Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
So what effects do dark nodes have in TC4? The few that I've found have had shitloads of aspects so I'd like to bring them back to my lab for refilling but I'm curious if that's going to gently caress me with wisps or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
In my experience, they spawn zombies near them.

Edit: Okay, maybe not. They DO seem to make terrain around them darker, though.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 22, 2013

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Just getting back into playing after a long break...I don't usually mess around with mods much, but I'm just wondering, can anyone point me to a good, balanced mod that either 1.) does something more interesting with the underground, or even better, 2.) makes it so that there's less underground to have to deal with in the first place?

Maybe I'm weird but I just get so sick of not being able to dig even a basement for a moderate sized house without hitting some giant sprawling cave network that goes on forever. Or I keep finding these little overhangs or holes in the ground which I think can be modified into cozy little hobbit holes, but dig two tiles in and nope, giant sprawling cave network. I just wish discovering a cavern could be something interesting, instead of inevitable because literally the entire world is more or less hollow...

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Zoe posted:

I don't usually mess around with mods much, but I'm just wondering, can anyone point me to a good, balanced mod that either 1.) does something more interesting with the underground

Underground Biomes is pretty neat. The most noticable thing it does is add a whole bunch of alternate stone types (gneiss, rhyolite, etc.) that all have their own corresponding cobble.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Zoe posted:

can anyone point me to a good, balanced mod that either 1.) does something more interesting with the underground,

Still waiting for a Journey to the Center of the Earth style modpack. Some day!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

SamDabbers posted:

Some errors are easily fixable in config files. Can you pastebin them?

Hm just tried it again and it managed to work this time. Looked like all the ores generated correctly and dimensional doors spawned which is nice.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So is there an item similar to a Brain in a Jar in Thaumcraft 4? It seems a same to let all the Infernal Furnace's exp go to waste.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

McFrugal posted:

So is there an item similar to a Brain in a Jar in Thaumcraft 4? It seems a same to let all the Infernal Furnace's exp go to waste.

Brain in a Jar still exists and does the same thing, though it's made differently. (Pretty sure it's in Thaum 4. Might be Thaumic Tinkerer for Thaum 4.)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

McFrugal posted:

It exists, but it's now a Lost Research, so you need knowledge fragments.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Serifina posted:

It exists, but it's now a Lost Research, so you need knowledge fragments.

Dang. Guess I better get exploring!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Good news! Thaumcraft 4.0.3 fixed that and its fresh out of the oven.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Shadowmorn posted:

Good news! Thaumcraft 4.0.3 fixed that and its fresh out of the oven.

Welp, that goes on the update stack!

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007
Luddite pack is a goon pack isn't it?

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/luddite-4.190430

If so Can I grab a server zip, I'm happy enough to test it if its not ready for release.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gorfob posted:

Luddite pack is a goon pack isn't it?

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/luddite-4.190430

If so Can I grab a server zip, I'm happy enough to test it if its not ready for release.

It's currently being worked on, the server is down because Fondue is trying to figure out whats causing it to crash all the time so I'd wait a little while for them to finish a stable pack.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So I made myself a little compatibility module for Custom Ore Generation to work with Applied Energistics. (I'm on 1.6.2.) It works, but...I'm stuck using the blockID number seeing as neither I, nor someone else on the minecraft forums, can figure out how to get it to work with the 'blockWorld'/'appeng.blockWorld' as listed in AE's config file, nor could I get it to work with 'blkQuartzOre' as inside AE itself. (I took a peek inside the jar with a decompiler.)

I basically copy/pasted over the config from the IC2 copper generation and changed IDs and biome (more common or only in deserts). If anyone's interested, the file is here. If you've had to change ID numbers for AE blocks, you'll need to figure out what your certus quartz ore ID is and replace all instances of "902".

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Would anybody mind throwing up a copy of Thaumcraft v4.0.3? The server Azanor's hosting it on has been making GBS threads itself for a while and I keep getting "internal server error" errors.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's working again.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 23, 2013

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Would anybody mind throwing up a copy of Thaumcraft v4.0.3? The server Azanor's hosting it on has been making GBS threads itself for a while and I keep getting "internal server error" errors.

Got a good place to upload it to? I don't want to link directly to my dropbox - that's for both my Minecraft players and my D&D players and I don't want it getting slammed.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Serifina posted:

Got a good place to upload it to? I don't want to link directly to my dropbox - that's for both my Minecraft players and my D&D players and I don't want it getting slammed.

