Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Vriess posted:

Tweet in question: https://twitter.com/AG_Conservative/status/388299226125725696

I think I was just better off not touching this, but he and I were gonna come to a head eventually.

My favorite is how he goes on about the massive job security you have when your pay is getting furloughed :master:

EDIT:

quote:

I had a friend pull the "this is just satire" thing, but it only happened after I touched the poop and sank every argument he had. Is this what happened here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Saw this one today, but I'm generally uneducated about the funding sources for these programs. Does anyone have a good spot where the information is generally condensed?

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

Not the worst by any means, but I was put off when it popped up on my feed. Piles of hair creep me out though.

And yes, he liked his own photo.

No, I do think that is the worst. Who DOES poo poo like that?

I thought my one unstable republican friend had been awfully quite. He was just storing up.

The post is not as crazy as that Forbes op/ed which is basically all heresay and self-aggrandizing.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2013/10/11/the-national-park-services-behavior-has-been-shocking-and-it-should-be-privatized/

"Let’s privatize the National Park Service." I don't think even Ron Paul would privatize the National Parks [Edit: Nevermind, he totally would, thanks SybilVimes]

My friend supporting article (InfoWars, wow) are just as, I would say inaccurate but there are little "facts" to be had in them.

And yes, I do think that underfunded parks and memorials are afraid of someone getting hurt and suing.

York_M_Chan has a new favorite as of 17:27 on Oct 11, 2013

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

areyoucontagious posted:

Saw this one today, but I'm generally uneducated about the funding sources for these programs. Does anyone have a good spot where the information is generally condensed?

No information on hand, but the premise is that social security is far outpacing welfare and the money they 'worked for' is unsustainable. As a group, those on social security are pulling more out of the system then they've paid in, negating the 'worked for' argument.
It's more complex then that as taxes come from many sources, but the numbers going onto social security are getting larger then the system can bare. Welfare isn't having the same problem as the increases in those receiving is lower and welfare itself is criminally low.

Never mind the fact that 99.9% of welfare recipients will have paid taxes at some point in their life and are just as entitled to welfare as someone else to social security.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

York_M_Chan posted:

"Let’s privatize the National Park Service."

A very different headline: "WW2 veterans turned away from memorial, ticket prices too high"

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

York_M_Chan posted:

"Let’s privatize the National Park Service." I don't think even Ron Paul would privatize the National Parks

Wrong, he called exactly for that 2 years ago:

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2011/10/21/349536/ron-paul-public-lands/

And confirmed that was his desire a month later to CBS:

http://community.beliefnet.com/go/thread/view/44011/28705889/Ron_Paul--Sell_the_National_Parks!

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

e: meant to edit, not post, sorry

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

She's posted again. I know this isn't nearly as offensive as some of the other impressive screenshots in this thread, but it really pissed me off.

Last week, it was all "yey, the government is shut down! Take that Obama!" Even though I tried to explain that a lot of people's paychecks and federal assistance was being put on hold, her response was a shrug and "Whatever it takes to stop Obamacare!"

Now suddenly some website she needs to use is down and suddenly the shutdown is a problem. I still have no idea what website was needed for her studies, but I bet it was real important!

I'm yellow. I started posting a response and realized I was going to start ranting about her lovely attitude and it wasn't worth it. So I just kinda stopped typing, hit enter, and walked away from the computer.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

areyoucontagious posted:

The people sharing this wouldn't care if welfare programs were defunded anyways, so "welfare will run out of money!" isn't good line of attack against the program while "SS is running out of money!" is a great way to try to get decrepit old people to support a change that will 'strengthen' SS by cutting benefits for younger people.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
This just popped up on Imgur:

It's not easy being the owner of a large penis.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

eviljimmy posted:

Dude looks like Kenny Powers.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it

TheAbortionator posted:

Dude looks like Kenny Powers.

Only when someone said "act macho" he thought they said "eat mayo"

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

Business Gorillas posted:

EDIT:

I had a friend pull the "this is just satire" thing, but it only happened after I touched the poop and sank every argument he had. Is this what happened here?

