Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I found this piece by Deadspin declaring that sources were safe with them hilarious. They outed Jenn Sterger years ago, frequently post complete e-mail trails from their sources, and having a history of their sources being outed quickly by other outlets because they left too much identifying information in the piece (this part is more Gawker and Gizmodo related). poo poo, they just last week poo poo on the source of the Pelini tape.

Anyways, I couldn't find a least trustful place to leak something than Deadspin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Niwrad posted:

I found this piece by Deadspin declaring that sources were safe with them hilarious. They outed Jenn Sterger years ago, frequently post complete e-mail trails from their sources, and having a history of their sources being outed quickly by other outlets because they left too much identifying information in the piece (this part is more Gawker and Gizmodo related). poo poo, they just last week poo poo on the source of the Pelini tape.

Anyways, I couldn't find a least trustful place to leak something than Deadspin.

Never trust any media outlets. And don't forget that the Gawker/Rob Ford story got hosed up by CNN:

gawker posted:

Well, no. But when I emailed an acquaintance at CNN this afternoon, laying out much the same information I've offered above and asking for discretion and confidentiality lest we screw up a pretty loving great story about the mayor of the fifth-largest city in North America smoking crack cocaine on camera, he forwarded the email to his producer. The producer, in turn, asked CNN's Canada reporter about it. The Canada reporter—and this was a pretty loving big mistake—called a source who used to work in Ford's office. Within 40 minutes, word had gotten back to me that "CNN called Ford's office asking about a crack tape."

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007
Really, the Deadspin article is more "don't trust TMZ" than anything else. But there is a convenient thread in the comments with the author about their handling of the Pelini tape.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Groucho Marxist posted:

TBJ is moving from The Score and have been mum about anymore details. I wonder if they're a part of this NBA.com buyout business.

BOOM

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/10/02/nba-digital-welcomes-the-starters-tas-melas-j-e-skeets-trey-kerby-leigh-ellis/index.html

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Who's the guy with the beard?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

morestuff posted:

Who's the guy with the beard?

JD, the director who doesn't ever appear in any video

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Oh hey I didn't know T-Mac is going to be on NBA-TV now. Cool.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

That's so great. Good for them. Really fell in love with TBJ the last couple years. Although if they lose their theme music I'll be sad.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Jesus Christ. So I was just browsing through my news feed, and this hideous thing pops into my face.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/10/05/really-necessary-tampa/dm6NP28fp60W8JjxfOPnuL/story.html

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Redeye Flight posted:

Jesus Christ. So I was just browsing through my news feed, and this hideous thing pops into my face.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/10/05/really-necessary-tampa/dm6NP28fp60W8JjxfOPnuL/story.html

Dan Shaughnessy wrote something stupid? The HELL you say!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

That is the least bad Shaughnessy column I have ever seen, its just bland and stupid instead of stupid and offensive.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

cross posting from the NCAA thread:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo..._medium=twitter

quote:

EVANSTON, Ill. -- The game is superficial, another victory on a growing unbeaten streak with no end in sight.

Ohio State is that good after a gutty win over Northwestern, the Big Ten is that average, and the argument of whether the Buckeyes are BCS-worthy will rage on with each passing week.

That's not the point here, everyone. The point is the man of the hour in this critical Big Ten game shouldn't even have been on the field.

The man who saved Ohio State's 18-game winning streak, the man who carried his team in the second half when All-Everything quarterback Braxton Miller couldn't, is the same man who hit a woman this offseason.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Twitter is pretty great, but I hope I never have to read something like this again. How does this become a story?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

morestuff posted:

Twitter is pretty great, but I hope I never have to read something like this again. How does this become a story?

If you insult sports media, sports media brings you to task, and they shape the narrative.

Fuckin nerds man

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I don't want to live in an America where a jock can't tell nerds to suck it, nerds.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Those nerds need to suck it, seriously.

David Price rules.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Yes, those nerds like former Major League baseball player Dirk Hayhurst. Says man who plays for manager Joe Maddon.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah I'm all for players being dicks to the media but all I get from this thing is that David Price seems like a douchey baby.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah I'm all for players being dicks to the media but all I get from this thing is that David Price seems like a douchey baby.

He apologized for it afterward. I'm not saying it was the right thing to do of course but poo poo happens and people say things they don't mean sometimes, and outside this incident pretty much everything that you can read about him says that he's one of the nicest guys in baseball so I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Redeye Flight posted:

If the Rays come back to win this series, Shaughnessy should never be allowed to say anything ever again after that and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ij0ovv8AUw

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

marioinblack posted:

Shaughnessy should never be allowed to say anything ever again

I agree

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Where do I sign?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.npr.org/2013/10/09/230510417/sick-of-how-u-s-sports-are-run-take-a-look-at-europe

Heard this while flipping through the radio dial going into work.

I'm a little lost as to this.

