Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
The only reason I called her a Mary Sue is because I thought that meant she felt like a fan character.

Edit: Of course, don't take that to mean I don't like her. I enjoy her character, and her dialogue is well-written. All I was saying is that she has a lot of traits that characters in fanfiction have.

Snix fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
But aren't those traits more belonging to the main character in a story? Heroes were pretty special snowflakes well before FanFiction.net was ever a thing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

An additional protagonist introduced suddenly with a large amount of distinctive and convenient details will set off some warnings, certainly, but it's a false alarm in this case.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Terper posted:

Case 2 full case spoiler:

Yyyup.

Oh man everyone do yourself a favor and click on this after you beat Case 2, it is incredible.

Oh Ace Attorney you're so ridiculous and I love you. I think what actually happened was that L'Belle left the key on Tenma to help in framing him for the crime, and then a bleary Tenma swallowed it, probably not realizing that the forbidden chamber had already been breached. The image of L'Belle forcing it down his throat is really funny though.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Amppelix posted:

Heartily agreed. In fact, Gigi put my thoughts of it on paper pretty well here (again, case 3 day 1 spoilers, do not read): http://allmarios.tumblr.com/post/65068279108/ace-attorney-5-spoilers-i-got-mad-on-twitter-and

I think the point is supposed to be that she's SUPER MASCULINE and then afterwards ~extremely feminine~ and it's funny because genders, haha. But it was reeeeaallly clumsily executed. She in fact becomes a lot more tolerable, and sometimes funny, once the writers (and hopefully, you) forget the whole thing about gender confusion the next day.
It did seem a bit weird at first like some creepy and oddly-specific gender essentialism, but it makes more sense when you learn that it's Robin's parents who insist she present as a boy. The extreme hyperfemininity she shows after the truth comes out is likely a result of trying to pass all the time. What really puzzles me is why Robin's parents think presenting as male will help her become a prosecutor.

Another odd thing about Case 3 is that I immediately pegged Aristotle as the killer, but the game really sold the misdirection to the point that I honestly thought Hugh was involved at least in part up until the empty balcony came to light

[Major Case 3 Spoilers above]

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 26, 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Amppelix posted:

Heartily agreed. In fact, Gigi put my thoughts of it on paper pretty well here (again, case 3 day 1 spoilers, do not read): http://allmarios.tumblr.com/post/65068279108/ace-attorney-5-spoilers-i-got-mad-on-twitter-and

I think the point is supposed to be that she's SUPER MASCULINE and then afterwards ~extremely feminine~ and it's funny because genders, haha. But it was reeeeaallly clumsily executed. She in fact becomes a lot more tolerable, and sometimes funny, once the writers (and hopefully, you) forget the whole thing about gender confusion the next day.

CASE 3 SPOILERS: Oh thank god it gets better at some point. I was this close to shutting the game off permanently when I got to that part. Like loving nails on a chalkboard, that was.

It really bothered the gently caress out of me because god drat that was just handled so badly. Ugh. Case 3 has been pretty good so far but that more or less shunted it to the bottom of the list. Nice going, Capcom.

gently caress, what's wrong with me. :smith:

Chaltab posted:

MAJOR CASE 3 SPOILERS:
It did seem a bit weird at first like some creepy and oddly-specific gender essentialism, but it makes more sense when you learn that it's Robin's parents who insist she present as a boy. The extreme hyperfemininity she shows after the truth comes out is likely a result of trying to pass all the time. What really puzzles me is why Robin's parents think presenting as male will help her become a prosecutor.

MAJOR CASE 3 SPOILER: Well, okay, now that I think about it I can forgive the whole "Robin's a chick" thing. I admit the whole "swinging between hypermasculine and hyperfeminine" thing does actually happen IRL to a degree - obviously Robin having to hide her gender all the time would have been stressful on her, and she's gonna take the chance to go hyperfeminine while still being used to acting hypermasculine. She'll level out with time, but still...that stage is always insanely loving annoying.

