Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Here's the thing about bomb fuses. The shorter the fuse, the longer the bomb needs to fall before it arms. This is to keep you from dropping a bomb and having it go off while you're in the blast radius. 'Immediate' usually means the bomb needs to fall a hell of a long way. Try a short or long delay.

When I hit Tab to bring up the communications menu on the right it tells me the settings of my current bomb. It should for everyone but some people don't seem to get that. For all I know it's because I always host games and maybe only the host gets to see that. :iiam:

I think I had been confusing bomb fuzing and bomb arming, but I think I am clearer on that now. For dive bombing/ground attack I want a delayed bomb which will arm fast but detonate in a delay after impact. Instant bombs, on the other hand, arm slowly but blow up the minute they hit the target, right?

Daidlos Team is doing a pretty bang-up job of working on IL-2. Maybe we should get them to do a Kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
If any of you guys have a BoS preorder, you should vote in this poll to encourage the developers not to give preorders exclusive permanent ingame advantages.

RE: Bombing: Personally I'd be happier with the IL2 bomb changes if there was a simple "zero arming time, N second fuse" configuration instead of this confusing crap we have now. If I drop a bomb too low and blow myself up that's my own business.

Breakfast Machine
Aug 13, 2003

I certainly hope you don't hook up with Henry Moore. He's actually too big for some women to handle, though most are incredibly satisfied.

EvilJoven posted:

Also, making time for regular IL-2 stuff is hard enough. IIRC, the nerdwrangling required to keep an SEOW campaign going was insane to the point where the people involved in organizing it burned out.

I'd rather not subject myself to that.

That being said, if someone else wants to host an SEOW campaign, or host ANYTHING, please do so. I'm more than willing to let other people host things. Announce it here and send me a PM here or in Steam to post an event on the Steam group. Hell, I'd be giving rights to the Steam group to a lot more people if I were the group owner.

Oh god, SEOW. So much fun when it's working properly. Such a giant pain in the rear end when it's working properly. I'll look into it. If there's a way to run it without hosting it online, I might be masochist enough to try to put something together. If you still have to deal with all the database, ftp, login management stuff then no. Nope nope nope.

Edit: Yeah, no way. Still crazy complicated. Requires HSFX. Too much trouble. DCG is good enough.

Breakfast Machine fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 9, 2013

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Ralith posted:

If any of you guys have a BoS preorder, you should vote in this poll to encourage the developers not to give preorders exclusive permanent ingame advantages.

What the gently caress is that poo poo? After the flop that was CLOD, restarting the franchise shouldn't start off by punishing people who are taking a 'wait and see' attitude towards this game. Just what kind of advantage are they planning on handing out, here?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

EvilJoven posted:

What the gently caress is that poo poo? After the flop that was CLOD, restarting the franchise shouldn't start off by punishing people who are taking a 'wait and see' attitude towards this game. Just what kind of advantage are they planning on handing out, here?

Oh, right, you can't see the details. They were planning on giving preorders exclusive access to equipping 20mm gunpods on the BF-109 F-4. Although 15mm gunpods on the F-4 and 20mm gunpods on the G-2 are still available to everyone, this sets a very worrying precedent. A lot of people--interestingly, almost all of them preorder owners--have spoken up on the forums pointing out how crappy this is, only to get shouted down with crap like "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" or "gunpods make you disadvantaged in a dogfight so who cares" or even "that'll show the doubters". A lot of them seem to be confused by the idea that most of the game's eventual player base won't be composed of preorders, and those that do understand that tend to spin it as a "777 is so clever for coming up with a way of limiting the availability of a historically rare loadout!". I think basically there's a huge cadre of spergs for whom 777 can do no wrong, and who will make any rationalization to support that.

