Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

I found Soulsilver at a local swapmeet for 12 bucks with case(I had the poke walker since my first copy and it wouldn't load). I probably could have bargained for 10 but I didn't feel like haggling in Spanish. Then went to Game$top to see it there and it was 45 dollars for just the game.... Time to get my pokemon fix before X and Y come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So RF4, how is the combat and rpg aspect?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

My six year old daughter has reached the age where she's showing more interest in computer games.
So I was wondering what games you guys would recommend to start her off with?

She already has and loves Lets Draw, Nintendogs, Kirby Mass Attack and Cooking Mama 3.

Really I'm not sure where to go from here.
I was thinking Pokemon X/Y when it comes out but not sure that may be abit much. Also pretty likely to grab New Super Mario Bros.

any suggestions would be appreciated as I'd hate to waste cash on crap or something that's abit too hard for her to enjoy...

Just a heads up, Pokemon X/Y is a 3DS game and will not work on the regular DS/DS Lite/DSi. I don't know which one she owns, so I figured you might appreciate the warning.

Anyway, I'd suggest Super Scribblenauts for DS - it's based around typing in words to make objects appear, so it does require a little literacy, but it's still pretty child-friendly. The Drawn To Life games let you draw your character, that's kinda neat.

There are a ton of different Cooking Mama games, plus spinoffs like Gardening Mama or whatever, and they're all pretty cheap these days. You might also wanna look into Warioware Touched, it's kinda similar and requires very little explanation.

There's also Animal Crossing, Style Savvy and the Professor Layton games, but those games have quite a bit of text, maybe more than Pokemon.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sire Oblivion posted:

I remember a while back that it was possible to set up your Router as a 3DS Hotspot for StreetPasses; can anyone link me to a guide on doing this?

Set your SSID to "attwifi", visible network name, no password. Spoof your MAC address however the heck your router/internet solution would let you do that to one on this list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AvvH5W4E2lIwdEFCUkxrM085ZGp0UkZlenp6SkJablE&toomany=true

Switch MACs until Streetpass is full, go to town.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!

Sire Oblivion posted:

I remember a while back that it was possible to set up your Router as a 3DS Hotspot for StreetPasses; can anyone link me to a guide on doing this?

Here you go! I haven't done it in a few days and am not sure if it is working or not after the update where you get 6 people instead of 1 (If that has even hit yet)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Just a heads up, Pokemon X/Y is a 3DS game and will not work on the regular DS/DS Lite/DSi. I don't know which one she owns, so I figured you might appreciate the warning.

Anyway, I'd suggest Super Scribblenauts for DS - it's based around typing in words to make objects appear, so it does require a little literacy, but it's still pretty child-friendly. The Drawn To Life games let you draw your character, that's kinda neat.

There are a ton of different Cooking Mama games, plus spinoffs like Gardening Mama or whatever, and they're all pretty cheap these days. You might also wanna look into Warioware Touched, it's kinda similar and requires very little explanation.

There's also Animal Crossing, Style Savvy and the Professor Layton games, but those games have quite a bit of text, maybe more than Pokemon.

I'll second the recommendation for Style Savvy. I got it for my little sister and she adores it.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I'll second the recommendation for Style Savvy. I got it for my little sister and she adores it.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

My six year old daughter has reached the age where she's showing more interest in computer games.
So I was wondering what games you guys would recommend to start her off with?

She already has and loves Lets Draw, Nintendogs, Kirby Mass Attack and Cooking Mama 3.

Really I'm not sure where to go from here.
I was thinking Pokemon X/Y when it comes out but not sure that may be abit much. Also pretty likely to grab New Super Mario Bros.

any suggestions would be appreciated as I'd hate to waste cash on crap or something that's abit too hard for her to enjoy...

If you're talking 3ds, PM me, I have an unopened copy of Style Savvy Trendsetters from getting my pink XL, I'll ship it to you.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm pretty sure this thread is still just general DS discussion as well on top of 3DS so I'm gonna complain very briefly about 999 because I've seen people mention it here anyway and I'm kinda mad.