I do like that she doesn't look so anxious and worried anymore though. :unsmith: Maybe I'm just hypersensitive to these things. Maybe.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Going in having heard about how hard to swallow Blackquill is I immediately started hearing all his lines in Robin Atkin Downes bowie impression from regular show and it's PREFECT. I'm pretty sure that at the least the translators were fully aware of what a dork they were making him sound like and it's pretty fun. It's nice to have a rival/antagonist we can actually LOATHE again after the last 3 or so were more or less on your side for most of the game.

Kind of annoyed that the cases are so dumbed down compared to Investigations 2 (seriously case 2, you couldn't keep the obvious murderers identity a secret for at most half an investigation phase?), but AAI2 being the best game in the series is a Bad Videogame Opinion I talk about too much already so I should probably just try to enjoy the game for what it is instead of comparing everything

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Slight Case 3 Spoilers: Why does no one recognize/mention anything about LaMiror when I present the stage costume? It sucks that Apollo and Phoenix don't say anything about it

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Pastrymancy posted:

Slight Case 3 Spoilers: Why does no one recognize/mention anything about LaMiror when I present the stage costume? It sucks that Apollo and Phoenix don't say anything about it

Of all people, I would've expected either Apollo or Klavier to say something about it.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

ChaosArgate posted:

Of all people, I would've expected either Apollo or Klavier to say something about it.

I really don't get it. Did Juniper plagiarize the costume design?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

HelloWinter posted:

Well they do seem to be teaching the students to cheat in the name of results...

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

HelloWinter posted:

Yeah, it's the exact same costume as a central witness to a case they worked on. Bugs me that they don't throw in a cameo to that if they bothered having Klavier show up

Scher
Sep 15, 2011

~Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~
There, finally finished up case 2. The second day in court was definitely a lot better, and it wrapped up pretty well. I really didn't expect Mayor Tenma to actually be the Nine Tails wrestler. I also thought the little sequence of putting together the conclusive evidence was nice. I'm rather looking forward to case 3, now.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Scher posted:

There, finally finished up case 2. The second day in court was definitely a lot better, and it wrapped up pretty well. I really didn't expect Mayor Tenma to actually be the Nine Tails wrestler. I also thought the little sequence of putting together the conclusive evidence was nice. I'm rather looking forward to case 3, now.
One thing I loved was how the killer showed up in court, initially, with green hair. Combined with his pale face, prominent lips, purple suit, and flower that he uses to gas people... He's the gatdam Joker. That's why his plot is so friggin' insane.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I just got this and so far the opening alone has been pretty amazing. I'm happy how they were able to take things from Apollo Justice without.. well, there are a lot of things going on in this but so far it seems awesome.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Bongo Bill posted:

My only problem with the portrayal of Athena is the implication that the ability to identify someone's emotions by the sound of their voice is some kind of superpower, which isn't really a problem with her per se.

Obviously it's just a way to mechanically interact with witnesses' emotions, like the crime scene reconstruction gadget in AAI, but characterizing it in that way is... problematic?

Rather than identifying emotions being a superpower per se, I just assumed she's simply exceptionally good at it. I don't see the problem.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Technically she just has a really good sense of hearing. She hears discord in their voices and Widget apparently interprets the emotions that are causing it.

I do find it hilarious how Widget is this super-high-tech holgram-computer gizmo that makes more sense in the English version's 2026 setting than in the more contemporary Japanese version, but the (Case 3 Spoiler) the Themis Legal Academy case hinges on a tape recording with audio lifted from a DVD

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 26, 2013

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Chaltab posted:

I do find it hilarious how Widget is this super-high-tech holgram-computer gizmo that makes more sense in the English version's 2026 setting than in the more contemporary Japanese version, but the (Case 3 Spoiler) the Themis Legal Academy case hinges on a tape recording with audio lifted from a DVD

