Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I'm only getting to the end of Case 2 now, having had to leave the 3DS to my sister for a while, but holy gently caress, trail blazing a red line of thought is probably the most epic way to finally come to a conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

I'm only getting to the end of Case 2 now, having had to leave the 3DS to my sister for a while, but holy gently caress, trail blazing a red line of thought is probably the most epic way to finally come to a conclusion.

I suuuuper like that new feature and I'll hope they use it even more in AA6 (please make AA6 Capcom). The theme is amazing, one of my three favorite (new) tracks in the game.

Scher
Sep 15, 2011

~Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~

Sherringford posted:

Halfway through case 4, I never thought I'd say this, but I wish I were playing as Apollo right now. Kind of feels like this case should belong to him.

I would definitely agree with this. I'm only at the second day of trial, but this case really is all about him. It's about his past and his friend and pretty much everything that made him who he is now. Instead, he's off being angsty with a jacket on his shoulders.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've just reached the second investigation phase of Case 3.

Fulbright is great, but I'm missing Gumshoe. I'm missing his theme even more than the man himself.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Just finished Case 3 and really, Yuri Lowenthal? You didn't even try for a German accent? At least the 4-3 allusions were carried through with the choice of song, which mercifully cut out after a few moments. Odd that no one mentioned Lamiroir at all though. You'd think that'd be a big deal what with being a well known singer who's attire was plagiarised by Junie, not to mention the mother of half her defence team!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Huh. So it turns out if you lose all of your life bar, you get an option to try again and the games boots you to just before your last decision with a full life bar. Which is nice when you're just save scumming anyway, but it does kind of raise the question why there even is a life bar in the first place. Besides for dramatic effect, that is.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Huh. So it turns out if you lose all of your life bar, you get an option to try again and the games boots you to just before your last decision with a full life bar. Which is nice when you're just save scumming anyway, but it does kind of raise the question why there even is a life bar in the first place. Besides for dramatic effect, that is.

A true lawyer refuses to even allow the existence of alternate universes where their client is found guilty. :colbert:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Strange Quark posted:

I guess so that you don't immediately get a game over and have to reload if you make the wrong decision once or twice.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Yinlock posted:

I like when Phoenix is being Cool Dad, too. They've formed this weird makeshift family and it works surprisingly well.

Quoting this from a few pages back because I thought so too. Phoenix is still doofy in his own way but he tries to act all responsible (like where I am in case 4, he muses about trying to be a good mentor to Apollo and Athena). I like this whole cast's interactions, really. Athena gets some great Examine conversations that really take me back to having Maya around in the original PW. Apollo is likeable and his dynamic with Athena feels really good (both case 2 and 3 had bits where they joke with each other, and prop each other up during cases). Blackquill and the defense team also play off each other in a great way. Fulbright is a ton of fun (theme song owns).

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Beat it and I'm already getting withdrawals. How many years am I going to have to wait for the AA6 Capcom?! Great game, a wonderful return to form. I probably place it at 2nd favorite under AA1.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I was disappointed to find out that there was nothing that seemed to link Solomon Starbuck to Sister Bikini. It's like the first thing I thought of when I saw him sigh, like, "this guy must be Bikini's grandkid or something".

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Dragonatrix posted:

Just finished Case 3 and really, Yuri Lowenthal? You didn't even try for a German accent? At least the 4-3 allusions were carried through with the choice of song, which mercifully cut out after a few moments. Odd that no one mentioned Lamiroir at all though. You'd think that'd be a big deal what with being a well known singer who's attire was plagiarised by Junie, not to mention the mother of half her defence team!

I never really imagined him having one. Yeah, he's from Germany, but eh, it seemed more like he was throwing around phrases just to sound cool instead of actually sounding German.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Superstring posted:

Beat it and I'm already getting withdrawals. How many years am I going to have to wait for the AA6 Capcom?! Great game, a wonderful return to form. I probably place it at 2nd favorite under AA1.

There is one confirmed DLC case featuring a mustached Orca so you'll be able to freebase a little bit more content before we go back to waiting forever.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Momomo posted:

I never really imagined him having one. Yeah, he's from Germany, but eh, it seemed more like he was throwing around phrases just to sound cool instead of actually sounding German.

