Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Sogol posted:

In the spirit of geekiness.

- Our original journey from Athar took 3 months traveling in a group (so maybe slower)?
- We are one week 3-4 days south of Zepath.
- The recent update says Athar is another couple of weeks south?

Just trying to put that together. The Elian creation account takes 10 days. How long is a week?

And for true geekiness here is an article on ancient Babylonian math and its relationship to cuneiform that may or may to have to do with anything we know. I found it interesting in any case. It has some stuff on calendars too. Clueless as to relevance.

Babylonian Math

We are probably so sexy from studying sexagesimal mathematics.

For the sake of Goon sanity we are back to 7 days in a week. Tudiya's creation story is still ten days long. I had hoped no one noticed because almost no one noticed the ten day weeks... drat!

You are about 9 days from Zepath now. 7 days with Tudiya and a day and a half to reach this forest since you parted with Tudiya.

The edge of the FOREST which Athar was in was probably about two weeks south. Then two months walking through forest to reach the village.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Sogol posted:

I am going to take this as blood being exchanged (with healing) which is a bit of a theological difficulty given the 'Code of Zepa'. No idea if its true or not, just how I am taking it.

Edit: Pearls could probably be considered 'wrested from Asherah' and may actually be such. Effort and danger will be involved in any case. I want us to learn to build ships.

Stop coming up with more skills for us to halfassedly learn.

Diog: What do we think of following Tudiya in pledging our life to service to El? Would this fly? Would we now be in service of the High Priest?

What about say, pledging to extend the reach of Zepath or pledging to fight against monsters like Asherah?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

We are 16. 16! We have learned a lot for our age.

And

"A storm is (still) coming"!

We have been warned. Spoken to!

I have decided to interpret this literally. We need a ship. The ocean is coming to us. Asherah is pissed (or something) and has a long blood feud with Zepa. We are right in the middle of it now somehow or other that is not clear to me. We know math. We can totally learn to build ships, starting with bigger boats than Zepath currently has. Zepath is the town closest to the ocean. We are going to need carpenters and builders to help implement our grand design. A first effort would be a hilarious offering since there is no way to put it inside the temple. It would be hard to impossible to accomplish. It would be valuable to us in a variety of ways and could have a cool name. Everyone will think the idea of ship is keeerazy, since they (Tudiya) thinks even building a town close to the Ocean is too dangerous.

Enkidel, Scourge of the High Seas... Or at least a bit of coastline.

"Argh ye scurvy land lubbers, look sharp. Aye, we be hunting beasties. Asherah and spawn of Asherah. Row ye bastards. Pull for yer lives! Arghhhh." The Mighty Men all looking green around the gills and variously puking, etc. (Ok, so fine. Maybe Asherah is our Dad or something, but maybe we have Dad issues.)

We will take a winged sandal running across the waves as our sigil. People will flee in terror at the sight of it!

(Could just be early signs of delirium what with no food and only magic water for the last few days.)

We could offer a first boat and a life dedicated to this in some way.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Diog: What do we think of following Tudiya in pledging our life to service to El? Would this fly? Would we now be in service of the High Priest?

What about say, pledging to extend the reach of Zepath or pledging to fight against monsters like Asherah?

Based on what you know of him, if you mirrored Tudiya's pledge, he would likely be thrilled. This does not put you in Zebanetha's employ, necessarily. Tudiya fulfils his oath to El by being king.

Being king is kind of a lovely job.

He got his nice house as inheritance, not because he is king. He does not sit on a big gold throne in a palace and have his butt kissed. He has to listen to countless boring disputes on the Kings Chair in the market. When monsters attack, he has to be front and center and to keep the attacks infrequent, he has to go off with his Mighty Men and cull their numbers in the wilderness. When true dangers pop up, it is his job to deal with them, i.e. the dragon he killed.

He has to maintain the temple of El as well.

Being king comes with lots of responsibility, obligations and few if any real perks. A few times you have vaguely suspectes he would rather wander the world as a super hero, hunt and party along the way, not that he has ever actually said this.

How would you plan to fulfil an oath to serve El all your life? If you do not know, Tudiya or Zebanetha probably both have ideas if you asked.