Case 3 spoiler Themis Legal Academy truly lives in the Dark Ages of the Law.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
I'm on Day 2 of Case 2. The general consensus seems to be that Case 2 is a slog to get through, but I'm actually really enjoying it so far. While it does feel long, it doesn't feel to me that it drags on. And I'm amazed that Simon Blackquill's argument of Mayor Tenga being posses by Tenga Taro was taken more seriously than Apollo's "the killer wore a Tenga Taro suit and flew out the window with some contraption." Amazed in the best possible way, of course.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I didn't think Case 2 was a slog at any point. In fact I had a blast all the way through. Anyone who hates Case 2 hates fun :colbert:

Case 3 on the other hand, was pretty miserable, especially during the bit with Robin's gender (which in its defense could have been a lot worse, but the writers aren't getting a "congratulations you didn't do as badly as I expected you to" medal from me), the overbearing ~anime friendship~ tropes, and basically the entire end. The only positive thing I can say about the end is that they start to play the song from Apollo Justice Case 3 but mercifully fade out after the first few bars.

Although I did like how incredibly creepy Professor Means' character design was and his breakdown near the end where he busts out the chalkboard and goes crazy was hilariously insane. Everything with the statue explanation at the very end was just plain embarrassing though.

Case 3's have always been the weakest part of every Ace Attorney game and I sincerely think that out of all the bad Case 3's, Turnabout Academy might just be tied with Turnabout Big Top from JFA.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

I disagree completely. The case has perhaps the best use of misdirection in the series since Matt Engard, a much more sensible motive and method than case two, and honestly other than Hugh screaming to the heavens in the resolution, the friendship stuff was far from overbearing. There was a legitimate misunderstanding and a serious betrayal of trust, but they got over it like friends do. The biggest problem is Robin's gender, and that certainly could have been handled better. But it wasn't a disaster. While there were a lot of great parts to case two, I do feel that the localization made it uncomfortable in the since that you have a bunch of Americans and a British murderer with delusions of being a samurai mocking the superstitions of a bunch of Japanese immigrants. I'm sure it made more sense in Japanese, but the localization just felt off.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Just started case 3 and I have an irrational hatred for the purple-blue-something-like-that haired person whose name I cannot recall at the moment because the school setting and his character design strongly remind me of Valkyria Chronicles II, which I have a more rational hatred for. Barely into the first trial so I can't comment much on the case, but case 2 was a thing of beauty in every way. There were Karate Kid and Ric Flair references. I cannot ask for anything more than that from a game.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

Case 3, Day 2 Trial: I have just hit the :beck: part of the trial

Oh my god this is one of the more...memorable meltdowns :stare:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

This sums up my thoughts pretty well.

Once I acknowledged that the game is going to be across the board ridiculous, just basking in it made the game so much more enjoyable.

It's not a realistic legal system, but the cases are so fun. I think most of the plot "holes" are actually covered really well in later cases.

This is, hands down, my favorite Ace Attorney if only because I think all five cases are super solid, unlike the past games. (I also think the final case stuff just BARELY edges out Trials and Tribulations, but I suspect that'll be controversial.)

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

I'll tell you one thing about this game, I can't just examine everything everywhere like an OCD madman and that was weird at first. Otherwise this game owns hard, I'm on case 3 and I think it holds up just fine with the other ones.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

A cool drat horse posted:

I'll tell you one thing about this game, I can't just examine everything everywhere like an OCD madman and that was weird at first.