I'm not sure about the large image. The first one was from a family friend that my parents have been friends with since high school, and when I blew up the image to post it here, it shows the actual image that she shared it from. Being friends with your parents' friends is the worst.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Finding the old man is a crucial part of this process. If you can't do it, I don't know what to tell you.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Oh no, my favorite part is they help you count to ten. If it weren't for the 'pass this on' crap, I would have thought this was an incredibly lazy educational poster in a kindergarten classroom.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

eviljimmy posted:

Is this man saying that he wants to defecate into women's mouths? That may be part of the reason he's not having much luck.

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

- - -

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 21:37 on Apr 2, 2014

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Inspector Zenigata posted:

Analingus is rimming, not pooping into the other person's mouth. The thing about nature's own antidepressant is about semen.

Update with the comments. This guy's such a charmer.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Inspector Zenigata posted:

Analingus is rimming, not pooping into the other person's mouth. The thing about nature's own antidepressant is about semen.

"Women [...] should just eat [...] my [...] intestinal contents."

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Reposted (on FB, of course) by a family friend:

Dr. Jack Newman posted:

The following is from a blog by a mother who tested her milk for alcohol. Not one of those useless kits that you can buy at various stores, but tested at a toxicology laboratory. I will copy from her blog the method she used and the results. I think this puts the lie to the notion that women should not drink while breastfeeding or need to "pump and dump" (an appalling term) after having even one drink. The following is an exact quote from her blog:

Method:
First I took a sample of my milk (about 1 mL) prior to drinking any alcoholic beverage. I expressed the milk mid-nursing session to ensure I had a goodly portion of fore & hind milk. After completing the nursing session, I mixed myself an alcoholic beverage consisting of 2 oz of 80 proof (40%) vodka in 10 oz of soda (Sprite). I proceeded to drink the entire 12 oz in about 30 minutes. About 30 minutes after finishing (1 hour after beginning to drink), I expressed some milk (about 1 mL) and labeled it 'immediate'. I then waited 1 hour and expressed more milk (about 1 mL) and labeled it '2 hours'. In the 2 hours (from the beginning), I did not drink any more alcoholic beverages, drink other beverages, or eat any other foods. Another day, 1/2 of a beer (4.3% alcohol) and 2-6 oz glasses of wine were consumed within 1.5 hours. About an hour from the beginning of the last drink, a milk sample (about 1 mL) was taken. This sample was labeled '1 hour - 3 drinks'. Another sample was taken about an hour after that (2 hours after the beginning of the last drink). This sample was labeled '2 hours - 3 drinks'.

The samples were stored in the refrigerator until processing. An Agilent headspace instrument was used to run the tests. Propanol and ethanol standards were also tested to ensure the instrument was within limits. The instrument is maintained by the KSP Lab Toxicology Section and used in forensic determinations of blood and urine alcohol content.

Results:
The sample labeled as 'immediate' registered as 0.1370 mg/mL which correlates to 0.01370% alcohol in the sample. The sample labeled '2 hours' registered as 0.0000 mg/ml which correlates to 0.0000%. The sample labeled '1 hour - 3 drinks' registered as 0.3749 mg/mL which correlates to 0.03749% alcohol in the sample. The sample labeled '2 hours - 3 drinks' registered as 0.0629 mg/mL which correlates to 0.00629% alcohol in the sample.

Conclusion:
The alcohol content in breast milk immediately after drinking is equivalent to a 0.0274 proof beverage. That's like mixing 1 oz of 80 proof vodka (one shot) with 2919 oz of mixer . By the way, 2919 oz is over 70 liters. Two hours after drinking one (strong) drink the alcohol has disappeared from the sample. Completely harmless to the nursing infant. Drinking about 3 drinks in 1.5 hours resulted in higher numbers, but still negligible amounts of alcohol would be transferred to the child. One hour after imbibing in 3 drinks, the milk was the equivalent of 0.07498 proof beverage. That would be like adding 1 oz of 80 proof vodka (one shot) to 1066 oz of mixer (1066 oz is over 26 liters). Two hours after imbibing in 3 drinks, the milk was 0.01258 proof. That would be like adding 1 oz of 80 proof vodka to 3179 oz of mixer (over almost 80 liters). So, even though an infant has much less body weight, any of these percentage of alcohol in breast milk is unlikely to adversely affect the baby. Bottoms up!

