Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
This whole alpha scenario makes me understand why more companies don't set dates for these kinds of things and why you don't explain your processes to the public. I think trying to be more open and transparent is admirable, but I don't think it's doing them any favors. I feel bad for Blinkman and anyone else at Cryptozoic who has to read their forums because it's a cesspit.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Oct 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Nowadays people expect it is their right to be part of beta's, or even alpha's. Reason is many companies have used these as a promotional hype-creating tool.

Back in the early 2000's I got in multiple beta's for MMO's, but people then were actually screened, and we had to fill in forms/surveys. Bug reports had to be submitted. Play experience was total poo poo often. NDA's had to be signed (don't even think about streaming, you would not just lose your account but you'd get a lawsuit on top).

As with every modern age MMO/game, the gamers have become spoiled, and compare every new game to a 10year old game with a zillion expansions/patches. They want everything and they want it NOW.

Early Access for pledge is a great idea for independent project like Hex, but some people will never think it *fair* that people who paid 100x what they paid get in earlier. Pay2Win they will call it the first day they get beaten by someone who has been playing a little longer.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

katkillad2 posted:

This whole alpha scenario makes me understand why more companies don't set dates for these kinds of things and why you don't explain your processes to the public. I think trying to be more open and transparent is admirable, but I don't think it's doing them any favors. I feel bad for Blinkman and anyone else at Cryptozoic who has to read their forums because it's a cesspit.

It's extremely hard to do a stable alpha of any product, let alone a flagship, let alone a first attempt. Setting a date is risky even if you set it the day before. Explaining yourself is supposed to be standard PR these days, but the people you're explaining to in this industry range from autistic 40 year old sysadmins to autistic 13 year old Xbox Live players. It's a very fine line - they're going to ship a working prototype within a month of when they said they were but are still getting flamed for delivering the near impossible.

on another note, all the people with outstanding prizes for WoW tournaments got paid so Crypto is no longer quite as broke :v:

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I like this :allears:

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I just wish it was good.

Related to this, I'd really like to see some custom win animations for things like this. If I actually assemble this beast and use it, can we get an animation of a giant spear lodging in the picture of the opposing (or hopefully not my) champion?

It would be so disappointing if it just kind of pinged the other guy like it was a goddamn Burn. It's a 5-card combo that deals 5,000 straight up. It needs some sort of zazz.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
It should be able to target creatures for when I want to toy with my opponent. :colbert:

"Oh ho, You managed to get a 2/2 goblin out. I'm in trouble now. BLAMMO, your Goblin takes five thousand damage. I attack for one.*

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Go RV! posted:

I just wish it was good.

Related to this, I'd really like to see some custom win animations for things like this. If I actually assemble this beast and use it, can we get an animation of a giant spear lodging in the picture of the opposing (or hopefully not my) champion?

It would be so disappointing if it just kind of pinged the other guy like it was a goddamn Burn. It's a 5-card combo that deals 5,000 straight up. It needs some sort of zazz.

Aren't there some clone artifact and artifact-specific tutor cards in the set?

I see that card as a way to add an alternate win condition to an artifact-manipulation deck. It's a 2-cost artifact card that can generate more copies of itself, but you can't build a deck around it because there are too many counters (prevent/redirect damage, etc).

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Aren't there some clone artifact and artifact-specific tutor cards in the set?

I see that card as a way to add an alternate win condition to an artifact-manipulation deck. It's a 2-cost artifact card that can generate more copies of itself, but you can't build a deck around it because there are too many counters (prevent/redirect damage, etc).

Not really for artifacts, at least not in my quick scan of the spoiler. For troops, yes.

Disregarding shenanigans, it's going to cost you five draws, none of which do anything until they're all out, 10 resources, and all the while they're exposed to your opponent. Not to mention the difficulty of actually drawing them

Until you have five out, those draws would be better off as literally anything

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Maybe some crazy combo involving this guy and a ton of resources in your deck?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Go RV! posted:

Not really for artifacts, at least not in my quick scan of the spoiler. For troops, yes.

Disregarding shenanigans, it's going to cost you five draws, none of which do anything until they're all out, 10 resources, and all the while they're exposed to your opponent. Not to mention the difficulty of actually drawing them

Until you have five out, those draws would be better off as literally anything

Look at cards like Pterobot (pay one less to summon this for each artifact you control), Slaughtergear, etc. That's what it's useful for.

Looking at the spoiler though a lot of cards which I thought said "exhaust artifact" now say "exhaust robot." I'm not sure if that's a new change or just my memory - I was thinking that (for example) you could use Slivers as a cheap artifact to tap for Volcannon but you can't, has to be a robot.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Look at cards like Pterobot (pay one less to summon this for each artifact you control), Slaughtergear, etc. That's what it's useful for.

Looking at the spoiler though a lot of cards which I thought said "exhaust artifact" now say "exhaust robot." I'm not sure if that's a new change or just my memory - I was thinking that (for example) you could use Slivers as a cheap artifact to tap for Volcannon but you can't, has to be a robot.