I can't investigate Charley and tell him he's a good boy. Worst change since removing the ability to present profiles to people for idle gossip. :colbert:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I thought Case 3 was going to be dumb with the characters and setting, but it is consistantly turning things around and making characters who seem like (or just are) annoying and making them absolutely fantastic. I just about died laughing when Hugh's absolutely fantastic emotion cross examination came up, and then Means going instantly from cool, calculated and very dangerous Damon Gant-style manipulator into Greek Mr. T was just :stare:

In short: BEST CASE 3 IN THE SERIES SO FAR, MAAAAAAAN!

e: Also I am listening to the Allegro cross examination theme and this bass is giving me some serious Guile theme vibes. Everything goes with Guile's theme, especially beating the truth out of witnesses :911:

nftyw fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 26, 2013

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I just found out this existed, why didn't Capcom advertise this more? I can't download this fast enough.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Pollyanna posted:

MAJOR CASE 3 SPOILER: Well, okay, now that I think about it I can forgive the whole "Robin's a chick" thing. I admit the whole "swinging between hypermasculine and hyperfeminine" thing does actually happen IRL to a degree - obviously Robin having to hide her gender all the time would have been stressful on her, and she's gonna take the chance to go hyperfeminine while still being used to acting hypermasculine. She'll level out with time, but still...that stage is always insanely loving annoying.

I do like that she doesn't look so anxious and worried anymore though. :unsmith: Maybe I'm just hypersensitive to these things. Maybe.

Man everybody's talking about these giant case 3 spoilers.

I actually kind of liked Robin's character. I definitely see how it reads to people as a weird gender essentialism thing, but I interpreted it more charitably as a case of someone who's got a conflicted gender identity and doesn't know how to reconcile it. When she's posing as a boy, she feels that she has to silence her inner femininity, which is why she has those conflicted feelings of shame and fear and joy and excitement during the Mood Matrix sequence, but once she's outed she swings hard the other way because acting like an over-the-top girly girl is the only way she knows to express her repressed femininity. Neither the shouty shonen protagonist nor the twirly, vaguely coquettish valley girl are the 'real' Robin, but her gender insecurities mean those are the only tools she has for self-expression until she can find a way to craft her own identity. It's all rendered in over-the-top anime stereotypes, but I think the underlying character dynamic is surprisingly sympathetic and relatable especially considering the spotty track record these kinds of games have with gender issues.

I'm also not sure whether to read her as a ciswoman whose parents insisted on raising her as a boy for what seems to be an utterly baffling non-reason like the game implies or as a transwoman, which would seem to a better fit for her backstory and actions. I know she has a line about being a girl in body and spirit or whatever, but I'm not convinced that should be taken at face value and even though the game probably intends the former interpretation authorial intent doesn't necessarily matter here.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 26, 2013

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Wish the game would stop giving me the answers. In the second trial of case 3 and working out how the body might have been moved apart from dropping it or using a crane, "There is a way to lower a body! It could be that thing that ties the art room and the stage together!" :what: I'm far enough into the game that I sort of expect to be doing the work myself, but so far I've been handed the location of every contradiction in testimonies by Athena's inner monologue, and she works out all the puzzles for me too. Usually I've got to the answer just before her, but it's getting on my nerves now.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Opposing Farce posted:

Man everybody's talking about these giant case 3 spoilers.

I actually kind of liked Robin's character. I definitely see how it reads to people as a weird gender essentialism thing, but I interpreted it more charitably as a case of someone who's got a conflicted gender identity and doesn't know how to reconcile it. When she's posing as a boy, she feels that she has to silence her inner femininity, which is why she has those conflicted feelings of shame and fear and joy and excitement during the Mood Matrix sequence, but once she's outed she swings hard the other way because acting like an over-the-top girly girl is the only way she knows to express her repressed femininity. Neither the shouty shonen protagonist nor the twirly, vaguely coquettish valley girl are the 'real' Robin, but her gender insecurities mean those are the only tools she has for self-expression until she can find a way to craft her own identity. It's all rendered in over-the-top anime stereotypes, but I think the underlying character dynamic is surprisingly sympathetic and relatable especially considering the spotty track record these kinds of games have with gender issues.