I agree. The gratuitous German was pretty obviously just a part of his whole Euro rocker persona. If he really wasn't all that familiar with English, he'd be making more of an effort to use basic words like "yes" or whatever.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Putting this under end-game spoilers even if it doesn't directly concern it...

Am I the only person that really didn't like Fulbright at all?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does the Japanese script try and maintain that This Country isn't Japan?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

No, the Japanese script has the game taking place in Japan.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
It kinda ties into why Phoenix is semi-(in)famous in universe, because Japan has a notably high conviction rate. Actually managing to win as a defence attorney is rare under any circumstances, let alone repeatedly and in a row. Capcom was actually pretty ballsy to make a lawyer as the main character on that point.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Case 5 spoilers:

A part of me thinks that this Edgeworth/Phoenix trial is too over the top to take seriously, but a bigger part of me thinks it's so goddamn rad. Exploded courtroom, cutscene, the only thing missing is a guitar riff.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Astro Nut posted:

It kinda ties into why Phoenix is semi-(in)famous in universe, because Japan has a notably high conviction rate. Actually managing to win as a defence attorney is rare under any circumstances, let alone repeatedly and in a row. Capcom was actually pretty ballsy to make a lawyer as the main character on that point.

Even the way the entire courtroom is constantly against Phoenix, practically allowing the prosecution to get away with murder while chastising the defense for each small infraction, is supposed to be a statement about the Japanese legal system.

I mean hell, one piece of accidental forged evidence was enough to cost Wright his badge while the prosecutors lie and tamper all the time and just go "oh silly me!"

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Gutcruncher posted:

Even the way the entire courtroom is constantly against Phoenix, practically allowing the prosecution to get away with murder while chastising the defense for each small infraction, is supposed to be a statement about the Japanese legal system.

I mean hell, one piece of accidental forged evidence was enough to cost Wright his badge while the prosecutors lie and tamper all the time and just go "oh silly me!"

And sometimes, they literally let the prosecution get away with murder! :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cake Attack posted:

Tokyo, to be specific.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Pollyanna posted:

Putting this under end-game spoilers even if it doesn't directly concern it...

Am I the only person that really didn't like Fulbright at all?

For my taste, he comes off as a bit too energetic at first, eventhough I really liked his interactions with Athena during the second case and how disappointed she got when he was willing to give Phoenix all information without any coercing on her part. The moment that really sold me on Fulbright, though, was when he tasered Blackquill. That's got to be a first in Ace Attorney, right? Everybody always throws mugs, and wigs at Phoenix, but the prosecution can just get away with anything. It was really cathartic for me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

And More posted:

For my taste, he comes off as a bit too energetic at first, eventhough I really liked his interactions with Athena during the second case and how disappointed she got when he was willing to give Phoenix all information without any coercing on her part. The moment that really sold me on Fulbright, though, was when he tasered Blackquill. That's got to be a first in Ace Attorney, right? Everybody always throws mugs, and wigs at Phoenix, but the prosecution can just get away with anything. It was really cathartic for me.

Yeah, that wasn't too bad and I liked him a little bit more after that, but still not all that much.

ENDGAME SPOILERS:

...and then we find out his actual identity and now it just seems utterly disgusting in hindsight.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Cake Attack posted:

I like to imagine somebody on the localization team playing through one of these games for the first time, reaching a case like the second one in this game, and thinking "oh goddammit."

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Even just Maya and her whole village thing. The thought of Kurian Village or that place in 3-5 in california somewhere is just hilarious to me.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Amppelix posted:

I think justifying the Not Japan thing really clumsily has just become series tradition by this point, much like grape juice (which sadly doesn't make an appearance).

Actually, now that I think about it, almost none of the series traditions make an appearance. You can't examine charley or the detention center guard, there is a stepladder but nobody talks about it, etc.

This.... I'm trying so hard no to throw my game against the wall in disbelief. It must happen... it must.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

The first game seemed to localize fairly easily, except Mayas outfit I guess. I wonder if they knew how much of a stretch "this is totally America, guys" was gonna be in later games or if it was all a big fun surprise.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Just beat it! Wow, what a loving rollercoaster. I did most of case 4 and 5 today in a bit of a marathon, well worth the time spent.