He kind of frames in a way that presents the FIA/FIFA/IOC as being more awful than the MLB, NBA NFL or NASCAR. I don't believe that's the case, I believe each party is kind of equally awful.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

FIFA and the IOC are absolutely worse than most North American sporting organizations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.npr.org/2013/10/09/230510417/sick-of-how-u-s-sports-are-run-take-a-look-at-europe

Heard this while flipping through the radio dial going into work.

I'm a little lost as to this.

He kind of frames in a way that presents the FIA/FIFA/IOC as being more awful than the MLB, NBA NFL or NASCAR. I don't believe that's the case, I believe each party is kind of equally awful.
FIFA strong-arms countries into suspending portions of their constitution in exchange for hosting major tournaments.

FIFA also responded to a Brazilian plan to offer discounted tickets to kids and the elderly at next year's WC by basically saying "lol like gently caress you will".

There are also about 350 other things that FIFA does that are worse than anything a North American sports league has ever done.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 9, 2013

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Fauxhawk Express posted:

FIFA and the IOC are absolutely worse than most North American sporting organizations.

I'd agree. For the most part, as lovely as Selig, Stern, or Bettman can be, the scale of their shitiness is much less and pretty much doesn't generally go beyond the sport itself. (Public financing of stadiums aside).

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sepp Blatter is worse than all North American commissioners combined.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Sepp Blatter is worse than all North American commissioners combined.

Gary Bettman is pretty bad man. is what I was going to say until I actually Googled him.

Holy poo poo.

quote:

"Let the women play in more feminine clothes like they do in volleyball," he said.

"They could, for example, have tighter shorts. Female players are pretty, if you excuse me for saying so, and they already have some different rules to men - such as playing with a lighter ball. That decision was taken to create a more female aesthetic, so why not do it in fashion?"

Then again it doesn't look like Sepp Blatter has almost killed off his league yet. So I mean that's gotta make them close right?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dexo posted:

Gary Bettman is pretty bad man. is what I was going to say until I actually Googled him.

Holy poo poo.

Then again it doesn't look like Sepp Blatter has almost killed off his league yet. So I mean that's gotta make them close right?

FIFA isn't a league. Its closer to the NCAA than the NHL.

The NCAA is hilariously corrupt as well, though on a much smaller scale.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Toffile posted:

FIFA isn't a league. Its closer to the NCAA than the NHL.

The NCAA is hilariously corrupt as well, though on a much smaller scale.

The NCAA still brought in like $800 million last season, none of which was paid to the athletes that generated that income. Even if that's only 20% of what FIFA brought in, that's still an impressive layer of fundamental corruption.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sepp Blatter's response to being asked about Qatar not being gay-friendly after awarding them the 2022 World Cup was something to the effect of "well the gay fans shouldn't have sex then"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
That's actually the most benign thing I've heard about the Qatar world cup, what with the climate and the bribery and the slavery

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Declan MacManus posted:

The NCAA still brought in like $800 million last season, none of which was paid to the athletes that generated that income. Even if that's only 20% of what FIFA brought in, that's still an impressive layer of fundamental corruption.

They gave them scholarships and bagels, that's reimbursement enough.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

Sepp Blatter's response to being asked about Qatar not being gay-friendly after awarding them the 2022 World Cup was something to the effect of "well the gay fans shouldn't have sex then"
On top of that, Qatar and the rest of the Gulf States are going to start doing clinical screenings on "suspected" homosexuals at airports and security checkpoints in an effort to prevent gay people from entering their countries.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FIFA and FIA put anything that North America can come up with to shame.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Their exploitation of under-developed countries is horrifying. How and why would you convince South Africa, Brazil, and Qatar to build these enormous architectural achievements without helping to provide an infrastructure that could not only maintain them, but put them to a justifiable use? Brazil is spending something like 4 billion just on refurbishing and creating stadiums and upgrading all of the airports in the country. That was South Africa's TOTAL BUDGET.

It's kinda cool that Brazil is looking to build some stuff for long-term use, but what the hell is Cuiaba going to do with a 42,000-capacity stadium and a light rail??

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The broken bones posted:

Their exploitation of under-developed countries is horrifying. How and why would you convince South Africa, Brazil, and Qatar to build these enormous architectural achievements without helping to provide an infrastructure that could not only maintain them, but put them to a justifiable use? Brazil is spending something like 4 billion just on refurbishing and creating stadiums and upgrading all of the airports in the country. That was South Africa's TOTAL BUDGET.

It's kinda cool that Brazil is looking to build some stuff for long-term use, but what the hell is Cuiaba going to do with a 42,000-capacity stadium and a light rail??

Dude Mato Grosso is the new hotness come on.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
please, it's the rust belt of Brazil.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

The broken bones posted:

This loving happened in Japan and South Korea, all new stadiums built just for World Cup, 150 million dollars built for two hours of an event. The cities ended up creating teams to be tenants for the new stadiums. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If you want to see something really depressing, check out the venues from the Athens Olympics. It's been only 9 years and they're already falling apart.

http://www.businessinsider.com/2004-athens-olympics-venues-abandoned-today-photos-2012-8?op=1

$15 billion well spent.