CASE 3 DAY 2 SPOILERS: Yeah, I think this is basically it. I'm kind of on the fence about it: on the one hand, the wild switching between hypermasculine and hyperfeminine is really annoying and seems like a caricature due to the way Ace Attorney characters are written, but that effect does happen in real life to an extent and her circumstances make it pretty understandable why that would happen. I'm not totally happy with it and I wouldn't say it's handled great, but they probably did the best they could - like, I mean, they did well considering they're Capcom. But as it stands right now, it's more like an affect or something. It comes off as very unnatural and almost offensive if taken the wrong way.

It would have helped immensely if Robin had a bit more character development by the end of Day 1 or the beginning of Day 2, and started leveling out to a more natural state. That would show that she's come to terms with the whole gender oppression and expression thing and avoided the whole "minstrelsy" vibe it gives off. As it stands right now, it's more like an affect or something than natural, well-adjusted behavior. But then again, these things do take time, and it's understandable why she'd act that way, so I'm willing to forgive it. "Good potential, but needs improvement - C+" :eng101: :beck:

The important bit is that she seems less stressed and anxious now, and that's really paramount. At least Capcom let her have that, at the very least.

Opposing Farce posted:

I'm also not sure whether to read her as a ciswoman whose parents insisted on raising her as a boy for what seems to be an utterly baffling non-reason like the game implies or as a transwoman, which would seem to a better fit for her backstory and actions. I know she has a line about being a girl in body and spirit or whatever, but I'm not convinced that should be taken at face value and even though the game probably intends the former interpretation authorial intent doesn't necessarily matter here.

According to information on the internet it's the former, but I'm guessing she's meant to invoke both of them. The mechanics behind a cis girl being raised as a boy against her will and a trans girl being raised as a boy against her will are, well, pretty much identical. If it weren't for the whole brace thing (what the gently caress is that anyway), it could very well be ambiguous enough that Robin could possibly be either in equal likelihood.

Also, am I the only person that thought the ending of the Case 3 trial was loving hilarious? Especially with proving the statue was the victim and Means writing on the board at the end. (I almost feel bad for him. Almost.)

edit ohhhhh my god i hate you spoiler tags

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 26, 2013

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Pollyanna posted:

CASE 3 DAY 2 SPOILERS:
Also, am I the only person that thought the ending of the Case 3 trial was loving hilarious? Especially with proving the statue was the victim and Means writing on the board at the end. (I almost feel bad for him. Almost.)

No I just finished it and I was crying with laughter. Best breakdown ever.

Bathroom Duty
30% Salary Cut
Dismissal...?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Yeah, disregarding the spoilerchat stuff for a moment case 3's finale is fantastic. I probably spent a good five minutes laughing once Prof. Means pulled his hair into a mohawk :allears:

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 26, 2013

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Starting case 4 and gently caress this game just doesn't stop making GBS threads on poor Apollo, does it? :smith:

I mean sure Phoenix lost Mia but he didn't get exploded* immediately afterwards!

*hyperbole

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Opposing Farce posted:

Yeah, disregarding the spoilerchat stuff for a moment case 3's finale is fantastic. I probably spent a good five minutes laughing once Prof. Means pulled his hair into a mohawk :allears:
Mohawk Means was the best part of that case. :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Oh god, start of case 3 presenting your badge to Nick, and the newspaper to Juniper are both amazing. :allears:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Just finished. My full, in-depth review of the final case: :supaburn:

Game was pretty fantastic overall. There's totally flaws, of course, but the overall experience isn't ruined by them in the slightest.

EDIT: My full, in-depth review of the entire game: :allears:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How many cases are there again?

And yeah, I gotta say, this is probably tied with AA2 for me.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

Oh god, start of case 3 presenting your badge to Nick, and the newspaper to Juniper are both amazing. :allears:

Also, early case 3:the colors of those broken statues
could mean only one thing :allears: edit: darn it, wrong shade of purple !?

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Pollyanna posted:

How many cases are there again?

And yeah, I gotta say, this is probably tied with AA2 for me.

From what I've heard, it's 5 cases, with 4 and 5 being directly connected to each other.

• Locked thread