Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Even if they hold off introducing Bloodraven until episode 10, they still have the problem that Bran's story is at least a season ahead of everyone else's, book-wise. Will be interesting to see where they take it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

webmeister posted:

Even if they hold off introducing Bloodraven until episode 10, they still have the problem that Bran's story is at least a season ahead of everyone else's, book-wise. Will be interesting to see where they take it!

I'm still holding out that they're speeding up his story line to use his weirwood visions to fill in for the lack of "flashbacks" and that we'll actually get some of the stuff they've missed because of that.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

In It For The Tank posted:

I disagree. We've met several warlocks and sorcerers and what not throughout the series, yet I can't think of any other who displays the ability to sustain themselves just through magic. Even Moqorro, who is arguably more powerful than Melisandre, needs to rest all day after tending to his night fires.

In the show wasn't she surprised that Beric was resurrected? Maybe I'm misremembering.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
It's on YouTube and it seems like it's the power of Thoros, not the power of her god that she is surprised by.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

chellesandcheese posted:

I'm still holding out that they're speeding up his story line to use his weirwood visions to fill in for the lack of "flashbacks" and that we'll actually get some of the stuff they've missed because of that.

I doubt they're going to hire Sean Bean back just to do some Tower Of Joy flashbacks if that's what you mean. I guess maybe they could use a different actor since Robert's Rebellion is some time in the past.

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

I doubt they're going to hire Sean Bean back just to do some Tower Of Joy flashbacks if that's what you mean. I guess maybe they could use a different actor since Robert's Rebellion is some time in the past.

He was in Bran's dream last season. I don't think they're against bringing him back for stuff like that if they need to.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

chellesandcheese posted:

He was in Bran's dream last season. I don't think they're against bringing him back for stuff like that if they need to.

That was reused footage from season 1.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

TOOT BOOT posted:

Sean Bean did the pilot for an Ashley Judd network series and his next film is about zombie Nazis with Tom Savini. It wouldn't exactly take Robert Downey Jr. money to bring him back for a scene or two, though I doubt they'll go in that direction.

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

timp posted:

That was reused footage from season 1.

If it was, it was green screened and edited together because Bran was obviously older in that scene than he was in the original. I mean, it's definitely possible, but it seems just as likely they brought him in to film a scene or two.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

chellesandcheese posted:

If it was, it was green screened and edited together because Bran was obviously older in that scene than he was in the original. I mean, it's definitely possible, but it seems just as likely they brought him in to film a scene or two.

Do you have a screenshot? The only dream I recall that takes place in the past is the one where he's firing the arrow with Jon and Robb, and your'e right Bran is much taller in the dream than he was in the original dream. But I don't remember anything but Ned's voice in that dream.

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

rypakal posted:

Do you have a screenshot? The only dream I recall that takes place in the past is the one where he's firing the arrow with Jon and Robb, and your'e right Bran is much taller in the dream than he was in the original dream. But I don't remember anything but Ned's voice in that dream.

I don't, I just remember being surprised that Ned was in the dream since, you know...he was dead and I figured they wouldn't bring him back. I swear he was actually in it but it could be a memory error.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
No Ned, just his voice.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Ned's voice is, Ned isn't. Movie magic at work chellesandcheese.

efb. Everytime.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Moving up Bran's plotline is a good idea. There's a lot of stretch in "Bran sits around having weird loving visions", and he's so self-contained that they can keep him there as long as they need to.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Has there been any news regarding Coldhands and whether or not he'll be in the show? I suppose he could be cut out but then I don't know how Bran and co. would find their way to Bloodraven. I imagine we will see him otherwise the random flock of ravens that appeared near Sam and Gilly would have been unnecessary.

Coldhands as portrayed by Jack Gleeson.

lifts cats over head fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 17, 2013

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

lifts cats over head posted:

Has there been any news regarding Coldhands and whether or not he'll be in the show? I suppose he could be cut out but then I don't know how Bran and co. would find their way to Bloodraven. I imagine we will see him otherwise the random flock of ravens that appeared near Sam and Gilly would have been unnecessary.

Coldhands as portrayed by Jack Gleeson.

Maybe Jojen and the random flock of ravens lead them

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Beeez posted:

Wow, I didn't even think about the fact that there are audio commentaries on the DVDs. Those must be interesting.

This is an old post, but I have to recommend the commentaries, because they are absolutely excellent. Especially if you're listening to one with Lena Headey, because she is gloriously and adorably foul-mouthed. The Blackwater commentary with her, Peter Dinklage, and the director is sublime.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

This is an old post, but I have to recommend the commentaries, because they are absolutely excellent. Especially if you're listening to one with Lena Headey, because she is gloriously and adorably foul-mouthed. The Blackwater commentary with her, Peter Dinklage, and the director is sublime.
Whichever Season 1 one she does with Mark Addy is amazing too. They're so affectionate! Hearing them just having a wonderful time hanging out with each other while on-screen Cersei and Robert are having that amazing "how long can hate hold a kingdom together" scene is extremely trippy.

Oh, and Liam Cunningham and Carice van Houten are hilarious together, especially when they're talking about the prosthetic Carice wore for her full-frontal pregnancy scene, and how that led to Liam inadvertently feeling up her actual breasts.

And of course there's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REasBBiJm00

Basically listen to the goddamn commentaries.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 17, 2013

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

Whichever Season 1 one she does with Mark Addy is amazing too. They're so affectionate! Hearing them just having a wonderful time hanging out with each other while on-screen Cersei and Robert are having that amazing "how long can hate hold a kingdom together" scene is extremely trippy.

I believe that episode's commentary also contained one of the Dany + Drogo rape scenes, which all the commentators watch in silence.

