Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

All this rotation talk reminds of when I first found out people used spreadsheets to number crunch damage output in MMOs. What a bunch of loving spergy nerds. Just hit poo poo, don't die, and have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Why the gently caress are we trying to talk about rotations? Every other person here means something different when they use the word and anyone that tried to define it (so we could have some loving awesome meta[game/play/development] discussion on rotation's place in MMO/Video Games) would end up with a pretty crappy, useless definition that has conclusions they wouldn't want. Exactly like what I just wrote, trying to talk about "rotations" is just a colossal loving waste of time.

Of course since there are too drat many bosses that take 10 minutes to whittle down and you don't even need to move to survive, you sometimes wonder what order of button presses you can do to make the fight 2% shorter. Answer: its not worth the effort, just alt-tab with auto attack on.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

But optimisation!?!?!?

(the closest to a rotation is switching between axe and greatsword on a warrior for much-vaunted max deeps)

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

MysteriousThing posted:

If anybody honestly believes that Rotations play no part in Guild Wars 2 then I am not going to bother arguing with you.
Guild Wars 2 has rotations, end of story.

Way to argue like a 10 year old. If you can't be bothered to be open to the very good possibility that you're wrong and think that a "you guys are dumb and don't understand, I'm done arguing with you" send off is kosher, then shuuuuuut the hell up.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
I just push every button on my bar when it's up and it's worked out so far. Rotations are for chumps, this game is 95% dressup and 5% pushing all of the buttons to make cool stuff happen.

MysteriousThing
Jul 21, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!

Louisgod posted:

Way to argue like a 10 year old. If you can't be bothered to be open to the very good possibility that you're wrong and think that a "you guys are dumb and don't understand, I'm done arguing with you" send off is kosher, then shuuuuuut the hell up.

I was attempting to shift the discussion away from anything that could possibly be considered "Importing Drama".

It's not a send off any more then if somebody told me sweet rolls were not in skyrim (which has happened, TWICE).

I simply make my point, cite a few sources and if the person(s) do not want to even bother looking at the evidence; why bother?

Is it possible that I am wrong?
Yes and always.
In this case, if I am wrong then so is Arena-net. The central premise of my argument is merely an articulation of pre-existing game mechanics. Arena-net is behind the mechanics of Guild Wars 2.

I am not propping myself up as some grandiose authority on all things guild wars. I am simply saying that by definition of the word as it is used in the context of games, Gw2 has rotations.
If anybody wants to debate that with me then I am open too it. I would recommend you argue semantics as that appears to me the only real way you could uproot my present argument.

Edit:

I think this might be of use here.

Louisgod
Your post is probably best listed as "responding to tone" which is kinda silly when you are responding to the tone of somebody who is socially ambiguous or socially naive.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
jesus christ i am gong to stab you.

e: I am at the least blue in your gay triangle.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
Would guild rotation be a possible rotation idea?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Can we refund his :10bux:?

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I look forward to the day when everyone in this thread knows to just ignore Mysterious Thing/OldSmeller just as everyone who plays on Maguuma is learning to do. There are valid reasons he wasn't accepted into SFD, kicked out of Goon Squad and banned from the public Maguuma mumble. He feeds off of people disagreeing with him the way Arus feeds off of anything that casts a shadow. I'm honestly surprised he doesn't just switch to another server where he isn't so well known (for all the wrong reasons) if he is looking to form an top tier MMOSR SS+AAA WvW guild.

The best advice in this thread that is given over and over again is to not worry about having the best class for finding groups, beating dungeons, playing spvp or World vs World. Experiment with the classes, find one that fits your play-style and just enjoy the game (oh and also join a Goon guild). I think one of this game's strongest features is the lack of a monthly subscription. I've never felt like I HAD to play or else I was wasting money. I could spend as little or as much time as I wanted to play any given day/week. I don't think I've ever stuck with an MMO for a full year, and it's nice to know I can always easily take a break and come back to the game later if I ever felt like it. I bet there will be some good sales on the game around the holidays as well if you're thinking about picking it up but aren't necessarily in a hurry.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

J3ng4 posted:

I just push every button on my bar when it's up and it's worked out so far.

What's kinda funnier is that if you really want to be a min/maxing SS officer, pushing the buttons as they come up is often a damage loss. There are way too many highly effective builds where the highest damage is "turn autoattack to on" and everything else is taken care of by positioning/dodging/utility skills.

Also surely everyone got the combo achievement accidentally by zerging DEs/playing PvDoor right?

hampig fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 25, 2013

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
Wow tons of new posts! Was there a new patch or something cool?
Oh ok, "rotations" I guess.

