Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Whoah, that's some good info guys!

I've got an air blub/rocket thingy already, I might give that a go after I read the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

xzzy posted:

Even a professional can gently caress it up, I've had a friend get a free body upgrade because the shop he gave his camera to hosed it up to the point the repair bill was bigger than the worth of the camera.

So yeah, be careful. :v:

That sounds like a plus to me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bob Mundon posted:

That sounds like a plus to me.

Not if you gently caress up your own sensor. If someone else does, yep, great.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

the_lion posted:

Whoah, that's some good info guys!

I've got an air blub/rocket thingy already, I might give that a go after I read the link.

Hopefully that'll do it. If you do a lot of shooting with different lenses in nasty outdoor conditions, you're bound to accumulate a considerable amount of dust every few thousand shots, no matter how careful you are. A lot of dust can be removed with a rocket blower, but you'll sometimes get dust that possibly has some oily residue or something in it which basically glues it onto the low pass filter in front of the sensor (pollen? I have no idea).

After a massive dust buildup in my 6D I ordered some of those Sensor Swabs pre-loaded with Eclipse. I'm pretty comfortable with the process now and clean the low pass filter every month or two. More often if it's a period of heavy shooting. A 12 pack of those swabs on Amazon is way cheaper than even a single cleaning at the local camera shop.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

Inf posted:

After a massive dust buildup in my 6D I ordered some of those Sensor Swabs pre-loaded with Eclipse. I'm pretty comfortable with the process now and clean the low pass filter every month or two. More often if it's a period of heavy shooting. A 12 pack of those swabs on Amazon is way cheaper than even a single cleaning at the local camera shop.

http://www.amazon.com/Sensor-Swab-Plus-Type-Eclipse/dp/B001BCFF2E/ref=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1382334826&sr=1-2[url]

Sensor swabs seem really expensive to me. I've been using the same 100 count of cotton swabs and a bottle of Eclipse for a couple years.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I tried the rocket, and after I did I looked at the mirror. I'm guessing this is it: there is either a mirror hit mark or something stuck to the mirror. A small line. It looks more like a hit to me, I could be wrong.

I'm not sure how exactly I got it- I'm mostly using Canon lenses and it appeared before I started using manual m42 lenses.

I'm a bit nervous about it, might take it to a camera repair shop.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
If the mirror functions fine (ie goes up and down without getting stuck) and the mark doesn't inhibit your view through the viewfinder, you're probably ok. I can't imagine it would be worth the expense to have that fixed unless it's causing noticeable problems. Just be careful putting lenses on there, especially old MF lenses that may or may not stick into the mirror box. Some of those m42's might seem fine until you focus them out to infinity.

E: Actually, on second thought check carefully to make sure the mirror doesn't have a crack in it. The pic makes it look like a scuff but if there is crack, it might break into the mirror box at some point. Scuff is probably no worries but a crack could be problematic.

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 21, 2013

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

A belated thanks to those that confirmed the death of my 40d. I replaced it with another and went out shooting again this past weekend. I think the new body is fine, but the 70-200 I got from KEH may have some issues.

After my camera trouble, I shot some of the Baltimore marathon with my trusty 10d and the 70-200 and noticed some oddness in the shots that I chalked up to me being bad at panning (something that is all too true). The oddness looks like this:

Gallery with full size
The above was shot with IS Mode 2

Now, this past weekend, I was at the zoo and pretty much left the lens in IS mode 1. I got shots that looked like this:

Gallery with full size

This shot was taken, just now, on a tripod with the IS disabled, mirror lockup, 2 second delay

Does it look to anyone else as though the IS is misbehaving, or something is out of alignment? I am open to the possibility that this is user error - if that is the case, what am I doing wrong?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

That looks an awful lot like what my 100L was doing when the focusing rail broke. Can you take clear shots at all focal lengths without the IS?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That looks like serious centering error (especially off-center).

Try to shoot a newspaper inside, it'll be pretty obvious.

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Try to shoot a newspaper inside, it'll be pretty obvious.

I will try this later tonight...

I have heard good things about KEH's customer service. Has anyone had to use it?

mes
Apr 28, 2006

jsmith114 posted:

I will try this later tonight...

I have heard good things about KEH's customer service. Has anyone had to use it?

