Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jsr v2.0 posted:

Typically, tanks hate being told what to do, or being challenged in any way. Just look at this thread. They'll drop instance if 1 DPS is doing something they don't like, loving over everyone else.

Just accept that tanks will do what tanks will do, and don't do anything to challenge the status quo.

I don't mind suggestions on how to not be a lovely tank. I think I'm doing fine but there are times when we die and I question what I'm doing and I'm always open to suggestions. That being said, my first 8 or so runs of AK I was told to position the end boss 4 different ways. Nowadays I tell the party "he's going to face me in the corner" and that's that. I really should get into the habit of letting some of the party die if they are clearly in the wrong but I keep saving them if it's an option because I just want to get these tomes and be the gently caress out :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kevin mung
Jul 15, 2013

by Shine
Does that japanese announcement about server transfers say anything about transferring from JP to NA servers?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Gerdalti posted:

I seriously copy mine to dropbox daily.

What file(s) should I be looking at to do this? I will do the same.

Flagrant Homo
Jun 17, 2004
Herpes Holocaust
With server transfers imminent, how is Exodus doing, activity-wise? I was thinking of transferring there rather than Excalibur, since I have an IRL friend on the server in addition to the Zeon free company. I'm a level 50 WAR and I'd like to do endgame-y things.

Edit: Oh, and I'm usually a night person due to my job but have weekends off (sometimes).

Farbror
Sep 18, 2012

Thank god for the server transfers. I rolled on a really boring and dead EU server because I didn't know any better. All the nice folks I meet in PUGs are from somewhere else.

I have a question too. I'm enjoying tanking a bunch in this game so far, but there are some things I still haven't been able to find out. I'm only around level 20 still, but I was wondering at what level is it time to start using crowd control? Also, have I understood things right in that BLM and THM are the only classes which have access to one?

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

THE PWNER posted:

How does the parser randomly give him more damage? Does it report some things twice or something? I thought it's only bad with activity time and not picking some things up.

Something about it counting dot ticks as the full damage of your next attack or something. It was explained to me once but I forget the exact reason.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I did a quick translation of the Yoshi-P post on server transfers. You can read it here.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Farbror posted:

Thank god for the server transfers. I rolled on a really boring and dead EU server because I didn't know any better. All the nice folks I meet in PUGs are from somewhere else.

I have a question too. I'm enjoying tanking a bunch in this game so far, but there are some things I still haven't been able to find out. I'm only around level 20 still, but I was wondering at what level is it time to start using crowd control? Also, have I understood things right in that BLM and THM are the only classes which have access to one?

White Mages get a sleep as well, and a few other classes have binds that can function as CC, but aren't as good. CC is never needed in dungeons when pulling correctly, but it can be helpful and is extremely useful in fixing a bad pull.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

Sheep posted:

Neither option is available because the only response is "That operation is not permitted." It's like one of those DVDs where you can't jump to the top menu during the previews, except the previews are the login application and there's no fast forward button aside from logging back in.

Re: shutting off with the PS3, are you getting this when the UI is missing? because I always log out of the game using the playstation home button and turning off the system.

strange that yours isn't permillting that.

Chucat posted:

This makes me wonder if players are scared to tank because of the responsibility that is (possibly incorrectly) thrust upon them for some reason.

Especially since any attempt to possibly split that responsibility is met with quite a bit of resistance.

Regarding tanking, this is the first MMO that I have tanked, and to be honest I was pretty nervous about sucking in the first few encounters. Didn't want people to realise I was sucking in such a spotlight role. I'm glad I rolled that a tank to start, because it has been fun, and I think going outside my dps comfort zone is the reason it's been so much fun.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Ragequit posted:

Character settings are stored in the FFXIV_CHR* folder

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ragequit posted:

Drive:/Users/<username>/My Documents/My Games/Final Fantasy XIV/

The character settings are the folders with FFXIV_#################### for a name.

The system settings are FFXIV.cfg

The rest is screenshots and patch data.

You really only need one of those FFXIV_##### folders, although figuring out which is your character is probably more trouble than its worth. Each character (on each account) gets one folder for their stuff.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

THE PWNER posted:

How does the parser randomly give him more damage? Does it report some things twice or something? I thought it's only bad with activity time and not picking some things up.
Battle log doesn't show damage from dots. So it's guessing what the damage on dots is

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

ilifinicus posted:

Battle log doesn't show damage from dots. So it's guessing what the damage on dots is

Oooh, i was wondering how it reports dot damage when the log shows none. That's a pretty dumb way to do it.

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom
So me and a handful of RL friends ended up having to roll on Famfrit in order to play together due to the character creation restrictions. I think we want to leave this server to go someplace more populace. Are there any other non-Excalibur FC's that are accepting non-goons? Basically, we just want a larger presence then 8 people who intermittently log on so we can fill a party for content as needed. I know I see Midgardsormr and Exodus as the largest ones according to FFGoons, but not much talk about what their invite restrictions are.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

appletonoutcast posted:

So me and a handful of RL friends ended up having to roll on Famfrit in order to play together due to the character creation restrictions. I think we want to leave this server to go someplace more populace. Are there any other non-Excalibur FC's that are accepting non-goons? Basically, we just want a larger presence then 8 people who intermittently log on so we can fill a party for content as needed. I know I see Midgardsormr and Exodus as the largest ones according to FFGoons, but not much talk about what their invite restrictions are.

Why not just come to Excalibur?

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Boten Anna posted:

Both Excal FCs are full, aren't they? Are there any plans to do an inactive purge when they open up transfers?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Francis posted:

Both Excal FCs are full, aren't they? Are there any plans to do an inactive purge when they open up transfers?

DGKK isn't full, and PBC has been regularly removing inactive characters.