A few seconds after the scene cuts, Mark Addy says "Well...not really too much you can say about that." Cracked me up for some reason, really diffused the tension.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Oh, and Liam Cunningham and Carice van Houten are hilarious together, especially when they're talking about the prosthetic Carice wore for her full-frontal pregnancy scene, and how that led to Liam inadvertently feeling up her actual breasts.

And of course there's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REasBBiJm00

Basically listen to the goddamn commentaries.

I can't watch youtube on the computer I'm currently at but I'm going to guess that's the Stark kids singing the intro theme. If it's not, well it should be.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I can't watch youtube on the computer I'm currently at but I'm going to guess that's the Stark kids singing the intro theme. If it's not, well it should be.
Of course it goddamn well is.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
This might be incentive enough to buy the DVDs, then.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

When I'm watching the show I either sing the kids version, or the Sean Bean Dies version from Boars, Gore and Swords.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Beeez posted:

This might be incentive enough to buy the DVDs, then.

That and Sophie and Maisie changing the subject as fast as possible when the episode's one titty scene comes on.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Oh god, yes, those two play off each other wonderfully.

Here, as a reference for people when we talk about commentaries, with my personal recommendations bolded:

S1:
"Winter is Coming": Commentary by producers/writers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.
"The Kingsroad": Commentary by actors Lena Headey, Mark Addy and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.
"Lord Snow": Commentary by actors Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams and Isaac Hempstead-Wright.

"Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things": Commentary by actor Kit Harington and writer Bryan Cogman.
"A Golden Crown": Commentary by actors Peter Dinklage, Harry Lloyd and Emilia Clarke, and director Daniel Minahan.
"The Pointy End": Commentary by writer/producer/consultant George R.R. Martin.
"Fire and Blood": Commentary by producers/writers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss and director Alan Taylor.

S2:
"The North Remembers": Commentary by producers/writers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.
"The Night Lands": Commentary by actors Alfie Allen and Gemma Whelan.
"What is Dead May Never Die": Commentary by writer Bryan Cogman and director Alik Sakharov.
"What is Dead May Never Die": Second commentary track by Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams and Isaac Hempstead-Wright.
"Garden of Bones": Commentary by actors Carice Van Houten and Liam Cunningham.
"The Old Gods and the New": Commentary by actors Kit Harington and Rose Leslie, and writer Vanessa Taylor.
"A Man Without Honor": Commentary by producers/writers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.
"The Prince of Winterfell": Commentary by actors Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Michelle Fairley.
"Blackwater": Commentary by writer/producer George R.R. Martin.
"Blackwater": Commentary by actors Peter Dinklage and Lena Headey and director Neil Marshall.
"Valar Morghulis": Commentary by Rainer Gombos and Steve Kullback of the visual effects team.
"Valar Morghulis": Commentary by actor Emilia Clarke and director Alan Taylor.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Jedit posted:

That and Sophie and Maisie changing the subject as fast as possible when the episode's one titty scene comes on.

That's the disturbing part, these commentaries confirm the kid actors have seen the show.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Beeez posted:

That's the disturbing part, these commentaries confirm the kid actors have seen the show.

Oh, please. I saw R-rated stuff when I was 10 or 11. I'm sure Maisie, Sophie, and Isaac are all old enough to handle the show.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Apoplexy posted:

Oh, please. I saw R-rated stuff when I was 10 or 11. I'm sure Maisie, Sophie, and Isaac are all old enough to handle the show.

There's a bit of difference between watching a random R-rated movie and seeing your coworker get plowed. As a former teenager myself, I can't imagine how Issac can look anyone in the eyes on set.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 17, 2013

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Irish Joe posted:

There's a bit of difference between watching a random R-rated movie and seeing your coworker get plowed. As a former teenager myself, I can't imagine how Issac can look anyone in the eyes on set.

There's a huge difference between watching an actor in a scene pretending to have sex and watching someone actually have sex.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

The only person he works with who got naked is Natalia Tena, and she only did nudity.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
You mean apart from the crucial scene in the first episode where he gets thrown out of a loving tower?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mortabis posted:

You mean apart from the crucial scene in the first episode where he gets thrown out of a loving tower?

Perhaps you missed the bit where we were talking about actors Isaac Hempstead-Smith has to work with.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

There were all the scenes with Alfie Allen after seeing him and Roz in season 1.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

BrooklynBruiser posted:

S2:
"Blackwater": Commentary by actors Peter Dinklage and Lena Headey and director Neil Marshall.

Oh, Lena. I saw her on Conan talk about how much everyone hates her because of how bad Cersei is, but the commentary is hilarious.

The first shot of Cersei in the episode
Peter: "Oh, who's that?"
Lena: "That's horseface."

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

This show's got some more perverse elements than your standard R-rated movie.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Apoplexy posted:

It's not really embarassing for kids of that age to watch R rated stuff per se. It's embarassing for them to watch it with their parents, or other people who aren't friends of similar age.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Mortabis posted:

The scene which is clearly shot in a way where Isaac never saw the actors pretending to have sex and, in fact, only interacts with Coster-Waldau?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

There were all the scenes with Alfie Allen after seeing him and Roz in season 1.

Huh. Anyway, it's a safe bet that the kids only got to watch the episode they were commenting on. It was the episode with the least nudity and no actual sex scenes.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The scene which is clearly shot in a way where Isaac never saw the actors pretending to have sex and, in fact, only interacts with Coster-Waldau?

Fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I had to look it up, because I knew at least Sophie was at the age where we can really stop talking about this, but Isaac is 14 now and Maisie is 16. They're totally fine to be watching the show they're acting in.

• Locked thread