Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Brightfull and Blackquill's working relationship is an absolute wonder. I wans't so hot on either character at first, then they started to interact, and Brightfull shocking the poo poo out of Blackquill was just glorious. However, I'm not really sold on case 2 insofar day 2 investigation. I mean, who thought making L'belle so obviously shady as hell was a good idea? The man is litteraly browbeating a futur witness in front of you, and the best Apollo comes up is "Well, they must be afraid of that supersitition!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scher
Sep 15, 2011

~Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~
I'm kind of disappointed in the number of typos in this game. I kind of wish they had proofread the script a little more.

With that said, the first case was a pretty good start to the game. Calling out the bomb disposal guy on the fake bomb when everyone else had just run off was a pretty interesting end to the case. Case 2 has also been kind of interesting so far, although the end of the first day of court was a bit of a mess with Blackquill being Blackquill and the mayor being "possessed" by birdman. Everything just kind of went off the rails at the end, there. Guess I'll see how the case keeps up tomorrow.

Scher fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 25, 2013

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

It wouldn't be a proper Ace Attorney game without a few typos here and there.

Also, I just finished case 2 and (medium-large case 2 spoilers)AHAHAHAHA that true scenario was literally scooby doo + murder + superstitious Japanese "immigrants", it owned owned owned. (As did the final anime cutscene of the case.)

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Is it just me, or is the 3D ghosting in the courtroom really bad? I noticed it in the demo as well and could only leave the 3D effect at a minimum.

So far, early in case 2, the 3D is gorgeous, and I can run the game with maxed 3D slider.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So hey. If I never completed Miles edgeworth because I didn't like it, but I've played the others and ignored the crossover games (also MII2 isn't even translated yet), can I still get this and play and not be lost?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So...first case spoiler question So, when the Baliff went and got Woods, wouldn't he need to enter the courtroom and actually verify that Apollo wasn't brained at the time? Or did they just call her on an intercom or something? That detail just really bugged me. So much so that the spectacle of Phoenix basically bullshitting his way to the actual culprit was kind of lost to me.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 25, 2013

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So hey. If I never completed Miles edgeworth because I didn't like it, but I've played the others and ignored the crossover games (also MII2 isn't even translated yet), can I still get this and play and not be lost?

we should really make this the OP, yeah, it's fine. Also, AAI2 is probably the best game of the series so check out Youtube user dowolf for a translation or the fantranslation when it's done.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Having just finished case 2's first day in court, I have this big stupid grin stuck on my face that will probably stay there until I finish this game.

I mean, there's a locked-room murder involving luchadores!

It's like this game is made of a mixture of all the silly things I love.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
It's really a testament to this game that almost all of the plot criticisms that come up in the first two cases are addressed by the end of Case 5. :allears:

This is, by far, my favorite Phoenix Wright game.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, this got released yesterday. And I get paid today. Best payday gift ever :woop:

Been so long since I played a PW game. I'm glad they ported this.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Suspicious Cook posted:

:laffo: Early Case 3 non-spoilers: Presenting Athena's badge to Apollo first chance you get is possibly the best thing I've ever done in any of these games. I know everyone will do it anyway, but I just want to make sure everyone does.

I hope you presented Apollo's badge to Phoenix during the brief time you can, because that's even better.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Casull posted:

Is it just me, or is the 3D ghosting in the courtroom really bad? I noticed it in the demo as well and could only leave the 3D effect at a minimum.

So far, early in case 2, the 3D is gorgeous, and I can run the game with maxed 3D slider.

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I can play any other 3DS game in 3D just fine but somehow this game gives me horrendous eye strain. I think it has to do with the characters appearing to pop out like they're in front of the text box, rather than having a proper diorama effect.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 25, 2013

Spider Barbie
Oct 15, 2012
Since he seems to be English in the English versions of the game, I can't get the idea of Blackquill just being a horrible weeaboo out of my head now :allears:

I AM A SAMURAI, JUSTICE-DONO, FEEL THE BITE OF MY $40 KATANA

(His theme is pretty bitchin' though)

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
As Apollo put it, he's probably watched too many Samurai flicks.