After initially being dismissive of people's concerns (the community manager commented "Do not let those 5mm concern you that much", as if a ~50% increase in shell volume is trivial), they eventually put up an official preorder-owners-only poll to quantify people's feelings on the matter. Right now it's got 200 votes at about 2:1 in favor of universal access to the gunpods (insofar as most of the equipment is universally accessible, i.e. an unlock awarded for ingame stuff), but twelve hours ago it was 4:1 in favor, and it's anyone's guess what threshold the devs have set for making their decision, if they're even going to decide based on the poll at all.

e: Now it's (very slowly) climbing again. I'm probably seeing patterns in noise, but I can't help but wonder if it's correlated with time zones.

The several other preorder rewards include a few exclusive skins and early unlocks, but everyone's more or less okay with those. I'll also take this moment to note that preorders are expected to close sometime this month simultaneous with the beginning of alpha access for premium preorder owners.

e: VVVV I agree, but it sounds like the singleplayer's going to be interesting enough that working your way through them all won't be hugely demanding. It's actually not a bad way to keep new players from getting overwhelmed by choices, I think; I remember it took me a year or two before I knew what to make of 1946's absurdly gigantic aircraft list, though picking stuff at random was interesting enough. Even so, there should still be the option to skip all that in custom missions/servers/difficulty settings.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 9, 2013

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Never been a big fan of "unlocks" in simulation games. Always thought computer simulations should be a big sandbox where you can play airplanes however you want, kinda like 1946. The only limitation should be the creativity of the mission designers, not arbitrary experience points or war bucks.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ugh. That's not game breakingly terrible but it still sets a bad precedent.

On a slightly related note, because I decided to see if a developer would give me beta access (a long shot, I know) I had to register on their forums. While doing this I caught a glimpse of the posting that goes on there. It's Banana Forums 2.0 over there, complete with absurd levels of developer worship and nitpicking tiny details nobody should care about until a game is finished and running well. The only things missing are the Oleg/Luthier apologists, for that you have to go to the DCS WW2 kickstarter.

Spergs, spergs never change.

:siren: IL-2 IS STILL ON FOR TONIGHT AT 9 PM CDT! CHECK THE OP FOR MUMBLE INFO AND GET IN! :siren:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Fortunately a comfortable majority of the population agrees about the bad precedent thing. We're up to 271 votes and holding steady at just over 2:1. There's worshippers and apologists all right, but they're well outnumbered. Similarly, nobody seems to be taking people seriously when they demand to know why the particle effects for the pilot getting a cold and sneezing aren't visible in the prealpha footage. Also, there's actually a thread on the forums somewhere where people are buying other people preorders apparently at random if you want to throw your name in the hat there.

Sad that I won't be able to make this IL2 night either; got family obligations tonight.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

Ugh. That's not game breakingly terrible but it still sets a bad precedent.

On a slightly related note, because I decided to see if a developer would give me beta access (a long shot, I know) I had to register on their forums. While doing this I caught a glimpse of the posting that goes on there. It's Banana Forums 2.0 over there, complete with absurd levels of developer worship and nitpicking tiny details nobody should care about until a game is finished and running well. The only things missing are the Oleg/Luthier apologists, for that you have to go to the DCS WW2 kickstarter.

Spergs, spergs never change.

:siren: IL-2 IS STILL ON FOR TONIGHT AT 9 PM CDT! CHECK THE OP FOR MUMBLE INFO AND GET IN! :siren:

Its no surprise Dover turned out the way it did if the developers focus on their own forums.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Never been a big fan of "unlocks" in simulation games. Always thought computer simulations should be a big sandbox where you can play airplanes however you want, kinda like 1946. The only limitation should be the creativity of the mission designers, not arbitrary experience points or war bucks.

This. I don't want to have to earn 3000 more PLANE-XP to unlock 50cal guns. This is pretty much exactly what drove me away from WoWP, I just want to load my stupid missions and do what I want.

Reading the BoS forums makes me want to pull my hair out. Someone made a thread about Pilot Simulation that would include improved G resistance and "heavy breathing during blackout". They wanted these stats to improve with use.
Go play loving WoW.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 9, 2013

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Reading flight sim suggestion threads you begin to wish that 'immersion' wasn't a word.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

pixelbaron posted:

Reading flight sim suggestion threads you begin to wish that 'immersion' wasn't a word.

