Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH

Barry Foster posted:

Moffat's probably referring to Capaldi's role in The Fires of Pompeii.

They mention Torchwood though, in the article i linked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

ProfessorLoomis posted:

They mention Torchwood though, in the article i linked.

And the Doctor knows about the events of children of men from the last time he met Jack.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

HERAK posted:

And the Doctor knows about the events of children of men from the last time he met Jack.

Does he? I don't remember it being mentioned.

I know Moffat mentioned Torchwood in the article, I just meant that when he brings it up in the series (and I do wish he wouldn't, it's something that just doesn't need to be explained) he's probably going to refer to Capaldi's previous role in Doctor Who, not its spin-off.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I think the implication is that if he knows to look for Jack far away from Earth, then he knows what happened.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
http://www.scottishdailyexpress.co....again-and-again

Nothing huge in that per se, more a reading between the lines thing. Davison seems awfully knowledgeable about Moffat specifically doing something about the 12 regenerations thing. And with the rumors of Davison reprising the role of Omega in the 50th special, a episode which would seem to address regenerations with the Hurt thing, that would seem to help the "Davison is in the 50th" idea.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Teek posted:

Nothing huge in that per se, more a reading between the lines thing. Davison seems awfully knowledgeable about Moffat specifically doing something about the 12 regenerations thing. And with the rumors of Davison reprising the role of Omega in the 50th special, a episode which would seem to address regenerations with the Hurt thing, that would seem to help the "Davison is in the 50th" idea.

quote:

And some mega-fans have vowed to abandon the show if the Doctor breaks the law and survives his 12th regeneration.

...said nobody, ever. Seriously? I have yet to hear that from the most sperging of nerds.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Astroman posted:

...said nobody, ever. Seriously? I have yet to hear that from the most sperging of nerds.

Allow me to introduce you to tumblr. I've seen at least a dozen "reblog if you'll stop watching Doctor Who if the Doctor regenerates a thirteenth time."

On second hand, let's not.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Teek posted:

I love that the person writing that article repeats, over and over again, that 'there can only be 12 Doctors because he can only regenerate 12 times'.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait but that would mean there could only be 13 Doctors because if you can only regenerate 12 times...

Or is that :thejoke: ?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

Wait but that would mean there could only be 13 Doctors because if you can only regenerate 12 times...

Or is that :thejoke: ?

it is indeed.

I mean, I assume the fuss is from the fact that Hurt's pseudo-doctor is going to count as another regeneration, making the 12th the 13th, etc, etc. But nowhere does the article mention this.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I think "stop watching" harkens back to RTD's comment about ming mongs, where they would now huffily only watch each episode 29 times instead of 30.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MAJOR SPOILER...When you watch the Web of Fear, the Great Intelligence has met the Doctor not once, but TWICE chronologically before! :v:

Seriously, in some news that seemed to fall under the radar in all the missing episodes hoopla was this that I just read:

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/another-companion-returning-for-50th-53741.htm

quote:

OK! Magazine may have printed a huge 50th anniversary spoiler (or a shocking mistake) in their latest issue.

Spreading the net currently is a purported magazine scan from said publication that appears to confirm another popular companion is returning in addition to the already confirmed Billie Piper.

The text, which precedes an interview with David Tennant and Catherine Tate, says:

The countdown is on for Doctor Who fans as the iconic show prepares to celebrate its 50th birthday with a bang. A 75-minute anniversary episode has secretly been filmed to mark the occasion, which will see favourites including David Tennant, Catherine Tate and Billie Piper returning to our screens alongside the most recent Doctor, Matt Smith.

:dance: DONNA!!!!

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I would love to see Donna and 13 share the screen.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Aatrek posted:

"I'm Spartacus."
"No, I'm Spartacus."

I was about to discount that until I saw she was in the interview, too. I'm still not sure if I believe it, though.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Aatrek posted:

I love that we're already calling Capaldi 13.

Also, it's an honest tie between who I'd rather see back on the show again: Donna or Captain Jack, so this makes me absurdly happy.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Astroman posted:

MAJOR SPOILER...When you watch the Web of Fear, the Great Intelligence has met the Doctor not once, but TWICE chronologically before! :v:

Seriously, in some news that seemed to fall under the radar in all the missing episodes hoopla was this that I just read:

Donna? Oh MAN that would be incredible. I love Donna so much.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Yeah, really anything Donna would be good with me.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The interesting dynamic there would be that 11 would know Donna, but she wouldn't know him, and she'd know 10 but not the chronological version of 10 traveling with Rose

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Aatrek posted:

Do you mean Capaldi/12? Or are we predicting a Donna/13th Doctor meetup?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Yeah, that was a goof - I meant Donna and Matt Smith, but Capaldi will do as well.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I would have been happy if they'd brought Donna back as a companion for Matt. It would have been glorious watching the two of them playfully bicker with each other.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Mortanis posted:

I love that we're already calling Capaldi 13...