A pledge to fight monsters or go monster hunting will also likely please him, though a pledge to fight Asherah is probably suicidal.

He is a 100+ year old giant adonis with super powers who looks to be in his early 40s and is apparently still fertile. Do you expect to outlive him? You should consider the possibility he will hold you to your oath if you make one.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

I'll vote:
1-e (Monster hunting)
2-q (Head for the coast)
3-u (Back via the river)

We know how to get food along the coast. That just leaves the problem of the sacrifice.

I think our best bet is to wander until we find some opportunity to do hero-things. Then, we'll sacrifice our token from our first real bit of heorism. Monsters will work if nothing more interesting presents itself.

(For instance: saving someone from Cannibals)

The other options don't seem right for a young hero. Cows and pearls are nice, but they just represent time at mundane chores. And, a pledge is an easy thing to offer; it's a sacrifice on credit.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

1. What do you hope to bring back an offering?
J. I will pray to El for an offering.
El will show Enkidel by serendipitous sagacity. Most people sacrifice up cattle because that's wealth which is apparently important to them. If wealth isn't important to us, we shouldn't bother with a cattle sacrifice. I don't mind getting pearls anyway for wealth otherwise, but a poem might be a good option.

A beast to slay would be nice, but ... maybe there's something more... something greater here in the wilderness. You know not too many people actually bother to do this ritual anymore which means more nifty things for the taking!

2. Bringing Snarls was either a brilliant idea because his nose in some ways helps to make up for my complete lack of wilderness survival skills, OR I was just drat lucky. Either way, I need to figure out how I am going to survive out here....
Q. It has been years, but I still know how to spear fish like a pro. I am going to make for the coast with Snarls.
+
R. I pray for food and water to sustain me.
We can pray to El on the way. I don't mind fishing and collecting pearls, but buying cattle for sacrifice isn't worth much to Enkidel, thus would be a poor choice for a sacrifice.

3. How do I plan to get back to Zepath, when I am ready? My thirst is not too immense, but I eat about six meals a day...
X. El will provide. I rely on the power of prayer to see me through.
Any of the options are fine, but prayer is needed for this great journey. We can practice how to dry any meat or fruit we find for a longer journey. Maybe make a wineskin or two for water.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
1. Voting F: Stone tablet with poem of praise, with the option of throwing a pledge onto there as well, if we can manage to do so. It was my idea initially, after all, and Diog seems to think it'll work, so go to!

2. Voting O, loving around in the HOPE of finding places that host more life and almost certainly more monsters does not sound like a winning proposition to me right now given how sparse our equipment is. Also, seriously, stay away from Asherah until we've got better odds of taking him.

3 . Voting T. It's not a GOOD option, but it beats rummaging around on the coast. A little prayer to El in the meantime wouldn't go amiss, though.

falcon2424 posted:

I'll vote:
1-e (Monster hunting)

I'd just like to remind you that many sources throughout our life have repeatedly stated that trying to hunt monsters alone without being a Mighty Man is risky as hell at best and suicidal at worst, with the needle veering towards the suicidal part. We are unarmed and will not be able to make anything beyond extremely crude weaponry. When we find the monster, we will most likely be suffering from hunger, thirst, and exposure.

This is not Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. We are not obliged to rush headlong into the most dangerous choice every single time and we have no guarantee of surviving our choices or even emerging victorious. Are you sure?

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Tomn posted:

This is not Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest.
Heyooo!

Yea, this is really a time for Enkidel to ask himself: What's worth to you? What's got meaning to you? That's the answer to our offering.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Tomn posted:

I'd just like to remind you that many sources throughout our life have repeatedly stated that trying to hunt monsters alone without being a Mighty Man is risky as hell at best and suicidal at worst, with the needle veering towards the suicidal part. We are unarmed and will not be able to make anything beyond extremely crude weaponry. When we find the monster, we will most likely be suffering from hunger, thirst, and exposure.

This is not Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. We are not obliged to rush headlong into the most dangerous choice every single time and we have no guarantee of surviving our choices or even emerging victorious. Are you sure?