At this point I imagine the posters being immersed in hot oil. It helps.

Bug Report: Skin texture does not reflect the reality of immersion in 1940's oil blends

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

JerikTelorian posted:

This. I don't want to have to earn 3000 more PLANE-XP to unlock 50cal guns. This is pretty much exactly what drove me away from WoWP, I just want to load my stupid missions and do what I want.

It's nothing so egregious as that--you start out with a fully equipped aircraft, and gain access to a small number of additional field mods. Still bad, but not War Thunder, let alone WoWP, bad. I'm not actually sure whether this applies to custom missions or not, either.

Breakfast Machine
Aug 13, 2003

I certainly hope you don't hook up with Henry Moore. He's actually too big for some women to handle, though most are incredibly satisfied.
I was thinking about SEOW and what I enjoyed about it. I really think it was just the large campaign and the stat tracking. Would there be any interest in a larger, spergier campaign with stat tracking? I'd leave the tags on, but would probably want to up the difficulty otherwise. No map icons at the very least. We could just fly a mission on Sunday before the DCG/dogfight stuff. There wouldn't be any respawning, so if you died you'd have to go dogfight or something while waiting for the mission to end. Just thought I would gauge interest before spending any time on it.

Also, I'll be streaming our IL-2 shenanigans this evening if anyone cares to watch: http://www.twitch.tv/breakfastmachine

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I REALLY wish you could do persistent campaigns with stat tracking and JIJO/Respawn. Having to make 100% sure you're logged in and your shits running properly before mission start is a bit of a PITA. Technically MDS mode with Lowengrins DCG will do that but without the stats tracking. What happens during one session affects what gets generated for the next.

That being said, if you host it I'll do my best to join in.

Breakfast (or anyone else), if you're willing to host that or normal IL-2 stuff this Sunday during the time I'd be wanting to host you'd be helping me out a ton. I'm moving this weekend and my computer stuff and/or Internet access might not get set up in time.

I was thinking 6:30 to 9:00 PM CDT. If you do the session at that time I can join in if my stuff gets set up.

Breakfast Machine
Aug 13, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

I REALLY wish you could do persistent campaigns with stat tracking and JIJO/Respawn. Having to make 100% sure you're logged in and your shits running properly before mission start is a bit of a PITA. Technically MDS mode with Lowengrins DCG will do that but without the stats tracking. What happens during one session affects what gets generated for the next.

I'm pretty sure this will work with DCG and respawning: http://il2statsweb.codeplex.com/
It will list the players multiple times. One for each plane they use. Here's an example I found online: http://www.fibow.co.uk/il2stats/MissionDetails.aspx?MissionName=Winter_Defense194204090

Anyone have a web server that can run MySQL?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Breakfast Machine posted:

I'm pretty sure this will work with DCG and respawning: http://il2statsweb.codeplex.com/
It will list the players multiple times. One for each plane they use. Here's an example I found online: http://www.fibow.co.uk/il2stats/MissionDetails.aspx?MissionName=Winter_Defense194204090

Anyone have a web server that can run MySQL?

I have access to a 1 gig Linux vps that can run stuff.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Breakfast Machine posted:

Also, I'll be streaming our IL-2 shenanigans this evening if anyone cares to watch: http://www.twitch.tv/breakfastmachine

I will be as well! http://twitch.tv/kilonum2

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There seems to be a lot of flying in one direction. And someone's plane doesn't look too healthy.

edit: The gooniest landings.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 10, 2013

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Overall I think tonight was a success. The DCG is running a lot better, people are shaking some of the rust out of their joints and overall it was a pretty chill night.

We even managed to do something very few Goons manage to pull off in spergy games like this; we completed an objective!

I'll be hanging on to this campaign. That being said, the next time I host I'll probably want to put it aside and mix it up a bit.

