Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I really don't like Domination. It feels like a TF2 0 respawn time server, just utter craziness, people spawning behind you and poo poo. I hope that last bit is unintentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

When do you get a Battlepack? When you reach Rank 3?

That's when I got mine.

From what I played last night I think one of the major takeaways was that getting the gently caress beaten out of your team no longer means a complete spawn lock that you can't break no matter what. We lost by a few hundred tickets last night never realizing we were down that much. In BF3 you knew when you were getting the poo poo beaten out of you because they were in your spawn or trapping you as far back as they could manage. Shanghai, at least, doesn't have that problem, or at least I didn't see it come up that way.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

I really don't like Domination. It feels like a TF2 0 respawn time server, just utter craziness, people spawning behind you and poo poo. I hope that last bit is unintentional.

The spawning sucks in general right now. I've had more than a few occasions where I'd kill a guy only to have 2 or 3 of his buddies spawn on his corpse

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I finished a fairly standard game trying to grind recon up to where it becomes actually useful ( :negative: ) and somehow unlocked about two dozen weapon mastery dogtags for guns that aren't in the beta. I love you dice, never change

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

mcbexx posted:

I keep reading people practically fellating the RFB, but I still don't get it, even after getting the Heavy Barrel. At any range there is at least one gun that would be better. Even if I manage to sneak up on someone just sitting and aim for the head, they turn around and waste me before I can get a second hit in.

Body shots all the way. RFB fires plenty fast enough. Headshots are a nice bonus but you don't really need those. Also, RFB is fairly accurate so try to engage from bit further away.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

mcbexx posted:

I keep reading people practically fellating the RFB, but I still don't get it, even after getting the Heavy Barrel. At any range there is at least one gun that would be better. Even if I manage to sneak up on someone just sitting and aim for the head, they turn around and waste me before I can get a second hit in.

The HB is where you went wrong. It's already more than accurate enough so you should be using attachments that lower recoil. Ay-Sea-Oh-Gee with canted sights to let you use it at both range and up close, and the angled grip to lower recoil. Just stay away from the HB.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Systematic posted:

I dunno... Upgrade to windows 8? Not convinced

I'd probably do it just to do it now that people are more positive about it if it didn't cost 120 loving dollars for an upgrade.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Just had two great rounds with pubbies. Me as an engineer, with the good fortune of having two good recons who would lase targets. I must have downed at least 10 helicopters and destroyed 5-6 tanks in the last round alone.

Has anyone had their text chat abruptly stop working? I was typing messages to my squad, but they wouldn't send when I hit enter.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I unlocked the AK 5C yesterday and now I'm back to full on Spec Ops class from BF2. Except it's even better because I have wizballs now in addition to C4. No one is safe. :unsmigghh:

They really need to making counter knifing slightly more difficult though. Either reduce the arc from which you can counter knife or add a second possible button to press. I got counter-knifed multiple times when I was definitely getting a clean approach from the side. It seems as if you can counter from a full 180 degrees in front of you.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

suboptimal posted:

Just had two great rounds with pubbies. Me as an engineer, with the good fortune of having two good recons who would lase targets. I must have downed at least 10 helicopters and destroyed 5-6 tanks in the last round alone.

Has anyone had their text chat abruptly stop working? I was typing messages to my squad, but they wouldn't send when I hit enter.

I was having good look as an engineer this morning on PS3. Just politely asking for any recon in the area to lase a chopper got me almost immediately locks anytime I needed them.

Then the beta hardlocked my PS3. I had to pull the power cord.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 5, 2013

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Gazaar posted:

I'd probably do it just to do it now that people are more positive about it if it didn't cost 120 loving dollars for an upgrade.

There was never anything wrong with Win8. Pretty much everything people bitch about is optional. It takes 10 seconds to install classic shell and get the start button back and disable the stupid charms menu on desktop and then you have the best windows. Runs super fast, metro is actually great for using it as a fancy start menu where you can make custom app icons with oblytile and there are a couple windows metro apps I actually use daily like big picture and some news/stock/weather apps.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Apparently the USAS battle pickup can be reloaded from Support gadgets, as long as you do not shoot it empty. :v:

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

suboptimal posted:

I don't know what it is, but it seems like I'm the only person in most of these pub games that realizes Engineer is a class and not some mythical Unicorn like being. It's like 40% Recon, 30% Assault, 20% Support, and 10% Engineer. It was fun at first because I got a lot of vehicle kills. Now its getting increasingly frustrating because I want to try one of these other classes, but every time I'm not babysitting my team against vehicles they get demolished.

In lighter news, I freaking love that boat, especially the Chinese one. The American one is difficult to repair from the 4th seat, I had to target the Missile Launcher thing in order to get it to start repairing. With the Chinese one, I can target the tannish box left of the jet ski. It's like a transport helicopter with an extra gun, except its easy enough to pilot that even complete failures can move it around. I really want a map with two Aircraft Carriers and sorties of these boats fighting it out to blow the carriers up with jets and helos fighting above.

