Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Extinction, Rot Caster, Shrine of Prosperity, Inquisitor with life gain socket, that 5 CMC angel, Fear constant would be a solid core. Also, while in B/W, you could consider the champion that draws you a card for 2 life. That plus Enlightened Seeker while on the draw lets you play 2 cards turns 1-3 and still untap with a 6/5 on turn 5.

nyxnyxnyx fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
RG seems absolutely ridiculous. Rot Ogre currently gets +1/+1 from Ruby resources in addition to ruby cards. If you want to swing for 4 on turn 2 rot ogre is your bud all day everyday. It helps that RG also has the best answers so far or so it seems.

Also, Demented Demolisher + replicator's gambit + win condition + 50 resources got me my first rager in queues. It's a terrible deck, but it's funny when it works. It's hard to choose the win condition sort of. The blood major gem that does attack damage when it enters the battlefield should be the ideal I guess. Anything that multiplies by six for a win works, though. Pack Raptor is even more hilarious because it's rng whether you get the right raptor or not and they just keep filling your deck with garbage making the winning raptor ever more elusive.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 10, 2013

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Khorne posted:

RG seems absolutely ridiculous. Rot Ogre currently gets +1/+1 from Ruby resources in addition to ruby cards. If you want to swing for 4 on turn 2 rot ogre is your bud all day everyday. It helps that RG also has the best answers so far or so it seems.

Also, Demented Demolisher + replicator's gambit + win condition + 50 resources got me my first rager in queues. It's a terrible deck, but it's funny when it works. It's hard to choose the win condition sort of. Anything that multiplies by six for a win works. Pack Raptor is even more hilarious because it's rng whether you get the right raptor or not and they just keep filling your deck with garbage making the winning raptor ever more elusive.

I get the feeling Rot Ogre is not supposed to get the boost from ruby resources, only ruby cards played.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Just logged my 18th bug, just from documenting everything I ran into while adding a few cards to a deck. That's... honestly about what I was expecting from alpha, so I'm not unhappy. I think I may not actually try to play the game for a week or two, though.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
When I click Play Now, nothing happens, woo!

EDIT: Hit repair, looks like I need 400 files booooooooooooo

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 10, 2013

Khorne
May 1, 2002

pumpinglemma posted:

Just logged my 18th bug, just from documenting everything I ran into while adding a few cards to a deck. That's... honestly about what I was expecting from alpha, so I'm not unhappy. I think I may not actually try to play the game for a week or two, though.
The AI just stalls and does nothing for a while when it knows it is going to lose so you are forced to concede or let it run the 30 minute timer down. At least, every time it takes a turn in a hopeless board state where I win through swinging next turn it does this.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Dwarven "Affinity" has been working pretty insanely well. All-Star cards I didn't think would matter: Worker Bot Assembly and Research Librarian. All-Star cards I knew would matter: Pterobot, Volcannon.

I had one game where T6 I had Cannon ready to zap for 9 a turn, thanks to an opening hand with double Worker Bot Assembly, a pair of Charge Bots, and Research Librarian. Coupled with the Worker Bot charge power, I massed an army of dudes that just manned the cannons.

E: In addition to big zaps, I had two Librarians out that were drawing me a card a turn each for 0 which was also pretty stupid.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
So, either this is a bug or people are scooping as soon as I play a T1 Ancestor's Chosen.

Has anyone figured out how to change champs?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm actually curious how the set was playtested enough for the designers to be confident in the card set while the alpha was in this state.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Mikujin posted:

Dwarven "Affinity" has been working pretty insanely well. All-Star cards I didn't think would matter: Worker Bot Assembly and Research Librarian. All-Star cards I knew would matter: Pterobot, Volcannon.

I had one game where T6 I had Cannon ready to zap for 9 a turn, thanks to an opening hand with double Worker Bot Assembly, a pair of Charge Bots, and Research Librarian. Coupled with the Worker Bot charge power, I massed an army of dudes that just manned the cannons.

E: In addition to big zaps, I had two Librarians out that were drawing me a card a turn each for 0 which was also pretty stupid.

Mind linking to or busting out your deck list? This sounds like a really fun deck.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I don't think the chosen is that broken. It's only a 1/1 for 1 and that's fairly easily killed. Dropping 2/2 flyers for 1 and cantripping is pretty strong, but it also dilutes the rest of your deck by doing so.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Captain Capitalism posted:

I don't think the chosen is that broken. It's only a 1/1 for 1 and that's fairly easily killed. Dropping 2/2 flyers for 1 and cantripping is pretty strong, but it also dilutes the rest of your deck by doing so.

Cantips - you're not really diluting your deck in a meaningful way.

EDIT: More importantly, I need a new deck because Menacing Gralk is broken and your opponent never gets to untap and every new thing they play auto taps.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Karnegal posted:

So, either this is a bug or people are scooping as soon as I play a T1 Ancestor's Chosen.

Click the button that looks like you are naming the champion in the deck editor view. It's at the bottom right near the champion picture.

No idea if this actually changes the champion, but it lets you look at the champions and pick them.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm actually curious how the set was playtested enough for the designers to be confident in the card set while the alpha was in this state.

