Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I like BetterSnapTool, if that's the sort of window management you're looking for. I don't have it installed currently, but it appears to still have great reviews on the App Store, and it's the same developer as the highly-respected BetterTouchTool.
Yeah, BetterSnapTool is still really good. I use a combo of BetterSnapTool (to resize windows and get them all into consistent places) and Moom (to keep them there or automatically move them around when I change resolutions). Combined with Mission Control and App Exposé, it makes it really easy to manage all your stuff.

Both BetterSnapTool and Moom are paid apps but I find there's a lot of stuff on the App Store that's sub $10 and easily worth the money. If you can find somewhere selling iTunes gift cards for a discount you can effectively get a discount on your App Store purchases as well if the price is bothering you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I've tried using this url, but it's not allowing me to watch youtube. Going to use Chrome until Adobe's update page is working.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
When sharing directions in maps, my iPad that I sold (and removed my iCloud account from, erased and restored weeks ago) is showing up as a sharing option. Is there somewhere else I need to go to deregister the thing from my account?

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 24, 2013

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

ManPortable posted:

Are you talking about this? http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/1p25c6/mavericks_changes_mailapp_behavior_with_gmail/

I'm glad I came across this because otherwise I would have been deleting emails for a long time until I figured out that the delete key was no longer just archiving my emails. It seems you can't have the delete key do anything other than move emails to the trash now.

That's interesting - I wonder if it'll solve my problem too. Anything I move to another folder (eh, "label") both moves there AND reappears in my inbox. On Gmail's end, it has the new label and never loses the old one. Very annoying. Also it has nothing to do with archiving at all so this probably won't help, but I've enabled All Mail and in an hour or two once that absurd loving folder is finished loading 9,500 duplicate copies of my email into Mail, I'll give it a test...

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Mercurius posted:

Both BetterSnapTool and Moom are paid apps but I find there's a lot of stuff on the App Store that's sub $10 and easily worth the money. If you can find somewhere selling iTunes gift cards for a discount you can effectively get a discount on your App Store purchases as well if the price is bothering you.

iSnap is free and works via edge-dragging and/or keyboard shortcuts. Works great in Mavericks too. Only issue is for some reason MS Word ignores it, but other than that I recommend it.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
http://spectacleapp.com/ is a free open source window management app. It's under active development, works well in 10.9, and the only downside is that edge snapping isn't included, just keyboard shortcuts.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm gravitating towards Safari from Chrome primarily due to how snappy Safari is now and how it handles certain things much better like Youtube (gifs still suck for some reason?) but I'm having some issues with addons. Aside from no SALR (:emo:) my addons page is completely blank. I have a bunch of addons installed, but the page shows nothing. I've actually had this issue since Lion, and all the fixes I've found for it have to do with deleting certain com.apple-files which, if I even have them, affect nothing when deleted.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Anyone tried the new iMovie?

It copied (maybe hard-linked?) all my files into a library. Having them all in a library (a la iPhoto) is fine with me, BUT:

I tried to quit after it (seemed to be) finished copying my events into its library, but it threw up a warning saying "Are you sure you want to quit? Tasks that are currently in progress will not be completed." What tasks? There's no activity window, and absolutely nothing anywhere to indicate any "tasks" are ongoing. I waited half an hour but it still claimed "tasks" were happening, so I left it alone...

... And at some point it froze. I force quit, opened it again, and it still warned me on quit that "tasks" are running. Waited a while and it froze again. Got info on it and opted it out of App Nap just in case (hey, there's a sign it was never built against the Mavericks SDK. Nice and up-to-date.) and gave it another whirl but it still freezes after a while.

What are these "tasks"? Is it actually doing anything at all (activity monitor shows it using anywhere from 0 to 15% cpu)? Do other people have this issue?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

I'm gravitating towards Safari from Chrome primarily due to how snappy Safari is now and how it handles certain things much better like Youtube (gifs still suck for some reason?) but I'm having some issues with addons. Aside from no SALR (:emo:) my addons page is completely blank. I have a bunch of addons installed, but the page shows nothing. I've actually had this issue since Lion, and all the fixes I've found for it have to do with deleting certain com.apple-files which, if I even have them, affect nothing when deleted.