Bubakles
Jul 24, 2007
Po babitos una te babito kokeros
Double post sry

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Downloading this now, what is a good beginner's choice class to familiarize myself to the engine?

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
I've been mostly playing Engineer since the beta launched and like others have mentioned asking pubbies in chat to laser a target can actually work sometimes. Now that I've unlocked the AK 5C I have started running recon more since I'm not stuck with the stupid sniper rifle and am getting good scores spotting and painting targets. I really like the versatility they are allowing classes.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

The spawning sucks in general right now. I've had more than a few occasions where I'd kill a guy only to have 2 or 3 of his buddies spawn on his corpse

Yeah a soldier from another squad and I overwhelmed another squad and capped a point because all our mates decided to spawn on us. It was pretty hilarious but I would be pissed off to no end if that kept happening to me.

e: Engineer is also a great deal of fun and I'm really happy RPG's fire awfully fast. Shame I have to pump all my rockets into a tank to disable it though. Is it like BF2 still where the treads/rear armor are still the best places to hit a tank? I'd rather take more time and fire two well placed shots than exhausting all my rockets to get the same effect.

buglord fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 5, 2013

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Asehujiko posted:

Downloading this now, what is a good beginner's choice class to familiarize myself to the engine?

Doesn't really matter but Assault is probably the safest since they have a good weapon and can heal themselves quicker. Engineer is useful in the bigger version of the map due to all the vehicles though, Assault can't do much against them.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Changing my key bindings on an empty server when suddenly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWZ60S_13Sc&hd=1

pew pew, you're dead.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
Also running Windows 8.1 and the game is running pretty drat smooth. Only time I ever get stutters to me seems to be the first time I enter C after the building collapses but that seems like it's just loading too much at once.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Avocados posted:

e: Engineer is also a great deal of fun and I'm really happy RPG's fire awfully fast. Shame I have to pump all my rockets into a tank to disable it though. Is it like BF2 still where the treads/rear armor are still the best places to hit a tank? I'd rather take more time and fire two well placed shots than exhausting all my rockets to get the same effect.

The score notifications tell you how much damage you did to the tank - shooting the front doesn't do much, but two in the rear end will either kill it or set it on fire, and you also get +50 for "mobility kill" (which seems to happen every time when shooting the rear but only sometimes with the tracks)

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Avocados posted:

Is it like BF2 still where the treads/rear armor are still the best places to hit a tank? I'd rather take more time and fire two well placed shots than exhausting all my rockets to get the same effect.

Shooting it in the back does the most damage. It will tell you when you hit that you get 23 vehicle damage points, meaning you did 23 damage to the tank. If you get it in the back you will do 55. You will also do extra damage if you hit a target being painted by a recon.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

OGS-Remix posted:

I unlocked the AK 5C yesterday and now I'm back to full on Spec Ops class from BF2. Except it's even better because I have wizballs now in addition to C4. No one is safe. :unsmigghh:

They really need to making counter knifing slightly more difficult though. Either reduce the arc from which you can counter knife or add a second possible button to press. I got counter-knifed multiple times when I was definitely getting a clean approach from the side. It seems as if you can counter from a full 180 degrees in front of you.
That's how it's supposed to be. You need to backstab and lag is always going to be a factor.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Oh my god the Type88 :stare:

Unlock it and never use any other gun again.

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955065213799782582/1/

DICE posted:

We will most likely patch the game during the Beta (PC). We have already patched the servers a few times.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Does the Battlelog mini-map-on-the-iPad thing work yet? I noticed the app has updated, but I cant figure out where to go in the app if it is working.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I joined a game and now I'm stuck with a loading screen covering 90% of my screen while I'm apparently in spectator mode somewhere outside the map. I tried updating my video drivers, I tried updating windows and I tried updating punkbuster, nothing works. Any suggestions?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

The last Battlefield game I played was Battlefield 2 (it came out after Vietnam, right?). I played like 10 seconds of 2142 and never touched 3, Bad Company, etc. However, BF4 is looking amazing, even if it is on Origin.

What are your impressions from the beta? Is it worth a buy on the PC for someone who hasn't followed the series since 2?

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Olive Branch posted:

The last Battlefield game I played was Battlefield 2 (it came out after Vietnam, right?). I played like 10 seconds of 2142 and never touched 3, Bad Company, etc. However, BF4 is looking amazing, even if it is on Origin.

What are your impressions from the beta? Is it worth a buy on the PC for someone who hasn't followed the series since 2?

It's very fun and the way you can change your class makeup allows you to build the classes from bf2 basically. Like the recon can use a sniper and a laser designator, or use a carbine and c4 to be a spec ops kind of dude.