Most of them previously said "Artifact Troop", which all but a handful of are robots anyway.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 9, 2013

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Goblin Cooking Pot is 1 cheaper, and can set back an opponent's charges, but it isn't a dead draw.

I know, the Spear is super cool, and it it's massive Timmy/Johnny-bait. It was one of the first things I looked at using. As a Timmy/Johnny, I reaaaaaally want to spear someone.

It just doesn't have the support it needs yet. It might be still be unspoiled, or it might be in an upcoming set. Midnight Shepherd is in the same spot.

If someone figures it out, I'll be more than happy to eat my words. Maybe someone will get the Demolisher to work. I just can't see it happening without the most amazing luck ever.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

The guy that voids your resources is interesting. Basically once you drop him you're guaranteed to hit nothing but spells afterwards. I'm not sure what kind of deck would want him most, an aggressive curve topper or a control deck with lots of spells.

Edit: Wasn't there the doppelgadget spoiled? It might not be in yet, but it copies an artifact when it comes into play.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
So I pop into the streams today and no one is streaming Hex... Did the roll out not occur last night?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Korak posted:

So I pop into the streams today and no one is streaming Hex... Did the roll out not occur last night?

Yeah, they didn't quite get to the first wave invites yesterday.

Brinkman posted:

10/8 - 5:45 PM

We're currently downloading the client and our testers are going to give it a spin, see if the issues are resolved. If so, the QA team is going to test the client to try and see if anything else broke. If not, our engineers will keep hammering on it. Not literally, with hammers, but with keyboards and code and text and stuff.

Sorry to disappoint, but it doesn't look like we'll be sending invites today. We'll have an update on 10/9 around 11 AM to inform everyone on where we're at. Thanks for your patience and support!

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

This is a nice read for folks coming over from MTG, which I think is a good number of us.
http://hextcgshuffle.com/2013/10/09/the-magic-the-gathering-players-guide-to-hex-tcg/

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I never even considered the possibility that resources would be exiled. Glad that I read that.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I just noticed they really nerfed Archmage Wrenlock. He lost his "actions cost 1 less to cast" ability.
:negative:

Probably for the best, though. He's still really good with the draw ability.

aunt jemima posted:

This is a nice read for folks coming over from MTG, which I think is a good number of us.
http://hextcgshuffle.com/2013/10/09/the-magic-the-gathering-players-guide-to-hex-tcg/

Good article, it'll definitely help some of my friends to make the changeover

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
My spear thoughts were as one of 3 decks for a raid. One guy's job is to make a apear, and the other two keep the team alive.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Anyone know of a deckbuilder site updated with the spoiler yet?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
If someone uploads a cards.xml for cockatrice would it be ok to talk about it in this thread?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
It begins. Noon.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Blinkman987 posted:

It begins. Noon.

Can't wait! :f5: Congrats on getting alpha officially out the door. I was just about to go to sleep too...but the hype is going to keep me awake.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Blinkman987 posted:

It begins. Noon.

Nice work guys! Hope everything goes smoothly and the servers stay stable.

Can't wait to see some streams start popping up. Also secretly hoping 250-tiers are soon!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

aunt jemima posted:

When did L5R get champion-esque units? Is the author trying to refer to Strongholds?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I wonder if $20 Kickstarter backers come before or after slacker backers. I kind of regret not pledging more now.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Blinkman987 posted:

It begins. Noon.

That's awesome news! I can't believe how much work has been done over the last few months, you should all get some sort of medal.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Excited, even though at 85 I likely won't be getting in today.

The 85 kickstarter does come with the Cardboard Tube Samurai, right? It says champion and up on the page, but the actual picture of the CTS isn't in the image breakdown.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

So just to clarify, still only GK and up are getting invites right now?
If I backed in like the 120-250 range, I should just be chilling, waiting for something to show up in my e-mail eventually?

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

Correct.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Assuming things go off without a hitch, I'm probably going to be streaming some Hex tonight at like 7 or 8pm EST (UTC-5). I may or may not be joined by a very powerful wizard. Who else will be streaming some beautiful Hex footage?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Blinkman987 posted:

It begins. Noon.

When is noon?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Jedit posted:

When is noon?

Pacific, so 20 minutes ago.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Jedit posted:

When is noon?

CZE time is always in PST. West coast best coast! :)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Feel like I'm waiting by the phone for the nerdiest prom invite in history.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Per @HexTCG, wave 1 invites are out.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I hope that means they're in the process of sending them out since I'm a GK with nothing yet. :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mikujin posted:

I hope that means they're in the process of sending them out since I'm a GK with nothing yet. :(

Yeah same.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Mikujin posted:

Don't forget to check your junk mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Go RV! posted:

Don't forget to check your junk mail.

I've checked spam folders in email accounts I don't even use any more.

edit: aaaarg RimWorld Kickstarter right now was a really annoying time for you to update

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 9, 2013

• Locked thread