KEH is pretty good at customer service, give them a call and they'll hook you up with a shipping label, turn around time is a day or two when it arrives at KEH.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

mrlego posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Sensor-Swab-Plus-Type-Eclipse/dp/B001BCFF2E/ref=sr_1_2?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1382334826&sr=1-2[url]

Sensor swabs seem really expensive to me. I've been using the same 100 count of cotton swabs and a bottle of Eclipse for a couple years.

I didn't want to dick around getting a feel for how much Eclipse is too much/not enough, especially after seeing other people mention that using too much can leave a dry residue upon evaporation, and not using enough can possibly make things worse by smearing stuff around.

Also, the pre-packaged swabs are the correct width for the low pass filter, so a single back and forth swipe is all that is necessary. No staring at the sensor and doing spot cleanings for things I may not even be able to see from the front. By "cotton swabs" do you mean just regular... cotton swabs? I hope you mean the dry version of the flat lint-free, non-abrasive sensor swabs. Regular cotton swabs are the polar opposite of lint free, and aren't exactly non-abrasive -- I would never use them to clean ANY camera related surface, let alone the low pass filter in a digital camera. That just seems like a terrible, terrible idea.

All things considered, the pre-moistened sensor swabs work very well, and a few dollars every month or so is nothing compared to pretty much every other photography expense.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.
They are the sensor cleaning cotton pads (Pec-Pads I think) that no longer seem to be sold. It is more effort to clean with as each pad has to be wrapped around plastic sensor cleaning stick. I guess I got used to using them from many years ago when cleaning one's own sensor was a new thing. Ten years ago this stuff cost me $30 total. I'll give these new fangled swabs a try.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

mrlego posted:

They are the sensor cleaning cotton pads (Pec-Pads I think) that no longer seem to be sold. It is more effort to clean with as each pad has to be wrapped around plastic sensor cleaning stick. I guess I got used to using them from many years ago when cleaning one's own sensor was a new thing. Ten years ago this stuff cost me $30 total. I'll give these new fangled swabs a try.

You can still get pec-pads, I use them in my lab to clean slides and poo poo. They are not nearly as good for cleaning sensors unless you make a stick to wrap them around though, and you'd still want some eclipse or something to wet them with.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Use Kim Wipes. I use hundreds of them at work. They also get used on silicon wafers and in Canon mfg. I can't really think of anything better.

http://www.amazon.com/Kimtech-Science-KimWipes-Delicate-Wipers/dp/B00F462T3Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382484143&sr=8-1&keywords=kim+wipes

They're cheaper too.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
Hi there fellow Canon users! I have a simple question, currently my gear consist of a 5D MKII and a 60D. I've been using the 5D MKII for about 6 months now and I've noticed that appart from the center point, the focus is a bit tricky when it comes to the other focus points, especially compared with the 60D. Is it because they aren't cross focus points?

And most importantly, is this fixed/improved with the MKIII ?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

yes and yes.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
On that same note, would it be stupid to say that the 6D is a wise choice if you don't care about the better video capabilities ( anti-aliasing filter ) or don't do any sports (I'd be jumping from a MKII) ?

xenilk fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 23, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Advantages of the 5Diii over the 6D:

- Tons more cross-type AF points, altho they're kinda centric-ish.
- Dual card-slot.
- Top cover ain't fiberglass.
- 100% VF coverage.
- Higher burst rate.

Advantages of the 6D over the 5Diii:

- Slightly better high ISO performance.
- Wifi and GPS.
- Focusing screen can be changed (I figure it can be on the 5Diii, too, but it'd involve a screwdriver, and there are no first party screens).
- Smaller and lighter.

--ninja edit: The 6D is essentially a way improved 5Dii.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

- Dual card-slot.
- 100% VF coverage.
- Higher burst rate.

- Wifi and GPS.
- Focusing screen can be changed (I figure it can be on the 5Diii, too, but it'd involve a screwdriver, and there are no first party screens).
- Smaller and lighter.

But for someone who does no video footage and no sports, is it worth pitching ~2500$ more?

Only downside I see is no dual card slot and having a non-fiberglass cover? I think I can live with non 100% VF (I mean MKII has 96%)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

xenilk posted:

But for someone who does no video footage and no sports, is it worth pitching ~2500$ more?

Only downside I see is no dual card slot and having a non-fiberglass cover? I think I can live with non 100% VF (I mean MKII has 96%)

As I understand it, the 6D autofocus system is much closer to that of the 5Dii than to that of the 5Diii. Since you don't care about video and already own a 5Dii, don't bother getting a 6D.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Combat Pretzel posted:

- Dual card-slot.
- 100% VF coverage.
- Higher burst rate.