Breakfastmachine has said he'll step up and host for the next session, which is:

:siren: SUNDAY OCTOBER 13 AT 6:30 PM CST :siren:

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I was sitting at work, jealously watching your livestreams. Bastards.

On a side note, I happen to have one of these sitting around in my closet. If you are interested in such a thing, feel free to PM me and we'll work something out. It is confirmed working and I am the second owner.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I had lots of fun watching you guys. I had two streams going and it was pretty :pcgaming:.

I might give playing a go if I'm not a horrible laggy nightmare. :)

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
IL2 is extremely latency-tolerant, so I wouldn't worry. It's not like an FPS where you can turn 180 degrees and headshot a sprinting guy in a fraction of a second, so there's a lot more room for compensation.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Overall I think tonight was a success. The DCG is running a lot better, people are shaking some of the rust out of their joints and overall it was a pretty chill night.

We even managed to do something very few Goons manage to pull off in spergy games like this; we completed an objective!

What's the result of the objective change? Did the map move at all?

And those were some good pewpews. We got a nice mix of ground attack and a2a stuff in, which was really nice.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I need to practice my B109 vs LaGG dogfighting. I got completely dominated in short order 2x last night. :(

What's the best way to do this? I'm thinking use the quick mission builder to just make a single AI with a decent skill then just cheat invulnerability and unlimited ammo? Other suggestions?

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Essobie posted:

I need to practice my B109 vs LaGG dogfighting. I got completely dominated in short order 2x last night. :(

What's the best way to do this? I'm thinking use the quick mission builder to just make a single AI with a decent skill then just cheat invulnerability and unlimited ammo? Other suggestions?

Were you in the 109 or the LaGG? The LaGG is hilariously underpowered compared to the 109 so you might not have much hope there in terms a 1v1 fight (depending on AI difficulty). I wouldn't recommend giving yourself invulnerability but unlimited ammo can help if your gunnery needs work. The reason being, it helps to understand how to break a bandit on your 6 while they can actually damage you, since a strategy or maneuver that works while you're superman doesn't necessarily work when you're mortal.

QM's are indeed good for practicing plane matchups, that's what I'd recommend.

Breakfast Machine
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah quick mission. The G-2 is a much better plane. You're probably just rusty. Don't fight on the deck if you can help it. G-2 is better in the vertical and being able to split-s is an advantage. Most of my fights end up in scissors or rolling scissors. I'm not actually sure if that's something I'm doing or the AI is doing, but it always ends up with me on their tail.

Tuco22
Jul 11, 2013
HSFX 7 released for anyone whose interested in that.

http://www.242sqn.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3770

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Tuco22 posted:

HSFX 7 released for anyone whose interested in that.

http://www.242sqn.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3770

Anyone have a copy of the release notes? The link on the download page is down due to traffic.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just an FYI. While I'm not about to ban discussing mods or anything dumb like that, I ask that those of you who still have interest in them to refrain from trying to get the group as a whole away from running the game stock.

I'm not saying that's happening now but it happened in the past and was a pain in the rear end. I want to nip this in the bud before it becomes a thing.

We've had people in this thread indicate that our use of mods in the past was a pretty big barrier to entry and we all have to spend enough time keeping this game running well without the pile of support issues that come up when modding the game.

I want to keep things simple, especially for new players.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 11, 2013

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

EvilJoven posted:

Just an FYI. While I'm not about to ban discussing mods or anything dumb like that, I ask that those of you who still have interest in them to refrain from trying to get the group as a whole away from running the game stock.

I'm not saying that's happening now but it happened in the past and was a pain in the rear end. I want to nip this in the bud before it becomes a thing.

We've had people in this thread indicate that our use of mods in the past was a pretty big barrier to entry and we all have to spend enough time keeping this game running well without the pile of support issues that come up when modding the game.

I want to keep things simple, especially for new players.