They playtest with mocked up physical cards.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Trip report: I'm in game and the interface works pretty intuitively. The AI is broken when it's losing. I'm not quite sure yet how to tell when a card is bugged and when I just don't understand it. I probably need to figure out how to file bug reports properly.

edit: still less buggy than the ultima online launch

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 10, 2013

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Karnegal posted:

When you're in the build a deck screen, there is a black rectangle at the bottom of where a champion portait would be. Click it, select a champion. Took me awhile to figure it out.

e; fb.

GaistHeidegger posted:

Mind linking to or busting out your deck list? This sounds like a really fun deck.

Dwarven Affinity v1.0

//Troops
4 Charge Bot
4 Pterobot
4 Technical Genius
4 Research Adept
4 Research Librarian
2 Flock of Seagulls

//Actions
2 Time Ripple
4 Oracle Song

//Non-Troop Artifacts
4 Sapper Charge
3 Volcannon
4 Worker Bot Factory

//Resources
21 Sapphire Shard

Initial thoughts on the deck, category by category:
Troops: Research Librarian has definitely far and away been the all-star troop, netting tons of card advantage. Even paying 3 to draw 1 when you've got no other reasonable outs is strong. Charge Bots are amazing at helping you flood the board with little artifacts, and as long as your opponent isn't playing Heat Wave you'll have no trouble sticking them (unless you need to block). Flock of Seagulls has been an all-star blocker when I've needed him, but I'll avoid playing him over other stuff if I don't need meat. Research Adept, overall, feels like it under-performs. A 2/3 cycler for 4 just isn't that great.

Likely changes: -4 Research Adept, +1-2 Flock of Seagulls,

Actions: Time Ripple has performed WAY better than I thought it would in this deck. Since you need a few turns to assemble your guys, it can definitely provide a great amount of stopping power. Unsummon for 3 with huge upside (the tempo loss of +1 cost has helped win games) was way better than I thought it would be. Oracle Song is just Divination and that's all it needs to be. Since, depending on your initial draw, you can dump a good chunk of your hand in the first few turns, having this is a great way to start refilling.
*Time Ripple might just get completely replaced by Countermagic once it's available. That being said, since a lot of our combo pieces are artifacts and troops we want out early, we're likely not keeping up countermagic resources.

Likely changes: +2 Time Ripple

Non-Troop Artifacts: Sapper Charge is a great utility card. I was originally using Goblin Cooking Pot since it's cheaper to activate, but the optional troop removal on Charge has been a stronger performer. Worker Bot Factory has been absolutely insane. In any game where I draw more than one, I'm able to punch out tons of drones - drawing three of them one turn was absolute overkill. Volcannon is an amazing way to turn a stalled board into an instant win. Heck, I've been letting aggro decks punch me with 1+ power dudes without trading since dropping Cannon can instantly become lethal damage if you untap with it (let alone you can often spike for 9+ the turn you play it). Because it's one of your win conditions (the other being early flying pterobots), you definitely want to draw it and I've found 3 is the magic number.

Likely changes: n/a - until War Hulk Construction Plans: War Hulk get fixed.

There are't a lot of draws you CAN'T keep with this deck (I just won a round keeping Sapphire x 3, Oracle Song x 2, Worker Bot Factory, Sapper Charge), since drawing cards that aren't combo pieces/assist pieces means you're drawing cards that dig you into your deck or keep guys off the board.

For kicks, I'm trying out a round right now with -4 Research Adept, +2 Time Ripple, +2 Argus.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Anyone know where I can find out what the Echoes of Lodegan do? They're not in the spoiler.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
For those waiting on next wave. I imagine it's going to be awhile. The game isn't stable enough to be regularly playable right now. 80%+ of my games end when neither played can pass priority and spacebar is doing nothing. After we get past that issue, maybe we can get a better idea of other problems, but that one is really preventing me from finding other bugs.

Some Numbers posted:

Anyone know where I can find out what the Echoes of Lodegan do? They're not in the spoiler.

I think they're weak generic dudes like 1/3s

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I agree with you that not being able to play as many matches are causing issues, but that's not a server load issue most likely so they'll probably try to jam in a few more players soon just so they're meeting "expectations." Even if you can't play a match out you're still in!

I actually have finished a bunch of matches, so I'm pretty surprised with how much is already done.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Karnegal posted:

For those waiting on next wave. I imagine it's going to be awhile. The game isn't stable enough to be regularly playable right now. 80%+ of my games end when neither played can pass priority and spacebar is doing nothing. After we get past that issue, maybe we can get a better idea of other problems, but that one is really preventing me from finding other bugs.
It doesn't even seem to be caused by something specific. I've had about as many games played to completion as games ended prematurely due to the priority bug. Heck, I've had the priority bug kick in after selecting whether to keep or draw a new hand.

