to work and I do have a good lot of titles to play (thanks to this thread, too ;))

vvvvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
If you're an adult now and haven't played any pokemon games before then you're not their target audience and I'm not sure why you would care to start now.

• Locked thread