Try nuking the ~/Library/Safari/Extensions/ folder and reinstalling your extensions. If that doesn't work, make a backup and then try nuking the entire Safari folder maybe. If that does it you can just copy your bookmarks file back over. And your history if you care about it.

edit: Just looked at my extensions list and noticed that Parallels 9 installed an extension without asking. gently caress YOU PARALLELS. I deliberately delayed upgrading to v9 until customer complaints stopped them from force-installing their Parallels Access poo poo without permission; you think they'd have learned.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 24, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Choadmaster posted:

Try nuking the ~/Library/Safari/Extensions/ folder and reinstalling your extensions. If that doesn't work, make a backup and then try nuking the entire Safari folder maybe. If that does it you can just copy your bookmarks file back over. And your history if you care about it.
I tried both of those before but I guess I could give them a try on Mavericks as well. I've never really used Safari before so it's not like there's much to lose in the way of bookmarks or anything.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Might want to nuke the com.apple.safari folder in ~/Library/Caches/ as well.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Nope. Got rid of the entire Safari folder and the one in Cache, still blank. Tried reinstalling extensions to the cleaned out version and that did nothing. This is quite the pisser.

E: Taking out the com.apple.Safari.Extensions.plist and com.apple.Safari.plist files did nothing either.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 24, 2013

cowtown
Jul 4, 2007

the cow's a friend to me
The new iWork apps no longer support AppleScript. :(

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BobHoward posted:

I also had problems getting 603 but that MacRumors fix is overkill IMO. What worked for me:

1. Delete "Install OS X Mavericks.app" from /Applications (if present).

2. Download from the App Store, but don't use the purchased apps pane. Search for it like you weren't ever in the seed program and download it from there.

My theory: Apple probably uses different App Store application IDs for seed builds and releases. Same name, but different so far as the store is concerned. As soon as they release an OS to the public, they disable seed downloads. So if you're like me and were lazy about moving to 603 because 598 worked, trying to download using 598 and your registered entitlement to the Mavs seed (which is what it knows about in "Purchases") began failing yesterday even though on the 21st it probably would have grabbed the 603 installer.

The end of the ML seed program was smoother because they just gave us App Store redemption codes for the real thing. (yup, it turned out that being in the ML seed program got you free ML)

No dice. I never even checked my purchased tab, I had the issues clicking the banner in the first place. Mavericks was installed via USB flash drive.

Bob Morales posted:

Just saw a fix on MacRumors:

However this fixed it, thanks a ton.

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I like BetterSnapTool, if that's the sort of window management you're looking for. I don't have it installed currently, but it appears to still have great reviews on the App Store, and it's the same developer as the highly-respected BetterTouchTool.

Mercurius posted:

Yeah, BetterSnapTool is still really good. I use a combo of BetterSnapTool (to resize windows and get them all into consistent places) and Moom (to keep them there or automatically move them around when I change resolutions). Combined with Mission Control and App Exposé, it makes it really easy to manage all your stuff.

Thanks guys! BetterSnapTool is exactly what I wanted. It's awesome. And it's only $1.99! Totally worth it. I don't think I even need Moom since I'm using just laptop screen.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Nope. Got rid of the entire Safari folder and the one in Cache, still blank. Tried reinstalling extensions to the cleaned out version and that did nothing. This is quite the pisser.

E: Taking out the com.apple.Safari.Extensions.plist and com.apple.Safari.plist files did nothing either.

How strange. Personally, I'd nuke every cache imaginable (you can use MCC - it isn't free but demo mode will do it - and do a "deep cleaning") and then repair permissions. That's always my go-to last resort option. It can fix weird behavior now and then.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

I wonder if it'll solve my problem too. Anything I move to another folder (eh, "label") both moves there AND reappears in my inbox. On Gmail's end, it has the new label and never loses the old one. Very annoying.

Well, strangely enough making the All Mail label visible in IMAP seems to allow me to move emails from one folder to another now. Either that or the fact that I got rid of the [Gmail] path prefix did it (I did both at the same time, oops).

Thanks ManPortable, for pointing me to a workaround for that annoying bug.

Edit: God drat it. I almost praised Mail's improved handling of "All Mail", in that it no longer counts duplicates in "All Mail" in the unread count. But I just tried to search my email, and 50% of the results are marked as coming from "All Mail", even though I know all of my emails are filed into specific folders (or have specific labels, if you prefer). It's smart enough to filter out the duplicates from search; why not return the result that has more specific information attached to it? loving hell. I'm glad I use search infrequently.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 24, 2013

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Mavericks seems to have done something to the fan control on my 2013 Air.