Here's how you become the super hero of your group:
1. Deal some damage
2. Don't die
3. Be able buff/support/heal your party

If you're doing at least two of these things then you're probably doing fine, and if you're doing all three things then nobody should be complaining about your performance. If anyone kicks you out of their group for not being in some sort of voice chat or for not playing your profession right because you aren't doing the right skills in the right order at the right time then maybe whoever kicked you should burn their house down play a different game.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Always start your dungeon runs so if you get kicked out they get punished too.

edit: To be clear I'm not joking and it's incredibly stupid that this system is still in place. Or that it ever was at all.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Protip posted:

top tier MMOSR SS+AAA WvW guild.
Na. You guys keep him there on Maguuma, TIA.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

teagone posted:

All this rotation talk reminds of when I first found out people used spreadsheets to number crunch damage output in MMOs. What a bunch of loving spergy nerds. Just hit poo poo, don't die, and have fun.

I once played Diablo 3 with a group of folks who had super optimum builds to just blaze through everything, during a moment of downtime they began discussing their spreadsheets and projected profits for the month, one of them then told a story, about he was drunk and hosed around with his spreadsheets and lost like 10 million gold because he put the wrong data in.

Maybe its just me but that sounds like a loving job rather than a game, then again I recall goons saying they paid off rent and their car with D3 profits sometimes so maybe it was a job for some.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
This is like the same thing as ugh how can people farm champs for hours or ugh how can people farm dungeons. It's almost like different people are able to derive enjoyment from different things even when they appear mundane to you.

And mysterious derives enjoyment posting argument graph-pyramids and being generally insufferable. Don't hate

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Alteisen posted:

Maybe its just me but that sounds like a loving job rather than a game, then again I recall goons saying they paid off rent and their car with D3 profits sometimes so maybe it was a job for some.

That is one of the gooniest way to pay bills. Jesus.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

teagone posted:

Only if you farm/sell manually.

I just don't see why "rotations" results in such a rabid reaction. My fresh lvl 80 ele has a simple rotation of Eruption -> Lava Font -> Arcane Wave to get some Might going whenever possible. Why do you hate Might?!

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 25, 2013

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
I'm a guard so my typical rotation is 1

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

teagone posted:

And yet, I believe it. I worked with a guy who swore his paycheck was pure spending cash, because he paid his rent by levelling and selling Diablo 2 accounts. :homebrew:

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I just don't see why "rotations" results in such a rabid reaction. My fresh lvl 80 ele has a simple rotation of Eruption -> Lava Font -> Arcane Wave to get some Might going whenever possible. Why do you hate Might?!

Because if you think about GW2 you're doing it wrong according to goons. Just run in and do whatever dudes :toot:

Also, this is when the troll became obvious:

MysteriousThing posted:

Savant Certification on Jump Puzzels.

sound_again fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 25, 2013

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

It wasn't the idea of rotations that provoked a reaction, it was the kicking people from groups for not using them correctly.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

I just don't see why "rotations" results in such a rabid reaction.

Because when other people say "rotations" they don't mean exactly the same thing that you mean when you say that word.

Like "grinding", "progression", "raiding", "content", each person holds their own inconsistent hodgepodge of properties for each.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm pretty sure it was more that thing Shalebridge said.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

To be fair playing the market in GW2 is hilariously easy, but unless you have the capital to start, you'll never make anything.
You need about 2000g to start seeing real returns. In fact given that today is a friday I might end up offloading some more of my assets and seeing where I get to this time.

Also guys I have the auto rotate on my camera turned off am I doing it wrong? :downs:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

teagone posted:

The only thing that made me feel sadder than finding this out was finding out people do the same for pen and paper RPGs.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The only thing that made me feel sadder than finding this out was finding out people do the same for pen and paper RPGs.

Let me tell you about the people that play a game called EVE.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

Let me tell you about the people that play a game called EVE.

You say that like there is a game behind the spreadsheets in EvE.

Cephid
Dec 28, 2012

teagone posted:

You'd be surprised at how many enjoy doing math, even if it's pointless math related to a MMO.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Protip posted:

I look forward to the day when everyone in this thread knows to just ignore Mysterious Thing/OldSmeller just as everyone who plays on Maguuma is learning to do. There are valid reasons he wasn't accepted into SFD, kicked out of Goon Squad and banned from the public Maguuma mumble. He feeds off of people disagreeing with him the way Arus feeds off of anything that casts a shadow. I'm honestly surprised he doesn't just switch to another server where he isn't so well known (for all the wrong reasons) if he is looking to form an top tier MMOSR SS+AAA WvW guild.

The best advice in this thread that is given over and over again is to not worry about having the best class for finding groups, beating dungeons, playing spvp or World vs World. Experiment with the classes, find one that fits your play-style and just enjoy the game (oh and also join a Goon guild). I think one of this game's strongest features is the lack of a monthly subscription. I've never felt like I HAD to play or else I was wasting money. I could spend as little or as much time as I wanted to play any given day/week. I don't think I've ever stuck with an MMO for a full year, and it's nice to know I can always easily take a break and come back to the game later if I ever felt like it. I bet there will be some good sales on the game around the holidays as well if you're thinking about picking it up but aren't necessarily in a hurry.

This is the best Post/Name combo in the thread. Proest of Tips :)

Playing video games with like minded people. What a novel concept.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I've further tuned a build I posted earlier in this thread to this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQNAR8flwzipXUTsGbNJhpHE33A/MjoDdSFUdZBA

I'm still going full berserker. The only thing I have trouble with is running into warriors who have built toughness. Can anyone suggest a way to deal with them, besides just leaving them alone?