Also can we call L'Belle Dio Brando? I can't help but read his voice like out of the Antfish abridged series.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
So I'm on the first trial day of the second case and I think I lost the script on one of the plot beats.

I've just established that the real killer killed Alderman, knocked out Tenma, left the room, locked the door, and then crawled into the air vent to toss the key back inside the room. But the thing I'm lost on-- and I suspect I might have just spaced out and got the sequence of events mixed up-- is how the hell did Jinxie find the crime scene if the door was locked?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Opposing Farce posted:

So I'm on the first trial day of the second case and I think I lost the script on one of the plot beats.

I've just established that the real killer killed Alderman, knocked out Tenma, left the room, locked the door, and then crawled into the air vent to toss the key back inside the room. But the thing I'm lost on-- and I suspect I might have just spaced out and missed this-- is how the hell did Jinxie find the crime scene if the door was locked?

As they point out, she has the key for that room specifically. The key tossed back inside was the Alderman's master key.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Astro Nut posted:

As they point out, she has the key for that room specifically. The key tossed back inside was the Alderman's master key.

Ah, all right. I knew I had missed something :downs:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Unlucky7 posted:

So...first case spoiler question So, when the Baliff went and got Woods, wouldn't he need to enter the courtroom and actually verify that Apollo wasn't brained at the time? Or did they just call her on an intercom or something? That detail just really bugged me. So much so that the spectacle of Phoenix basically bullshitting his way to the actual culprit was kind of lost to me.

From what I could tell, the bailiff got Junie, and then Tonate went in there and clubbed Apollo. He insisted on staying behind when Junie left because he wanted to find Bum Rap Rhiny.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh my god. This guy. (Case 3 minor spoilers) This arrogant jerk student just called me(or rather, Athena) a mouth-breather. And then Athena called him a hipster doofus.

The writing in this game :allears:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Honestly, after Investigations, its nice to see the writing return to form like this. Not that Investigations was bad, but the dialogue felt more like a direct translation from the Japanese, highly formal and without contractions.

Best joke for me so far:

Phoenix: (The way she talks about Apollo, you'd think he was some ancient god...

Oh, wait...)

Or however its actually written in the game XD

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

VarrosAnon posted:

From what I could tell, the bailiff got Junie, and then Tonate went in there and clubbed Apollo. He insisted on staying behind when Junie left because he wanted to find Bum Rap Rhiny.

If that's the case, then the bailiff could have been called to the stand to debunk Tonate's assertion that Junie assaulted Apollo.

Astro Nut posted:

Honestly, after Investigations, its nice to see the writing return to form like this. Not that Investigations was bad, but the dialogue felt more like a direct translation from the Japanese, highly formal and without contractions.

Best joke for me so far:

Phoenix: (The way she talks about Apollo, you'd think he was some ancient god...

Oh, wait...)

Or however its actually written in the game XD

Good ol' snarky blue text is back and in prime form. :allears:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

VarrosAnon posted:

Yeah, but then there is a witness to the fact that when Junipers left the room, Justice wasn't unconscious. Meaning Junipers would never been able to attack him. So far, I must say I'm slightly disappointed in how the cases play out. Investigation was better in that regard.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Case 2 sorta-spoilers:

ace_attorney.jpg

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Case 2, day 1 trial "The witness will henceforth testify truthfully under penalty of painful bird attacks!"

I missed this writing so much :allears:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Pastrymancy posted:

I missed this writing so much :allears:
Yeah upon playing until the end of day 2, I really didn't. It looks like they picked the very worst parts of the serie, between obnoxious characters, previsible plot twists and baffling stupidity from the main character. I do hope it gets better, because so far, with the exception of Fulbright and Blackquill, it's probably as bad as 4-3 was.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've just finished 5-1.

God, I missed Ace Attorney.
I'm waiting for the AAI2 fan translation to finish before playing any of it, but I'm worried that they're not going to be able to bring the charm the real translation has.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Aurain posted:

I've just finished 5-1.