Prior to installing Mavericks yesterday I could play Civ5 on low settings without any issues. Unless the entire screen was filled with units, or I zoomed out to see the entire map, the fan wouldn't be audible. I was also able to switch windows to Chrome and have Civ sitting in the background without any issue. Since installing Mavericks the fan is audible within a couple of turns of starting a new game (few units, barely any map visible) and whenever I switch windows it goes into full jet-engine mode. Everything else is the same as it was prior to installing Mavericks.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

You can't see the scrollbar but I've installed both of these updates like 50 loving times

I guess what i need to do is either go get my ML USB stick and start over. Or go buy a rMBP at Best Buy

I'm fixed. Almost.

I changed the version number in the plist to 1.8 and I was able to click on 'Download' in the App Store for Mavericks. But it said I need to have the 1.1 SSD firmware installed. gently caress!

I tried internet recovery. Which would start up fine, but then give me the message that I needed to install Internet recovery. gently caress!

I tried making another user. No dice.

Went to my ex's house to get my ML USB stick. Re-installed ML. Then I had to download the 10.8.5 update. Then I had to download the SSD 1.1 update and it installed, and actually did the update process when I rebooted (the whole gray screen with the progress bar). Success!

Then I downloaded Mavericks from the app store and installed it. Had to run it overnight since my parents have slow rear end AT&T DSL. I finished up the install this morning and it was stuck on 'Setting up your Mac' for about 5 minutes and I had to go to work so I left.

If it's still hosed when I get home I'm just going over to the Best Buy.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Why the hell are widgets still a thing in mavericks? Anything I can find on apple's website just looks horrible as it probably hasn't been updated since snow leopard

I just want something that shows my disk space and doesn't look like poo poo, dammit :mad:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I use iStat Nano for temperature monitoring but it has pretty much every other monitoring option going from disk space to network speeds, processor usage, battery etc.

E: I do agree they could update all of them at this point.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

twoot posted:

Mavericks seems to have done something to the fan control on my 2013 Air.

Probably not, because OS X doesn't control the fans directly. That's done by the SMC (System Management Controller), a chip on every Intel Mac's motherboard which runs all the vital heartbeat functions. It uses a feedback loop with the computer's temperature sensors to determine how fast to run the fans, so increased fan noise implies higher temps implies higher power use.

Mavericks is a very power focused release, but some of the rules for applications have changed, and it's easy to imagine apps which were already trying to do the right thing getting faked out by some of the new behaviors. Civ 5 probably tries to cap its own frame rate, running faster in the foreground than in the background. If that code is now hitting a bug when you tab out, and the failure path behavior is no frame rate cap whatsoever, that would explain why your fan's going nuts.

That's guesswork, but if something like that is responsible, you may actually need a Civ 5 patch to fix it. Could be either party's fault, though.

You could also try a SMC reset, since it can't hurt. You can search for how to do this on Apple's website.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

twoot posted:

whenever I switch windows it goes into full jet-engine mode.

Some apps poo poo themselves about Mavericks' power management changes, as others have said. If you select the app and choose "get info" there should be a checkbox to disable App Nap. One of my work applications started behaving with that box checked, so it may help here.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Just upgraded yesterday. Mavericks found 20GB of hard drive space :)

Only bug / annoyance is that for whatever reason my Finder scrolling randomly stops working. Googling tells me apparently other people have had this issue as well, with both Finder and Mail. The fix is to restart Finder, but that only works for a short while, so in Finder I've been using the scroll bar manually.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Apple refunded my dumb rear end for the (re)purchase of Pages / Numbers and so now my ancient, CD-based iWork '09 license has been transferred to the app store and updated for free! :iia:

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

dzarc posted:

I'm new to OSX and the one thing I'm struggling with is window management. I know there are about nine apps in the first post. Which one do most of you guys use? They are look pretty similar and I have no idea which is one worth buying.

If you're looking for the Windows-style snap at edges, Moom does it well.

101 posted:

Yep, this is really pissing me off.