I loving loved Fulbright, I was utterly crushed when I came to the realisation seconds before Phoenix did! He's probably my favourite villain in the series (excluding Godot who isn't really a villain). His breakdown was horrifying. I think the last section of trial had a bit of an Alba issue going on, it went on forever when the climax was really Fulbright being exposed, but I still loved every second. Especially Fulbright fiddling with his watch then zipping up to the ceiling on a wire. :haw:

The whole ending was so heartwarming. And the post-credits scene... "I'll be fine." :3:

Edgeworth showing up and doing a full trial with Phoenix was so silly and probably shouldn't ever have happened but I am a complete sucker for that kind of fanservice.

Loved Apollo's character across case 4 and 5, knew he'd come through in the end. I got really sad when everyone was furious with him and it came out that he just needed to be able to trust Athena for real, thought that was pretty powerful. :cry:

Maya's letter made my week. This whole game made my year. Loved every moment, even the dumb poo poo. There was even a proper AJ-style item examination. Only the one, but at least it was there.

And it still let me shout the last objection. GOTY.

Great game. So, so happy with it.

But Klavier never played air guitar so really I am just furious :mad:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I love how "Europe!" has become the series excuse for poo poo now. Why is Ema so odd now? Europe! Hold on, she's a lawyer at 18? Europe!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

The first game seemed to localize fairly easily, except Mayas outfit I guess. I wonder if they knew how much of a stretch "this is totally America, guys" was gonna be in later games or if it was all a big fun surprise.

Whoever translates these probably thinks of it as a running joke at this point. "Yeah, a bunch of Japanese immigrants came over to found a demon wrestling theme park. That sounds believable."

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Well we already know people can qualify as prosecutors in Germany at age 13, so this shouldn't come as too much of a surprise.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 28, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Austrian mook posted:

I love how "Europe!" has become the series excuse for poo poo now.

"Now?" It's been like that since the second game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

Well, the first game that got localized was the DS port/special edition of the first game which was released after the entire Phoenix trilogy was released on GBA.

So it's not like there was no way to know.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, the first game that got localized was the DS port/special edition of the first game which was released after the entire Phoenix trilogy was released on GBA.

So it's not like there was no way to know.

Oh they certainly couldve know, but did they know?

Mr. Capcom: "Here guys translate this weird courtroom game but make Americans like it dont ask questions"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

At least it's not as bad as Trauma Center. The first game was set in Japan, but localized to be in America. Then a game came out later in the series that was actually set in America, directly contradicting the first game.

AND THEN the characters went to Japan to see the protagonist of the first game.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Dragonatrix posted:

"Now?" It's been like that since the second game.

To be fair, "Europe" being an excuse for people being weird is an excuse in real life too. :v:

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Man, I just got this game and am at the beginning of Case 2. Gotta say, Mr.Emo Clown Samurai prosecutor works a lot better than I though he would. He and Fullbright make an amazing duo. I guess it helps that part of me can't help but see Blackquill as kind a dork, regardless of whether or not the writers intended that. The inmate stories work well.

Also nice to see that the prosecution finally gets in the weird borderline supernatural powers thing too! Yes I know the suggestion thing is supposed to be PSYCHOLOGY and SCIENCE but I like to imagine that he has an entire thing where he has to determine what statements and the right "trigger phrase" in order for the suggestion thing to work and we don't get to see it

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Case 5 (major)spoilers:

You know Apollo, I get suspecting Athena. I really do. That makes sense. But prolonging a trial that keeps your mentor's daughter as a hostage even though you could have just, you know, waited a goddamn day to do this? Dick move. Dickest of moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Sherringford posted:

Case 5 (major)spoilers:

You know Apollo, I get suspecting Athena. I really do. That makes sense. But prolonging a trial that keeps your mentor's daughter as a hostage even though you could have just, you know, waited a goddamn day to do this? Dick move. Dickest of moves.

I was so waiting for Phoenix to shout out "You idiot! Your sister is one of the hostages and Aura's threatened to kill her!" "...my sister?" "...poo poo, did I forget to tell you that?".

• Locked thread