Thanks for the offer! Fortunately it looks like the original file host is working again. That was a harrowing hour!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Thanks for the offer! Fortunately it looks like the original file host is working again. That was a harrowing hour!

Ah, good, no worries, then. :)

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
I haven't played Minecraft in months. I was wanting to throw together a custom mod pack for my friends and I to play, but it looks as if most of the major mods are still all over the place in terms of what Minecraft and/or Forge versions they need, despite 1.6 having been out for months. I was essentially wanting to use Millenaire (know it's a resource hog, but I was going to disable village generation and just spawn in a couple of villages for us to mess with), Dimensional Doors, Biomes'O'Plenty, Twilight Forest, Tinker's Construct, and the standard utility mods like Treecapitator and a minimap. Is this even possible, or should I decide on a different group of mods?

My friends are more interested in expanding the scope of the game instead of convoluted systems like Thaumcraft or any tech stuff more complex than AE/MFR/TE. What are the best current mods for dungeon delving and world variety? From what I can tell, it looks like using a modified version of Hexxit may be the best option for now.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Preem Palver posted:

I haven't played Minecraft in months. I was wanting to throw together a custom mod pack for my friends and I to play, but it looks as if most of the major mods are still all over the place in terms of what Minecraft and/or Forge versions they need, despite 1.6 having been out for months. I was essentially wanting to use Millenaire (know it's a resource hog, but I was going to disable village generation and just spawn in a couple of villages for us to mess with), Dimensional Doors, Biomes'O'Plenty, Twilight Forest, Tinker's Construct, and the standard utility mods like Treecapitator and a minimap. Is this even possible, or should I decide on a different group of mods?

For the record, if you want to use Dim Doors, you'll have to be on 1.5.2 - it has not yet been updated. I would honestly advise just leaving it behind for now, though, and going with 1.6.4. For deciding which Forge to use, generally go with whatever the Latest or Recommended is (I usually go with Latest, frankly, unless I know of bugs/instability in that version). If you don't want to do that, figure out which mod has the "newest" version requirement, and use that - 99.9% of the time, that will work for all of them.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So last time I asked things were still in a very transitional state, but with more updates to 1.6 I figured I'd ask again: Any 1.6 modpacks, ideally (but not necessarily) on the Technic Platform with the new Thaumcraft and maybe some other fun things? I found a few magic-heavy packs but despite their advertising none were on the new Thaumcraft version.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
Phondeux has a pack built around Thaumcraft called Luddite 4. He also hosts a server for it if you wanted to play with some goons as well.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

So last time I asked things were still in a very transitional state, but with more updates to 1.6 I figured I'd ask again: Any 1.6 modpacks, ideally (but not necessarily) on the Technic Platform with the new Thaumcraft and maybe some other fun things? I found a few magic-heavy packs but despite their advertising none were on the new Thaumcraft version.

I'm putting one together right now, here: http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/progress.12299

It's mostly tech/exploration stuff, but there's some magic in there as well, including TC4. I'm still tweaking some things, and I'll be adding a few mods once they get into 1.6 (most notably, TE), so it won't be super-stable for a little bit.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Cerevisiae posted:

Phondeux has a pack built around Thaumcraft called Luddite 4. He also hosts a server for it if you wanted to play with some goons as well.

I'm beginning to think it's stable and will post something official here about the pack on Friday if it stays that way.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Taffer posted:

I'm putting one together right now, here: http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/progress.12299

It's mostly tech/exploration stuff, but there's some magic in there as well, including TC4. I'm still tweaking some things, and I'll be adding a few mods once they get into 1.6 (most notably, TE), so it won't be super-stable for a little bit.

So I was looking over the mod list for this pack and it seems like you have a lot of mod overlap. Is this intentional or have the mods diverged since I last played?

For instance last I new Project Red contained only a strictly inferior version of MFRs RedNet and Translocator contained only less server friendly tesseracts.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 24, 2013

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

fondue posted:

I'm beginning to think it's stable and will post something official here about the pack on Friday if it stays that way.

I've been playing recently and when you yanked out the coral mod I was forced to move from my little workshop on the shores of a lake. The pockets of air that now exist at the bottom is enough to spawn hostile mobs, which then float to the surface like they were Deep Ones. It's not fun to have skeletons at all hours just bobbing about nearby, waiting for me to come to my farm and then start sniping. Or creepers. Or zombies coming up to knock on my door.