- Wifi and GPS.
- Smaller and lighter.

I know the 5DIII is better, but to me, the 6D sounds better.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

xenilk posted:

The 5Dmk3 is not $2500 more.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

1st AD posted:

The 5Dmk3 is not $2500 more.

My bad, 1900$ for the 6D compared to 3500$ for the 5DMKII ... so about 1600$ difference (almost twice the price). Edit: taken from a quick B&H search, I'm sure you could argue about it but you get a grasp of the price difference.

xenilk fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 23, 2013

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't know about "way" improved. The sensor has better low light performance but the AF is the same and the body is smaller, made of plastic and it has a simplified control scheme. If it were me, I wouldn't go through the effort to switch from the mkii to the 6d unless I really needed the bump in low light performance.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Plus you lose 1/8000, and get a slower flash sync, if those things matter to you at all.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's a new OS X Canon-compatible shutter count app on the Mac App Store for $1.99. Assuming it is updated as new models come out, it beats paying EOSCount multiple times.

• Canon EOS-1D X
  • Canon EOS 5D Mark II
  • Canon EOS 5D Mark III
  • Canon EOS 6D
  • Canon EOS 7D
  • Canon EOS 60D
  • Canon EOS 70D
  • Canon EOS 100D / Rebel SL1
  • Canon EOS 600D / Rebel T3i / Kiss X5
  • Canon EOS 650D / Rebel T4i / Kiss X6i
  • Canon EOS 700D / Rebel T5i
  • Canon EOS 1100D / Rebel T3 / Kiss X50
I'll probably buy it when I get home, if I remember. Though I'm a little afraid to know just how little I use my expensive camera equipment. :ohdear:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Mightaswell posted:

Plus you lose 1/8000, and get a slower flash sync, if those things matter to you at all.

Deal breaker. I only shoot wide open on salt flats at noon.

flummox
Jul 17, 2004
I want a shoehorn, the kind with teeth.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I don't know about "way" improved. The sensor has better low light performance but the AF is the same and the body is smaller, made of plastic and it has a simplified control scheme. If it were me, I wouldn't go through the effort to switch from the mkii to the 6d unless I really needed the bump in low light performance.

The 6d's body is magnesium. The top cover is polycarbonate because the wifi won't work in an all-metal body. It feels just as solid as a 5d in any case.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
To be quite honest I've handled the 6D and it doesn't feel any less solid than any 5D model.

What I don't like about it is the fact that it doesn't have the little joystick selector on the back, instead it has a little d-pad thing inside the command dial on the back. It feels really spongy and I don't like using it at all.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

The AF is more sensitive to light. The center point, anyway. Actually, it is the most sensitive of any Canon DSLRs, with -3EV. As such, it is better. And the body is magnesium, the top plate is fiberglass due to WiFi and GPS.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

1st AD posted:

To be quite honest I've handled the 6D and it doesn't feel any less solid than any 5D model.

Having thrown the all-plastic 60D and T3 both onto hard surfaces without ill effect, I don't fully understand this concern.

That said, an attached lens did break two months later.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I thought the plastic DSLRs have a steel frame? That should make them rigid enough.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I ended up buying a used 5DMkiii over the 6D for the AF performance. All those AF points become real useful in AI servo, where it can be hard to keep the subject on center point. I've found it useful for anything moving, such as kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i2_CHhp9Q4

Having watched every 6D video review on youtube, I get the impression the 6D's center point focuses better in low light, but suffers focusing on moving subjects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg_6jSaXGgY
(5:00 for the 6D)

Those factors mattered to me, but it may not matter to everyone.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
Somebody talk me out of buying the EOS M :ohdear: I really like the idea of a mirrorless that I can adapt with all of my existing Canon gear.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
For two hundred bucks for the body off Ebay I would've gone for it myself, but here's how I convinced myself not to: The IQ isn't any better than my old 550D, and although it's nice and small, by the time you attach your EF/EF-S lenses, the overall weight/size saving really insignificant over a normal body:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Where's the bayonet?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I'm more interested in the EOS M for all the cheap FD stuff you can adapt on there. It can focus to infinity unlike EOS-FD right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

Somebody talk me out of buying the EOS M :ohdear: I really like the idea of a mirrorless that I can adapt with all of my existing Canon gear.

Well, I bought one a few months back when it was really cheap (like they are now) and I hardly ever use it. YMMV, of course.