That said it's in open beta so why not just try it yourself?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Asehujiko posted:

I joined a game and now I'm stuck with a loading screen covering 90% of my screen while I'm apparently in spectator mode somewhere outside the map. I tried updating my video drivers, I tried updating windows and I tried updating punkbuster, nothing works. Any suggestions?

I've had that for the last 2 days. I updated punkbuster today (which failed midway) and while I still get that, it actually lets me join the game after 5-10 seconds of that happening.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Olive Branch posted:

A hard question? Did you stop playing games altogether or have you been playing another game or some thing?

The basic dynamics haven't really changed, it's still infantry and vehicles etc, they have refined the infantry combat (shooting/movement etc) amazingly well since bf2 IMO.

I suppose it's just what you want from a shooter (you will still get annoyingly destroyed by aircraft).

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
I haven't played a battlefield game befor and I'm loving running round popping tanks as an engineer with carbine for infantry work. Is there any standard setup gear wise I should be working towards?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

keyframe posted:

Oh my god the Type88 :stare:

Unlock it and never use any other gun again.

Yes, join the Type 88 club and never ever stop firing :getin:

tboeske01
Apr 6, 2011

in the end the addition of charles barkley did improve the amount of dunk in the proposed replacement picture as expected, even exceeding our more modest projections easily.
Anyone else running around with the DMR rifles? They feel kind of weak compared to some of the others. I have shot someone 4 times and they did not die. DMR rifles are usually higher caliber than an Assault rifle so I have idea why it is so weak. I have been using the in game chat quite a bit with mixed results. Sometimes I lase a target and it gets blown up or they run off toward the guy way the hell out there. I do have to ask if most of you play the single player before jumping into the multi-player or vice versa?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Jippa posted:

(you will still get annoyingly destroyed by air vehicles)

Aircraft aren't even half of what they were in BF2. The chopper can't one shot tanks from 400 meters aways, the Jets can't kill half a team with a single bombing run and you're actually given effective ground based anti-aircraft weapons (including infantry ones). The class system is much better than in BF2, so you won't have a situation where Assault is basically a Medic who can't heal or no one playing Engineer because it was just so unfun to play. Also combat is no longer decided by who can hit the prone button first. You also get unlimited sprint so it's not as much of a slog to get from one point to the next.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Public service announcement: If the enemy team is fond of camping the roofs about B or D, move to capture C and get your hands on the M82 that spawns there. It's like shooting fish in a barrel :getin:

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Lord Yod posted:

It's very fun and the way you can change your class makeup allows you to build the classes from bf2 basically. Like the recon can use a sniper and a laser designator, or use a carbine and c4 to be a spec ops kind of dude.

That said it's in open beta so why not just try it yourself?
I don't have access to my gaming PC right now so I can't try the beta, but when I get back I'll give it a whirl. I've been burned on Total War Rome 2's release so I'm hoping this game is good fun out of the gate.

I didn't stop playing games, I only switched my interests from shooters to other genres. But BF4 looks like way too much fun to pass up. I wanted to know if it is all that or if it's Dice-d up due to bugs or poor gameplay or whatever. From what I've read so far it's a fifty-fifty split between people having issues and others having a ball.

Edit: I should also add, is this iteration of BF rewarding team play even more? BF always was a team-oriented series but pubs barely ever bothered to help out, join squads, act together, use commander skills properly, etc.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 5, 2013

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Aircraft aren't even half of what they were in BF2. The chopper can't one shot tanks from 400 meters aways, the Jets can't kill half a team with a single bombing run and you're actually given effective ground based anti-aircraft weapons (including infantry ones). The class system is much better than in BF2, so you won't have a situation where Assault is basically a Medic who can't heal or no one playing Engineer because it was just so unfun to play. Also combat is no longer decided by who can hit the prone button first. You also get unlimited sprint so it's not as much of a slog to get from one point to the next.

Yeah but but you still get annoyingly destroyed by air. The BF series is the only fps I play where I get genuinely annoyed by some deaths. In every other game I got out played or took a risk or was unlucky etc.
e- All good points about bf2 though

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

tboeske01 posted:

Anyone else running around with the DMR rifles? They feel kind of weak compared to some of the others. I have shot someone 4 times and they did not die. DMR rifles are usually higher caliber than an Assault rifle so I have idea why it is so weak. I have been using the in game chat quite a bit with mixed results. Sometimes I lase a target and it gets blown up or they run off toward the guy way the hell out there. I do have to ask if most of you play the single player before jumping into the multi-player or vice versa?

There's a single payer campaign in a Battlefield game?

But seriously. No one plays the single player. BC2s was OK but I never even touched it in BF3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I'm holding out to see how rapidly they patch this game, maybe if they fix the performance problems the game will click for me? I really like the screen shake effects, model movement, and sound when shooting though. Guns look weighted and mechanical. I just wish dice wasn't full of poo poo.

• Locked thread