Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

fivegears4reverse posted:

Learning to fly helicopters in BF3 was the least fun thing I've done in a videogame, ever. Starting off with NOTHING to defend against incoming missiles, getting shot at by greedy assholes on my own team for taking the helicopter away, and if I managed to survive long enough to get away from my spawn, some rear end in a top hat skygod would descend from above and fire laser accurate gunfire or rocket barrages into my face. I ended up not even bothering, stuck to playing engineer (and watched as helicopters and jets made mockeries of nearly all forms of AA, while crying about how hard a time they had it).

Pretty sure AA was pretty well balanced against helicopters. You can majorly inconvenience a helicopter to the point of denying an area to them. In jet? What is AA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pre-loading :dance:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

teagone posted:

Pre-loading :dance:

24.4GB worth. -_o

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

24.4GB worth. -_o

I'm so glad I got a hard copy. I'm guessing there will be a patch as well for me though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Jippa posted:

I'm so glad I got a hard copy. I'm guessing there will be a patch as well for me though.

Yeah, I've got FiOS and I'm getting ~8MB/sec (at the moment) - it's still going to take the better part of an hour.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
24.5 GB, jesus!

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
preloading so hard right now

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

neonbregna posted:

preloading so hard right now

As are quite a few other people, as my 8MB/sec is now 4-6. :argh:

Oh well, not like I'll be able to actually *play* the thing at 100%.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Looks like Amazon is getting their origin codes too now. :woop:

Amazon posted:

Hello from Amazon Digital Games and Software

Your pre-order will be available on October 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM (US/Pacific). Your credit card has been charged.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Just got my email, pre-loading sooooooooooooooooo hard.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Rectus posted:

Since the gunner can get a SOFLAMM they've probably removed the CITV station from the tanks. That kind of sucks if it's true. Also, explosive defense screen for the gunner :getin:

RIP three-seat tanks. :(

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I've got FiOS and I'm getting ~8MB/sec (at the moment) - it's still going to take the better part of an hour.

Haha oh you poor thing.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Are there any websites that are selling Premium at a discount currently?

Jalapeno0
Mar 9, 2013
i got fios as well but the download speed is all over the place, few hours for me im thinking. and then i wait..... ....

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Rectus posted:

Since the gunner can get a SOFLAMM they've probably removed the CITV station from the tanks. That kind of sucks if it's true. Also, explosive defense screen for the gunner :getin:

How does the screen work? So does the secondary gunner have multiple weapons at their disposal now? In BF3 i pretty much swapped out the .50 as a tank driver as soon as something better came along. At first it was the chaff and then I got the heat optics and combined it with canister shot which made me unstoppable against foot mobiles. It was honestly kinda absurd you could basically snipe pubs across the map and were even formidable against helis and sometimes jets. I guess the point of this story is that I left the BMG behind and never looked. Ack but it was still nice to have a secondary gunner along for the ride even if it wasn't a huge difference. Nobody ever used the citv in the pubby servers I played unless they needed a tank taxi and even the. It's kinda pointless unless you coordinate with a javeliner or guided shell

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

How does the screen work? So does the secondary gunner have multiple weapons at their disposal now? In BF3 i pretty much swapped out the .50 as a tank driver as soon as something better came along. At first it was the chaff and then I got the heat optics and combined it with canister shot which made me unstoppable against foot mobiles. It was honestly kinda absurd you could basically snipe pubs across the map and were even formidable against helis and sometimes jets. I guess the point of this story is that I left the BMG behind and never looked. Ack but it was still nice to have a secondary gunner along for the ride even if it wasn't a huge difference. Nobody ever used the citv in the pubby servers I played unless they needed a tank taxi and even the. It's kinda pointless unless you coordinate with a javeliner or guided shell

It probably works the same as the one in the BF3 mobile artillery, it fires the explosives when you press the countermeasure button.

The canister shell in BF3 got nerfed hard, so everyone switched to using the big machine gun.