If you're in DGKK now, are at least level 30 on one class, and want to move to PBC, talk to someone with the "Enforcer" rank or higher for help on switching to PBC.

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

Boten Anna posted:

The Chairman posted:

DGKK isn't full, and PBC has been regularly removing inactive characters.

I was given the impression from FFGoons that only established posters would be allowed to join the FC, and that friends were out of luck. Especially considering I'd be bringing at the very least 8 with me, if not some more. :(

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.

appletonoutcast posted:

If you guys come to adamantoise you can join up with me and my semi-RL friends. We're pretty lovely people, but we're gearing up to do 8-mans and have a vent server to hang out in. You're especially welcome if you've got any level 50 healers and/or tanks :)

We're a pretty small group, too. If you're looking for a group that's already deep in end game then that's not us.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

Which one of you motherfuckers is Aachu Achu?

I wasn't joking.

Wow..I didn't really expect this, but you sir are a saint! I'm Aachu Achu, btw. What was your IGN?

Also do you want anything for all that work? I only have like 25k but I could tip! Also, I can make level 40 or lower cloth items if you need any.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

appletonoutcast posted:

I was given the impression from FFGoons that only established posters would be allowed to join the FC, and that friends were out of luck. Especially considering I'd be bringing at the very least 8 with me, if not some more. :(

'Established' generally means not a 1 month old J4G.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

appletonoutcast posted:

Yeah, this is my issue too. I've got a friend who plays, and he has two friends that play, and the four of us have the world's tiniest Free Company on Midgardsomr. Thankfully, we're nowhere near endgame yet, but we're not sure what we're going to do once we get to the point where we need eight people in a Mumble :smith:

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

Cabbit posted:

'Established' generally means not a 1 month old J4G.

Well, let me rephrase that. I'm the only regular poster, two have SA accounts that I bought for them that they never use, and the rest don't even know this site exists. I just want a chill group of people to hang out with and have a resource to fill up our group when we want to do 8/24 man content and don't have the bodies.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

appletonoutcast posted:

Well, let me rephrase that. I'm the only regular poster, two have SA accounts that I bought for them that they never use, and the rest don't even know this site exists. I just want a chill group of people to hang out with and have a resource to fill up our group when we want to do 8/24 man content and don't have the bodies.

If you don't care about what server you join beyond having a larger group of people, you could join Muscle Wizards on Cactaur. It's got a decent amount of goons in it but isn't actually a goon guild, and at primetime there's usually 25 or so people on.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Is nobody doing Toto-Rak? I've been in queue for upwards of five minutes, as a healer, and it hasn't so much as found a DPS yet. :psyduck:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Wizard posted:

Is nobody doing Toto-Rak? I've been in queue for upwards of five minutes, as a healer, and it hasn't so much as found a DPS yet. :psyduck:

It's hands down the worst dungeons in the game, and nothing could ever make me run it a second time.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Pomp posted:

It's hands down the worst dungeons in the game, and nothing could ever make me run it a second time.

*clears throat*

Aurum Vale.

DracoArgentum
May 29, 2011

appletonoutcast posted:

Midgardsormr's FC has a friends and family plan. It's pretty casual.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

*clears throat*

Aurum Vale.

Aurum Vale at least drops a cuddly wuddly mawbowo pet.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

appletonoutcast posted:

Even if we wait it out before approving the j4g friends, you can still form groups with them then find people in either FC to fill out whatever it is you want to run, and there's a lot of affiliated linkshells that do not require FC membership to join, so please don't worry about it. It's really nice having a relatively easy time finding a full group to run pretty much anything, any time. That said if you show up and are pleasant to do things with, that's all we're really looking for before letting all your friends in :v:

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

appletonoutcast posted:

Join the FC, start a linkshell for your friend group. Problem solved.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

KillTrash posted:

Here's a video where this monk pulls some pretty good DPS by using the Flank rotations only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVDqzSBUhKY

I did hear the dps parser was broken, but that should've been fixed by now, right? I'm not too surprised an all-flank rotation is good, even though it seems the laziest. I've been kinda doing that since hitting 50 and nobody's complained about me being a bad.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
Using the Dragoon flow-chart from the above, I wrote out a set of macros for a friend who has just gotten to Dragoon. Would anyone care to refine this and/or fix the cooldown times that I'm sure must be incredibly inaccurate?

http://pastebin.com/6QqrBkPb

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Vil posted:

Aurum Vale at least drops a cuddly wuddly mawbowo pet.

I just did Aurum Vale and thought it was pretty cool, what's the problem with it?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

goldjas posted:

I just did Aurum Vale and thought it was pretty cool, what's the problem with it?

It conspires against ACN and it's jobs.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

goldjas posted:

It's PUG Hell and incredibly dull in design and aesthetics.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Bland posted:

It's PUG Hell and incredibly dull in design and aesthetics.

I've done every dungeon so far with a PUG just fine including this one.

Also, my healer when I ran Aurum Vale was a Scholar and he seemed to do fine?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Ok so I finally got to level 15 and I *think* got back on line with the main story. Does this sound right: I fight some renegade guards and then the princess honors me by sending me on delivery quests all over the world? I end up finally on some pirate type island with a few level 15 quests. I'm now in a town called Aleport where there's some level 15 content.

Had to buy a weapon because I never got one from a quest. 200-some gils down the drain, but now I have a level 15 dagger.

One problem I'm noticing is that on my mini-map, I'm not seeing quest icons, quest turn-in icons, and fates. Is there a setting somewhere that I can hit?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

goldjas posted:

I've done every dungeon so far with a PUG just fine including this one.

Also, my healer when I ran Aurum Vale was a Scholar and he seemed to do fine?

There is no way for an ACN to use the fruit on his pets. So they die in both boss fights with that mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
edit: never mind

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 2, 2013

• Locked thread