I am highly dubious of this claim and it reads like antiscience rubbish. I am especially dubious because it's a sample size of one, there is no indication as to how often, if at all, the woman normally drinks (and how much she drinks), and wouldn't you want to test the amount of milk an average infant would consume rather than a single drop?

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

- - -

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 21:37 on Apr 2, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Aerdan posted:

I am highly dubious of this claim and it reads like antiscience rubbish. I am especially dubious because it's a sample size of one, there is no indication as to how often, if at all, the woman normally drinks (and how much she drinks), and wouldn't you want to test the amount of milk an average infant would consume rather than a single drop?

My question is: There's a really easy way to ensure the alcohol content of the only food your baby is eating during the most critical brain development is "zero" instead of "not very much, I dunno, probably won't hurt her". Why wouldn't you do that every single time?

The effort:risk ratio there seems pretty off.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Libertarians.

“Hey guys my personal income is just like government debt.”

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

A couple of friends of mine were just tagged in a pic featuring giant nude anime ladies shooting lasers from their areola.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Elderbean posted:

Libertarians.

“Hey guys my personal income is just like government debt.”

Well, the obvious answer is to let the third son that can't get a job and wasn't able to go to university because you only budgeted for 2 college funds, and your parents, starve to death to bring the expenditure down to $35,000. Of course, we'll still keep paying for Son #1's fines and damages each time he goes out shooting the neighbour's mailboxes, that amount to $20,000/year, that goes without saying...

:patriot:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Aerdan posted:

How does it read like antiscience rubbish? It seems about the most scientific approach a single individual can take.

Alcohol is metabolized fairly rapidly by the body, on the scale of hours, so how much she normally drinks shouldn't be relevant. A milliliter is significantly more than a single drop (it's the volume of a cubic centimeter), and if you know the alcohol content in that sample, you know how much an infant would get based on how much it consumes.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

Dante is the original poster. He is married and has a baby, although I guess that doesn't mean he has any common sense.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

tentawesome posted:

Dante is the original poster. He is married and has a baby, although I guess that doesn't mean he has any common sense.

Considering that the surface the anime lady is on is a lovely Unglued Forest, he's definitely lacking in common sense.

The Forest in question.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Google says nursing infants drink 25 oz of milk per day and have an average birth weight of 7.5 pounds. In a scenario described in the facebook post, the alcohol (according to the facebook post) is about 1/1000 as concentrated in milk as in a vodka shot. If we assume that that's the concentration the baby normally drinks, that's 1/40 of a 1 oz 80-proof shot over the course of a day. Adjusting for weight, that's the equivalent of a 150-pound person drinking 1/2 of such a shot.

That's not exactly a vanishingly small amount like the facebook post makes it sound like, but it also doesn't sound too large... until you remember that the 150-pound person isn't currently undergoing critical brain development. I can't adjust for that numerically, but the upshot is "don't drink and nurse you dumbass".

:goonsay:

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Google says nursing infants drink 25 oz of milk per day and have an average birth weight of 7.5 pounds. In a scenario described in the facebook post, the alcohol (according to the facebook post) is about 1/1000 as concentrated in milk as in a vodka shot. If we assume that that's the concentration the baby normally drinks, that's 1/40 of a 1 oz 80-proof shot over the course of a day. Adjusting for weight, that's the equivalent of a 150-pound person drinking 1/2 of such a shot.

That's not exactly a vanishingly small amount like the facebook post makes it sound like, but it also doesn't sound too large... until you remember that the 150-pound person isn't currently undergoing critical brain development. I can't adjust for that numerically, but the upshot is "don't drink and nurse you dumbass".

:goonsay:
Yeah, but the 1/1000 concentration was the result an hour after finishing three drinks, and declined swiftly thereafter; applying that over the course of a day would assume the mother is also drinking pretty much constantly over the course of a day.

I certainly wouldn't use the results of one person's ad hoc investigation to guide my own decision-making. I just wouldn't say that her doing this is anti-scientific, and the results themselves don't appear immediately unsound.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

I am OK posted:

Mumsnet is a UK based forum of unfathomable terribleness. Usually who cares, right? In this case it actually has political clout. It is huge and our MPs kowtow to it.