Infernal mobs combined with that just made it worse. As I was in the process of moving everything out to a nice hobbit hill I found nearby, I wasn't caring too much about my health or food levels. Thus as I opened the door and walked out I was smote by a bolt of lightning that killed me instantly. Since it set me on fire the items I was carrying (mostly Tinker's patterns and casts) were all destroyed too.

I'm not blaming your mod pack at all for this. My current place is a hell of a lot more nicer/spacious to boot!

Oh, also heads up trying to see spawners/Nether portal with your Thaumometer seems to crash the game.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Hagop posted:

So I was looking over the mod list for this pack and it seems like you have a lot of mod overlap. Is this intentional or have the mods diverged since I last played?

For instance last I new Project Red contained only a strictly inferior version of MFRs RedNet and Translocator contained only less server friendly tesseracts.

Translocators are something else entirely (and useful as hell). I agree about Project Red, tough - I haven't been terribly impressed and last I heard it was still pretty drat buggy.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Updated my TFC pack now that 1.6 is supported on the technic platform!

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/terrafirmacraft.1594

thevortex-
Apr 12, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Updated my TFC pack now that 1.6 is supported on the technic platform!

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/terrafirmacraft.1594

are your configs in sync with the defaults from terrafirmacraft.com ? I run a server for TFC and i would love to recommend this pack to my players who don't want to go through the hassle of profile management in the vanilla MC :D

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I haven't messed with any configs, just chucked in minimap, invtweaks and optifine. If optifine turns out to be too much of a hassle I can take it out but I find the multi-core rendering just too much of a benefit.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Serifina posted:

Translocators are something else entirely (and useful as hell). I agree about Project Red, tough - I haven't been terribly impressed and last I heard it was still pretty drat buggy.

Yep I watched the spot light on them they are 100% different than I thought they were. Kinda wish I could just get the crafting grid anywhere part without the rest of it thought.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hagop posted:

Yeah project red is mostly redundant, I may end up removing it, I mainly just wanted to try it out. The only things I added it for are the volcano's and convenient circuits, RedNet is absolutely more powerful, but sometimes discrete circuits are nice. If BoP added real volcano's I'd ditch Project Red.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
1.7 is dropping tomorrow, 15 CEST

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/393400494405980160

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Shukaro posted:

1.7 is dropping tomorrow, 15 CEST
I just got all my mods working together properly, so of course it is.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

tooterfish posted:

I just got all my mods working together properly, so of course it is.

You're not going to have any imperative to upgrade any time soon; the huge refactor of the code in 1.7 means mods won't be updating for quite some time. If modded is how you primarily play MC, 1.6 is going to be the version du jour for the foreseeable future.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I thought the huge refactor in 1.6 was what delayed mods, you're telling me this is going to be even worse?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I tend to play in spurts anyway, I'll probably just leave it until something interesting comes out for 1.7.

Can't remember the last time I played the base game.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Vib Rib posted:

I thought the huge refactor in 1.6 was what delayed mods, you're telling me this is going to be even worse?

What I know for sure is that on August 29th, Grum tweeted:

grum's twitter posted:

I think I just did the biggest refactor in Minecraft history, 222 commits, 379 files changed, 25023 lines of diffs. Breaks all the things!

I'm pretty sure that referred to a 1.7 change. CovertJaguar bitched about it and everything, but I can't find that right now. Maybe it was in reply to the tweet, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Fortis posted:

What I know for sure is that on August 29th, Grum tweeted:

I'm pretty sure that referred to a 1.7 change. CovertJaguar bitched about it and everything, but I can't find that right now. Maybe it was in reply to the tweet, though.

No you are correct, that is for 1.7, that was posted a little before the first 1.7 snapshot.

On their main blog post for 1.7.1 it states "It feels like we’ve been working on this for a year now, with more than half a million lines of code changed over 1,104 commits we’ve been working extremely hard on this update".

1.7 has beat the poo poo out of the code. Let us ignore that a good part of the lighting and rendering engine was rewritten from scratch, but the netcode (now using Netty) and the sound engine (what little of one there was, hey now they have actual sound events!) being completely rewritten from scratch, a huge deal of the game was tinkered around with in what the devs heavily pushed as "prep work for API integration", a lot of this also had the side benefit of making command blocks loving insane in what they are able to pull off.

So yeah, 1.7 might just be the largest hurdle modders will have had to get over, however the game so very much needed these improvements, clean ups and rewrites.

I got a strong feeling that a lot of mods that were on the verge of being in the graveyard are going to be firmly put into the ground if they haven't updated by now.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 24, 2013

• Locked thread