Rectus fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 26, 2013

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Got my code from Amazon. Preloading now.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm going to buy this ga r for me and my bff who is also technically a goon because I bought him am accoun even though he never reads the forums or whatever. Is there like a team we can play on with ppl? We're both pretty good online shooty gamers not like counter strike good but we like to chat a lot with jokes and stuff. We both have sweet work computers to play on cheers
Sent from my iPhone

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm going to buy this ga r for me and my bff who is also technically a goon because I bought him am accoun even though he never reads the forums or whatever. Is there like a team we can play on with ppl? We're both pretty good online shooty gamers not like counter strike good but we like to chat a lot with jokes and stuff. We both have sweet work computers to play on cheers

There will be an inevitable rush of "here's my Battlelog name, send me a friend request" posts on release day, but there is no formal platoon/clan system (at least there won't be at launch).

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm impressed, whatever server I'm connected to is humming right along:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'm impressed, whatever server I'm connected to is humming right along:

:smug:

So the $5 origin coupon codes don't work for buying games on Origin. They work for buying Battlepacks. :shepface:

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Out of curiosity, is that a download size of 24G or an on-disk size of 24G? Also, how is it only half the size of COD:G?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Leb posted:

Out of curiosity, is that a download size of 24G or an on-disk size of 24G? Also, how is it only half the size of COD:G?

Dog and fish AI is an intensive coding endeavor.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

jisforjosh posted:

Dog and fish AI is an intensive coding endeavor.

You mean perfectly round scopes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Leb posted:

I'm assuming on-disk size will be a bit bigger post install. Also, I didn't expect I'd be downloading at my actual rated internet speed of 3MB/s. Good servers :)

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

My provider seems to have uncapped me when I bitched at the slow speeds and had several techs come out. It isn't even an offered speed. So I'm staying quiet to them.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

My provider seems to have uncapped me when I bitched at the slow speeds and had several techs come out. It isn't even an offered speed. So I'm staying quiet to them.

My ISP just told me to deal with it and stopped answering/returning my calls.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Ularg posted:

My ISP just told me to deal with it and stopped answering/returning my calls.

Were you being polite or a hard rear end? I was polite and was cracking jokes to the cute sounding girls as well.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Were you being polite or a hard rear end? I was polite and was cracking jokes to the cute sounding girls as well.

I'm polite, my family are assholes. I can't really help them. I haven't talked to the ISP in a month or so. I need to do that again right as the new generation comes out so I'm not stuck in the Dreamcast internet days.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

My copy won't come until Friday since I decided to get it for cheap on Amazon. drat it UK release dates! :argh:

peabody624
Dec 12, 2006

Classic Korean VPN goon rush?

http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_4/comments/1p9cvb/you_will_not_be_banned_for_activating_via_a_vpn/

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

It's Space Marines for me all over again!

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Oh man I cannot wait to see how these work.

Do you have a vid showing all the chopper unlocks?

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!

Ularg posted:

It's Space Marines for me all over again!

It's Battlefield 3 for me :D

PRELOADING HARD

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Keep getting a "download failed" error when I hit 40%...I'll try again later.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Why are they calling it a JDAM? A JDAM or (Joint Direct Attack Munition) is a guidance kit that converts a dumb bomb into a guided bomb... The ingame text in the screenshot states it's a dumb bomb.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Steeltalon posted:

Why are they calling it a JDAM? A JDAM or (Joint Direct Attack Munition) is a guidance kit that converts a dumb bomb into a guided bomb... The ingame text in the screenshot states it's a dumb bomb.

It's dumb in game until someone designates a target I think.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Steeltalon posted:

I am guessing recon will be able to guide it with PLDs

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

but... but.. JDAMs arent laser guided they are GPS guided. Paveways are laser guided, the picture in the screenshot is a Paveway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

...Wow. Don't shut down your PC or Origin while preloading Battlefield 4. Your entire progress is reset and you'll have to re-download everything you already downloaded.

God drat it, EA. Steam understood the concept of downloading in parts. Are we stuck in the early 2000s where we have to download everything in one chunk, or you're hosed?

• Locked thread