So I went into this game knowing that I was going to get a million bad endings but it'll all make sense when I get the good ending and it's totally worth it just do it alright? Well I start playing and hoooooooooooooooooo boy is it slow to start and the room escapes aren't really that interesting and then the characters all talk for eons about telepathy and the Titanic and man gently caress this but I power through it because everyone says the ending is great. I was kinda hating the game at first but after a while I was genuinely curious where it was all going.

I just got my first ending tonight!

Problem is apparently I got the good ending. Second problem is APPARENTLY when you get the good ending before you get a certain bad ending, there's a huge climactic build-up and then it just cuts to black and says "TO BE CONTINUED..."

Holy gently caress I'm so mad at video games right now. What a serious case of blue balls. My internet friends are stunned I managed to stumble across the good ending first. "You are the luckiest unluckiest man alive, today. No-one's 'supposed' to know how to get that ending first shot." I don't even know what I did right. Seriously that was so unfulfilling it took the wind entirely out of my sails.

Guess it's time to start working at getting the other endings... :negative:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Freakyforms might be a good title to get too.

My kid cousin loved his 3DS...up until the moment he got an iPod touch. Now he only plays it when I'm around.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaubocks posted:

I'm pretty sure this thread is still just general DS discussion as well on top of 3DS so I'm gonna complain very briefly about 999 because I've seen people mention it here anyway and I'm kinda mad.

So I went into this game knowing that I was going to get a million bad endings but it'll all make sense when I get the good ending and it's totally worth it just do it alright? Well I start playing and hoooooooooooooooooo boy is it slow to start and the room escapes aren't really that interesting and then the characters all talk for eons about telepathy and the Titanic and man gently caress this but I power through it because everyone says the ending is great. I was kinda hating the game at first but after a while I was genuinely curious where it was all going.

I just got my first ending tonight!

Problem is apparently I got the good ending. Second problem is APPARENTLY when you get the good ending before you get a certain bad ending, there's a huge climactic build-up and then it just cuts to black and says "TO BE CONTINUED..."

Holy gently caress I'm so mad at video games right now. What a serious case of blue balls. My internet friends are stunned I managed to stumble across the good ending first. "You are the luckiest unluckiest man alive, today. No-one's 'supposed' to know how to get that ending first shot." I don't even know what I did right. Seriously that was so unfulfilling it took the wind entirely out of my sails.

Guess it's time to start working at getting the other endings... :negative:

Yeah, you had a run of very bad luck. Once you get a few other endings, it'll become apparent why your first ending happens that way. If you want to know which ending is the prerequisite so you can check a door guide, it's Ending Number 4: The safe.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Never mind, I'm totally wrong!

George Kansas fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 6, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

VarrosAnon posted:

I did exactly the same thing, and since I then finished the game proper, I'm going to fill this post with a bunch of spoiler tags for other people, but I promise that it'll be fine for you to read.

The "Safe" ending you got is actually really complex to get, but somehow a lot of people I know have gotten it the first time. It's definitely the worst ending to get first (WTF Snake!? Is Santa bad too? Why did June just die like that?), but it's the ONLY ending you need to get the "True Ending." If you're really worried about getting burnt out on the game, I'd highly suggest looking up a no-spoilers walkthrough to figure out all the little things you need to do to get it, and then just watch all the other endings on YouTube. Then, after all that, after you've digested the game, go to http://www.aksysgames.com/999/answers and figure out some of the last plotholes that are filled.

He got a different ending than the one you're thinking of.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

alcharagia posted:

He got a different ending than the one you're thinking of.

Dammit, you're right. Redacted.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

If you don't want to outright look up the path for the necessary ending, I'll give you a hint:

The game's already told you how to get the ending you need.

For a less subtle hint, why would they give you a trailer for the game you're playing?

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 6, 2013

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I read what Varros posted before he redacted it. Oh well! Honestly it didn't really spoil much but it's certainly not the ending I got. What happened to me is I got to the two 9 doors and Santa pulled a gun, taking June hostage and escaping with Ace and Lotus. I figured it was no big deal because Clover mentioned Snake was still alive and mental math shows if we get him we can all escape out the other door. Plus we have about an hour to live so let's go find him! But then there's banging and banging and I'm thinking OH poo poo THAT'S SNAKE LET'S RESCUE HIM but no the game just cuts to black.

