Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I should also mention that it is constantly phoning home and that doing a reinstall of FFVII does between jack and poo poo. At one point I had actually combed through my computer's registry for every instance of final fantasy, ffvii, etc. and even then it would screw up on the first boot.

If at any time that you want your steam copy of FFVII to use the same account as your other stuff, keep in mind that it IS possible to transfer it over. You just have to login to the fake account (with the first link, of course), delink the Steam integration, and then set your actual S-E account to be linked with your Steam account. It will take a while to update the accounts but it will eventually be the correct one.

Can you tell I've had to deal with this nonsense already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

A shrubbery! posted:

e2: Oh wow. Typed in some random letters and it decided to work. I guess I should get used to my new nickname, anshdj574hd!

Watch out, SE might steal that to name their next sequel for Dissidia. And in HD!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Krad posted:

Watch out, SE might steal that to name their next sequel for Dissidia. And in HD!

Final Fantasy III-2: Anshdj 574 HD

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

Final Fantasy III-2: Anshd'j 5/74 HD*
*the / reads as "over"

e: no wait it would actually be

quote:

Anshd'j 5/74: Final Fantasy III-2 HD*
*the / reads as "over"

silly me

BioMe fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 24, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

BioMe posted:

Final Fantasy III-2: Anshd'j 5/74 HD*
*the / reads as "over"

Let me explain how this is a metaphor for the plot.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

Let me explain how this is a metaphor for the plot.

It's incomprehensible gibberish that looks like it was thrown together by hitting keys at random?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Phantasium posted:

I kinda wish this didn't mean nothing.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/17/final-fantasy-dragon-quest-tales-collaboration-might-possible/

If only to put everyone out of their comfort zones.

Link still doesn't work for me but I would absolutely play the hell out of a DQ version of FFT. I don't believe the current SE is capable of making a game like that and it's more likely we'd get a FF+DQ All the Bravest, but I can dream.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's incomprehensible gibberish that looks like it was thrown together by hitting keys at random?

What? No! The moniker " anshdj574hd" was carefully chosen to represent

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
At least my annoyance has spawned something funny :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Nononono, guys, guys, you're forgetting the first step in all of this: a J-Pop (sounding) theme song with tangentially-at-best related lyrics! Like this!

What am I doing linking that stuff on here? :gonk:

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

bbcisdabomb posted:

What? No! The moniker " anshdj574hd" was carefully chosen to represent

Uhm, excuse me but it's clearly a LatinJapaneseEnglishFrench pun with some pretty deep religious symbolism you guys:

Cie'th: Etymology
Fal'Cie: Etymology
L'Cie: Etymology and Symbolism

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

BioMe posted:

Uhm, excuse me but it's clearly a LatinJapaneseEnglishFrench pun with some pretty deep religious symbolism you guys:

I think you'll find it's:

D'anshdj574hd,
F'an'shd'j574hd
anshdj574hd'eſ

Seriously people, it's not difficult to distinguish between them, geez! :v:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 24, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BioMe posted:

Grasp At Straws: Etymology

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Nononono, guys, guys, you're forgetting the first step in all of this: a J-Pop (sounding) theme song with tangentially-at-best related lyrics! Like this!

What am I doing linking that stuff on here? :gonk:

I'd prefer theme songs that are more like this.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

The funny parts aren't even that. "Cieth is a combination of the word 'death' and the gibberish 'cie'". They must be on datalogs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I submit that this is the best track in FF14 because I was grinning like mad when I heard it and realized what it was.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fister Roboto posted:

I submit that this is the best track in FF14 because I was grinning like mad when I heard it and realized what it was.

It makes me hope that they're going to do something similar with songs from FF3, when they add in that Crystal tower dungeon. C'mon This is the Final Battle remix! :allears:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Quit making me want to play FF14, damnit. :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Quit making me want to play FF14, damnit. :(

Just play it for a month, burn out, and come back to the thread so you can bitch how FFXV is never coming out seriously SE.

I kind of want a Final Fantasy V-3 Dimensions 2. I mean it was a pretty decent game all told and I'd love them to give me another job focused five person party game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Barudak posted:

Just play it for a month, burn out, and come back to the thread so you can bitch how FFXV is never coming out seriously SE.

It's mostly a money issue right now. I've had half an eye on it since it came out that ARR was Actually Good.

Though the OP of the MMO HMO thread kinda bums me out - can you really not use Carbuncles once you are a Summoner or Scholar? Half the reason I want to play is to have carby friends. :(

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh God, this is wonderful. Final Fantasy II and Dragon Quest II may be some the worst games in their series, but their music is fantastic.