We are not calling Capaldi 13. Because everything having to do with the horrible retcon that Doctor Hurt seems to be is not yet cannon and, therefore, if I close my eyes really hard, doesn't exist.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Let's not judge the Hurt plotline before it even happens. I know Moffat has been off the rails a little lately, but we know next to nothing about it, including whether it is even a retcon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

Let's not judge the Hurt plotline before it even happens. I know Moffat has been off the rails a little lately, but we know next to nothing about it, including whether it is even a retcon.

It's William loving Hurt, how can it be bad?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Donna would be lovely to come back.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

It's William loving Hurt, how can it be bad?

I'm sure he'll spin poo poo into gold.

I'm just afraid he'll have to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

I'm sure he'll spin poo poo into gold.

I'm just afraid he'll have to.

We both know it's the latter but I don't care. William Hurt is awesome no matter what.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Rhyno posted:

We both know it's the latter but I don't care. William Hurt is awesome no matter what.

When did William Hurt join the cast of the 50th?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

They could be making a mistake about her being on screen and just talking about her return to the franchise in Death's Deal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pops Mgee posted:

When did William Hurt join the cast of the 50th?

Where was I talking about the 50th? I was responding to a statement about the Hurt plot.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

^^^^edit: It's John Hurt, they're just loving with you. But he is a part of the 50th (as far as I know, he's only slated to appear in Day of the Doctor).

John Hurt's a fantastic actor and even if his part is just to walk on, say "I'm the real Ninth Doctor. Everything you know about the numbers after Eight is wrong, so take that, continuity nerds. By the way, I brought River back to life and now she's my daughter and cousin as well as my wife. Arrgh, I have stomach pain!" and then an alien pops out of his chest, we'll have had ten seconds of good television.

I think it's likely to be a little convoluted, but Moffat could also pull something fun off, you never know.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

William loving Hurt

Rhyno posted:

William Hurt

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

John Hurt's a fantastic actor and even if his part is just to walk on, say "I'm the real Ninth Doctor. Everything you know about the numbers after Eight is wrong, so take that, continuity nerds. By the way, I brought River back to life and now she's my daughter and cousin as well as my wife. Arrgh, I have stomach pain!" and then an alien pops out of his chest, we'll have had ten seconds of good television.

I think it's likely to be a little convoluted, but Moffat could also pull something fun off, you never know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np5Bl9mwl-Y

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Whoops!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
John Williams
as
The Doctor

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

"RTD ruined Doctor Who by having the words 'TO BE CONTINUED' appear over the closing credits, but this is totally acceptable and awesome." is one of the weirdest complaints I've ever heard from Doctor Who fans by the way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PriorMarcus posted:

"RTD ruined Doctor Who by having the words 'TO BE CONTINUED' appear over the closing credits, but this is totally acceptable and awesome." is one of the weirdest complaints I've ever heard from Doctor Who fans by the way.

Didn't they do that a bunch in the original series? I mean poo poo, they ended on cliffhangers all the time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The scream of the end credits starting just as the Daleks pile out of something and start yelling "EXTERMINATE!" is like the most Doctor Who thing I can think of. I suppose they're just complaining about the actual words "To be continued"? Weird.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

The scream of the end credits starting just as the Daleks pile out of something and start yelling "EXTERMINATE!" is like the most Doctor Who thing I can think of. I suppose they're just complaining about the actual words "To be continued"? Weird.

That is indeed dumb. I'm fairly certain there was at least one TBC in the Classic Series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Rhyno posted:

That is indeed dumb. I'm fairly certain there was at least one TBC in the Classic Series.

I don't think there was ever a text scroll of TBC in the original series, as far as I can remember, anyways. I believe the Hartnell episodes (back when they used to have separate titles for each individual part of a story) used to have "Next Week: <title of individual episode>" just before (or maybe after?) the end credits, but I think they stopped that when they switched to labeling episodes "Part 1" or "Episode 1" or whatever. But beyond that I don't recall ever seeing a "To Be Continued" thing at the end of a given episode/story in any of the older series' episodes.

E: Also, "William Hurt" :v: (not picking on anyone, just found it funny)

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 11, 2013

• Locked thread