Sadly, didn't get to actually play a game with Argus in my deck - two crashes in a row, and now it looks like servers are down or not functioning proper. I'll be back monday for more!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Selane posted:

At first I just saw the 1246 card library and thought that was pretty funny. Then I realized I had somehow missed the three foot stack of cards right behind it. :v:

Letting you play unshufflable decks like that is one of the main ways Hex harnesses the power of digital space.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

I agree with you that not being able to play as many matches are causing issues, but that's not a server load issue most likely so they'll probably try to jam in a few more players soon just so they're meeting "expectations." Even if you can't play a match out you're still in!

I actually have finished a bunch of matches, so I'm pretty surprised with how much is already done.

I don't know why you'd slam more people until you can get it running a bit smoother. Maybe I'm naive here, but I think that the current people who are in are more likely to be older (can afford $500-10,000 on a game that was a year off), and probably more mature - read more likely to understand what Alpha means. I don't know if it benefits CZ to let in a swarm of entitled $20 pledgers who are going to very loudly rage about the state of the game. These are the people who mobbed the downloads yesterday on a game they couldn't play and then bragged about how they were keeping higher pledgers from playing. Maybe you'd want to resolve a couple major bugs before letting those guys loose.

I'd imagine you want a slightly more stable client before you open the floodgates. Mass testing seems like it'll be a lot better for the purposes of finishing bugs with specific cards/interactions.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Finally able to login and create my account before work, only 8 more hours until I can actually start playing around with the alpha!

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

There's certainly something to be said for resolving the most serious bugs before throwing another wave of players in who'll just trip over and report the same issues. And I say this as somebody who's still waiting on an invite.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

This is true. I'm just not sure they'll do it, since they very much want to please the community first and foremost. This is not a bad thing, by the way! Still, I don't know which is worse: Having people complaining that it took too long to get in when Crypto "promised" they'd be in soon or having them complaining the game has a lot of bugs.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

True. The potential for gathering more useful feedback by spreading out the waves is likely outweighed by the increased grumpiness of people who want alpha access RIGHT NOW if they're told they're going to have to wait longer.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This is true. I'm just not sure they'll do it, since they very much want to please the community first and foremost. This is not a bad thing, by the way! Still, I don't know which is worse: Having people complaining that it took too long to get in when Crypto "promised" they'd be in soon or having them complaining the game has a lot of bugs.

To be fair, they did this to themselves to a certain extent - they expressly used alpha access as a sweetener to drive pledges, and they also pushed a time-table during the KS campaign that - given what we're seeing now - was in no way grounded in reality. Remember, they projected that we'd be in beta in September, and we're just barely inching into what looks like a pretty rickety alpha. They oversold their progress a bit.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

VanillaGorilla posted:

To be fair, they did this to themselves to a certain extent - they expressly used alpha access as a sweetener to drive pledges, and they also pushed a time-table during the KS campaign that - given what we're seeing now - was in no way grounded in reality. Remember, they projected that we'd be in beta in September, and we're just barely inching into what looks like a pretty rickety alpha. They oversold their progress a bit.

In adding features and cards, they've gone back a bit. GenCon build was very stable with only a few bugs.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I'm actually really impressed with the speed and the quality of the alpha. It's very obviously not ready for a beta but the game is mostly playable with a lot of cards and a UI that's functioning. The fact that they're only a few weeks after their (modified) "Alpha in September" is amazing.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Theoretically the main things right now are to keep the servers up with people in them and fix that annoying priority freeze bug.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.

Karnegal posted:

When I click Play Now, nothing happens, woo!

EDIT: Hit repair, looks like I need 400 files booooooooooooo

Where do you see 'repair'? I keep clicking Play Now and nothing happens. No other buttons visible.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

OBi posted:

Where do you see 'repair'? I keep clicking Play Now and nothing happens. No other buttons visible.

It was right below now play only small

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.

Karnegal posted:

It was right below now play only small

re-running the installer caused the button to appear which promptly fixed my problems. In as House Lannister! I may regret that name later.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

OBi posted:

re-running the installer caused the button to appear which promptly fixed my problems. In as House Lannister! I may regret that name later.

I just took Karnegal because gently caress the stupid keep naming scheme I want people to be able to find me in game.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Karnegal posted:

I just took Karnegal because gently caress the stupid keep naming scheme I want people to be able to find me in game.

Yup, same here. King Burgundy, even though it looks really weird. :)

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I took Helekar so I can make my first champion Voormas of Helekar because I am a big dumb babby :angel:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I took nothing as I'm still waiting for my Wave 2 invite. :smith:

Has there been any word on when the $250 tiers will be getting in? I'm guessing not this week, though.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

BenRGamer posted:

I took nothing as I'm still waiting for my Wave 2 invite. :smith:

Has there been any word on when the $250 tiers will be getting in? I'm guessing not this week, though.

No idea, they need to figure out how to fix some issues which does not have an expected ETA yet

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I'm throwing the towel in for today. The random freezing is just too constant to figure out any other card-related bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.
Well long games tend to freeze at some point, but it's still pretty darn fun when it's working.

Made a pretty fun and sweet U/B Argus reanimator/control deck that I like. Got to land an Argus with two dwarven turbines out and blow up my enemies board on the next turn, which really made my day.

Pretty fun game, if still understandably glitchy.

• Locked thread