So... welp. Thanks for the subtle and not-so-subtle hints. I'm still going to see this through but holy poo poo I seriously can't begin to describe how unfulfilling that was.

Is it worth getting all the other endings or should I just try and get the one I need to get for that other ending to not cut to black halfway through?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kaubocks posted:

Is it worth getting all the other endings or should I just try and get the one I need to get for that other ending to not cut to black halfway through?

There's one ending that's definitely worth getting (method: go through door 3 at the second branch) and one that's just an internet fan favorite (method: go through door 1 at the third branch in any other permutation but the one you took.)

Edit: To explain, the former contains important information you'll not get on any other path because the path to the true ending does not involve you ever going in that room.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

alcharagia posted:

There's one ending that's definitely worth getting (method: go through door 3 at the second branch) and one that's just an internet fan favorite (method: go through door 1 at the third branch in any other permutation but the one you took.)

Gonna add that the third bad ending not mentioned here (go through door 6, but don't activate the conditions for the special ending you need) is a huge anticlimactic one. I'd skip it unless you really want to see it.

Of course, it's on the path for the special ending so you might end up seeing it anyway if you don't do things right!

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 6, 2013

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

alcharagia posted:

...and one that's just an internet fan favorite (method: go through door 1 at the third branch in any other permutation but the one you took.)
So... with different characters? Do different characters offer to go there depending on what I've done earlier, because I don't recall ever getting a choice in the matter.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kaubocks posted:

So... with different characters? Do different characters offer to go there depending on what I've done earlier, because I don't recall ever getting a choice in the matter.

That is to say, without going through the doors you went through before going through that door. The characters won't change but certain events will.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Cool. Well I'm starting off the festivities on the NG+ by going in a different door for the first choice so here's hoping! :toot:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Kaubocks posted:

Just go through a different door either the first time or second time. Or both. The same characters will go through when you get there. It's weird, you'll see.

But don't go through door 3 if you want to see that one.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I figure it's worth mentioning that holding Right will fast forward all the text you already read. Just in case you missed that.

Virtues Last Reward is amazing for multiple playthroughs since you can skip to wherever you want to in the story paths and you can completely bypass puzzle rooms you already cleared.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gutcruncher posted:

I figure it's worth mentioning that holding Right will fast forward all the text you already read. Just in case you missed that.

Virtues Last Reward is amazing for multiple playthroughs since you can skip to wherever you want to in the story paths and you can completely bypass puzzle rooms you already cleared.

More importantly, unlike 999 you'll never repeat the same puzzle room twice in the course of regular gameplay.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Hmm, I have £15 of credit on the PAL eShop and I can't find anything compelling to buy.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm not limited to genres at all - just hoping for a hidden gem.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Convexed posted:

Hmm, I have £15 of credit on the PAL eShop and I can't find anything compelling to buy.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm not limited to genres at all - just hoping for a hidden gem.

Buy Kokuga.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DarkHamsterlord posted:

(they never actually released this)

If they released this and it extended the XL's battery life I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The 3DS's battery life while idling is measured in days if not hours while my Vita can sit on a bookshelf for 3-4 weeks and still have 70% charge.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

uPen posted:

If they released this and it extended the XL's battery life I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The 3DS's battery life while idling is measured in days if not hours while my Vita can sit on a bookshelf for 3-4 weeks and still have 70% charge.

Your Vita isn't also constantly trying to Streetpass. Turn off the wireless and it'll last a lot longer.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Convexed posted:

Steamworld Dig has been getting a lot of positive buzz lately. Kokuga's another underrated game, as is Denpa Men 2.

Shantae 3 and Shovel Knight will be out later in the year, if you feel like waiting for a couple months.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Nano assault ex is a pretty great shooter, but works a lot better with the extra stick attachment.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Convexed posted:

I think Mighty Switch Force fits that, though I'd favor the Wii U version.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

So, recently I developed mono, and as such I'll be home sick for a couple of days. I'm wondering what, if anything, I should pick up on the eshop.