I think it's great that we're sticking to vanilla. It's lowers the barrier of entry into this game for new people.

I also think it should be perfectly acceptable and even encouraged to discuss mods here. It's been made clear that all our goon sessions will be unmodded but many of the biggest servers still operating use HSFX and UP (less so the latter these days) so someone that maybe gets drawn in with goon nights but wants more frequent or challenging multiplayer would be well served by that discussion. It's not like there are enough players here for there to be two threads.

JSGME makes it easy to switch between mods and vanilla, so someone that wants to experiment will not be impeded from staying in goon games. Just remember to back up your vanilla folder before modding everyone!

EDIT: I found a duplicate source for the HSFX7 release notes here: http://forum.war-birds.com/hsfx-7-readme-t1008.0.html

dayman fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 11, 2013

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Discussing them is perfectly fine. What I want to avoid is us as a group running a mod pack.

Last time that happened it started with just a few people gushing over UltraPak and talking others in to trying it. In an week almost everyone was running it and if you wanted in on any goon game you needed it.

And then we did it all over again with HSFX like a week later.

And then new people stopped coming in because they didn't want to spend their first gaming session watching download and install progress bars.

So ya, talk is fine but no talking anyone in to it or before you know it we're back to needing 3 installs of the game and encyclopedic knowledge of mod handling requirements and support issues.

As for JSGME, ya it made some things easier but it was one of those things where the second it went wrong, which did happen on occasion, you found yourself having to reinstall everything. I'll pass, I hardly have time to play the game when it isn't so high maintenance.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
That's exactly what happened to me in Arma2 so it's definitely a concern. Tried to play with goons and need some mod installers, and a bunch of mods, none of which were updated in the OP. You basically had to pick apart the thread to find out what people were using, very tiring and off-putting.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

darkhand posted:

That's exactly what happened to me in Arma2 so it's definitely a concern. Tried to play with goons and need some mod installers, and a bunch of mods, none of which were updated in the OP. You basically had to pick apart the thread to find out what people were using, very tiring and off-putting.

For a while the GMod goons had a pretty cool way of doing this; you just downloaded an SVN of the current build. If you coudln't connect, you'd do another SVN checkout and you'd be golden.

I had tried ARMA and had the same problem though, so I ditched that. Especially now that 6DOF and native widescreen are part of vanilla IL-2, I'm more than happy to keep running with the normal pewpews.

Tuco22
Jul 11, 2013
Why not make a disclaimer in the OP about it and state if you want to run modded and vanilla just make a copy of your root folder.
Copy/paste isn't that hard. :colbert:

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Making a copy of your entire IL-2 1946 folder is what the pros do.

You wanna be pro don't you?

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Yeah, I was just going to mention that: if you DO want to gently caress with mods on your own, single player time (or playing with the supergrogs on Hyperlobby or something), just make a copy of your install directory somewhere. I think even the Steam version now doesn't care about it (someone else can confirm/deny that however... right now I'm at work).

I know for a while I was using a Steam install copied off to another directory with a replaced il2.exe file that didn't require steam to be loaded (I don't think that's :filez: since half the mods out there gave you the exe anyway).

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
IL-2 games starting up now, get in

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sunday was a fairly low key session, all things considered. It didn't help that I was exhausted. That being said, playing early war RAF against the Germans proved to be pretty challenging. I'll want to keep that campaign.

If anyone has more suggestions or wants to take a crack at hosting something they've found or even just have me fire up a campaign where a particular plane will fit in (try to keep things just a touch historical, not because of MY IMMERSION but because giving us something wildly advanced for the campaign makes things too easy), let me know.

:siren: The Next IL-2 Night is Thursday October 17th at 7:30 PM CDT :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Guadalcanal is a pretty fun campaign, have you tried that?

I mean, it's fun because it's a small map and things escalate quickly because everything converges and you're on this tiny airfield in between the front line on all sides. But it's also not fun because Lol Wildcats verses Zeros.

• Locked thread