I contacted Apple Support and they gave me a list of things to do when I restart my Mac and it didn't help

This is driving me insane, and I think it's affecting trackpad gestures at large - to open mission control I have to physical lift my four fingers and reapply them for any motion to be detected.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Choadmaster posted:

How strange. Personally, I'd nuke every cache imaginable (you can use MCC - it isn't free but demo mode will do it - and do a "deep cleaning") and then repair permissions. That's always my go-to last resort option. It can fix weird behavior now and then.
Well, I finally found a solution that works. Apparently something called SIMBL was the culprit. My extensions are back!

A dude at the Apple Support Communities site posted:

Uninstall SIMBL as follows.

Select Go ▹ Go to Folder… from the Finder menu bar, then enter the following text in the box that opens:

/Library

A folder will open. From that folder, delete all the items listed below. You may be prompted for your administrator login password.

Application Support/SIMBL
LaunchAgents/net.culater.SIMBL.Agent.plist
ScriptingAdditions/SIMBL.osax

Log out and log back in.

Make sure you never reinstall SIMBL. It’s likely to come bundled with another third-party system modfication that depends on it. If you want trouble-free computing, avoid software that makes miraculous changes to other software, especially built-in applications. The only real exception to that rule is Safari extensions, which are mostly safe, and are easy to get rid of when they don’t work. SIMBL and its dependents are not Safari extensions.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Erkenntnis posted:

If you're looking for the Windows-style snap at edges, Moom does it well.

HyperDock does window snapping as well if you are using that.

I'm really loving the new multi monitor stuff but I just noticed that everything appears on my "main" desktop every time. In mountain lion apps would at least start up on the screen they were previously on. Is there some setting i'm missing or do I need to get something else to handle that? Just sort of annoying have to reposition everything in the morning when I get to work.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ManPortable posted:

Are you talking about this? http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/1p25c6/mavericks_changes_mailapp_behavior_with_gmail/

I'm glad I came across this because otherwise I would have been deleting emails for a long time until I figured out that the delete key was no longer just archiving my emails. It seems you can't have the delete key do anything other than move emails to the trash now.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about. Here's a better link and explanation. So I guess it's time to retire Mail completely now and stick to the web version.

Oneiros posted:

Apple refunded my dumb rear end for the (re)purchase of Pages / Numbers and so now my ancient, CD-based iWork '09 license has been transferred to the app store and updated for free! :iia:

Did one of the DVDs that came with my MBP come with Pages, Numbers, etc? I thought it was just Garage Band and I can download that now. If it did come with iWorks, is there a way I can install it with my broken DVD drive? I have access to another MBP so can I somehow just have my MBP use the other MBP's DVD drive wirelessly like the Airs?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Did one of the DVDs that came with my MBP come with Pages, Numbers, etc? I thought it was just Garage Band and I can download that now. If it did come with iWorks, is there a way I can install it with my broken DVD drive? I have access to another MBP so can I somehow just have my MBP use the other MBP's DVD drive wirelessly like the Airs?

Until Tuesday iWork was not included in a new Mac purchase like iLife was; it was always a separate purchase either as a suite on CD or as individual apps in the App Store.

If you do have an iWork CD laying around you can turn on DVD / CD Sharing in the Sharing Preference Pane.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Choadmaster posted:

Your description is lacking in detail so I have no idea where this image you're trying to put into your email is actually starting out. Is it just an image file in Finder? Or is it an image in iPhoto?

In either case the answer is the same anyway. Just drag the drat thing into your email from Finder or iPhoto. Drag and drop is so drat easy I've never considered pressing a button to attach a file so I couldn't even tell you how that works...

That makes the image an attachment, though. I want it inline (as in mixed with the text).

Previously I would click "Picture" and it would open Finder and let me pick an image. Now it opens this iPhoto thing and the "iPhoto Preview" that pops up doesn't show any of my images that have been moved into iPhoto (which I don't want to ever have to do anyway).

Fake Edit: All of a sudden my "Photo from File" is no longer greyed out. I should've mentioned that, the second option when I click "Picture" was Photo from File which was grey yesterday.

So I'm golden now. This Photo Browser thing still doesn't populate my images, but I'll never click that button again.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
I'm opening Safari on my second monitor. In Mountain Lion, it would remember the size and position of the Safari window. If I closed the window or quit Safari, the next time I opened a new Safari window, it would be the same size and in the same place.

On Mavericks, it resets each time I close the window or quit Safari. It does remember to open on the second monitor, but it puts it in the wrong place (kind of haphazardly off to one side of the screen, but it is consistent in this default location) and is definitely the wrong size (again, it's consistent in the default size, but it doesn't really make sense why it's that size).