God, I missed Ace Attorney.
I'm waiting for the AAI2 fan translation to finish before playing any of it, but I'm worried that they're not going to be able to bring the charm the real translation has.

If you don't care about playing it, youtube user dowolf has the whole thing up on youtube right now. AAI2 is loving amazing. I finished case 3 and that really could have been the payoff for the whole game right there. The fact i've still got 2 more to go astounds me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

If you don't care about playing it, youtube user dowolf has the whole thing up on youtube right now. AAI2 is loving amazing. I finished case 3 and that really could have been the payoff for the whole game right there. The fact i've still got 2 more to go astounds me.

I definitely want to play through AAI2 instead of watching it. It's not the same as actually figuring it all out yourself.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Aurain posted:

I definitely want to play through AAI2 instead of watching it. It's not the same as actually figuring it all out yourself.

No, no it's not. :smith:

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Iceclaw posted:

Yeah upon playing until the end of day 2, I really didn't. It looks like they picked the very worst parts of the serie, between obnoxious characters, previsible plot twists and baffling stupidity from the main character. I do hope it gets better, because so far, with the exception of Fulbright and Blackquill, it's probably as bad as 4-3 was.

Really? Blackquill is honestly dragging the case down for me. I think he's the most obnoxious of the bunch and wonder if he gets less annoying as the game goes on.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Blackquill's alright, because of how he works with Fulbright. It's funny to see them trying to controle each other. L'Belle, Finch and Jinxie are just annoying. However, the last trial part is alright. It's just the investigation that sucks.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Filch is loving great, his animations are awesome. He's endearing :3:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I missed some dialogue right at the end of case 1, and it wouldn't let me look at the text history. What was the "voiceover" saying about Apollo? Something about blah blah blah a case a few months ago something mythology something?

Edit: oh don't worry, the text history feature carries over, so I'm at the beginning of case 2 now and I can see what Athena's "voiceover" said.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 25, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ahahaha holy poo poo start of case 3 in court.

"Excellent job, Detective Fulbright. You can expect a salary raise!" :allears:

Oh wow. Just a few lines later. "Well, Judge, this ninja I met in the clink... :anime:" Blackquill is on fire.

Terper fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 25, 2013

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The first case was a bit silly but drat I love me some Phoenix Wright.

That final pointing animation made me hoot with delight. :D

(And I seriously can't get enough of Phoenix doing the table slam.)

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Also is it me, or had the Judge's IQ picked up? Sure, he's still subject to the unfortunate whims of the prosecutors, but when it comes to figuring stuff out, he seems better able to connect the dots with only a few nudges.

Spider Barbie
Oct 15, 2012
I missed part of (case 2 spoilers) L'Belle coaching Filch on what to say in court so I went into the text history to check it when the game froze and I got an error message saying it had to be reset.

Back to the beginning of day two for me :smith:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Spider Barbie posted:

I missed part of (case 2 spoilers) L'Belle coaching Filch on what to say in court so I went into the text history to check it when the game froze and I got an error message saying it had to be reset.

Back to the beginning of day two for me :smith:

Haven't had any freezes, but some lines in the text history seem to arbitrarily be missing for me, and they may or may not come back when I check again. Weird bugs going on with it, I guess.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Astro Nut posted:

Also is it me, or had the Judge's IQ picked up? Sure, he's still subject to the unfortunate whims of the prosecutors, but when it comes to figuring stuff out, he seems better able to connect the dots with only a few nudges.

He's the Demon of Due Process not the Ace of Logic. He seems about the same level of put together to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pastrami posted:

Did anyone else feel like in case 1 of Dual Destinies that turning WOODS into the serial number was insanely obtuse? If you erase the entire curve on the D and part of the W then it becomes the serial number on the case!

I think it was more logical in the Japanese version. Juniper's name is "Shinobu" (romanizes into SINOBU) and the case number is 511103UR, so removing the diagonal stroke in the N and the vertical stroke on the left of the B cleanly gives you the case number.

Except they had to change the character to have a plant/forest pun name in English but still have it make sense within the confines of that specific puzzle. I think there was only so much they could do.

• Locked thread