I love the logo for it too, and it's a shame they didn't go for a unique logo in each game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Even knowing what that says I can barely read it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Binoly Zontasy II

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Fister Roboto posted:

Haha that's kind of charming. There is a character named K'lyhia in that video, according to the dialogue box. K'lyhia

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That loving Sned posted:

Oh God, this is wonderful. Final Fantasy II and Dragon Quest II may be some the worst games in their series, but their music is fantastic.

I love the logo for it too, and it's a shame they didn't go for a unique logo in each game.

FFIII shares the same style of logo.

Interesting to see that the standard FF logo (Runic MT font, shaded Amano pic in the background), didn't really appear until FF4, initially only in Japan, that is, until FF7.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Is that red sword supposed to be the Blood Sword then, or a Fire Brand?

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Kyrosiris posted:

It's mostly a money issue right now. I've had half an eye on it since it came out that ARR was Actually Good.

Though the OP of the MMO HMO thread kinda bums me out - can you really not use Carbuncles once you are a Summoner or Scholar? Half the reason I want to play is to have carby friends. :(

As a summoner you're stuck with Carbuncles and Ifrit until you unlock other summons via class quests. Scholars completely lose them in favor for faeries, one of which is become infamous for constantly pulling aggro (EOS :argh:).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Lant posted:

As a summoner you're stuck with Carbuncles and Ifrit until you unlock other summons via class quests.

Oh, that's good. What other ones are available? (should I just go bug the MMO HMO thread about this instead?)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

It makes me hope that they're going to do something similar with songs from FF3, when they add in that Crystal tower dungeon. C'mon This is the Final Battle remix! :allears:

Its almost guaranteed that crystal tower is going to be full of great arrangements from FF3 just like the eventual Gilgamesh encounters are going to have the most bitching rendition of battle at the big bridge yet.

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh, that's good. What other ones are available? (should I just go bug the MMO HMO thread about this instead?)
You start of with "emerald" carbunkle which is the ranged dps one. Then you get topaz which is orangy gold tank one. After you become a summoner you get ifrit, then you get titan and finally garuda. They've mentioned that you'll get more after the level cap. We know that Ramuh and Siren are already in the game's client and Leviathan is going to probably be the next primal we'd have to fight in the story. We know that there is concept art for Shiva as well.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 25, 2013

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

That loving Sned posted:

Does that look like early Roger Dean Yes album cover font to anyone else?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
anshdj574hd, THE LATEYEAR SOLSTICE APPROACHES

Now where's my nobel prize for literature everyone thinks a brilliant and cunning reference like this should earn FF14?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah OK the writing isn't award-winning and it's also absolutely riddled with ASOIAF references, but it's still a far cry better, and better localized, than anything SE as put out in the last decade, probably. That's why people tend to gush over it.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

The White Dragon posted:

anshdj574hd, THE LATEYEAR SOLSTICE APPROACHES

Now where's my nobel prize for literature everyone thinks a brilliant and cunning reference like this should earn FF14?

I'd accept FF14's localization over the tragedy that was FF13's localization. It actually has some semblance of character instead of attempting to be completely sterile and literal.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah OK the writing isn't award-winning and it's also absolutely riddled with ASOIAF references, but it's still a far cry better, and better localized, than anything SE as put out in the last decade, probably. That's why people tend to gush over it.

I thought it was all the innuendo every 3 seconds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

S-E put out Nier in the last decade so this can't be true.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

I'd accept FF14's localization over the tragedy that was FF13's localization. It actually has some semblance of character instead of attempting to be completely sterile and literal.

Yeah this is what I was getting at. And it's not like the classic FF games weren't lousy with pop culture references.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah this is what I was getting at. And it's not like the classic FF games weren't lousy with pop culture references.

Remember this is the series that has a regular set of recurring characters that exist solely as a Star Wars reference.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

S-E put out Nier in the last decade so this can't be true.

Didn't they outsource Nier's localization? To 8-4 I think.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I thought it was all the innuendo every 3 seconds.

It's not even innuendo. I was serious a bit upthread when I said all the NPCs constantly tell you to get sodomized. I'm almost certain that "bugger" is the most commonly used word in the game, followed closely by "shite" and "the".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Killing Vector posted:

Didn't they outsource Nier's localization? To 8-4 I think.

Most translation is outsourced. It's part of the reason you can get such widely varied translations from within a single company. To use a more recognizable name, Alexander O. Smith's company Kajiya Production is hired to do a lot of stuff although IIRC he began in-studio at S-E.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 25, 2013