I loved animal crossing till I got burnt out, and I enjoyed monster hunter 3, besides the camera angles/control issues I had, if that gives you some indicator of what I like. I really wish X & Y were out already... :saddowns:

Edit: I've also only had the 3dsxl for 3 or so months, so besides the games I mentioned, I've only played OoT and Luigis mansion.

Slamma Jamma! fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 6, 2013

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Factory posted:

So, recently I developed mono, and as such I'll be home sick for a couple of days. I'm wondering what, if anything, I should pick up on the eshop.

I loved animal crossing till I got burnt out, and I enjoyed monster hunter 3, besides the camera angles/control issues I had, if that gives you some indicator of what I like. I really wish X & Y were out already... :saddowns:

Edit: I've also only had the 3dsxl for 3 or so months, so besides the games I mentioned, I've only played OoT and Luigis mansion.

I picked up rune factory the other day and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Might give that one a go?

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I've recently gotten access to a Japanese 3DS - what are some good games that never made it out of Japan? I'm not bothered about those that will eventually, probably make it to Europe.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shelf Adventure posted:

I've recently gotten access to a Japanese 3DS - what are some good games that never made it out of Japan? I'm not bothered about those that will eventually, probably make it to Europe.

Square-Enix hasn't given any indication that they'll be releasing any of the various Dragon Quest games internationally, so I guess you should try those first.

Aside from those, there's Calciobit (weird pseudo-retro soccer sim?), Culdcept, Tomodachi Collection, some other random RPGs I can't think of right now, and I guess Sayonara Umihara Kawase (it sounds like this might be getting an international release at some point, but it's far from a lock, especially for Europe).

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Shelf Adventure posted:

A word of warning - much if not all of this list will be pretty much unplayable if you don't actually read Japanese:

Dragon Quest 7
Tomodachi Collection New Life(maaaybe - look it up first to see if the idea sounds good to you)
Rental Bukiya de Omasse (one of the Guild-01 games that was never translated)
Fantasy Life LINK
The two "Dasshutsu Adventure" games - they're locked room mysteries by the same people who do the Simple 100 games which are also on the 3DS shop and iOS, only they're actually good
"If I were trapped in a room with a girl I'd ..." (same devs, only very very anime this time)
Labyrinth no Kanata (still haven't beaten it, but it's worth what it goes for)
Moe Moe Daisensou Gendaiban 3D (if you've not got it on PS3 or Vita)
Time Travellers (better if you've played Machi / 428 as you'll get the cameos, but they're not required)

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Convexed posted:

Wait for the 24th of October, put 5 more pounds in your wallet and buy Phoenix Wright!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh yeah, I forgot all about Fantasy Life... people were hinting fairly heavily that it'd be getting an international release at the end of this year, guess someone forgot to tell Level-5.

Speaking of, has anyone played Yokai Watch? It's probably junk like most of their other recent games but it sure looks pretty.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

ookiimarukochan posted:

A word of warning - much if not all of this list will be pretty much unplayable if you don't actually read Japanese:

The two "Dasshutsu Adventure" games - they're locked room mysteries by the same people who do the Simple 100 games which are also on the 3DS shop and iOS, only they're actually good

There's a two game "escape the room" series from Arc System Works, but the similar series from the Simple brand is on game 6 or 7 now. I didn't play any of them, but the reviews are positive.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Speaking of, has anyone played Yokai Watch? It's probably junk like most of their other recent games but it sure looks pretty.

It's a pretty good game, actually. Gorgeous graphics and fun gameplay. The campaign is super easy to complete and you don't have to use half the mechanics in order to beat it, but it seems to be like Pokemon in that what you're really supposed to do is get super-custom monsters to fight against other players.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
Cheers for the recommendations! My Japanese isn`t quite up there just yet (though it does make sense most of the not translated games are text heavy), but I`ll be saving the list for when I make more progress. Thanks again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I just lost a 24 hour save file in Virtues Last Reward after it kept crashing in the PEC room. What kind of shotty port job was this? gently caress this and having no skip function until you already read it previously! :argh:

• Locked thread