A tablet wouldn't be a bad offering for someone else. But it's wrong for us.

The offering is valued based the sacrifice and effort it took to acquire. A tablet, like pearls or a cow, is just a matter of sitting down and doing N hours of basically mundane work. That's a fine sacrifice for someone who aspires to a life of sitting around and doing years of basically mundane work.

But that's not the kind of man we're trying to become. And, so mundane-effort offerings are the wrong sort of sacrifice.

As I see it, the real choice (now) is between "go somewhere and craft for a couple weeks" or "explore". A life of heroism has to start with action somewhere, and if not now, when?

Our eventual heroic act doesn't need to be world-shattering. It just needs to be something that shows potential. I'd be fine with killing a normal 'monster' like a boar or an impressively-horned bull. I'd also be fine with an 'adventure' like getting a flower from the top of a particularly big mountain.

The option doesn't need to be stupidly dangerous. But it should be something that, when told to prove our manhood, we can find something more daring than a week of tablet-carving or pearl-diving.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

falcon2424 posted:

A tablet wouldn't be a bad offering for someone else. But it's wrong for us.

The offering is valued based the sacrifice and effort it took to acquire. A tablet, like pearls or a cow, is just a matter of sitting down and doing N hours of basically mundane work. That's a fine sacrifice for someone who aspires to a life of sitting around and doing years of basically mundane work.

But that's not the kind of man we're trying to become. And, so mundane-effort offerings are the wrong sort of sacrifice.

As I see it, the real choice (now) is between "go somewhere and craft for a couple weeks" or "explore". A life of heroism has to start with action somewhere, and if not now, when?

Our eventual heroic act doesn't need to be world-shattering. It just needs to be something that shows potential. I'd be fine with killing a normal 'monster' like a boar or an impressively-horned bull. I'd also be fine with an 'adventure' like getting a flower from the top of a particularly big mountain.

The option doesn't need to be stupidly dangerous. But it should be something that, when told to prove our manhood, we can find something more daring than a week of tablet-carving or pearl-diving.

Well, it IS a week of trying to carve a tablet without any tools or particular skills and carrying it around (or keeping it in a safe place) WHILE simultaneously finding food, water, shelter, and anything else needed (without any tools, again), or else diving for pearls in an ocean that is the known home of a hungry demon we have mostly repudiated, and which aside from anything else is in fact an ocean with El-knows-what lurking inside.

But leaving that aside, you should probably specify that by "monster" you mean "dangerous animal" because I'm pretty sure it's generally understood here to mean "minotaurs, dinosaurs, dragons, etc." which realistically speaking we have single-digit odds of fighting right now.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tomn posted:

But leaving that aside, you should probably specify that by "monster" you mean "dangerous animal" because I'm pretty sure it's generally understood here to mean "minotaurs, dinosaurs, dragons, etc." which realistically speaking we have single-digit odds of fighting right now.

I'm pretty sure it's double digits. The first digit being zero. :v:

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
Chiseling a poem onto a slab and going home just rings false to me as to what this quest is all about and who Enkidel has become.

Slaying a dangerous animal (monster is beyond our means at the moment, agreed), finding something valuable, or waiting for something divine to pop out to us in the wild seem like better options much more in line with Enkidel's interests and skillset. Besides the flute (which we never really practiced with much anyways) we aren't an artist.

If we find the equivalent of a biblical burning bush somewhere that inspires us to create a grand epic poem and put it to stone, awesome, that seems good. Just chiseling a poem we already heard and going home seems....the easy way out.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Ohyo, could you cross post some of what we were talking about in the channel regarding what's suitable for us as a sacrifice, what would bring us stature and all that ? Don't have access to my comp

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
In addition to diving for pearls, I like the idea of Enkidel making an oath to return to Athar to save the innocents from becoming cannibals and sinners in the eye of El. It gives us a chance to see what has become of the village, it's likely to please Tudiya, and it probably also counts as a greater deed. It's something Enkidel will have to do after his return to Zepath, though, as he just doesn't have the equipment and skills for it right now.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Tomn posted:

Well, it IS a week of trying to carve a tablet without any tools or particular skills and carrying it around (or keeping it in a safe place) WHILE simultaneously finding food, water, shelter, and anything else needed (without any tools, again), or else diving for pearls in an ocean that is the known home of a hungry demon we have mostly repudiated, and which aside from anything else is in fact an ocean with El-knows-what lurking inside.