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 25, 2013

Cephid
Dec 28, 2012
Interesting I hadn't seen anyone go with a phantasm PU build.

One of the biggest draws is also condition cleansing from torch + stealth buffs; do you find yourself missing that or does the remove condition on heal seem to cover the gap enough?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm feeling really loving squishy as an Ele using pure offensive gear.

Is this just my inexperience with dungeon runs?

In an ideal world, I'd never go down on account of my leet dodging/defensive skill usage, but in practice, I am going down, and that's cutting into dps time, and it cuts into dps time from teammates to revive me.

Another issue is that like so many people say, 'it doesn't matter in pve' - I've taken a support build that uses P/V/CD, felt less squishy, went down less, and stuff still died about as fast.

When you only make up 20% of the dps in any given party, it seems like what you can offer to the party matters more than what you bring in terms of raw dps - e.g., if I can bring 15-20+ might stacks and perma fury, or 10-15 might stacks and perma fury/swiftness/protection plus party healing and condition clearing, that seems more valuable than simply focusing on my own raw damage output.

Still experimenting with builds though, trying to find something that lets me both run dungeons efficiently and go do stuff in the world with no more than a trait swap, because switching traits and gear regularly is a pain in the rear end on account of the inexplicable lack of a build/armory system.

(Side note: If you played Ele and hated all the attunement swapping, never, ever use Fresh Air, jesus christ)

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

victrix posted:

When you only make up 20% of the dps in any given party, it seems like what you can offer to the party matters more than what you bring in terms of raw dps - e.g., if I can bring 15-20+ might stacks and perma fury, or 10-15 might stacks and perma fury/swiftness/protection plus party healing and condition clearing, that seems more valuable than simply focusing on my own raw damage output.

This is very true, but it starts to fall apart if multiple party members all do the same. Might can cap, fury/vigour/swiftness/regeneration have no added boost once you hit 100% uptime. Really seems to be the case that guardians seem so "good" at party support is that they have much better access to aegis/protection/stability than other classes do, so there is less overlap between a guardian and other support classes.

I almost always play a shout 'support' warrior and while its difficult to be able to tell, I can't really tell its making much of a difference to the party (one exception is on fights where there is a lot of party wide burning, which gets converted to an aegis about once every 8 seconds).

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

Louisgod posted:

jesus christ i am gong to stab you.

e: I am at the least blue in your gay triangle.

And you wonder why nobody wanted his guild info in the op...

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tarq posted:

And you wonder why nobody wanted his guild info in the op...

Honestly it wasn't about what others did or didn't want, it was about being fair to everybody regardless of where they fall on the autism spectrum but clearly my yearning for neutrality was a pipe dream, thanks Obama.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

The rotation that works best for me is the 1 autoattack with an axe on a warrior. I use full berserker gear and 30 points in the fourth row down on the skills or whatever it's called, the one with the banners. It heals me which means I can keep doing damage, and I don't have to push a button for it all the time (except once to put down the banner I have it bound to 7). Also I don't have to dodge because I get all my health back. I think I put 15 points in the third row down so I get more health back. The berserker gear lets me do damage but everything happens automatically.

Does anybody have a better healing build? It has to do good damage but also not die if I need to go and get some more water (I get thirsty)

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

All classes have priorities, but none have rotations. Some (elementalist, engineer) have ordered keypress combos that they might do every 30 seconds or so to provide group buffs or some other effect, but this is not the same as a rotation.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I don't know if there's rotations per se but if you have a skill that applies 10 stacks of vulnerability, you probably want to use it before you use your other more damaging attacks. That said, yes you can just press 1 until your index finger bleeds and win the whole game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Visidan posted:

Which groups are asking you this? I've still yet to be asked and I PuG alot on my ranger. Granted I don't zone in with a longbow/bear and rangers are considered one of the better classes in dungeons now but still that's some bad luck.

I was mostly talking about pugs from a guardian point of view. Often enough you end up with 2 guardians in a group and for some reason many pugs are allergic to that. Seeing as I almost exclusively play guardian, I run into that situation a lot.

Visidan posted:

If you really want a low effort "I don't give a gently caress" class go for a guardian not a warrior. You can alt-tab most bosses in the game with a full zerker + AH build no dodging required, any difficult boss and you can just put up a reflect wall for the most part.

I seriously disagree with this statement. A build that comes even close to that means you hit like a wet noodle, and still requires you to use some of your abilities. When it comes to dealing damage and tanking, a warrior is comparable to a ranger and his pet, minus the ranger. They're that passive and boring to play. On top of that, they don't have to make the same sacrifices we need to do in order to get really defensive. Their damage and (signet of) healing also remains absurd while in tanking mode. The other day I saw a warrior just facetank the last boss in HoTW part 1 without ever moving, while still laying down the hurt. That's something you simply can't do as a guardian.

But now I'm comparing guardians with the überclass again. :v:

Batham fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 25, 2013

• Locked thread