Related, other apps don't seem to remember on which display they were last being viewed, so everything opens by default on the internal monitor. In Mountain Lion, it remembered which app/window was where even after a restart. So why is the multiple-monitor thing being pitched as such a feature of Mavericks when (other than the addition of menubar and dock) it seems to work less reliably than with Mountain Lion?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

cowtown posted:

The new iWork apps no longer support AppleScript. :(

And Numbers apparently no longer has custom cell formats. gently caress you, Jony.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Anyone else noticed this, I have a 15" rMBP that I just upgraded to Mavericks on yesterday, ever since then my screen saver is really laggy. It also lags out the input when I type my password to unlock the system. Once the screen saver has been deactivated all is well.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Oneiros posted:

Did they do this without you contacting them?

Edit: I just checked my account and boom, the $19.99 I paid for Pages right before they got updated is nowhere to be found.

Edit: Never mind, I found it. I guess you have to contact them to reverse this. Heck I don't care, iWork is worth the money. Plus I ended up with the Aperture Trial getting upgraded to a MAS one so I'm not complaining about the :20bux:

echobucket fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 24, 2013

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I bought Keynote and promptly got them to refund it because I thought it was total crap compared to PowerPoint. It still shows up in my MAS updates list and obviously I can't update it because I don't have the licenses for it anymore. It's really annoying.

peppermoth
Oct 17, 2008
God damnit, god damnit! I have a blanket rule to never update from Apple.. why did I think this time would be any different?

I hate the new iWork so much. Why didn't I pay more attention to the fact it was a new version when I clicked the update button? Why?!

I use Numbers for assembling science posters, but now I can't work out how to have it separate the Numbers sheets into A3 and A4 sizes so I can tell how large I need to make things for the print job. It was a simple little toggle button before, and now its just... gone? It's certainly nowhere to be found in the gimpy new inspector. Also, most of my documents I've opened in this new version have issues with the old file types, so now my templates are all wonky and text is too big for the cells. Removing features is bad enough, but errors in translating old documents? Are they kidding?

Pages too! Text boxes have lost their ability to flow into another text box when full.. another thing I used the program for specifically. Opening the documents I had been working on for an assignment have now got one text box too small for all the words in one column of my page layout, and 4 empty text boxes where it all used to neatly be. Sure I can manually cut and paste it back the way it was.. and just decide to never add more text to any full text boxes at the start of my document.. but, christ.. is this something that we accept now?

iMovie is another train wreck - where is my ability to shrink clips down to one frame per clip? Now my longer projects are absurdly hard to manage, and my fairly high-end iMac shits bricks when I scroll through it. Plus navigating through my media seems to have become much more tedious, and I'm not prepared to just accept 'I'm not used to it yet'.

At least Aperture seems to have remained unscathed from the 'upgrade'.. god-loving-damnit Apple.. it's poo poo like this that has caused me to stop recommending Apple products to anyone. If my photo library wasn't held hostage to Aperture I'd leave Apple behind for good.

Can't wait to find out what else is removed or broken when I start to get my end of semester work ready to hand in.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

echobucket posted:

Did they do this without you contacting them?

Edit: I just checked my account and boom, the $19.99 I paid for Pages right before they got updated is nowhere to be found.

Edit: Never mind, I found it. I guess you have to contact them to reverse this. Heck I don't care, iWork is worth the money. Plus I ended up with the Aperture Trial getting upgraded to a MAS one so I'm not complaining about the :20bux:

Yeah, you have to submit a claim through iTunes of all things. Go to your Purchase History (opens in iTunes), click "Report a Problem", select the relevant purchase order(s), and fill out an explanation.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Why the hell are widgets still a thing in mavericks? Anything I can find on apple's website just looks horrible as it probably hasn't been updated since snow leopard

I just want something that shows my disk space and doesn't look like poo poo, dammit :mad:
The only widget I ever used was Delivery Status, and that was in order to send push notifications to the iOS counterpart. Now that the iOS app can do background refresh and doesn't need an OS X machine, I'll probably disable Dashboard.

Also iStat Menus is great if you just want something to glance at for disk space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

This may be the stupidest of newbie questions, but is antimalware on the mac recommended? I just realized that the two macs I used at work had mcafee as part of the standard image, but my imac at home is without.

If it is necessary or recommended, what should I use?