We started pearl diving sometime around age 4. We'd mastered it, and gotten a big collection of pearls, by the time we were 10. The people inland might find them valuable, but there's no way we'd see a bag of pearls as proof of heroic manhood.
---
How staying still in the forest safer than the other options?

Regardless of if we're sitting or walking, we'll have to deal with forest dangers. And there's no reason to think that this section is any safer than another.

The ocean seems like the clear improvement over the forest. We know the ocean's natural hazards. We know what's edible and what isn't. Following the shoreline also means that we won't get randomly lost. The fish god won't hold a grudge (because its thoughts amount to 'HUNGER!'), so we won't draw its attention unless we specifically summon it.

I think the ocean also provides us the best chance for king-impressing (but survivable) adventure. We speak the local language natively, and were trained as a priest. So, if we encounter people, we should expect them to be initially friendly to us.

And that opens up all possibilities for awesome sacrifices. We might be able to save someone or steal something. The story of our defeating cannibals would impress the warriors. A fish-tribe token (like a tooth) would seem rare and exotic to the priests. And interfering with the fish-people would represent us sacrificing our option of ever going home again.

So, I suppose I should change my vote to:
1-N, let's go see if we can get a token from human-eating fish people

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

1. What do you hope to bring back an offering?
N. If we are somewhat close to Athar, we could backtrack and try to recover Shushem's ceremonial knife, which should make a nice sacrifice. Failing that, we could try to find Athar and bring some other item sacred to Asherah.

2. Bringing Snarls was either a brilliant idea because his nose in some ways helps to make up for my complete lack of wilderness survival skills, OR I was just drat lucky. Either way, I need to figure out how I am going to survive out here....
P. Obviously.

3. How do I plan to get back to Zepath, when I am ready? My thirst is not too immense, but I eat about six meals a day...
U. The shore is somewhat dangerous, but it's the most certain way to reach Zepath.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

OhYo posted:

Heyooo!

Yea, this is really a time for Enkidel to ask himself: What's worth to you? What's got meaning to you? That's the answer to our offering.

Zybourne Clock posted:

In addition to diving for pearls, I like the idea of Enkidel making an oath to return to Athar to save the innocents from becoming cannibals and sinners in the eye of El. It gives us a chance to see what has become of the village, it's likely to please Tudiya, and it probably also counts as a greater deed. It's something Enkidel will have to do after his return to Zepath, though, as he just doesn't have the equipment and skills for it right now.

I'm with Zybourne Clock here. I think what we need to do is get pearls and say, when we offer them on the altar "I give these pearls as a symbol of those I will save from Asherah, and others like her. I dedicate my life to serve El first, Zepath second, and the people that have long been enthralled by demons third."

The second clause allows a bit of an out if Danal or Tudiya feel that they would like us to chill out with them, at least until Danal is of age as well, because that would be serving Zepath. The first clause is just a statement that our actions are for El, and the third is to not kill Asherah or anything, but strive to bring the light of El to the people of Athar or other places.

The pearls bit allows for the temple to be pleased due to value of the offering. It also works symbolically; pearls from the ocean, wrested from Asherah, just as the people will be taken from the fishgod.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone explain why we love El so hard? Maybe it's just because I was on Team Asherah at the start, but I am continually boggled by people who toss in that we need to pray to El in every situation we come to. Maybe El help's people who help themselves. We seem seem like a grovelling zealot.

I see the manhood ritual offering as a symbol of us becoming a man, not as a quest to get the best El trinket.

It seems like we want to adventure, not be a monk. It also feels like people want to suck up to El so we get divine power or something. We're rad on our own, let's focus on training ourselves and adventuring.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I don't see why we can't offer multiple things. We should offer our self as personal value, something of monetary/wealth value (worldly belongings or posessions, pearls), and something of value to our pride, like a trophy of a monster we best.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Tsyni posted:

Can someone explain why we love El so hard? Maybe it's just because I was on Team Asherah at the start, but I am continually boggled by people who toss in that we need to pray to El in every situation we come to. Maybe El help's people who help themselves. We seem seem like a grovelling zealot.