Oddly enough when I was doing my Thursday map at work someone had a lawn sign advertising that very website.

I work in Toronto

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Just to throw in my own two cents and this is just base on what a professor said in one of my developmental classes, it's not entirely clear why some infants are negatively harmed by alcohol and others aren't. Obviously this doesn't include getting trashed every night when you are pregnant, but researchers don't know why some women can have a glass of wine and be fine and others will give birth to a child with fetal alcohol syndrome. The professor suggested it might be more correlated to *when* in pregnancy you drink rather than how much, with earlier stages of development more negatively effective. I don't know if that is similar to drinking and lactating though.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The most :fsmug: :fsmug: picture ever:

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

tentawesome posted:

It's called ART, you pleb. Haven't you ever seen an anime lady before? :smug:

This guy really reminds me of Mort from Anime Club.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Strudel Man posted:

How does it read like antiscience rubbish? It seems about the most scientific approach a single individual can take.

Mostly it reads that way to me because it's a sample-size of one; a properly rigorous approach would process milk from multiple nursing mothers (to control for situations like one's gut producing alcohol naturally) over a period of several weeks, preferably over a broad spectrum of society. Another reason it reads like anti-science rubbish to me is that someone is arguing against a reasonable idea ("don't drink and nurse") based on the fact that that one person metabolizes alcohol quickly enough for a shot of vodka to disappear completely from her milk after three hours. "Well it's fine for me" is not science.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, but the 1/1000 concentration was the result an hour after finishing three drinks, and declined swiftly thereafter; applying that over the course of a day would assume the mother is also drinking pretty much constantly over the course of a day.

I certainly wouldn't use the results of one person's ad hoc investigation to guide my own decision-making. I just wouldn't say that her doing this is anti-scientific, and the results themselves don't appear immediately unsound.

I think it's still pretty disingenuous considering that it throws around numbers like "1/1000" when they're

A. Consciously choosing to compare it to 40% pure alcohol instead of something like wine in order to make the fraction look smaller,
B. Only comparing the concentration of alcohol to a 1 oz shot even though even within a single feeding the baby will drink multiple oz, and
C. Not actually adjusting for body weight and presenting the adjusted figure.

Basically, they're doing as much as they can in their presentation to make the alcohol look as harmless as possible. It lets them throw around percentages that look really tiny so they can say "Even after you adjust for C, it would still be negligible!" and people will believe them because gosh that percentage is so small nothing could ever conceivably make it significant! But if you run the numbers and do adjust for all of this, it comes out to the equivalent of about 1/10 of a drink even within a single feeding. Why wasn't that number written in the post anywhere? Because that number isn't actually as tiny as they'd like the reader to think, and if they'd presented their results honestly instead of throwing around unadjusted tiny percentages, people wouldn't be so quick to believe their conclusion of "Drink away, it makes basically no difference!"

So if nothing else, there're doing something scummy by presenting their results in a misleading way, but that's not necessarily unscientific. Where it goes from being deceptive to downright unscientific is in the fourth factor they ignore:

D. Infacts are still developing and can far more be permanently damaged by alcohol than an adult could even after adjusting for body weight.

How strong is the effect of D? How much impact does the equivalent of 1/10 of a shot have on an infant's developing body and brain? I don't know - this isn't something I can adjust for with a single calculation. But I know it's an effect that exists, and I know it's impossible to conclude that any amount of alcohol is "safe" for infants without studying D and accounting for it. The facebook post not only doesn't adjust for D but also concludes "any of these percentage of alcohol in breast milk is unlikely to adversely affect the baby. Bottoms up!" without the slightest mention that D is even a possible effect that might be worth considering. That's a dangerous and unscientific; claiming to be able to draw that sort of conclusion while ignoring such a critical factor isn't just misleading, it's an outright lie.

But hey, I guess a little deception and lying is worth it for the good cause of telling people to get shitfaced while breastfeeding.

As for idiots on Facebook, some Arizona legislator is calling Obama "De Fuhrer" on Facebook.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
You know what I'm tired of? The "let's put a hitler stache on a current world leader and make a great point". I say Queen Elizabeth today with, you guessed it, a hitlerstache. Like.... What? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I've got nothing to add.

• Locked thread