I see the manhood ritual offering as a symbol of us becoming a man, not as a quest to get the best El trinket.

It seems like we want to adventure, not be a monk. It also feels like people want to suck up to El so we get divine power or something. We're rad on our own, let's focus on training ourselves and adventuring.

I'm just speaking for myself here, and I was on Team El from pretty much the start, but I think Enkidel being pious makes sense generally. He knows that gods, or godlike beings, exist. He has felt Asherah, and was terrified by it. He has also interacted with some type of unknown being that protects him from an entity that might very well be Asherah, as well as had that entity heal him from injury.

He's witnessed the acts of Tudiya personally, and has little reason to doubt what Tudiya has preached. It contradicts what has been taught regarding Asherah, but here these people are, openly defying fishgod. They are not devoured, or drowned by the sea. They state that Asherah is nothing before El and, now, we've found a historical record indicating Zepa straight up drove Asherah into the ocean.

Basically, where Enkidel is right now, he has every reason to be embracing El. This may change in the future.

As far as prayer goes, we've potentially witnessed prayer to El doing things, most notably while lost in the forest. Is this definite? No, not really, but combined with everything else it seems like a totally viable course of action. Also, prayer often can be complimentary to other actions. Like I voted to pray and shake the obelisk's hand. If we get into fighting a monster, I'm totally voting for praying to El while trying to smite the fucker (or run, depending on the monster).

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I don't see why we can't offer multiple things. We should offer our self as personal value, something of monetary/wealth value (worldly belongings or posessions, pearls), and something of value to our pride, like a trophy of a monster we best.

All these things take time, and I don't want to spend months out here. We need to spend time with mom.

edit: The above mentioned reasons are why I think Enkidel believes in El. Also, Jalitha prayed to El and was saved by Tudiya.

Question for our memory: Do people ever call out El's name to glorify him? Like, yelling out El while running to battle, etc.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 10, 2013

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Like, yelling out El while running to battle, etc.

This totally happened with the minotaurs.

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008

Sogol posted:

We are 16. 16! We have learned a lot for our age.

And

We have been warned. Spoken to!

I have decided to interpret this literally. We need a ship. The ocean is coming to us. Asherah is pissed (or something) and has a long blood feud with Zepa. We are right in the middle of it now somehow or other that is not clear to me. We know math. We can totally learn to build ships, starting with bigger boats than Zepath currently has. Zepath is the town closest to the ocean. We are going to need carpenters and builders to help implement our grand design. A first effort would be a hilarious offering since there is no way to put it inside the temple. It would be hard to impossible to accomplish. It would be valuable to us in a variety of ways and could have a cool name. Everyone will think the idea of ship is keeerazy, since they (Tudiya) thinks even building a town close to the Ocean is too dangerous.

"Argh ye scurvy land lubbers, look sharp. Aye, we be hunting beasties. Asherah and spawn of Asherah. Row ye bastards. Pull for yer lives! Arghhhh." The Mighty Men all looking green around the gills and variously puking, etc. (Ok, so fine. Maybe Asherah is our Dad or something, but maybe we have Dad issues.)

We will take a winged sandal running across the waves as our sigil. People will flee in terror at the sight of it!

(Could just be early signs of delirium what with no food and only magic water for the last few days.)

We could offer a first boat and a life dedicated to this in some way.

This is the best idea, I want to see us trying to cram a rowboat through the temple doors.

Also,
Did somebody say bote?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Grandito posted:

This is the best idea, I want to see us trying to cram a rowboat through the temple doors.

Also,
Did somebody say bote?

There's nothing wrong with a good croctopus.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

dyzzy posted:

This totally happened with the minotaurs.

I totally forgot. Welp, there we go.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

edit: The above mentioned reasons are why I think Enkidel believes in El.

The problem I have with statements like this, or with what I think SerSpook is typically getting at, is that there's a big difference between our belief in El, and our behaviour towards El. I don't think anyone has any issues with Enkindel believing in El, the thing that seems weird is the constant reverential prayer votes for everything, up to, and including, praying to El asking it to provide us with our own sacrifice to it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

Theglavwen posted:

The problem I have with statements like this, or with what I think SerSpook is typically getting at, is that there's a big difference between our belief in El, and our behaviour towards El. I don't think anyone has any issues with Enkindel believing in El, the thing that seems weird is the constant reverential prayer votes for everything, up to, and including, praying to El asking it to provide us with our own sacrifice to it.

Yes, precisely. We know Asherah exists and is powerful. We think El exists because the forest got a bit quieter one time, and obviously because of Tudiya and stuff. Sure, it seems like the the El worshipers are decent folks, but they also keep slaves, and we're one of them. We got lucky because we're pals with the king's son. I feel like a lot of people read A Land Between Rivers and noted how powerful belief and worship was there, and are trying to shoe-horn it in at every moment just to cover bases. I just find it really grating, but maybe it's just me.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
I agree about us being way, way too zealous over El. I don't have a problem believing in him, but by a lot of the posters we're a zealot that prays to him constantly. We've seen power and divinity. We have not seen El. Even in our city theres a faction that says he doesn't exist and gets on fine.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Diogines posted:

On the whole, you as an individual poster can hold whatever view you want. When most or all of you believe something, Enkidel does. If you are a minority view, you are that portion of Enkidel's mind in doubt. When no one can agree, Enkidel is uncertain.

And no, we are not Denziroh-style here, you are not an actual voice in his head.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Sogol posted:

From El's heart, I stab at thee! :v:

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Dunno, but part of the confusion might be the difference between a 'heart full of El' (which we have been told by that big guy fond of beating monstrous creatures to death with their own limbs is more powerful that any sword and such) and neurotically praying to El for help.

Specific interventions, in the form of heroes so far, seem to be accompanied by words in that language Tudiya used to start the fire. Versions of the word 'El' and 'Melechim' seem to often be included. I believe those are 'prayers' of a sort as well.

This is not an appetite for 'power' it is simply what we have seen and part of the world we live in. In fact we have specifically been told it is something we can never learn. Of course we saw Tudiya say VAYAHI OR and make fire. Seems we would be curious about that at least.

Tudiya really condemns the 'gratuitous' use of 'magic'.

Our encounter with Azz and even friendship with Ishamal tell us the world may not be exactly as black and white as Tudiya paints it. Condemnation or laws about things like Sorcery are evidence of existence. There might be an entire sorcerous practice beyond human sacrifice? There is at least one entire religion we have yet to encounter and if Tudiya is to be believed there are likely people 'farms'/worshipers for the four other main 'demonic' powers. We have only encountered two of those.

Ishamal goes privately to the temple on a regular basis. How come?

We have just agreed to Zepa's code and I am assuming blood was exchanged. It is probably pretty binding. We know some such things exist because Azz was afraid of 'getting in trouble'. From who? For what? We don't know, but it is evidence that there is something that is more powerful and has more authority than a 13’ winged being that can shape change, mold matter, and terra form, etc. apparently at a whim. Whatever that being or authority is, it does not seem likely to be Asherah who seems mostly made of HUNGER, seemed to get a black eye from (flying, lightning calling) Ishamal and who the Zepa-Stone claimed he defeated with his two hands.

There are these things that have happened to us or we have seen. They are immediate and real and do not require Sunday school or belief. They simply are, though of course varying explanations can be given. If that is the case how do we respond?

Prayer does not seem crazy to me in that context.

Edit: We seem to really be in the middle of a looooong war. I mean us in particular, wrested away from a Priest of Asherah by a descendant of Zepa. No clear idea of our parentage.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 10, 2013

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Vagon posted:

I agree about us being way, way too zealous over El. I don't have a problem believing in him, but by a lot of the posters we're a zealot that prays to him constantly. We've seen power and divinity. We have not seen El. Even in our city theres a faction that says he doesn't exist and gets on fine.

I agree. We've met a bunch of super-beings. Accepting one more isn't that big of a stretch. But belief isn't prayer. And it certainly isn't life-long devotion.

It just happens that the quest is "fetch a big trophy for the alter." It could just have easily been, "fetch a trophy for the city gates" or "fetch a trophy for the King".

The important thing is that the trophy-quest is our chance to show everyone how great we are.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
How many rows of names on the Zepa-Stone?

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Lets not make an oath to serve El all our lives, for one thing we have no idea what might happen in the future and its going to bite us in the rear end if we ever find out something which changes our mind about him.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

Captain Mediocre posted:

Lets not make an oath to serve El all our lives, for one thing we have no idea what might happen in the future and its going to bite us in the rear end if we ever find out something which changes our mind about him.

Also it's a cop-out

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

I'm starting to think that maybe prayers to El that 'work' are just magic spells that have been distorted into prayers as they've been passed down generations, that work by virtue of the innate (blood?) magical ability of whoever's 'praying'

Possibly started by; "Oh nah I'm not a sorcerer like those demon ones, ummm its just this god, El answering my prayers, yea like that word I sometimes say during my spells, which are totally prayers.....I'm actually his priest....yea he created the Ophanim and all those other angels that we know about, hes like the top god- he very rarely interacts with normal people. Remember when Smattas saved that guy?, yea El sent him.

Kind of what Bareen thinks I suppose?

diog have we or anyone we know actually ever seen El 'answer' someones prayers?, someone who isn't either a Mighty man (relative of Tudiya) or a supposed descendant of Labaras?

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 10, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

maxhush posted:

diog have we or anyone we know actually ever seen El 'answer' someones prayers?, someone who isn't either a Mighty man (relative of Tudiya) or a supposed descendant of Labaras?
It is well known that El does not directly intervene to help people, nor does he talk to people, the only person he ever spoke to, ever, being Labaras. El only answers prayers by sending Melachim to help people.

In the stories your mother told you, as well as the stories you have heard from Ishamal, Tudiya and others, many people receive divine aid, not just mighty men, particularly good people in need of help, women and children. It is widely believed that everything people do is watched and that if Mighty Men can't save the day, the Melachim will pick up the slack, if, the people asking for help are sufficiently "good".

Your mother seems to be pretty firmly of the opinion that Tudiya was sent to answer HER prayers, to rescue the two of you from Athar.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

falcon2424 posted:

I agree. We've met a bunch of super-beings. Accepting one more isn't that big of a stretch. But belief isn't prayer. And it certainly isn't life-long devotion.

It just happens that the quest is "fetch a big trophy for the alter." It could just have easily been, "fetch a trophy for the city gates" or "fetch a trophy for the King".

The important thing is that the trophy-quest is our chance to show everyone how great we are.

As it stands right now, El is the only one of these super-beings who had a positive impact on us from young. Prayer to him seems to work. Unlike the fish. Praying to the Ophanim is sacriligious as we've been taught. And since prayer costs nothing and promises a lot of benefits, why not throw it in? Especially since we're on a trial, where we're told being pious is more important than our skills.

I do not count Azz or the Obelisk as one of these super beings.

Ohyo made a good point in the IRC that EL seems to be someone who likes fruit offerings. There's a direct command to not hurt any trees. And he hates the scent offerings of animal sacrifices. Perhaps he's a direct opposite of El in our universe, which hated plant offerings and liked scent offerings.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

To clarify, roasting a cow on an altar makes a pretty nice smell, as does burning incense. It is popularly believed that El actually cares about the value of the offering and is pleased by the literal smell. Tudiya explained that it was not the smell of sacrifices which pleases El, not that he hates the smell of sacrifices.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Diogines posted:

To clarify, roasting a cow on an altar makes a pretty nice smell, as does burning incense. It is popularly believed that El actually cares about the value of the offering and is pleased by the literal smell. Tudiya explained that it was not the smell of sacrifices which pleases El, not that he hates the smell of sacrifices.

Watch it turn out Tudiya is wrong, and El freaking LOVES good smelling sacrifices. Our pearls will be worthless to El.